Apple 2017 year in review: iPhone X with Face ID signals major platform shift

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,425member
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:
    I like the first paragraph here because it makes something clear that people might overlook. It's an anniversary device and as such could take a lot of risks. If something 'just didn't work' it would not have been a major deal (in the bigger scheme of things) as the iPhone 8 was there to save the day.
    No, I don't think so. They said they were going to put some of this stuff (Face ID) into the next phone, but it was ready now. They didn't design it as an "anniversary edition" phone, they just added the X marketing moniker to the hardware that was ready. This stuff is here to stay, without a doubt.
    You have a point there. Apple supposedly admitted that the X wasn't planned for this year. In that scenario, it couldn't be an anniversary phone. However, with them bringing it forward, maybe it became the perfect candidate to be an anniversary phone which was reinforced by the 'X' naming for the tenth anniversary of the iPhone.

There is no Anniversary iPhone, except in your imagination, and Apple has never stated anything to that effect.

Give it a rest.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 30
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,843member
    Are you implying your opinion overrides my opinion? because that's how you come over.

Here are the facts first:

"So that is iPhone 8. I’d like to turn it back to Tim.

Tim Cook – CEO, Apple Inc.

Thanks, Phil. iPhone, a new generation of iPhone and a huge step forward. But we’re not stopping there.

We do have one more thing. Now, we have great respect for these words and we don’t use them lightly. Our teams have been hard at work for years on something that is important to all of us: the future of the smartphone.

The first iPhone revolutionized the DECADE of technology and changed the world in the process. Now 10 YEARS LATER, it is only fitting that we are here in this place, on this day, to reveal a product that will set the path for technology for the next decade.

Thank you. This is iPhone X."

That is a transcript of the presentation of iPhone X in Apple's own words. I have bolded some elements for you. That is what Apple stated.

The iPhone X celebrates, beyond any doubt, the tenth anniversary of the iPhone. It is an anniversary phone in my opinion. It doesn't need 'anniversary edition' pegged onto its name or anything else. It already has the 'X' (ten) in its name.

That Apple description was not awarded to the other phones (iPhones 8 - also ten years after) presented in the same presentation. There was no iPhone 9 either.

No. All the 'anniversary' references were reserved for the iPhone X and only the iPhone X.

Now, if you think it's 'all in my imagination' you're welcome to your opinion. I really cannot do more to explain things more clearly to you. It's there, bolded in black and white and straight from the horse's mouth. Interpret as you wish.

iPhone X might take over from the current lineup as its technology filters down the line. This might lead to:

iPhone X

iPhone X Plus

Or it might not. We simply don't know.

We might get:

iPhone 9

iPhone 9 Plus

(Both including tech from the current X).

We simply don't know.

We might get three phones:

iPhone 9

iPhone 9 Plus

iPhone X.2

We simply don't know.

We might see a two-step rollout of phones (similiar to how MacWorld Expos used to work) to keep Apple 'fresh' in the minds of users. 

We might see something different. Who knows? Certainly not us because we have no inside information.

Speculate all you want on what might come next.

edited December 2017 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 23 of 30
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    avon b7 said:
    Are you implying your opinion overrides my opinion? because that's how you come over.

Thanks, Phil. iPhone, a new generation of iPhone and a huge step forward. But we’re not stopping there.

We do have one more thing. Now, we have great respect for these words and we don’t use them lightly. Our teams have been hard at work for years on something that is important to all of us: the future of the smartphone.

The first iPhone revolutionized the DECADE of technology and changed the world in the process. Now 10 YEARS LATER, it is only fitting that we are here in this place, on this day, to reveal a product that will set the path for technology for the next decade.

That is a transcript of the presentation of iPhone X in Apple's own words. I have bolded some elements for you. That is what Apple stated.

The iPhone X celebrates, beyond any doubt, the tenth anniversary of the iPhone. It is an anniversary phone in my opinion. It doesn't need 'anniversary edition' pegged onto its name or anything else. It already has the 'X' (ten) in its name.

That Apple description was not awarded to the other phones (iPhones 8 - also ten years after) presented in the same presentation. There was no iPhone 9 either.

No. All the 'anniversary' references were reserved for the iPhone X and only the iPhone X.

Now, if you think it's 'all in my imagination' you're welcome to your opinion. I really cannot do more to explain things more clearly to you. It's there, bolded in black and white and straight from the horse's mouth. Interpret as you wish.

iPhone X might take over from the current lineup as its technology filters down the line. This might lead to:

iPhone X

iPhone X Plus

We might get:

iPhone 9

iPhone 9 Plus

We simply don't know.

iPhone 9

iPhone 9 Plus

iPhone X.2

We simply don't know.

We might see a two-step rollout of phones (similiar to how MacWorld Expos used to work) to keep Apple 'fresh' in the minds of users. 

We might see something different. Who knows? Certainly not us because we have no inside information.

The phrase missing from everything quoted here was “anniversary phone”. All Cook said was that it has taken ten years to reach this point, and the technologies found in the phone are the foundation for the next ten years. Nothing he said points to the iPhoneX being a special anniversary edition that will use FaceID while the rest of the lineup continues with TouchID. That’s just wishful thinking. 
    edited December 2017 tmaywatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 30
    Rayz2016 said:
    avon b7 said:

iPhone X

iPhone X Plus

We might get:

iPhone 9

iPhone 9 Plus

We simply don't know.

iPhone 9

iPhone 9 Plus

iPhone X.2

We simply don't know.

The phrase missing from everything quoted here was “anniversary phone”. All Cook said was that it has taken ten years to reach this point, and the technologies found in the phone are the foundation for the next ten years. Nothing he said points to the iPhoneX being a special anniversary edition that will use FaceID while the rest of the lineup continues with TouchID. That’s just wishful thinking. 

Some things don' need to be said explicitly. There's a reason it is called iPhone X and not something else.

This is the first line of this AI article:

"To mark the 10th anniversary of the iPhone, Apple released the iPhone X -- that's pronounced "ten," as the company is eager to point out"

I think it absurd to try and nitpick the point. It isn't worth it. It's just being pedantic. It's even more pointless for people to throw on lines like "give it a rest". It's a lack of respect.

That aside, I'm on my way into Barcelona for New Year so wherever you are and whatever your plans, Enjoy! Happy New Year to you and anyone reading this 
    edited December 2017 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 25 of 30
    avon b7 said:

Some things don' need to be said explicitly. There's a reason it is called iPhone X and not something else.

Yup, in a word: marketing.

They wanted to show a clear separation between what went before and what is coming next. If they'd called it iPhone9 when they were also releasing an iPhone 8… Well, that would have just resulted in a lot of customer head-scratching.

I mean this is nothing they haven't done before.  When they finally got their OS strategy under control, they went from MacOS9 to MacOSX, rather than MacOS 10 (they hadn't used roman numerals in the past).

Back then, did you try to make the argument that MacOSX was the 'anniversary edition' and that they would continue with the legacy MacOS 9 for people who didn't like the new operating system?

I think it absurd to try and nitpick the point. It isn't worth it. It's just being pedantic.
    But you're the one trying to shoehorn the notion that a word not mentioned in your own quote somehow means that the iPhoneX is just an anniversary model, and that everything Apple said about FaceID being the future doesn't matter; they're going to press on with TouchID

It's even more pointless for people to throw on lines like "give it a rest". It's a lack of respect.

I don't think I said that, and if someone did say it then they might have graduated from that peculiar school of thought that believes respect has to be earned. 

It's entirely possible that they found your constant efforts to prove that Apple is really behind TouchID all the way, in the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary, a little bit tiresome.

That aside, I'm on my way into Barcelona for New Year so wherever you are and whatever your plans, Enjoy! Happy New Year to you and anyone reading this 

Enjoy Barcelona!

And good point: HAPPY NEW YEAR FOLKS!
    edited January 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 30
    Rayz2016 said:
    avon b7 said:

They wanted to show a clear separation between what went before and what is coming next. If they'd called it iPhone9 when they were also releasing an iPhone 8… Well, that would have just resulted in a lot of customer head-scratching.

I mean this is nothing they haven't done before.  When they finally got their OS strategy under control, they went from MacOS9 to MacOSX, rather than MacOS 10 (they hadn't used roman numerals in the past).

Back then, did you try to make the argument that MacOSX was the 'anniversary edition' and that they would continue with the legacy MacOS 9 for people who didn't like the new operating system?

I think it absurd to try and nitpick the point. It isn't worth it. It's just being pedantic.
    But you're the one trying to shoehorn the notion that a word not mentioned in your own quote somehow means that the iPhoneX is just an anniversary model, and that everything Apple said about FaceID being the future doesn't matter; they're going to press on with TouchID

It's even more pointless for people to throw on lines like "give it a rest". It's a lack of respect.

I don't think I said that, and if someone did say it then they might have graduated from that peculiar school of thought that believes respect has to be earned. 

It's entirely possible that they found your constant efforts to prove that Apple is really behind TouchID all the way, in the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary, a little bit tiresome.

Enjoy Barcelona!

I think you're missing some of the details here.

I wasn't attributing the 'give it a rest' quote to you. Regarding TouchID, the point is it will be available on phones you can buy 'new' for a few years to come, not that Apple doesn't want FaceID to replace it. Also, before Apple can fully transition to FaceID, it needs to be proven in the real world. It's one of the reasons it isn't on the 8. Another is cost. Another is the 'X', and the 'statement' it carries.  It hasn't been in the real world long enough yet, though.

I am not shoe horning anything into anything. The iPhone X is an anniversary phone. It marks the tenth anniversary of the iPhone.

Yes, marketing plays a part in everything. That's life. 

If the X hadn't made it to a 2017 release, I doubt the marketing department would have let the 10th anniversary opportunity slip by. The 8 would have become that phone and the NPU, its role in machine learning and AI would have been the lead in to the next ten years.

On another note, something that didn't make it into the article and that, for me, represents the single biggest strategic change in the history of the iPhone, was the move, late in 2017, to now offer a complete spread of phones, through a virtually complete range of prices.

This is unprecedented.

There were indicators throughout the year that pointed to storms on the horizon of 2018 for Apple in handsets.

I've commented on those points throughout the year and provided the necessary links and background.

This strategic shift makes a lot of sense. I've praised it. It could merit an entire AI article due to its importance. It really is that big of a change and just in time.

Huawei will make some announcements shortly and both Samsung and Apple in the US are paying very close attention.

They are about to pump 100 million dollars into a US branding campaign and want to take a chunk of the US premium handset market, currently in the hands of Apple and Samsung. They also want a chunk of the lower US tiers too. The campaign has already started (low scale at present) on the radio but by the end of 2018 most US phone users will know about Huawei, have learnt to pronounce the name and some may even have a phone.

Many on this board will scoff at this. Just as they scoffed when I mentioned that Apple should be offering a broad spread of phones.

The move could fall flat on its face of course and at the end of 2018 Samsung and Apple could still be the barons of the US but, believe me, Tim Cook and Co are watching closely right now. 

All Huawei has to lose is 100 plus million dollars. The same cannot be said for Apple and Samsung. The stakes are far higher and I dare say there is an element of déjà vu here. Just look at what has happened to Apple in Europe with iPhone. Apple's 2017 strategic shift might have been a preemptive move and IMO, the right move.

Strengthen the home market, keep the pressure up in China and move on developing markets. For me it makes sense.

There will be four Huawei flagship phones this year. One in each quarter. Two for Honor and two for Huawei. That will keep the marketing team busy. Apple has laid out its offerings, perhaps for the year or perhaps not ;-)

edited January 2018
  • Reply 27 of 30
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,425member
    avon b7 said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    avon b7 said:

Enjoy Barcelona!

I wasn't attributing the 'give it a rest' quote to you. Regarding TouchID, the point is it will be available on phones you can buy 'new' for a few years to come, not that Apple doesn't want FaceID to replace it. Also, before Apple can fully transition to FaceID, it needs to be proven in the real world. It's one of the reasons it isn't on the 8. Another is cost. Another is the 'X', and the 'statement' it carries.  It hasn't been in the real world long enough yet, though.

I am not shoe horning anything into anything. The iPhone X is an anniversary phone. It marks the tenth anniversary of the iPhone.

If the X hadn't made it to a 2017 release, I doubt the marketing department would have let the 10th anniversary opportunity slip by. The 8 would have become that phone and the NPU, its role in machine learning and AI would have been the lead in to the next ten years.

On another note, something that didn't make it into the article and that, for me, represents the single biggest strategic change in the history of the iPhone, was the move, late in 2017, to now offer a complete spread of phones, through a virtually complete range of prices.

This is unprecedented.

There were indicators throughout the year that pointed to storms on the horizon of 2018 for Apple in handsets.

I've commented on those points throughout the year and provided the necessary links and background.

This strategic shift makes a lot of sense. I've praised it. It could merit an entire AI article due to its importance. It really is that big of a change and just in time.

Huawei will make some announcements shortly and both Samsung and Apple in the US are paying very close attention.

They are about to pump 100 million dollars into a US branding campaign and want to take a chunk of the US premium handset market, currently in the hands of Apple and Samsung. They also want a chunk of the lower US tiers too. The campaign has already started (low scale at present) on the radio but by the end of 2018 most US phone users will know about Huawei, have learnt to pronounce the name and some may even have a phone.

Many on this board will scoff at this. Just as they scoffed when I mentioned that Apple should be offering a broad spread of phones.

The move could fall flat on its face of course and at the end of 2018 Samsung and Apple could still be the barons of the US but, believe me, Tim Cook and Co are watching closely right now. 

All Huawei has to lose is 100 plus million dollars. The same cannot be said for Apple and Samsung. The stakes are far higher and I dare say there is an element of déjà vu here. Just look at what has happened to Apple in Europe with iPhone. Apple's 2017 strategic shift might have been a preemptive move and IMO, the right move.

Strengthen the home market, keep the pressure up in China and move on developing markets. For me it makes sense.

There will be four Huawei flagship phones this year. One in each quarter. Two for Honor and two for Huawei. That will keep the marketing team busy. Apple has laid out its offerings, perhaps for the year or perhaps not ;-)

"Also, before Apple can fully transition to FaceID, it needs to be proven in the real world".

Why would I ever, ever, have to respect your opinion when you state something so easily disprovable? There are, in fact, tens of millions of iPhone X users that have already proven FaceID "in the real world" and the great majority are satisfied, even excited with it. Some small number of individuals are not satisfied with FaceID, and have opted for TouchID models.

For that, all of Apple's new devices next year will have FaceID. All of the legacy stuff will be TouchID. 
  • Reply 28 of 30
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    avon b7 said:

Enjoy Barcelona!

This is unprecedented.

"Also, before Apple can fully transition to FaceID, it needs to be proven in the real world".

Why would I ever, ever, have to respect your opinion when you state something so easily disprovable? There are, in fact, tens of millions of iPhone X users that have already proven FaceID "in the real world" and the great majority are satisfied, even excited with it. Some small number of individuals are not satisfied with FaceID, and have opted for TouchID models.

For that, all of Apple's new devices next year will have FaceID. All of the legacy stuff will be TouchID. 
    You should respect the opinions of others but no one is forcing you to. That has little to do with lack of respect towards other though. 

Your statement is short sighted.

One thing is if a system works. In this case to unlock the phone, authorise payments etc. Another is if it is defeatable in the real world or other -unexpected - limitations appear. Apple is going from statistical information, lab testing and limited field testing to real world use. Real world use of a highly sensitive security feature.

FaceID is currently going through that process and doing well from what I can see.

It is too early to go out on a limb and jump head first into implementing it across the board in one foul swoop though, for the reasons I have already mentioned.

Take a look at the lock on your front door. When did you buy it? Is it a 'security' lock. Did you check out all the security certifications it claims to have? Do you know what they even represent?

This is one of the most important security elements in your day to day life. Security lock manufacturers will have you believe they have the most secure options but it isn't until those locks enter the real world that their effectiveness becomes demonstrable. It is a necessary step. Today, you should be changing your lock every five years, not because the locks don't do what they say but because real world situations make change necessary.

The millions of happy customers you mention are necessary but look at the bigger picture. Three months of real world use is a VERY small window of activity.
  • Reply 29 of 30
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    avon b7 said:

Enjoy Barcelona!

This is unprecedented.

You should respect the opinions of others but no one is forcing you to. That has little to do with lack of respect towards other though. 

Your statement is short sighted.

One thing is if a system works. In this case to unlock the phone, authorise payments etc. Another is if it is defeatable in the real world or other -unexpected - limitations appear. Apple is going from statistical information, lab testing and limited field testing to real world use. Real world use of a highly sensitive security feature.

FaceID is currently going through that process and doing well from what I can see.

It is too early to go out on a limb and jump head first into implementing it across the board in one foul swoop though, for the reasons I have already mentioned.

Take a look at the lock on your front door. When did you buy it? Is it a 'security' lock. Did you check out all the security certifications it claims to have? Do you know what they even represent?

This is one of the most important security elements in your day to day life. Security lock manufacturers will have you believe they have the most secure options but it isn't until those locks enter the real world that their effectiveness becomes demonstrable. It is a necessary step. Today, you should be changing your lock every five years, not because the locks don't do what they say but because real world situations make change necessary.

The millions of happy customers you mention are necessary but look at the bigger picture. Three months of real world use is a VERY small window of activity.

Yup, but here's what happened before it was released: Apple tested the system during the five years they were developing it because this is the plan going forward. They put it through millions of test cases and scenarios to such an extent that they were very accurate with its limitations on release. So far, the only failures suffered are the ones that Apple has already warned against, and some rather questionable tests from an outfit in Viet Nam which, even if they were genuine, would be so hard to pull off in real life that the risk is beyond negligible. 

What happened after release: they gained more data about what and what didn't work, and they continue to monitor the failure and success rates. They will continue to improve the technology, as they did with TouchID

What won't happen: Contrary to statements of "it's too early to tell" I'm afraid that they have already proven that it works well enough already that its worth carrying on with and improving (though to be honest, they already knew that before it was released). The small window already covers millions of users, so the only real problem is can they make enough to move it to other devices, and the tech works well enough for them to drop nearly half a billion to make sure they can. Doesn't really sound like a direction they're going to change from any time soon.  And while all this is going on they will carry on improving the AI to tackle more of the edge cases.

I think your best bet is to hope that they find something inherently dangerous in the technology that would force them to abandon it and return to TouchID, but again, I'm not sure that's likely.
    tmay
  • Reply 30 of 30
    I will repeat myself. Three months is a VERY small window of activity.

It will take around that time to evaluate and collate only the user satisfaction studies and recognition failure rates worldwide. You can't call someone a week after unboxing and say ' hey, is FaceID great for you?'. First you let users use the device for an appropriate amount of time, then collect feedback and collate it.

"So far, the only failures suffered are the ones that Apple has already warned against"

Yes, 'so far'. And you can't know if the failures are the only ones Apple warned against. We don't even know how many people have one.

Edge cases? Yes, again, and Apple needs to know, beyond statistical calculations, how many people are affected in the real world.

Then it needs to take that information along with user satisfaction results, study it and decide what to do with those users for whom FaceID is not the best solution because using a passcode would be a step back, not forward. Not an issue today, as the 8 (a brand new model) has a fingerprint sensor. We know that if a fingerprint scanner is not for you, you're only option is a passcode but what if there are more people (based on real world use, not models) that have issues with FaceID (that's forgetting defeatability for a moment)? Will they put a fingerprint sensor under the screen or on the rear and let people choose or decide that the situation is similiar to that of TouchID? The people here who categorically state that TouchID is dead from now on are just being premature with their affirmations. It's too early to know even if everything points to it.

FaceID will improve? I can't see any reason for it not to. But in which regard?

Learning is already built in but can still be improved.

Speed. I'm sure it will get faster.

Size. I'm sure it will get smaller.

Distance. I'm not sure they can increase/reduce the distance without switching to a different technology.

Use. I'm sure more uses will be found for the technology.

Accuracy. This is a strange one. You would think, that given the security that is already involved and, according to you, completely proven, there is no need to increase the resolution of the dot map but Huawei's system will have potentially ten times the accuracy of Apple's. Why? It could be that more dots offers more options beyond identification (modelling, animojis etc), then again, it might be a case of the more the better for security. We will see. And yes, it could be overkill too.

But all this doesn't change anything. Initial availability was a little restricted. I'm sure a not small amount of X were destined as Christmas presents and therefore only activated over the Christmas period. Defeatability information only comes with time and has nothing to do with if FaceID works or not. Three months is not long at all. It doesn't matter if 'so far' things have gone well. That isn't the question although it's comforting that something major hasn't cropped up in this time.