All Mac & iOS CPUs affected by 'Meltdown' and 'Spectre' chip flaws, some fixes already in ...

Comments

• Reply 21 of 56
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    All chips sre impacted: Intel, AMD and ARM based. I’ll go back to Pentium!
  • Reply 22 of 56
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    sflocal said:
    nouser said:
    This flaw has been in the chips since the mid 90's.  These recent Apple patches are only applicable to fairly recent devices.  What about those of us who still have lots of older hardware in daily use?  I have a lot of very usable hardware that is unable to run the latest Mac OS / IOS.  I'm confident I'm not the only one.  Not pleased with this solution since I cannot use it on all my hardware. 
    Is your machine suddenly unusable because of this flaw?  Why do you expect Apple to provide support for machines it no longer supports?  Do you expect Microsoft to release a patch for users out there still running Windows XP or Windows 98?
    I have an old Newton somewhere! It’s outrageous that Apple won’t … whats that? The Newton isn’t affected? Well … well it’s still an outrage! 🧐
    watto_cobrachiaGG1bakedbananas
  • Reply 23 of 56
    jas99 said:
    Who handles communication at Apple? The first sentence of the public statement should have been something like, “Apple has already issued software updates to address yada yada yada… While the Intel chip flaw exists in Macs, Apple has already addressed the issue.”

But no. The first thing Apple says is, “Everything Apple makes is affected.”

And that’s the headline.

Idiots.

I think Apple makes fantastic products and services but can Apple PLEASE take reasonable steps to combat the irrational haters of the world?
    I seem to have made the same mistake that you made. I didn’t read Apple’s statement before commenting. Here’s what Apple actually opened with:

Security researchers have recently uncovered security issues known by two names, Meltdown and Spectre. These issues apply to all modern processors and affect nearly all computing devices and operating systems. All Mac systems and iOS devices are affected, but there are no known exploits impacting customers at this time. Since exploiting many of these issues requires a malicious app to be loaded on your Mac or iOS device, we recommend downloading software only from trusted sources such as the App Store. 
    I added the emphasis in case people missed it. 

• Reply 24 of 56
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,362member
    It’s unfortunate that all the major media sites, e.g., CNN, and tv network news are blaring with Apple focused headlines and lead-ins to this story. It's like Apple is taking the fall for the entire computer industry when they seem to be the furthest along with mitigation steps of all the major affected players.

There was a time when this type of vulnerability would have only inspired hair-on-fire reactions from computer engineers and computer scientists who have a high level of respect for the kernel mode vs. user mode boundary. For logical and well understood reasons. Now we have grandmas, grandpas, farmers, bricklayers and ordinary nontechnical computer users being blasted with dire warnings around something called “speculative execution” that is going to melt down their only lifeline to civilization and Facebook. What’s next, having to have the “special talk” with your tweenage son or daughter about the dangers of “cache coherency?” As long as Apple is in there somewhere it will be suitably salacious and blaring headline worthy. 
    watto_cobrabakedbananas
  • Reply 25 of 56
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,101member
    So now Apple takes the blame for Intel’s screw ups. 

No wonder they’re called Fake News.
    edited January 2018 williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 56
    daven said:
    I think the good news is that Apple reports that their Meltdown fix does not require a performance hit and the Spectre fix is only a 2.5% hit.
    What's the betting that some (cough-cough) enterprising Lawyer adds this to the sueball against Apple for slowing their phone down? After all, Apple is slowing it down by these patches.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 56
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    nouser said:
    This flaw has been in the chips since the mid 90's.  These recent Apple patches are only applicable to fairly recent devices.  What about those of us who still have lots of older hardware in daily use?  I have a lot of very usable hardware that is unable to run the latest Mac OS / IOS.  I'm confident I'm not the only one.  Not pleased with this solution since I cannot use it on all my hardware. 
    Not a big deal if you install software from the iOS or Mac App Stores... again, it hasn’t been used in 20 years, it’s just possible but has not yet been plausible. Also, it may be time to update your hardware if you feel you’re not adequately protected.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 56
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    This is why I buy Apple. They’ve already mitigated the issue and will have it completely mitigated very soon.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 56
    daven said:
    I think the good news is that Apple reports that their Meltdown fix does not require a performance hit and the Spectre fix is only a 2.5% hit.
    What's the betting that some (cough-cough) enterprising Lawyer adds this to the sueball against Apple for slowing their phone down? After all, Apple is slowing it down by these patches.

Well it costs them nothing, and there’s always the (slim) chance that Apple might settle to avoid the inconvenience, so it’s worth a shot. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 56
    VRing said:
    Definitely a shame, but at least the industry is now moving quickly on this. When all is said and done, I'm curious to see what the final performance impacts will be on various devices and systems.
    As they should move on every problem, overnight!  They certainly have the the money and expertise that this shouldn’t happen that we know of.   
    More pity parties for whoever needs one. 
    Charlie T
    williamlondon
  • Reply 31 of 56
    ednlednl Posts: 61member
    Hey Apple, how about you also patch your other major, supposedly supported, OS: macOS 10.12 Sierra.
    williamlondonrazorpit
  • Reply 32 of 56
    zroger73zroger73 Posts: 787member
    Sensationalism

It's why I avoid most news these days.
    williamlondonlkruppwatto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 56
    petripetri Posts: 118member

nouser said:
    Have your old devices been exploited since the mid 90’s?
    That’s missing the point, the exploit existed since the nineties but hasn’t been known about till now.  Now that it’s documented and “out there”, there will be people trying to exploit it (some of them just for the hell of it).  Exploit code will become a common and tradeable
    commodity and unpatched older machines will be at risk.
    williamlondonrazorpit
  • Reply 34 of 56
    macplusplusmacplusplus Posts: 2,112member
    petri said:

nouser said:
    That’s missing the point, the exploit existed since the nineties but hasn’t been known about till now.  Now that it’s documented and “out there”, there will be people trying to exploit it (some of them just for the hell of it).  Exploit code will become a common and tradeable
    Here are older Macs that can install MacOS High Sierra. If you still refuse to install the latest operating system on these machines then this is your call:

macOS High Sierra can be installed on:

• macOS Sierra
    • OS X El Capitan
    • OS X Yosemite
    • OS X Mavericks
    • OS X Mountain Lion

If the machines are in the obsolete category Apple legally is not obligated to support them, officially vintage and obsolete products are listed in https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201624. Those machines can install a system version that includes Gatekeeper. Gatekeeper is available since OS X Mountain Lion. With Gatekeeper one can block applications from unidentified developers and the machines remain not exploited.
    edited January 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 56
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    netrox said:
    So Intel was telling the truth that it wasn't just Intel but also several non-Intel CPU's being affected.

Yep, the knee-jerk conspiracy theorists were wrong again. Intel was not trying to deflect attention away from itself. Intel was not in CYA mode.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 56
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    petri said:

nouser said:
    Well then lawyer up my friend. Everybody else is.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 56
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    MisterKit said:
    So far it looks like AMD has escaped this problem. I am surprised there has not been more talk about that.
    Escaped? Their chips are just as vulnerable. Or did you mean they’ve escaped negative press coverage?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 56
    horvatichorvatic Posts: 144member
    Software fix is coming this story is all about nothing.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 56
    "we recommend downloading software only from trusted sources such as the App Store"
    Will apple wave the 30% fee for developers to move their apps to the Mac App Store then?
    williamlondon
  • Reply 40 of 56
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    fallenjt said:
    All chips sre impacted: Intel, AMD and ARM based. I’ll go back to Pentium!
    Time to lug the G3 iMac back up from the basement, I guess.
    watto_cobra