Samsung Galaxy Note 8 users reportedly unable to recharge completely flat battery

Comments

• Reply 21 of 44
    VRing said:
    It’s pretty pathetic that my $350 32GB iPhone SE is visibly faster than the $1000 Note 8
    No it's not.

I did it with my friends phone.With the latest 11.2.1 OS.
    Plus SE is smaller than 8 Plus.
    Plus Android slows down as you use it.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 44
    wigbywigby Posts: 692member
    VRing said:
    It’s pretty pathetic that my $350 32GB iPhone SE is visibly faster than the $1000 Note 8
    No it's not.

I hate it when I open every single app on my phone and it falls behind by 1/2 second to a phone with twice the RAM.
    magman1979netmagebaconstangchiaradarthekatwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 23 of 44
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,292member
    VRing said:
    No it's not.

Oh Jesus, another idiot troll bringing up that stupid video!!! People that use this to try and defend the Note 8 are such tools!!!
    netmagebaconstangwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 24 of 44
    By the way, Happy New Year everyone!
    Yes, Happy New Year to all.
    LukeCageSpamSandwich
  • Reply 25 of 44
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    VRing said:
    No it's not.

a fracking youtube video... of the non scientific test ever,  oh I am "convinced", go the hell away cause it is obvious you don't give a crap anymore about making a point if you ever did..
    edited January 2018 baconstangracerhomie3radarthekatmagman1979watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 44
    VRingVRing Posts: 108member
    VRing said:
    No it's not.

Oh Jesus, another idiot troll bringing up that stupid video!!! People that use this to try and defend the Note 8 are such tools!!!

So you're calling the author an "idiot troll" for using a "stupid video" in his article? 

For that matter, the user quoted claimed the iPhone SE was "visibly" faster than the Note 8. That's clearly not the case.

VRing said:
    No it's not.

I did it with my friends phone.With the latest 11.2.1 OS.
    Plus SE is smaller than 8 Plus.
    Plus Android slows down as you use it.
    No proof of your claims and more nonsense. 

By the same anecdote, I've seen the iPhone 8 Plus (A11) run "visible" circles around the iPhone SE (A9).
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 27 of 44
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    Hmmmmmmmm......
    Weird that a bunch of class action lawsuits all across our great country didn’t spring up overnight against this particular battery issue, innit?
    Maybe it’s just me, but it seems in the media Apple is held to a higher standard. It’s the price of their success and exemplary track record, I guess. People who don’t like the company for wherever reason are constantly grasping at straws to find faults with their products. 
    You implied that Samsung didn't get the same media treatment, which I found it hard to believe, especially in most Asia countries. It's just that Apple is an easier target since they tried so hard to build a 'better than thou' image. Just my 2c.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 28 of 44
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    This article smacks of the pot calling the kettle black. Samsung weathered the Note 7 debacle and Apple will weather this battery kerfuffle. Neither the fanboys nor the haters will be changing their attitudes anytime soon. How about trying to educate people as to the dark side of Lithium Ion battery technology. 
    muthuk_vanalingammacxpressmagman1979
  • Reply 29 of 44
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Instead of Samsung slowing the phone down when the battery lacks the energy turn on the phone they just prevent you from every turning it on again. It about keeping the battery from blowing up.
    radarthekatmagman1979
  • Reply 30 of 44
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    eacumm said:
    What’s that the Samsung commercial says “UPGRADE TO SAMSUNG NOTE 8”, when it actually should say “DOWNGRADE TO SAMSUNG NOTE 8“.
    Maybe Samsung should go back to removable batteries.

Is samsung going to offer $29 battery replacement to anyone who wants it?

And where would they get that done?  Mail it to South Korea?
    baconstangmacxpressSpamSandwich
  • Reply 31 of 44
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Interesting. 

I guess this is why iGadgets won’t allow you to run the battery completely dry before shutting off. 

kevin kee said:

You implied that Samsung didn't get the same media treatment, which I found it hard to believe, especially in most Asia countries. It's just that Apple is an easier target since they tried so hard to build a 'better than thou' image. Just my 2c.
    Good. Since I use a lot of Apple kit then I want them held to a higher standard. They build ‘a better than thou’ image because, in my opinion, they are better than the competition, but then they should also expect a bloody nose when they fail to live up to their customers’ expectations.  

When Samsung was dealing with the battery fires, I was amazed by the excuses made by members of the Android community. Some people even said it was a plot by Apple designed to describe discredit the company and they would not return their phones (I hoped I wouldn’t end up on a flight with one of these morons). That is not a trait any company should want in its customer base. 

Still, this other battery thing sounds like something they can fix in software, though that won’t help the people with bricked phones. 
    netmagebaconstangmuthuk_vanalingamchiatmay
  • Reply 32 of 44
    It’s not like performance declining because a battery does what batteries do and degrade. That’s much, much worse, right?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 44
    Another reality of lithium ion technology: it's better for the life of the battery (and the phones performance) to recharge before it gets too low. Apple is giving a pretty big hint about that to it's users with the low power warning at 20%. Voltage available to the CPU is going to go into a steep decline at that point. 
  • Reply 34 of 44
    BluntBlunt Posts: 224member
    VRing said:
    No it's not.

This test shows how inefficient Android is. It needs at least twice the ammount of RAM to keep up. Thanks for posting.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 44
    VRing said:
    No it's not.

Those video tests are interesting but are less conclusive than geekbench tests. How many people use their phone like that? I suspect we’re talking about less than 1%.

The times in real life usage where an app reloads marginally faster on the Note8 will be counteracted many times by the fact that the iPhone is a faster phone overall with a considerably faster processor. Even something simple like the significantly faster JavaScript engine in Safari will benefit the user regularly and isn’t shown in that test.
    magman1979watto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 44
    Don’t quote me on this but does Apple iPhone and iPad automatically shut down at around 3 to 5% of remaining battery storage so that batteries are never completely dead? What if Android OS has a software update that does the same thing and shuts off the phone when it reaches down to a certain % so that there enough for the battery to recharge. Plus give a warning of a low battery. It is just a thought. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 44
    lkrupp said:
    This article smacks of the pot calling the kettle black. Samsung weathered the Note 7 debacle and Apple will weather this battery kerfuffle. Neither the fanboys nor the haters will be changing their attitudes anytime soon. How about trying to educate people as to the dark side of Lithium Ion battery technology. 

While I agree with pretty much what you said, there are few other points to consider in the big picture:

1. Apple executive while justifying "non-removable" batteries 10 years back said that "Most of the people are not going to replace their batteries in iPhones like iPods". This has certainly proven to be wrong and misplaced.

2. Many knowledgeable people in this forum talks about "Batteries being consumables", which is fine but do NOT talk about a certain design decision making it "non-user removable" which contributes to all the troubles. If it is a commodity, why shouldn't ALL smartphone OEMs (please note that I am talking about ALL OEMS, not just Apple) give the control of this consumable item to end-users instead of keeping it to themselves (causing both ripping off in the financial sense, trouble and inconvenience in the operational sense)?

3. Another design decision which leads to trouble with batteries is "SIZE" of the battery - Most of the "modern" flagships (Again, not just Apple iPhones, but all flagship phones) have small battery capacity than what is typically needed for average customers to get through a day usage, mandating charging the battery more than once every day, which leads to quicker drain of the battery, which necessitates replacing of the battery in a shorter timespan (within 1 to 1.5 years instead of 2-3 years). Is thinness of a phone that important to the user-experience than an adequately sized battery in a phone?

While people who do not understand technology needs to be educated, ALL smartphone manufacturers are working against the interests of the customers in reality w.r.t. batteries (be it size or user-replaceable or making OEM batteries available to end-users at a reasonable cost). Good to see that Karma is hitting them back in the same aspect.

• Reply 38 of 44
    VRingVRing Posts: 108member
    georgie01 said:
    VRing said:
    No it's not.

Those video tests are interesting but are less conclusive than geekbench tests. How many people use their phone like that? I suspect we’re talking about less than 1%.

The times in real life usage where an app reloads marginally faster on the Note8 will be counteracted many times by the fact that the iPhone is a faster phone overall with a considerably faster processor. Even something simple like the significantly faster JavaScript engine in Safari will benefit the user regularly and isn’t shown in that test.
    You're missing the takeaway here. A user claims that the iPhone SE with the Apple A9 is "visibly" faster than the Note 8. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a fan of this method of testing.

One thing I will mention is that web browsing is in fact just as fast on a Note 8 as an iPhone 8 Plus/X. Another area that a lot of people seem to forget is your connectivity speeds. On regular LTE, the Note 8 will download twice as fast. On gigabit LTE, the Note 8 can download around three to four times faster.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 39 of 44
    BluntBlunt Posts: 224member
    VRing said:
    georgie01 said:
    VRing said:
    No it's not.

You're missing the takeaway here. A user claims that the iPhone SE with the Apple A9 is "visibly" faster than the Note 8. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a fan of this method of testing.

One thing I will mention is that web browsing is in fact just as fast on a Note 8 as an iPhone 8 Plus/X. Another area that a lot of people seem to forget is your connectivity speeds. On regular LTE, the Note 8 will download twice as fast. On gigabit LTE, the Note 8 can download around three to four times faster.

One thing i would like to mention to you is the fact that the iPhone is much faster when editing and rendering videos, the Samsungs have bad latency which makes them slow to respond when you compare them to an iPhone. In fact all Apple devices have the fastest latency which is really important if you want to use pro music creation apps.
    edited January 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 40 of 44
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    lkrupp said:

While I agree with pretty much what you said, there are few other points to consider in the big picture:

1. Apple executive while justifying "non-removable" batteries 10 years back said that "Most of the people are not going to replace their batteries in iPhones like iPods". This has certainly proven to be wrong and misplaced.

2. Many knowledgeable people in this forum talks about "Batteries being consumables", which is fine but do NOT talk about a certain design decision making it "non-user removable" which contributes to all the troubles. If it is a commodity, why shouldn't ALL smartphone OEMs (please note that I am talking about ALL OEMS, not just Apple) give the control of this consumable item to end-users instead of keeping it to themselves (causing both ripping off in the financial sense, trouble and inconvenience in the operational sense)?

3. Another design decision which leads to trouble with batteries is "SIZE" of the battery - Most of the "modern" flagships (Again, not just Apple iPhones, but all flagship phones) have small battery capacity than what is typically needed for average customers to get through a day usage, mandating charging the battery more than once every day, which leads to quicker drain of the battery, which necessitates replacing of the battery in a shorter timespan (within 1 to 1.5 years instead of 2-3 years). Is thinness of a phone that important to the user-experience than an adequately sized battery in a phone?

While people who do not understand technology needs to be educated, ALL smartphone manufacturers are working against the interests of the customers in reality w.r.t. batteries (be it size or user-replaceable or making OEM batteries available to end-users at a reasonable cost). Good to see that Karma is hitting them back in the same aspect.

Thinness, weight, having a weather sealed more reliable phone are all important and something that would have an impact on the phone user every single day, so your basically dismantlement your whole argument. You got it backward. It's absolutely the idiot user who wants both to have all those things and a magical battery.

The only "karma" is that the phone makers basically are giving the user exactly what they want and because people were replacing their phone more often in the past, these idiots user have kind of become divorced from actually having to replace that battery. Now, people are keeping their phones longer while using it more intensely and they've just been put face to face with the reality of batteries.

Getting your battery replaced, even for $80 (you could actually do it for $30-50 elsewhere) is something completely normal that people will just get used to doing once again if they want to keep their powerhouse light phone.
    Solitmaywatto_cobra