Samsung Galaxy Note 8 users reportedly unable to recharge completely flat battery

Posted:
in General Discussion
Samsung's Note line of smartphones is continuing to have battery-related issues, with reports of owners discovering their Note 8 fails to recharge at all once the power level for the battery hits zero percent, a problem the South Korean electronics giant has acknowledged and is attempting to rectify.

The current Galaxy Note 8 battery issue is actually one suffered by other smartphones and tablets, in that a small amount of battery power is required by the phone itself to allow its power management system to function. If there isn't enough available charge to power the phone to a point where it is capable of managing the incoming power from a cable, the phone simply shuts off again.

According to comments received by Android Authority, this issue also extends to the Galaxy S8 in a small number of cases, but hasn't been widely reported.

A statement from Samsung provided to Engadget claims the company has received "a very limited number of reports which could be associated with the power management circuit." A spokesperson added Samsung was "unable to comment further" until it is able to "obtain more specific information from the phone."

Samsung advises customers affected by the problem or with questions about their Note 8 to contact the company directly. Samsung community forum posts indicate some users are receiving replacement devices under warranty, with company representatives also collecting information about the problematic handsets.

While sending the faulty Note 8 back is the main way of getting out of the situation, users not willing to give up their device may be able to resurrect it by "Stack Charging," as advised on the Android Central forums. The lengthy process involves plugging the charging cable into the device for a few seconds before the charging control process starts running, then pulling the cable out and repeating, adding charge incrementally over the course of 20 minutes or longer.

This is a different problem to the ill-fated Note 7, as this relates to the power management circuitry and a lack of trickle-power required from a depleted battery still needed to start the charging process, and is ultimately less hazardous to Note 8 users. For the Note 7, a faulty design and bad processes in manufacturing the battery used in the device caused it to overheat and rupture, causing fires and the production of toxic plumes of smoke.

The fault prompted a widespread recall of the device, along with a push to modernize the safety standards in lithium-ion battery production. As for Samsung, at the start of 2017 the company estimated the final cost to the company's bottom line over the Note 8 battery fiasco at over $5 billion.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 44
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    But does it slow down ...?  ;)
    SpamSandwichzeus423baconstangberndogwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 44
    racerhomie3racerhomie3 Posts: 1,264member
    MacPro said:
    No it shuts down during random times of the day, and while making calls or recording videos.
    Rayz2016zeus423ktappewatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 3 of 44
    It’s pretty pathetic that my $350 32GB iPhone SE is visibly faster than the $1000 Note 8
    Solimagman1979baconstangjahbladewatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 4 of 44
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,667member
    MacPro said:
    LOL. 

A pain for those affected. Anything that requires sending a device in for service or replacement is a royal inconvenience. And no time is a good time but over Christmas is clearly worse.

I know this can happen to all phones but I have a collection of old phones that get left for months between charges and they all still power on and charge perfectly. Including an iPhone 4.

Maybe I've just been lucky.
    magman1979coolfactormuthuk_vanalingamjahblade
  • Reply 5 of 44
    avon b7 said:
    MacPro said:
    LOL. 

A pain for those affected. Anything that requires sending a device in for service or replacement is a royal inconvenience. And no time is a good time but over Christmas is clearly worse.

I know this can happen to all phones but I have a collection of old phones that get left for months between charges and they all still power on and charge perfectly. Including an iPhone 4.

Maybe I've just been lucky.
    Same here!
    magman1979baconstangjahbladewatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 44
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    “None of this excuses Apple’s anti-consumer behavior!” /s
    magman1979baconstangjahbladewatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 7 of 44
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    This is one area in which Samsung should follow Apple's lead.
  • Reply 8 of 44
    VRingVRing Posts: 108member
    It’s pretty pathetic that my $350 32GB iPhone SE is visibly faster than the $1000 Note 8
    No it's not.

• Reply 9 of 44
    And in other news,
    Lawyers all over the USA are ordering fresh supplies of Yellow legal pads.
    sue, sue ,sue. The world in coming to an end but lawyers will carry on filing suit on a whim.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 44
    Just a little something for the Apple fanboys here. Warning if you are a Samsung user wanting to stir stuff up you might not want to follow the link below. (You have been warned) 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jdWT8e8CUDM
    lkruppglynh
  • Reply 11 of 44
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,293member
    maybe if Samsung slowed the phones down as the battery detoriates...oh wait.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 44
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Just a little something for the Apple fanboys here. Warning if you are a Samsung user wanting to stir stuff up you might not want to follow the link below. (You have been warned) 

I don't get that routine since that argument can also be used against iPhone users, or anyone who is only about any specific company or product.
    edited January 2018 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 13 of 44
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,667member
    Soli said:

I don't get that routine since that argument can also be used against iPhone users, or anyone who is only about any specific company or product.
    True, but it's funny whoever its aimed at. Like those jokes about women that can easily be redirected at men.

'Fanboys' (of whatever flavour) will always exist, so routines like that will be regulars for comedy for a while.

Fortunately, in all my years on forums I feel that most Fanboys eventually mellow out. 
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 14 of 44
    Hmmmmmmmm......
    Weird that a bunch of class action lawsuits all across our great country didn’t spring up overnight against this particular battery issue, innit?
    racerhomie3magman1979watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 44
    Hmmmmmmmm......
    Weird that a bunch of class action lawsuits all across our great country didn’t spring up overnight against this particular battery issue, innit?
    Maybe it’s just me, but it seems in the media Apple is held to a higher standard. It’s the price of their success and exemplary track record, I guess. People who don’t like the company for wherever reason are constantly grasping at straws to find faults with their products. 
    netmagewatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 44
    williamhwilliamh Posts: 1,033member
    VRing said:
    No it's not.

That’s an idiotic test. That’s just not a test of phone speed. It’s a test of launching a number of selected apps, most of which I’ve never heard of. 
    king editor the grateracerhomie3magman1979macseekernetmagebaconstangradarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 44
    The Empire Strikes Back.
  • Reply 18 of 44
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,022member
    I guess this is what they (Samsung) had to do so their phones wouldn't catch on fire.
    StrangeDaysmagman1979radarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 44
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    By the way, Happy New Year everyone!
    JinTechmagman1979macseekerpscooter63
  • Reply 20 of 44
    What’s that the Samsung commercial says “UPGRADE TO SAMSUNG NOTE 8”, when it actually should say “DOWNGRADE TO SAMSUNG NOTE 8“.
    watto_cobra