Apple Park office chairs cost nearly $1,200 apiece, handpicked by designer Jony Ive

Comments

• Reply 21 of 70
    That's not actually overly expensive for an upholstered chair from a high quality furniture design company.
    StrangeDayswelshdog
  • Reply 22 of 70
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    mavemufc said:
    If it’s comfy, then it would be worth it, nothing worse than sitting at a desk in an uncomfortable chair all day.
    Quiet is a great feature, but I'm not sure that blending in visually is worthwhile if it comes at the expense of comfort or durability. How long before someone spots a different chair at Apple and we get a scandal about it, like how the design of Apple Park is suppose to be poor for getting work done.

While there's a case to be made that upholstery will likely wear out faster and look worse than the Aeron chairs, they may also be a point for making the office quieter if cushioning absorb sound.
  • Reply 23 of 70
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    One could do better design/development even in $500 chair.
  • Reply 24 of 70
    I worked for Agilent in 2000 and they required employees to be fitted for a roughly $1,000 chair. One of the brands was Herman Miller. I thought it was over the top but it was an ergonomics requirement.
    StrangeDaysdysamoria
  • Reply 25 of 70
    wood1208 said:
    One could do better design/development even in $500 chair.
    Then it sounds like you have a great money marketing opportunity in front of you.
    JWSCStrangeDaysradarthekatmacxpress
  • Reply 26 of 70
    sumergosumergo Posts: 215member
    couldn't you instead ask the Apple Board to pay us Brits a great deal more tax?
    You’re free to give your entire income in taxes if it bothers you so much. You’ve no right to say what someone else pays in tax. You lost your colonies over that; I would think you’d learn a lesson by now.
    Testy, testy, TS. The phrase "You've no right . . ." is the last resort for someone with no better idea.  A deep breath might be worthwhile - he's clearly a Brit and it was a sarcasm & a joke ;-)
    Oferradarthekatmacky the macky
  • Reply 27 of 70
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    Soli said:
    While there's a case to be made that upholstery will likely wear out faster and look worse than the Aeron chairs, they may also be a point for making the office quieter if cushioning absorb sound.
    Aeron chairs are not noisy at all, although the cushioning of these Pacific chairs may help to absorb fart noises ;) but there are lots of things in a typical office environment that are noisy. Just typing on a keyboard is noisier than a chair. People talking on the phone, having an impromptu meeting near your desk, people eating a snack, slurping a hot cup of tea, incoming notifications on computers, etc. I know I'm easily annoyed but with an open floor plan, other people are going to be making a lot more noise than any reasonably high quality chair. 
  • Reply 28 of 70
    volcan said:
    Soli said:
    Aeron chairs are not noisy at all, although the cushioning of these Pacific chairs may help to absorb fart noises ;) but there are lots of things in a typical office environment that are noisy. Just typing on a keyboard is noisier than a chair. People talking on the phone, having an impromptu meeting near your desk, people eating a snack, slurping a hot cup of tea, incoming notifications on computers, etc. I know I'm easily annoyed but with an open floor plan, other people are going to be making a lot more noise than any reasonably high quality chair. 
    Especially Apple keyboards.
  • Reply 29 of 70
    It is somewhat amusing how some people moan and whine about the cost of an iPhone X being $1000, but there are companies that can get away with selling a $1200 office chair and yet I'll bet no one is pointing figures at that chair company for ripping off customers (I personally don't they they are ripping off customers). Buyers have a choice and they're not being forced to buy from that company. As long as those chairs are comfortable, I certainly can't fault Apple for buying them when employees have to sit in them for many hours a day. Employees should be comfortable and not end up with back problems or neck cramps. I've certainly had less expensive office chairs at about $300 and they were comfortable enough for me to sit in for hours on end without harming my body but that's not everyone. Oh, and I prefer my armrests to have thick memory foam which I find quite comfortable to rest my arms on.

I honestly don't see what the big deal is of Apple ordering these office chairs if it's about the cost alone. It's not as though they're $1200 wooden chairs. I'm sure there must be plenty of other corporations who have ordered similarly-priced office chairs and they likely have less money to spend than Apple. I suppose articles like this might appear in office supply trade magazines but why should the average citizen care what type of office furniture Apple is using or how much they spent on it. I just hope Apple's employees find them comfortable and it might help their overall production.
    edited January 2018 lkruppStrangeDaysradarthekat
  • Reply 30 of 70
    It is somewhat amusing how some people moan and whine about the cost of an iPhone X being $1000, but there are companies that can get away with selling a $1200 office chair and yet I'll bet no one is pointing figures at that chair company for ripping off customers (I personally don't they they are ripping off customers). Buyers have a choice and they're not being forced to buy from that company. As long as those chairs are comfortable, I certainly can't fault Apple for buying them when employees have to sit in them for many hours a day. Employees should be comfortable and not end up with back problems or neck cramps. I've certainly had less expensive office chairs at about $300 and they were comfortable enough for me to sit in for hours on end without harming my body but that's not everyone. Oh, and I prefer my armrests to have thick memory foam which I find quite comfortable to rest my arms on.

I honestly don't see what the big deal is of Apple ordering these office chairs if it's about the cost alone. It's not as though they're $1200 wooden chairs. I'm sure there must be plenty of other corporations who have ordered similarly-priced office chairs and they likely have less money to spend than Apple. I suppose articles like this might appear in office supply trade magazines but why should the average citizen care what type of office furniture Apple is using or how much they spent on it. I just hope Apple's employees find them comfortable and it might help their overall production.
    I can see a difference. People feel locked into a device because they're invested in the OS, or even adapters or accessories, as may be the case with Lightning. However, your ass is a universal interface that can go in the best or worst chair that you so desire, can afford, or is afforded to you. The ultimate in butt-plug-and-play, if you will. 😝
    edited January 2018 patchythepirate
  • Reply 31 of 70
    JWSCJWSC Posts: 1,203member
    dewme said:
    Geez, what's next, a big "reveal" to let everyone know that the spaceship campus has 2-ply toilet paper in the restrooms? 
    Well, it would be interesting to know if they are using those high tech Japanese toilets.
  • Reply 32 of 70
    JWSC said:
    dewme said:
    Geez, what's next, a big "reveal" to let everyone know that the spaceship campus has 2-ply toilet paper in the restrooms? 
    Well, it would be interesting to know if they are using those high tech Japanese toilets.
    Designed by Apple in California.

edited January 2018
  • Reply 33 of 70
    AppleInsider

The designers of the chair, Barber and Ed Osgerby, met with Ive several years ago over drinks, Fast Company said on Tuesday. The pair explained to him that the Pacific was designed to be "quiet," with curves that let it blend into any environment. 

Ive reportedly raised an eyebrow, telling the Osgerbys "That's interesting."

Correction. BarberOsgerby is 

Ed Barber and Jay Osgerby. 

Not “the Osgerbys”
    radarthekatkudu
  • Reply 34 of 70
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    Looks like a standard office chair to me.
    I got this brand for home, a very good chair. It might not be the same chair.

Details here: https://www.vitra.com/en-au/living/product/details/pacific-chair
  • Reply 35 of 70
    volcan said:
    sunman42 said:
    Aeron chairs have been my place of calm (and slouching) for the last twenty years. 
    Count me among those posting similar sentiments.
    Ditto!
  • Reply 36 of 70
    dewme said:
    A company with $250,000,000,000 in cash buys 3-ply toilet paper.
    sumergo said:
    Testy, testy, TS. The phrase "You've no right . . ." is the last resort for someone with no better idea.
    The thread would be locked if I posted my objectively better idea. Try the FUCK again, but this time how about you reply to what I posted? By what right do YOU get to say what tax ANOTHER person pays?
    sarcasm & a joke
    Doubtful.
    edited January 2018 lkruppradarthekatpatchythepirate
  • Reply 37 of 70
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,095member
    I do software-design work for a client that manufactures high-end furniture like this.  I can tell you for sure, from years of experience in that industry that whatever Jony paid for these chairs, it would have been nowhere near the $1,200 retail price, especially at the quality Apple ordered.

Nice chairs though.  :)

• Reply 38 of 70
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,960member
    Might have been nice if employees got to select from a number of approved choices what they would spend their time sitting on rather than a one-size-fits-all, take it or leave it situation. Hope Jony isn’t becoming the big talking head on the screen in the famous “1984” commercial, overseeing his minions sitting in uniform rows on uniform chairs.
    edited January 2018
  • Reply 39 of 70
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    dewme said:
    A company with $250,000,000,000 in cash buys 3-ply toilet paper.
    sumergo said:
    Testy, testy, TS. The phrase "You've no right . . ." is the last resort for someone with no better idea.
    The thread would be locked if I posted my objectively better idea. Try the FUCK again, but this time how about you reply to what I posted? By what right do YOU get to say what tax ANOTHER person pays?
    sarcasm & a joke
    Doubtful.
    Calm down, man, there's no need to go ballistic over someone else's opinions on taxation.
    SoliOfer
  • Reply 40 of 70
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Soli said:
    mavemufc said:
    If it’s comfy, then it would be worth it, nothing worse than sitting at a desk in an uncomfortable chair all day.
    Quiet is a great feature, but I'm not sure that blending in visually is worthwhile if it comes at the expense of comfort or durability. How long before someone spots a different chair at Apple and we get a scandal about it, like how the design of Apple Park is suppose to be poor for getting work done.

Well, there are lots of different quality of upholstery, highest quality ones are nearly as hard wearing as industrial carpeting (you can check it out) and those things are not going to wear out from you just sitting in it.

The chairs that wear out are not made with top end material, there is no reason a chair made with the toughest synthetic threads should ever wear out inside 25 years.

I've got an upholstered chair that originally sold discounted for around $800 (but its not its usual price) (but, I've seen it at $1300 too ), but bought in a bankruptcy lot for $100 and people were fighting over it at that price (spotted it early and recognized its quality so got dibs on it).

It had 10 years of office space use when I bought it and now has had 15 more and its still in tip top shape.

The main problem with high end upholstery is not durability, but keeping it clean, especially in my home office settings were I'm a bit more messy than at work :-).

edited January 2018 radarthekat