$29 battery exchanges for iPhone 6 and newer now available at most Apple retail locations

Comments

• Reply 21 of 81
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    lewchenko said:
    Wonder why they said it only runs till end 2018 though for cheaper replacements?
    I’m sure many 7 series will be carrying lower capacity batteries well beyond 2018. 

I also hope they start putting higher capacity batteries on the next iPhones too. Another couple of millimetres is a welcome trade in my opinion.

Still not not updating my phone to ios 11.2 though. 
    Don’t fancy having a gimped cpu / gpu in months to come. Would rather it just started shutting down ... atleast I know it needs a new battery then. 

There is no problem with the battery, just the realisation by people that they need to change their battery, especially if keep using their phone more and more.
    People are now on their phone all day long without respite doing computer stuff, photography, gps, etc, while battery tech has not improved much.
    Web sites these days are Even 5 years ago, people used their phones a lot less.much more computationally intensive and big.

Even 5 years ago, people used their phones a lot less.

Processor , chipset and screen efficiency has crawled back some of this if you kept doing the same thing as before... But most are not, they're for example keeping their GPS and bluetooth on all day long and in use which few were doing not so long.

If you want the most compact powerful phone and use it all day long, well right now that means making choices. Seems people were doing magical thinking and thinking they could have a phone that last 2 years without changing the battery even if they do full cycle charges a few times a day! That's simply not possible.

Its basically an education job Apple have failed at.. The funny thing is that Apple's issues are the industry's issue. I'm sure Samsung and the rest are happy that Apple is doing a job they'd have to do themselves soon.

The Iphone has already grown 1.3mm since it was its  most thin.
    It's aready pretty heavy, especially in plus size, a few mm would increase its weight nearly 50% (if that's mostly battery, batteries are heavy); it is probable that people DON'T WANT THAT.

That's the thing, people want it all and basically people need to tell them clearly that there is a tradeoff. If Apple just makes phones thicker without them being knowledgeable able that, they'll just complain that its too thick and heavy.

edited December 2017 racerhomie3Rayz2016StrangeDays
  • Reply 22 of 81
    HI guys, I downloaded the App, 'Battery Life' (Free-No affiliation)....My SE is fine (Green) but my GF's iPhone 6 is average (Orange).

Also, my GF's had a message from Apple, Settings>Battery "Your iPhone battery may need to be serviced."

Best.

My girlfriend iPhone 6 is bad (33%). :open_mouth: 
    racerhomie3
  • Reply 23 of 81
    matrix077 said:
    HI guys, I downloaded the App, 'Battery Life' (Free-No affiliation)....My SE is fine (Green) but my GF's iPhone 6 is average (Orange).

Also, my GF's had a message from Apple, Settings>Battery "Your iPhone battery may need to be serviced."

Best.

It's 3 years old, she should have already changed the battery if she's a heavy user (and even if she isn't, she may have been pushing it).
    racerhomie3argonaut
  • Reply 24 of 81
    cgWerks said:
    StrangeDays said:
    It’s never been about driving new phone sales, so no, that is not a loss. I doubt they’re losing money on the battery either. 
    And, you know that how? If it weren't, then why not just pop a dialog directing people to the relatively inexpensive battery replacement to gain speed back?
    Also, if that $29 includes the battery, time to do it, and processing the transaction, they are almost certainly losing money.

foggyhill said:
    It will delay a new phone sales, but the good will will mean Apple is getting that next sale. 
    Iphone sales cycles are getting longer and longer anyway.
    I agree. But, I can't imagine there was no discussion about how to implement this slow-down, and the call was made to not alert the users. Why? Who wouldn't want to know their device was slowing and they could fix it for a relatively small amount of money? Ignorance is bliss when it involves new phone sales, apparently.
    This is a good-will move, but trying to repair a bad-will one. If they'd done it right in the first place, it could have been a feature and all positive (except it might have delayed upgrading...).

foggyhill said:
    You were really getting a new phone instead of spending $50 bucks more? What?
    The average person... or even the technical among us, would have just added the imposed slowing to our knowledge about OS and software also having this impact... and would have likely just upgraded. I had never thought to replace the battery on any of my older iDevices, though they were all pre this intentional slowing.

Chuckit said:
    The damage is done!  Steve is rolling in his grave.  Slippery slope has been a theme and will be from here on out. 
    This is minor in the big picture, but I suppose it's way more visible to the average person than the more serious stuff. Add some MSM spin, and viola! Black eye for Apple.
    It wasn't "silent" , there was an indicator in settings seemingly. But, probably need to be more in people's face it seems.

I thought it was already common knowledge that batteries need to be replace even in normal usage from 2-3 years old phones.
    If you have way above normal usage this replacement can even be near the 18 months period.

What has changed is that more and more people are trending towards heavy use, SOC and other features on the phone have increasing peak demands on batteries, while at the same time keeping their phones longer (cause features are sufficient).

In the past, heavy users that would have swapped the battery out, instead bought new phones after a year (because they'd get many other improvements)
    while now, the same issue hits people will longer replacement cycles (features are enough) despite their use trending towards what heavy users tended to do. Even traditional phone yearly upgraders (who thus avoided the problem) are now stretching out to 2 years and are hit by it (like by the time their first year is over like we've seen in forums).

So, the ignorance is "bliss" here seemingly applies to phone buyers who can be as mad and in a huff as they want as long as they claim they bought something without knowing wtf they were getting into. This claim made tenuous by the face batteries being an annoying consumable is a well worn 100+ year old knowledge and the longevity of cell phone batteries in iphone's can be ascertained by one quick Google.

Apple (and other makers), now need to educate the user that they can't have it all, if they want a thin light device with zillions of features they use all day long, they either need to buy phones with bigger batteries (and not complain about the weight), carry a battery pack (some already do) or replace their battery.

edited December 2017 racerhomie3revenantcolinngmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 25 of 81
    matrix077 said:

Best.

Sorry to read that, Matrix. Does her phone have this message from Apple?

Go to: Settings>Battery "Your iPhone battery may need to be serviced."

Best.
  • Reply 26 of 81
    matrix077 said:

Best.

Best.
    Yes, it has. :smile: 
    it’s normal though. She’s always a heavy user (use her phone all day long). I’m just surprised st how well yours holding up. 
    racerhomie3
  • Reply 27 of 81
    matrix077 said:
    matrix077 said:

Best.

Best.
    it’s normal though. She’s always a heavy user (use her phone all day long). I’m just surprised st how well yours holding up. 
    There are different types of "heavy" users, if you use your phone mostly as a communication device, you'll likely finish the day near 30-40%. on a new phone.
    Doing full cycles (near 0 to 100%) is the worst for batteries. If the battery almost always remains in the 20-80% range, it will last way way way longer. That's why Ipad batteries tend to never need changing, we often don't let them go to 100% (at least I do) and I often put it back on chargin way before it falls bellow 30%. Of course, Ipads often get less heated (not used as often outside, they're bigger, not used in cramped space like back pockets).

Got an Ipad 2 from early 2011 still chugging around (yeah, it's pretty slow browsing the web, but it does work well to read books, listen to music and watch video and connect to other members of the ecosystem).

If you charge your phone every time you can (not using intensely while it charges) and don't use to do heavy things (like gaming) while plugged in or running near zero (reducing exposure to high temps and high load on the battery while the battery is at 100% or near 0) or use it in warm or very cold conditions especially near 0 and 100% (to again reduce stress on battery ).

It may last quite a long time. Had a 3GS battery that lasted 5 years with though it had a lot of shutdowns in the last 6 months before the battery got changed).

edited December 2017 cgWerksmuthuk_vanalingamargonaut
  • Reply 28 of 81
    matrix077 said:
    matrix077 said:

Best.

Best.
    Get it replaced!

• Reply 29 of 81
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    matrix077 said:
    matrix077 said:

Best.

Best.
    And there it is folks: the warning that is apparently non-existent. 

Now, the trick is to make it easy to find. I don’t want an app that users have run; that’s not elegant. 

What they should do (he said) is run the test every time a password is required to get into the phone. 

Or is that too often? I imagine running the test will cause a slight drain on the battery. 

Perhaps every time the OS is upgraded or the phone is switched on. The problem there is that some folk might go for months without restarting the phone, and a year between OS upgrades. 

Stick with plan 1 then: check the bat…

No wait!

Duh!

Check it every time the phone is plugged in (or laid on a charging mat). 
    edited December 2017
  • Reply 30 of 81
    cgWerks said:
    I bet the marketing department now wishes they'd have just gone with the dialog box and $79 replacements. Now, they maybe even lose money at $29, plus new phone sales.
    It’s never been about driving new phone sales, so no, that is not a loss. I doubt they’re losing money on the battery either. 
    You know what’s odd? IFixit could match the price on the batteries, which makes me think that the markup on these things must be eye-watering. 

Even so, the cost of this will be practically invisible. Samsung’s “burning Note” debacle cost them $3billion, and as I said it would at the time, had a neglible long-term effect. 

edited December 2017 randominternetpersonmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 31 of 81
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    foggyhill said:
    It wasn't "silent" , there was an indicator in settings seemingly. But, probably need to be more in people's face it seems.

I thought it was already common knowledge that batteries need to be replace even in normal usage from 2-3 years old phones.
    Apple (and other makers), now need to educate the user that they can't have it all, if they want a thin light device with zillions of features they use all day long, they either need to buy phones with bigger batteries (and not complain about the weight), carry a battery pack (some already do) or replace their battery.

Maybe there was some indicator, but I don't think it was linked with the slowdown. That's the problem here. Apple slowed down the device (with good reason), but didn't tell people they were doing it or why. There are only a few possibilities as to why not... either they thought it would seem negative, and decided to just keep it quiet. Or, they thought people would be more likely to upgrade if they didn't remind them they needed a new battery to restore performance. Either way, they messed up.

But, I'm not sure it is common knowledge as you say. Yes, we know batteries - before Lithium Ion - often died quickly, but people have gotten used to Lithium Ion now... and in other devices, the batteries are often essentially lifetime (laptops, iPads, iPods). My son drains his iPad battery at least once each day, fully, and we just sold his old iPad mini and the battery life was just fine, after several years of use. I've drained and charged laptops, iPod touch, etc. nearly daily, at least half or more, and used them for years.

While I'm somewhat new to iPhones, even as a tech person, I wouldn't have assumed I'd have to replace the battery after 2 years. I'm now 1 year into my iPhone SE, and the "Battery Life" app shows a 3% degradation. I assume I'd get several years yet, though maybe not.

And, it isn't the users who are demanding unreasonably thin phones with long battery life... that's Apple's peculiar fetish. The users just want all-day battery life, minimally, under typical usage.

Rayz2016 said:
    You know what’s odd? IFixit could match the price on the batteries, which makes me think that the markup on these things must be eye-watering. 

Even so, the cost of this will be practically invisible. Samsung’s “burning Note” debacle cost them $3billion, and as I said it would at the time, had a neglible long-term effect. 
    It's not so much the cost of the battery, but the time and hassle for a technician to do it and process the paperwork and such. You're not going to get a whole lot of human intervention + parts for $29.

But, no, this won't put any kind of major dent in Apple, at least not monetarily. But, if they had instead created a good dialog directing people to the $79 service, it would have saved them a black eye and increased their profits (though maybe it would have slowed phone upgrades... which is probably why they decided to keep it quiet). If you dispute this, then explain why they didn't pop up a dialog and claim it as a feature. If they had done so, this would have all been mostly positive news.... i.e.: advanced power management that monitors your battery and keeps your phone stable, reminding you when it is time for battery replacement to maintain optimal performance.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 32 of 81
    foggyhill said:
    matrix077 said:
    matrix077 said:

Best.

Best.
    There are different types of "heavy" users, if you use your phone mostly as a communication device, you'll likely finish the day near 30-40%. on a new phone.
    Doing full cycles (near 0 to 100%) is the worst for batteries. If the battery almost always remains in the 20-80% range, it will last way way way longer. That's why Ipad batteries tend to never need changing, we often don't let them go to 100% (at least I do) and I often put it back on chargin way before it falls bellow 30%. Of course, Ipads often get less heated (not used as often outside, they're bigger, not used in cramped space like back pockets).

Got an Ipad 2 from early 2011 still chugging around (yeah, it's pretty slow browsing the web, but it does work well to read books, listen to music and watch video and connect to other members of the ecosystem).

If you charge your phone every time you can (not using intensely while it charges) and don't use to do heavy things (like gaming) while plugged in or running near zero (reducing exposure to high temps and high load on the battery while the battery is at 100% or near 0) or use it in warm or very cold conditions especially near 0 and 100% (to again reduce stress on battery ).

It may last quite a long time. Had a 3GS battery that lasted 5 years with though it had a lot of shutdowns in the last 6 months before the battery got changed).

She's a heavy user in the sense that her phone almost always be completely depleted by the time she's back home. I guess that's why her battery is in such a bad state. But now she got Apple smart battery case I guess it won't be this bad again.
  • Reply 33 of 81
    foggyhill said:
    matrix077 said:
    matrix077 said:

Best.

Best.

She's a heavy user in the sense that her phone almost always be completely depleted by the time she's back home. I guess that's why her battery is in such a bad state. But now she got Apple smart battery case I guess it won't be this bad again.
  • Reply 34 of 81
    matrix077 said:
    foggyhill said:
    matrix077 said:
    matrix077 said:

Best.

Best.

It might be worth runnng through the app list and making sure that no apps are constantly trying to access the phone’s current location. 

I can’t  think of many cases where an app should need to access your location while you’re not using the app. 
    edited December 2017
  • Reply 35 of 81
    foggyhill said:

If you have way above normal usage this replacement can even be near the 18 months period.

What has changed is that more and more people are trending towards heavy use, SOC and other features on the phone have increasing peak demands on batteries, while at the same time keeping their phones longer (cause features are sufficient).

In the past, heavy users that would have swapped the battery out, instead bought new phones after a year (because they'd get many other improvements)
    while now, the same issue hits people will longer replacement cycles (features are enough) despite their use trending towards what heavy users tended to do. Even traditional phone yearly upgraders (who thus avoided the problem) are now stretching out to 2 years and are hit by it (like by the time their first year is over like we've seen in forums).

So, the ignorance is "bliss" here seemingly applies to phone buyers who can be as mad and in a huff as they want as long as they claim they bought something without knowing wtf they were getting into. This claim made tenuous by the face batteries being an annoying consumable is a well worn 100+ year old knowledge and the longevity of cell phone batteries in iphone's can be ascertained by one quick Google.

seriously! though I disagree with your last point- people should stop being morons and learn something about commodities. 

I remember when me droid mates were always saying how much better their phone was because they could just swap the batteries when the other one died during the day allowing it to be charged and the phone still working untethered. they knew then that the battery was not going to last forever.

the friggen battery in our cars have to be replaced ffs, can you imagine bitching at your car dealer because your car did not start and you want a free battery. 

mind you this is for phones that are (more than likely) over a year old and apple does not have to work on them at all. 

and, unless my memory is off, most android phones do not see a software upgrade (and they too shut off if the battery is drained by a process requiring more power).

we have the battery technology to make the batteries last longer, but the infrastructure to make the lithium ion we all know so well is firmly in place and will probably not leave anytime soon. 
  • Reply 36 of 81
    matrix077 said:
    matrix077 said:

Best.

Best.
    Yep, I'll be taking her to the Apple Store for the $29 swap. Pretty good deal!

Yes, I was surprised my SE was perfect, too. I am not a heavy user, though. Mostly texting, checking weather, and credit card balance.

My average monthly cellphone bill (Ting) is less than $24 last month. Winning!

I probably will get the new SE if it has wireless charging. I like the size. I also plan on getting the new LTE watch so I can leave my iPhone in the car or at home more! :)

Best Regards and Happy New Year! :)
    edited December 2017
  • Reply 37 of 81
    nrg2nrg2 Posts: 18member
    But, I'm not sure it is common knowledge as you say. Yes, we know batteries - before Lithium Ion - often died quickly, but people have gotten used to Lithium Ion now... and in other devices, the batteries are often essentially lifetime (laptops, iPads, iPods). My son drains his iPad battery at least once each day, fully, and we just sold his old iPad mini and the battery life was just fine, after several years of use. I've drained and charged laptops, iPod touch, etc. nearly daily, at least half or more, and used them for years.
    Lithium ion batteries in most manufacturers laptops are generally expected to last far less time than you give them credit. I am a system support analyst at a global company, with our primary computers coming from, shall we say brand “D”. I mainly support our local office of 300-400 employees with about 75% of systems being laptops. We have to replace laptop batteries that no longer hold a charge quite regularly in the office I support and the ones my colleagues support at other locations around the globe. In fact even if the system has the three year warranty coverage, “D” only covers the battery for one year, unless a special extended warranty is purchased specific to the battery. Not only is that a common occurrence, in the past year, I have worked on two “D” systems that have batteries bulging out of their plastic housing. “D” does let you find out the battery status - but it’s not through any readily apparent function - it requires booting to the onboard diagnostics and checking the battery health. In my experience if the health of the battery shows less than 60% the laptop usually runs for a half hour or less when not plugged in.  

In contrast, at least our secondary brand of systems - Apple, covers the battery with the three year AppleCare+ warranty during that full timeframe. Though, I have yet to run across any of our MacBook Pro systems that need a battery replacement for any reason. That said, you also mention iPods lasting the lifetime of the product and that is certainly erroneous - I have helped family members replace the batteries on iPod classics, Mini’s and Nano’s and I’m sure many others have done so also. 

So in summation, lithium ion batteries are not some error proof energy source and are subject to many variables in how well they function and last.

As for having an iPhone pop up with messages and such if there are issues with the battery, I think this would be an incredibly horrible way to handle it and anyone that works in support would know why. A certain percentage of people would be sent into a panic seeing it and another percentage would just tap “OK” not reading it and live in ignorance. A more simple means would be to make the battery symbol border on the phone go red and periodically flash to alert of a problem or an overlay similar to the charging lightning bolt of a red arrow pointing down to symbolize lower performance. The battery icon could then also be made to bring up a statistics and health page by tapping on it. 
    matrix077argonaut
  • Reply 38 of 81
    BebeBebe Posts: 145member
    foggyhill said:
    Well, my battery on my 6s had been creeping to becoming a problem, and suddenly with this price I’m not thinking of getting an other phone. So good for the customers and good for the environment. 
    You were really getting a new phone instead of spending $50 bucks more? What?

Never understood that. At least I hope you were selling your old one.
    I thought the poster is saying ... he is not getting a new phone with this offer.  Am I reading it wrong?
  • Reply 39 of 81
    BebeBebe Posts: 145member
    matrix077 said:
    matrix077 said:

Best.

Best.
    Mine old 6S+ is 34% per the Battery Life app, but >Settings >Battery> is not showing the message, "need to be serviced".  What am I missing?
  • Reply 40 of 81
    r2d2r2d2 Posts: 95member
    revenant said:

the friggen battery in our cars have to be replaced ffs, can you imagine bitching at your car dealer because your car did not start and you want a free battery. 

and, unless my memory is off, most android phones do not see a software upgrade (and they too shut off if the battery is drained by a process requiring more power).

If my car manufacture introduced an upgrade to my car's SW to cover a dying battery that wouldn't let my car go over 45 mph and didn't tell me what the upgrade did - you're darn right I'd be complaining. And people that compare OS updates don't understand the difference in the way the two systems do updates. 
    cgWerksClarityToSeemuthuk_vanalingam