AT&T announces plans to launch mobile 5G service in 12 cities by end of 2018

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 37
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    mavemufc said:

Why don't you get more data on your plan then? I've got 100GB on my new iPhone 10.
    How much does that cost and what carrier are you on?

We've got 5GB and it costs nearly $100 on AT&T, that is if we don't go over but we often do so it costs even more.
    edited January 2018 tallest skil
  • Reply 22 of 37
    tallest skil said:

Your Toyota breaks down? Why don’t you get a Lamborghini?
    Probably the other way around so not a very good analogy. 
  • Reply 23 of 37
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    volcan said:
    Probably the other way around so not a very good analogy. 
    But you literally just agreed with my premise… oh, are lambos not known for reliability? I just went with “the expensive one.” I wanted to avoid a straight up “let them eat cake” scenario, particularly when that’s apocryphal.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 24 of 37
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,879member
    macseeker said:
    Now we can burn through our data plans in a few minutes time. NEAT! Still will have the same low amount data plans. 5G really not worth it.
    I'm not so sure. The speed of download on my iPhone is pretty fast. Making it faster isn't going to make me use more of it -- I'm limited by my reading speed, not download speed. And listening of podcast/music speed, not download speed.
  • Reply 25 of 37
    airnerdairnerd Posts: 693member
    mike1 said:
    airnerd said:
    wood1208 said:
    This means 2018 iphone will have Intel 5G modem chip inside.
    perhaps for a March "entry" iPhone refresh?  Need to upgrade my 6, but not in love with the price of the X that has features I won't use (I'm old and don't use emojis and aside from gimmick games don't see a use for AR yet).  An iPhone 8c might be what I need though.  
    Old people seem to love emojis. Heck, my mother can't send a message without including at least a dozen.
    ok, maybe I'm middle aged.  I do use emoji's every so often, but can't see myself making an animated one.  
  • Reply 26 of 37
    mavemufcmavemufc Posts: 326member
    ksec said:
    The world is moving towards unlimited plans as Carrier should have abundant capacity once they have 5G rolled out.
    Which means the US won’t be getting them. “Should have” doesn’t mean anything when we’re talking about corporations–particularly telecoms and other media companies.
    mavemufc said:
    Why don't you get more data on your plan then? I've got 100GB on my new iPhone 10.
    Your Toyota breaks down? Why don’t you get a Lamborghini?
    Well I mean, theres a difference in paying a bit extra for more data on your mobile plan, than buying a car worth 10x your current one, but if you can afford a Lamborghini then go for it.
  • Reply 27 of 37
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,687member
    5G Will be about much more than phones and data plans. 

I read about an idea to put sensors on each invidual salmon in a salmon farm and have them report lice levels on the fish in real time over 5G.

Huawei recently conducted remote driving tests of a car (in addition to those already carried out in June 2017 in China).

https://5g.co.uk/news/vodafone-5g-revolutionise-driving/4242/

Expect your robot vacuum cleaner to take on video surveillance and other tasks and pump the information around over 5G or act on your instructions. who knows, in 10 years they might come armed with tasers!

Of course, how much your provider will try to squeeze out of you to use so many different objects running off 5G is another matter.
  • Reply 28 of 37
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Odd they'd announce there are 12 cities, yet they fail to mention which cities.

Truckee, California? Bethlehem Springs, Idaho? :neutral: 
    edited January 2018
  • Reply 29 of 37
    mavemufcmavemufc Posts: 326member
    volcan said:
    mavemufc said:

We've got 5GB and it costs nearly $100 on AT&T, that is if we don't go over but we often do so it costs even more.
    I'm from the UK, so my carrier is EE, I'm £68 per month, they had a deal on when you were upgrading that If you chose a plan that had 20GB or more they'd give you 100GB instead.
  • Reply 30 of 37
    volcan said:
    mavemufc said:

If you are on a plan with overages with AT&T then you’re on an old plan. Go into a store and see about the newer plans. They are cheaper and don’t have overage charges 
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 31 of 37
    deminsd said:
    macseeker said:
    Now we can burn through our data plans in a few minutes time. NEAT! Still will have the same low amount data plans. 5G really not worth it.
    I've tried, but cannot figure out how people think that faster service will use MORE data?  A movie is a fixed amount of data, whether you get it downloaded in 2 minutes or 2 hours.  A website contains a fixed amount of data, too.  Everything you do is a fixed amount of data and that amount of data won't change just because you have faster service.  

If you use your phone data service to download torrents all day, then I can possibly see how you'd use your plan data faster, but people don't do that.   Maybe you have nothing better to do than watch endless Youtube videos every day until your data is depleted?  Then, yes, you would consume all your data faster.

But for everyone else, we will generally use the same amount of data as we do each month.  Analogy--the city triples the size of the water main coming into your water meter at your house.  Are you going to consume 3x more water because the pipe in the street is bigger?  
    What I'm talking about is for people who have a set number GBs per month, they will burn through their data plans fast.  Then the rest of the month, their mobile device is useless when accessing the Internet.  So far, I haven't heard of AT&T coming up with good unlimited data plans.  Also there are people who don't have the funds for paying for another data plan for the rest of the month.  My data plan is limited for my iPad.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 32 of 37
    williamh said:
    deminsd said:
    macseeker said:
    I've tried, but cannot figure out how people think that faster service will use MORE data?  A movie is a fixed amount of data, whether you get it downloaded in 2 minutes or 2 hours.  A website contains a fixed amount of data, too.  Everything you do is a fixed amount of data and that amount of data won't change just because you have faster service.  

If you use your phone data service to download torrents all day, then I can possibly see how you'd use your plan data faster, but people don't do that.   Maybe you have nothing better to do than watch endless Youtube videos every day until your data is depleted?  Then, yes, you would consume all your data faster.

But for everyone else, we will generally use the same amount of data as we do each month.  Analogy--the city triples the size of the water main coming into your water meter at your house.  Are you going to consume 3x more water because the pipe in the street is bigger?  
    The article provides some hints at how you will use more data, and internet history suggests it will come to pass.  4k video, immersive VR, etc.  Websites used to work over dial up connections,  Broadband internet enabled richer content.  Try using dial-up now.  We use exponentially more data than we used to and not because we're necessarily doing more on the internet- but yeah we're doing more too.

This.

As with any resource, usage will expand to the limits of that resource.   When more bandwidth becomes available, we will use more bandwidth.  Content providers will find something to fill it up with, such as, as you allude, over the web VR, ever higher resolutions, etc.

• Reply 33 of 37
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    ksec said:
    The world is moving towards unlimited plans as Carrier should have abundant capacity once they have 5G rolled out.
    Which means the US won’t be getting them. “Should have” doesn’t mean anything when we’re talking about corporations–particularly telecoms and other media companies.

Haven't T-Mobile already started it? I said should have as I was being conservative. US may be moving slower then other parts of the world, but the end game is still the same. Especially when you have T-Mobile and Sprint. T-Mobile is aggressive, and they have plans to move all their LTE-U to LTE LAA, which will be useful once all the phones get support.

Massive MIMO with TDD gives Sprint anywhere between 10x and up to 100x capacity. All without the changes of user equipment. FDD is a little more complicated, but it should still give 3 - 4x capacity. All of these are excluding any benefits you get with LTE LAA. Which I think most telecom are already eyeing to change their WiFi hotpot to support it.

*Note: Intel or Qualcomm 5G Modem, those 5G modem specifically refers to mmWave modem. So a little different from the 5G being mentioned here with AT&T. The Spec sheet for the newer 7660 Modem is not out yet, but it may likely be a 5G modem as well.

• Reply 34 of 37
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    volcan said:
    mavemufc said:

If you are on a plan with overages with AT&T then you’re on an old plan. Go into a store and see about the newer plans. They are cheaper and don’t have overage charges 
    This is true. Went to an AT&T store and upped my plan from 30GB to “unlimited”, although after a certain ceiling is hit, they throttle the network speed until the next month.
  • Reply 35 of 37
    volcan said:
    mavemufc said:

This is true. Went to an AT&T store and upped my plan from 30GB to “unlimited”, although after a certain ceiling is hit, they throttle the network speed until the next month.
    That's the thing. When we go over it is usually when I'm traveling for business where I use my iPhone as a hot spot for MBP. In that situation the last thing I want is throttling. I rather pay the overage and get full speed.
  • Reply 36 of 37
    Odd they'd announce there are 12 cities, yet they fail to mention which cities.

Truckee, California? Bethlehem Springs, Idaho? :neutral: 
    In 2016 AT&T announced that they were testing 5G in Austin, TX, so I imagine it will be one of the twelve.

https://www.macrumors.com/2017/08/30/att-expands-5g-network-test/

The tests also evaluated 5G fixed wireless, which is intended to be a replacement for current wired broadband solutions (xDSL, cable)

But they will choose cities where the deployments are easy, to maximize the number of users per area. Places like NYC, where tall buildings pose coverage problems, will likely not be on the first list of deployments. 
    edited January 2018
  • Reply 37 of 37
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    rbnetengr said:
    But they will choose cities where the deployments are easy, to maximize the number of users per area. Places like NYC, where tall buildings pose coverage problems, will likely not be on the first list of deployments. 
    Their biggest moneymaker–with the maximum number of users per area–will likely not be first? Really?