Samsung's Exynos 9810 mobile processor follows Apple's A11 chip with machine learning feat...

Comments

• Reply 21 of 42
    VRing said:

The Exynos 8890 launched in 2016 and, its successor, the Exynos 8895 in 2017. Both used similar Mongoose cores, the M1 and M2. The M2 was only a slight tweaking from the M1. 

Geekbench Single Core:

-Exynos 8890 (Galaxy S7 - M1): 1,758
    -Exynos 8895 (Galaxy S8 - M2): 1,956

The M3 is a new design. So it's not exactly year over year performance as they essentially stood still in 2017.

Irrelevant as to whether it’s a new design. Nobody has ever come close to 4,000 single core. Not Samsung, not Qualcomm or even ARM themselves. Likewise, neither of them has ever seen increases in performance anywhere near 2X. Ever.

To think Samsung is going to hit 4,000 in single core us just wishful thinking. 
    Agreed. A 2X increase in single core performance for an Android phone using either a Samsung or Qualcomm chip is hugely significant. If Samsung has achieved this it is a game changer for them (multi core performance is basically nonsense for most phone operations). It also means it’ll leave the Snapdragon version of the S9 in the dust—does that seem like a likely move by Samsung? This seems suspicious for sure, but we’ll see once it’s released. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 42
    What? They announced a chip without announcing the product that will use it? Well I’m sure Android P will have deep feature integration with this... /s
    If you don't have a clue, better don't talk about it!!! This chip Exynos 9810 will be used in Samsung's flagship phones (S9, S9+, Note 9 or whatever it is called) for 2018, except for USA/China where Qualcomm's Snapdragon 845 will be used. This is known to everyone in Android world.
    So where did Samsung state that as fact?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 42
    Is “massively popular Animoji” really a thing?  This all seems gimmicky at the moment...

I’m more interested in the wireless tech, but it seems like everyone’s spec is a bazillion Mbps when in reality it nice to maintaining 2Mbps.

I’ll be thrilled when I can get 10Mbps, which is really what I’m paying for but not receiving now.

Who needs features when you can dine on benchmarks and specs?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 42
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,667member
    yonis said:
    Emphases mine:
    Samsung has launched its newest application processor for mobile devices, the Exynos 9 Series 9810, but claimed new features to the processor line, including depth-sensing face detection and deep learning capabilities, suggest Samsung may be borrowing some concepts from in Apple's A11 Bionic, used in the iPhone 8 and iPhone X.
    Notably for this launch, Samsung is touting the chip's capabilities relating to image processing and "neural network-based deep learning," in what could be considered an attempt to match Apple and the new features introduced with the iPhone X.
    The design lifecycle for these products is measured in years, not months. In other words, Samsung was working on this stuff in parallel to Apple, not serially.
    Yes. Credit where credit is due. Samsung is not borrowing the Neural aspect from Apple, nor depth sensing.

It's clear that those aspects were baked in long before the A11 was even announced. The reality is they were developed in parallel but are just on different roadmaps.

If we are to believe Apple, the X wasn't even planned for 2017. That would have put Samsung ahead of Apple (early 2018 release for S9) but, like I said, this is roadmaps and product release cycles, not much more (unless Apple borrowed the NPU from Huawei of course  ;) )
  • Reply 25 of 42
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    VRing said:
    VRing said:
    I don’t buy for a minute their 2X single core claim. Samsung has never achieved anywhere near that year over year in any of their CPUs.

Further, how could they double single core and yet manage a measly 40% multi core increase? Something doesn’t add up.

Unless...

They doubled performance of their low power cores by 2X, not their high power cores.
    The Exynos 8890 launched in 2016 and, its successor, the Exynos 8895 in 2017. Both used similar Mongoose cores, the M1 and M2. The M2 was only a slight tweaking from the M1. 

Geekbench Single Core:

The M3 is a new design. So it's not exactly year over year performance as they essentially stood still in 2017.

Irrelevant as to whether it’s a new design. Nobody has ever come close to 4,000 single core. Not Samsung, not Qualcomm or even ARM themselves. Likewise, neither of them has ever seen increases in performance anywhere near 2X. Ever.

Why is that irrelevant? Because you say so? Hardly convincing. Having a new design is very relevant.

You're arguing with Samsung's claims. Obviously we'll see when the Galaxy S9 launches, but I don't see why Samsung would lie about their performance to such an extent.

I’m pretty sure Samsung would say just about anything to hype up future products. This was a company that boosted clock speeds ONLY while benchmark tests ran and throttled it the rest of the time.
    ericthehalfbeeStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 42
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    VRing said:
    To give everyone an idea of performance based on Samsung's claims:

Apple A10 (iPhone 7 Plus)

-Geekbench Single Core: 3,438
    -Geekbench Multi Core: 5,723
    -3DMark Sling Shot Extreme (Metal): 1,986

Exynos 8895 (Galaxy S8)

-Geekbench Single Core: 1,956
    -Geekbench Multi Core: 6,432
    -3DMark Sling Shot Extreme (OpenGL): 3,142

Apple A11 (iPhone X)

-Geekbench Single Core: 4,203
    -Geekbench Multi Core: 10,103
    -3DMark Sling Shot Extreme (Metal): 2,691

Exynos 9810 (expected performance)

-Geekbench Single Core: 3,912 (2x performance increase)
    -Geekbench Multi Core: 9,005 (1.4x performance increase)
    -3DMark Sling Shot Extreme (OpenGL): 3,770 (1.2x performance increase)

Geekbench values: https://browser.geekbench.com/
    3DMark values: https://www.futuremark.com/hardware/mobile

It looks like Samsung will extend their graphics lead and start approaching Apple in single core and multi core performance. It's clear that Apple has a decent lead in CPU performance.

Graphics lead!? Nonsense.

Samsung’s phones have ridiculously high density displays, that’s why they need all that graphics power - to drive the displays.

If you look at the top of that list in the link you provided, Apple’s A10X has a huge lead over everyone else; 4698. You’ll also notice that’s for the 12.9” iPad Pro - it has a huge display.

StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 42
    GG1GG1 Posts: 483member
    What? They announced a chip without announcing the product that will use it? Well I’m sure Android P will have deep feature integration with this... /s
    If you don't have a clue, better don't talk about it!!! This chip Exynos 9810 will be used in Samsung's flagship phones (S9, S9+, Note 9 or whatever it is called) for 2018, except for USA/China where Qualcomm's Snapdragon 845 will be used. This is known to everyone in Android world.
    Why is Qualcomm’s Snapdragon being used in the USA & China and their own chip everywhere else?

Is this some kind of backroom deal to license Qualcomm’s wireless IP for use in their Exynos?
    "Why is Qualcomm’s Snapdragon being used in the USA & China and their own chip everywhere else?"

The USA still use Qualcomm's legacy CDMA2000 system (used by Verizon and Sprint), and Qualcomm control the IP for it in their own chips. For China, I assume their network operators must still have portions of CDMA2000. CDMA2000 is sunsetting, but who knows when.

The rest of the world predominantly doesn't use CDMA2000, so other vendors' modem chips (MediaTek, Samsung Exynos, etc.) can be used (or non-CDMA2000 chips can be used on USA's GSM networks, such as AT&T and T-Mobile, which is why Apple have two iPhone flavors per model -- one with Intel, one with Qualcomm). No Qualcomm licensing is involved in chips that don't support CDMA2000.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 42
    VRingVRing Posts: 108member
    mjtomlin said:
    VRing said:
    VRing said:
    I don’t buy for a minute their 2X single core claim. Samsung has never achieved anywhere near that year over year in any of their CPUs.

Further, how could they double single core and yet manage a measly 40% multi core increase? Something doesn’t add up.

Unless...

They doubled performance of their low power cores by 2X, not their high power cores.

Geekbench Single Core:

Why is that irrelevant? Because you say so? Hardly convincing. Having a new design is very relevant.

You're arguing with Samsung's claims. Obviously we'll see when the Galaxy S9 launches, but I don't see why Samsung would lie about their performance to such an extent.

I’m pretty sure Samsung would say just about anything to hype up future products. This was a company that boosted clock speeds ONLY while benchmark tests ran and throttled it the rest of the time.
    Since 2013 they've been much more transparent on device performance. As well, their performance claims are often consistent with the end result. Obviously we'll see how it holds up when the S9 launches in a couple months.

mjtomlin said:
    VRing said:
    To give everyone an idea of performance based on Samsung's claims:

Apple A10 (iPhone 7 Plus)

-Geekbench Single Core: 3,438
    -Geekbench Multi Core: 5,723
    -3DMark Sling Shot Extreme (Metal): 1,986

Exynos 8895 (Galaxy S8)

-Geekbench Single Core: 1,956
    -Geekbench Multi Core: 6,432
    -3DMark Sling Shot Extreme (OpenGL): 3,142

Apple A11 (iPhone X)

-Geekbench Single Core: 4,203
    -Geekbench Multi Core: 10,103
    -3DMark Sling Shot Extreme (Metal): 2,691

Exynos 9810 (expected performance)

-Geekbench Single Core: 3,912 (2x performance increase)
    -Geekbench Multi Core: 9,005 (1.4x performance increase)
    -3DMark Sling Shot Extreme (OpenGL): 3,770 (1.2x performance increase)

Geekbench values: https://browser.geekbench.com/
    3DMark values: https://www.futuremark.com/hardware/mobile

It looks like Samsung will extend their graphics lead and start approaching Apple in single core and multi core performance. It's clear that Apple has a decent lead in CPU performance.

Graphics lead!? Nonsense.

Samsung’s phones have ridiculously high density displays, that’s why they need all that graphics power - to drive the displays.

If you look at the top of that list in the link you provided, Apple’s A10X has a huge lead over everyone else; 4698. You’ll also notice that’s for the 12.9” iPad Pro - it has a huge display.

Graphical lead for a smartphone SoC.

The A10X in the 12.9" iPad Pro is not a smartphone SoC by any means. Note that the 12.9" iPad Pro even offers 23% more performance than the 10.5" iPad Pro. Trying to squeeze the A10X into an iPhone would result in even lower performance than the A11.
  • Reply 29 of 42
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,294member
    Gmgravytrain: "Samsung's motto is, "Anything Apple innovates, we can copy better after five or six attempts -- or three-to-five years, whichever comes first." Fixed that for you.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 42
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    VRing said:
    VRing said:

Unless...

Geekbench Single Core:

a. That it’s new is indeed irrelevant to his point that they won’t make that number. 

b. As for Samsung lying about their performance, are we talking about the same Samsung?

http://www.idownloadblog.com/2013/07/30/samsung-caught-cheating-s4/

http://bgr.com/2013/11/27/samsung-benchmark-cheating-banned-htc/

But hey, at least they weren’t the only ones doing it:

https://www.engadget.com/2013/10/02/samsung-reportedly-not-alone-in-cheating-android-benchmarks/

http://bgr.com/2013/10/02/android-benchmark-optimization/

...enjoy your knockoffs. 

watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 42
    avon b7 said:
    yonis said:
    Emphases mine:
    Samsung has launched its newest application processor for mobile devices, the Exynos 9 Series 9810, but claimed new features to the processor line, including depth-sensing face detection and deep learning capabilities, suggest Samsung may be borrowing some concepts from in Apple's A11 Bionic, used in the iPhone 8 and iPhone X.
    Notably for this launch, Samsung is touting the chip's capabilities relating to image processing and "neural network-based deep learning," in what could be considered an attempt to match Apple and the new features introduced with the iPhone X.
    The design lifecycle for these products is measured in years, not months. In other words, Samsung was working on this stuff in parallel to Apple, not serially.
    If we are to believe Apple, the X wasn't even planned for 2017. That would have put Samsung ahead of Apple (early 2018 release for S9) but, like I said, this is roadmaps and product release cycles, not much more (unless Apple borrowed the NPU from Huawei of course  ;) )
    Nope. Apple said the X with its final feature set, namely Face ID, wasn’t originally expected to be ready so early, but they never said whether or not the A11 was or not. 
    suddenly newtonwatto_cobratmay
  • Reply 32 of 42
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    There is just one fact. Samsung claim has never been true.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 42
    avon b7 said:
    yonis said:
    Emphases mine:
    Nope. Apple said the X with its final feature set, namely Face ID, wasn’t originally expected to be ready so early, but they never said whether or not the A11 was or not. 
    If the X hadn't been released this year, it would have put Samsung ahead - yes, on depth sensing for FaceID-style use.

First paragraph of this article:

"Samsung has launched its newest application processor for mobile devices, the Exynos 9 Series 9810, but claimed new features to the processor line, including depth-sensing face detection and deep learning capabilities, suggest Samsung may be borrowing some concepts from in Apple's A11 Bionic, used in the iPhone 8 and iPhone X."

• Reply 34 of 42
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,328member
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:
    yonis said:
    Emphases mine:
    If the X hadn't been released this year, it would have put Samsung ahead - yes, on depth sensing for FaceID-style use.

"Samsung has launched its newest application processor for mobile devices, the Exynos 9 Series 9810, but claimed new features to the processor line, including depth-sensing face detection and deep learning capabilities, suggest Samsung may be borrowing some concepts from in Apple's A11 Bionic, used in the iPhone 8 and iPhone X."

Your supposition is that Apple was "fortunate" to be able to incorporate depth sensing and deep learning into the A11 Bionic for the iPhone X, whereas I suspect that it was actually the availability of VCSEL's of sufficient capability and in sufficient volume for the iPhone X. 

I would note, again, that Apple's new models in the fall will likely be all FaceID, and second generation VCSEL"s. For that, Apple is funding Finisar to renovate a facility in Texas to create and produce the next generations of VCSEL's.

https://www.cnet.com/news/apple-invests-390m-in-finisar-iphone-laser-chip-maker/

"VCSELs power some of the most sophisticated technology we've ever developed and we're thrilled to partner with Finisar over the next several years to push the boundaries of VCSEL technology and the applications they enable," said Jeff Williams, Apple's chief operating officer, in a statement. 

"We're extremely proud that our involvement will help transform another American community into a manufacturing powerhouse."

• Reply 35 of 42
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:
    yonis said:
    Emphases mine:

Again, he said the phone with Face ID now known as the X was expected to take longer. He said nothing of the A11 taking longer. We’re talking about processors. And since the A11 is also in the 8, even if the X was delayed a year the A11 would be in the 8....so your claim about samsung being first if the X was delayed is multiple layers of nonsense. 

Basically, if your bragging rights require parallel universes you’re employing some serious mental gymnastics. 
    edited January 2018 tmay
  • Reply 36 of 42
    VRing said:

Unless...

Geekbench Single Core:

In Samsung's release they put "2.9GHz" and 2x performance together in one sentence, so that got to be the performance core.
    On the other hand, Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 stands similar to Exynos 8895 with a single core score about ~1900, and Qualcomm only claimed ~25% single core uplift for its 2.8GHz performance core. So if Samsung's claim is true, that leaves Snapdragon 845 far behind.

I know Samsung/Qualcomm have their exclusive deals for USA/China market, but would it make any sense if the performance gap is so large?
  • Reply 37 of 42
    georgie01 said:
    VRing said:

Geekbench Single Core:

Agreed. A 2X increase in single core performance for an Android phone using either a Samsung or Qualcomm chip is hugely significant. If Samsung has achieved this it is a game changer for them (multi core performance is basically nonsense for most phone operations). It also means it’ll leave the Snapdragon version of the S9 in the dust—does that seem like a likely move by Samsung? This seems suspicious for sure, but we’ll see once it’s released. 
    Well, I think what they might have done (and to respond to my own post above), is quoting single-core score at 2.9GHz v.s. widely published score at 1.7GHz. If one normalize to frequency, the real single-core uplift is probably just ~20%. This would be inline with Qualcomm's claim to their Snapdragon 845, which is performance core runs up to 2.8GHz and has 25%~30% perf uplift, and the efficiency core runs up to 1.8GHz and has 15% perf uplift.

Reference
    https://www.anandtech.com/show/12114/qualcomm-announces-snapdragon-845-soc

And single-core score from 
    https://browser.geekbench.com/android-benchmarks/

DeviceScore
    Samsung Galaxy Note 8
    Samsung Exynos 8895 Octa @ 1.7 GHz

Samsung Galaxy S8

Samsung Galaxy S8+

Xiaomi MI 6
    Qualcomm MSM8998 Snapdragon 835 @ 1.9 GHz
  • Reply 38 of 42
    So where did Samsung state that as fact?
    They do NOT need to tell anyone, because it is that much OBVIOUS to anyone who knows about Android/Samsung phone launch cycles. If you do NOT know about Android phones, that is fine. But don't comment as if you know about it. Qualcomm launched Snapdragon 845 few weeks back. Do they NEED to tell ANYONE that it would be the SoC used in majority of the Android flagship phones to be launched in 2018? There is NO need for that, it is that obvious.
  • Reply 39 of 42
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:
    yonis said:
    Emphases mine:

Again, he said the phone with Face ID now known as the X was expected to take longer. He said nothing of the A11 taking longer. We’re talking about processors. And since the A11 is also in the 8, even if the X was delayed a year the A11 would be in the 8....so your claim about samsung being first if the X was delayed is multiple layers of nonsense. 

Basically, if your bragging rights require parallel universes you’re employing some serious mental gymnastics. 
    I was not limiting my post to the A11:

"Yes. Credit where credit is due. Samsung is not borrowing the Neural aspect from Apple, nor depth sensing."

I do not need 'bragging rights' and there are no mental gymnastics anywhere to be seen except for your attempt to centre on the A11 when it was painfully clear that I was NOT limiting myself to the A11 alone.

singularity
  • Reply 40 of 42
    aegeanaegean Posts: 164member
    Copycat, copycat, copycat.