ConnectSense announces Apple HomeKit and Siri-ready In-Wall Outlet

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2018
Accessory maker ConnectSense has announced the In-Wall Outlet, an alternate version of its Smart Outlet for people who want HomeKit support in a format that sits flush with their walls.

While some details, such as pricing, are still unannounced, the accessory should include power monitoring, mutliple networking options, and its own on/off controls. Plug detection will keep power off unless an outlet is actually being used.

It will feature two connected plugs with a 125V/20A commercial rating.

The In-Wall Outlet is expected to ship sometime in the third quarter. The Smart Outlet dates back to 2015, making it one of the older HomeKit products on the market.

ConnectSense's older Smart Outlet.

ConnectSense's product is noteworthy because most other HomeKit power control solutions instead are plugged in and add bulk. By offering an in-wall outlet, ConnectSense offers a more discreet form of smart home control with HomeKit and Siri integration, much like a HomeKit wall switch.

More details should be made available at next week's CES 2018 event in Las Vegas. AppleInsider will be in attendance and provide full coverage.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Mmm. I would still say that thing adds bulk. 

But it good to see vendors getting on board. I imagine Apple’s stringent security requirements didn’t make it easy. 
    cecil444
  • Reply 2 of 11
    Rayz2016 said:
    Well the article says "flush with the walls" so the picture might not show the actual product since that is clearly not in-wall but very bulky indeed. Wouldn’t wanna have that in my home.
    edited January 2018
  • Reply 3 of 11
    Rayz2016 said:
    Well the article says "flush with the walls" so the picture might not show the actual product since that is clearly not in-wall but very bulky indeed. Wouldn’t wanna have that in my home.
    It clearly says the second picture is of their older model. The new one mounts inside the wall and is flush.
    StrangeDaysretrogustotzm41Notsofastjony0
  • Reply 4 of 11
    sandorsandor Posts: 658member
    wassimj said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    It clearly says the second picture is of their older model. The new one mounts inside the wall and is flush.

And the new one doesn't look much different in size than a standard 20 amp GFCI outlet.

The bigger question with devices like this (and outlets with USB ports, etc) is whether or not they are UL listed/approved. If not, they may void your renters or homeowners insurance in case of a fire/damage.
    wassimj
  • Reply 5 of 11
    starxdstarxd Posts: 128member
    I don't get the headline.  Why point out that it's both HomeKit AND Siri ready?  Don't those go hand in hand?  
  • Reply 6 of 11
    starxdstarxd Posts: 128member
    sandor said:
    wassimj said:
    Rayz2016 said:

And the new one doesn't look much different in size than a standard 20 amp GFCI outlet.

The bigger question with devices like this (and outlets with USB ports, etc) is whether or not they are UL listed/approved. If not, they may void your renters or homeowners insurance in case of a fire/damage.
    Why wouldn't they be UL approved?  
    edited January 2018
  • Reply 7 of 11
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    sandor said:
    wassimj said:
    Rayz2016 said:

You are not allow to sell any product in the US which is electrical which is not safety approved. This is not an issue.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    sandorsandor Posts: 658member
    starxd said:
    sandor said:
    wassimj said:
    Rayz2016 said:

There many instances of online retailers selling such items.

What is "allowed" and what actually happens in real life can be entirely different things.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Great, but what I REALLY want is a 90W USB-C power supply in my wall outlets. The convenience at home and at the office would be extraordinary. Any companies want to step up to the plate?
    applesnoranges
  • Reply 10 of 11
    mscohen said:
    Great, but what I REALLY want is a 90W USB-C power supply in my wall outlets. The convenience at home and at the office would be extraordinary. Any companies want to step up to the plate?
    If no one steps up to the plate maybe this is your chance to be an entrepreneur 😎
  • Reply 11 of 11
    lukeilukei Posts: 379member
    starxd said:
    sandor said:
    wassimj said:
    Rayz2016 said:

Because NRTL approval (UL is just one testing house that provides such approval) is not a legal requirement.