Mophie Powerstation AC grants USB-C MacBook 15 extra hours of runtime

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2018
Battery purveyor Mophie has debuted a large USB-PD external battery for USB-C devices like the MacBook and MacBook Pro, with one USB-A and AC socket for additional charging options.

The Powerstation AC was announced on Wednesday, and contains an inverter, and can provide 100W of power through a conventional AC plug, allowing for higher-drain devices to be run or charged through the battery with their own power adapters. The USB-A, USB-C and AC plugs are available concurrently, with up to 100W of charging happening simultaneously.

A single USB-C port provides 30W of power to a connected device, suitable for the fastest possible charging of Apple's 12-inch MacBook. The battery in the device is 22,000 mAh, with Mophie claiming that the Powerstation AC can deliver 15 hours of extra battery life for the MacBook, and one extra hour to a MacBook Pro connected to the AC plug on the battery.

The Mophie Powerstation AC will still charge the 60W 13-inch and 87W 15-inch MacBook Pro while the computer is off through USB-C, but will not maintain full power while either laptop is actively being used. It can also be charged by USB-C when connected to a computer connected to another source of power with a button-press.

A "Priority+ Charging" feature provides pass-through power to a device connected to USB-A before the battery in the unit charges. Charging of the battery itself is performed through USB-C.

The Mophie Powerstation AC is available now for $199.95. It includes a protective cover for the device and a charging adapter, but charging cables like USB-C to USB-C or any USB-A cables are not included.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    Sweet. Now put a adult sized processor in that Pink one, thunderbolt 3 and a second usb c and re brand it the new MacBook Air and maybe someone will Buy it instead of thinking the iPad Pro is a laptop 

entropys
  • Reply 2 of 10
    My 2015 MacBook Retina has a 39.7 Wh battery. The 22,000 mAh does not help me much. At what V (Voltage/Tension) was this number calculated ?
    edited January 2018
  • Reply 3 of 10
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator
    My 2015 MacBook Retina has a 39.7 Wh battery. The 22,000 mAh does not help me much. At what V (Voltage/Tension) was this number calculated ?
    More specifically, the 15 hours is for the MacBook through USB-C. Not the MacBook Pro.

Mophie says that AC-powered laptops like the MacBook Pro will get an hour, like the article says.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,152member
    Sweet. Now put a adult sized processor in that Pink one, thunderbolt 3 and a second usb c and re brand it the new MacBook Air and maybe someone will Buy it instead of thinking the iPad Pro is a laptop 

You know, I believe I have never actually seen someone with the current design of a MacBook outside of a store display. MBAs, on the other hand, are everywhere.
    edited January 2018
  • Reply 5 of 10
    I have a 20000mah Anker PowerCore which gives my 2016 15" touch bar mac another 5-6 hours of battery at high use.. and it cost me 40EUR :)
  • Reply 6 of 10
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,274member
    entropys said:
    You know, I believe I have never actually seen someone with the current design of a MacBook outside of a store display. MBAs, on the other hand, are everywhere.
    I, on the other hand, see MacBooks very frequently -- about the same ratio as Windows Surfaces (though with less perplexed looks on the faces of the MB owners). Space Gray and Rose Gold seem to be the most popular colours, and we often strike up friendly chats about the machines at coffeeshops, airport lounges, places like that. The one thing that comes up again and again is how happy people are about the battery life, since it is very comparable to my iPad + keyboard combination.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    It's a step in the right direction, but still not what MBP users are looking for. Nobody wants to have to plug an AC power adapter into a portable battery. And output can reach 100W but input is limited to 30W? Yuck. 

What is preventing these USB-C batteries from supporting USB-PD at 60W input and output? Is there simply not enough demand for component suppliers to produce a USB-PD controller capable of 60W+? Or are there inherent electrical issues that make it difficult to provide 20V @ 3A from a portable battery?

The market for USB battery packs is competitive enough that it must be impractical, the component doesn't exist, or the component is too expensive to include in a battery at this price point. (Given that Morphie is trying to sell this SKU is $200, I'd have a hard time believing that it's a component cost issue.)
  • Reply 8 of 10
    one extra hour to a MacBook Pro connected to the AC plug on the battery.
    What does this mean? So if my mbp can run for 7 hours, now I get 8 hours in total?? Why would I spend $200 for that extra hour?
  • Reply 9 of 10
    dcgoodcgoo Posts: 280member
    The underlying problem may be the device is at the 100 watthour limit for air transport.  I am surprised there is no notice in manual about air travel restrictions due to its 100 WH lithium ion battery.  It cannot ever transported in checked baggage, only carry on. 
  • Reply 10 of 10
    bshankbshank Posts: 255member
    vannygee said:
    I have a 20000mah Anker PowerCore which gives my 2016 15" touch bar mac another 5-6 hours of battery at high use.. and it cost me 40EUR :)
    Unfortunately Anker has issues with many of its products. The battery you’re speaking of messed up my MacBook