Avido unveils WiBa Wireless Charging System that uses Qi charging to recharge iPhone X on ...

Posted:
in iPhone
Accessories producer Avido has revealed its WiBa Wireless Power Bank and Charging Dock ahead of CES, with the Qi-compatible power bank able to wirelessly charge an iPhone X, iPhone 8, or iPhone 8 Plus on the move, and is capable of recharging itself via the accompanying dock.

The power bank element of the WiBa dual-charging wireless power system holds up to 5,000mAh, which can be used to recharge mobile devices and other Qi-enabled devices multiple times over the course of a day. On the side are a row of LED lights showing the available power level of the bank, with an additional USB port allowing the unit to provide power to devices that do not have wireless charging capabilities.

The WiBa charging dock can be used to recharge the power bank by placing the portable unit on top, though it can also be used as a conventional wireless charging pad with fast charging enabled. It is also possible to wirelessly recharge an iPhone X when the power bank is on top of the charging dock by placing it on top of the accessory stack.

When away from home, the power bank can be recharged without using the charging dock using its USB-C port and the quick charge-enabled AC adapter.

To help keep an iPhone in the right position on the power bank's wireless charger, the package also includes two slim metal plates, colored black and white, which can be attached to the back of a phone or case. Once affixed, the plates will attach to the power bank using magnets, preventing slippage during the charging process.

Avido plans to ship the WiBa dual-charging wireless power system this February, retailing at $99.95, but will first show off the accessory at the Consumer Electronics Show from January 9 to 12.

AppleInsider will be on the floor at the 2018 Consumer Electronics Show. Read AppleInsider this week and next for coverage of all the best Apple-compatible accessories and gadgets.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    I'm a little unclear why this two-piece device is superior to the Qi-enabled charging bricks that are already on the market. https://www.amazon.com/QiStone-Wireless-Charging-compatible-Plus/dp/B00KOOE5SK
  • Reply 2 of 11
    I do not like how most, if not all, current charges are restrictive to how the phone is placed on the unit to charge it. Lining up exactly is annoying and is what Apple's AirPower mat appears to ditch somehow. Initially interested in this, but not after reading how there are extra pieces suggested or needed to keep it aligned.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 11
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    Eric_WVGG said:
    I'm a little unclear why this two-piece device is superior to the Qi-enabled charging bricks that are already on the market. https://www.amazon.com/QiStone-Wireless-Charging-compatible-Plus/dp/B00KOOE5SK
    Well, other than the removable battery, it may not be.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator

peterhart said:
    I do not like how most, if not all, current charges are restrictive to how the phone is placed on the unit to charge it. Lining up exactly is annoying and is what Apple's AirPower mat appears to ditch somehow. Initially interested in this, but not after reading how there are extra pieces suggested or needed to keep it aligned.
    There's a discussion about Qi and fixed-locations versus non-fixed here:

• Reply 5 of 11
    That looks pretty neato. I groped through Spamazon's Qi offerings and all of them (that I had the patience to look at) do not work with Apple Watch. Avido's main page doesn't mention it.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Hi all, it's Kevin here from Avido. Thanks for your feedback and comments on WiBa, we’re excited about your enthusiasm!

I just want to clear up some confusion- WiBa is the only power bank that can wirelessly charge your Qi enabled device and power bank simultaneously. Other products actually don't charge the power bank and Qi phone at the same time wirelessly. With WiBa, just stack your devices on top of one another, and both charge at the same time. 

Also, it looks like there’s a question about the Apple Watch. Unfortunately, WiBa only works with standard Qi charging devices. The Apple Watch has been altered so that only Apple’s charger works with it. 

If you happen to be in Las Vegas for CES 2018, come check us out in the Las Vegas Convention Center, South Hall 3, Booth 32012. See you there!
    king editor the grateMustSeeUHDTV
  • Reply 7 of 11
    Wired charging is much better than wireless.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Hi all, it's Kevin here from Avido. Thanks for your feedback and comments on WiBa, we’re excited about your enthusiasm!

I just want to clear up some confusion- WiBa is the only power bank that can wirelessly charge your Qi enabled device and power bank simultaneously. Other products actually don't charge the power bank and Qi phone at the same time wirelessly. With WiBa, just stack your devices on top of one another, and both charge at the same time. 

Also, it looks like there’s a question about the Apple Watch. Unfortunately, WiBa only works with standard Qi charging devices. The Apple Watch has been altered so that only Apple’s charger works with it. 

If you happen to be in Las Vegas for CES 2018, come check us out in the Las Vegas Convention Center, South Hall 3, Booth 32012. See you there!
    Thanks. I was going to ask about Apple Watch, but then I looked up that the Watch seems to be modified from the Qi standard. I'll be at CES next week. Is Avido giving away any Swag? :)
  • Reply 9 of 11
    What would really make this product would be for it to have a Lightning input port as well. I understand you are going for cross platform, but you have other power banks that offer a Lightning port in addition to USB. In my opinion that should become a standard feature for any battery product that is courting iPhone users. When your whole ecosystem is Apple, having to carry/keep micro-usb on hand to recharge the batteries is really a drag. This product would have been an insta-buy once released, had it offered Lightning input. Perhaps a future version?

edited January 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 11
    mavemufcmavemufc Posts: 326member
    peterhart said:
    Thats the only thing I find annoying about the current wireless charger I have, but I can't wait for AirPower to be released so I can get one!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 11

Thanks. I was going to ask about Apple Watch, but then I looked up that the Watch seems to be modified from the Qi standard. I'll be at CES next week. Is Avido giving away any Swag? :)
    We can't wait to show you WiBa next week! Unfortunately, no swag to give out. But, you can try out all our products and give WiBa a test. See you then!