Apple 2017 year in review: All of the products Apple announced that won't ship until 2018

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 38
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    pakitt said:
    iMessage in the Cloud is still missing....iOS12 like People iCloud syncing with iOS10 but came with iOS11.....???!?
    What is iMessage in the Cloud?  (I have no idea what the second part of that means.)
    Auto-syncronchornizatibn of iMessages.

I can't say I've really had that issue because of how I set up which "addresses" I can be reached at on each device, but I guess this will help make it more uniform so you're not having to check your setup after an updates to make sure, in my case, it sends from my email, not my cellphone number, or helping someone who isn't getting messages sent to all their devices because of their setup.

Those will likely help with troubleshooting issues, but the biggest benefit for us is that we can delete on one device and it will delete on the server and other devices, and a minor win for not having your messages data stored locally on each device.
    edited January 2018
  • Reply 22 of 38
    sanssans Posts: 58member
    Soli said:

[image]

This would definitely look dramatic, like the monolith from 2001: A Space Odyssey, if I couldn't see the rather generic room reflected on the Mac Pro!

On my list this year is a new MBP, probably a new iPad if it gets some dramatic overhaul and the next iPhone, of course!

Can anyone make out the shirt or have any better tools than Preview to adjust the image to a more normal view?

Looks like one of them Denver Broncos footy-ball shirts to me.
    Solitallest skil
  • Reply 23 of 38
    I think it world be great if Apple would for the Mac Pro just reuses the Aluminum tower case that it used to have. It was easy to upgrade and the tower can provide everything you need. I know this was not talked about, but it would be nice if Apple would actually make a real MacBook Pro with a modular design with actual real Pro power under the hood instead of worrying about thinness an throttling to keep heat down. I know I am probably less then 1% that wants this type of MacBook Pro, but I can dream right?
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 24 of 38
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    So  for the MOD Mac Pro Please apple at least 4 "internal" expansion areas or slots.
    I’m still worried that the “expansion” will just be stackable boxes connected with a proprietary socket into which you’ll plug “off the shelf” parts (read: “Here’s a list of “compatible” parts that is 1/100th of the parts available; have fun, suckers”).
    Even if they merely brought back the “cheese grater” Mac Pro, I think it would be an improvement.
    I’d buy a new cheese grater in black, sure.
    edited January 2018
  • Reply 25 of 38
    Soli said:
    pakitt said:
    iMessage in the Cloud is still missing....iOS12 like People iCloud syncing with iOS10 but came with iOS11.....???!?
    What is iMessage in the Cloud?  (I have no idea what the second part of that means.)

I can't say I've really had that issue because of how I set up which "addresses" I can be reached at on each device, but I guess this will help make it more uniform so you're not having to check your setup after an updates to make sure, in my case, it sends from my email, not my cellphone number, or helping someone who isn't getting messages sent to all their devices because of their setup.

Those will likely help with troubleshooting issues, but the biggest benefit for us is that we can delete on one device and it will delete on the server and other devices, and a minor win for not having your messages data stored locally on each device.
    Thanks. So sorta like IMAP versus POP but for messages.

iMessage could use some foundational cleanup, but it's a risky change.  For example, I have two message threads with my daughter, one when I started by texting her phone number and another when I used her email address (since iOS offered up both options when I typed her name).  It's a clumsy, confusing experience currently.  "It just works" since it's easy to start a conversation with someone, but it's not elegant over time.
    SoliGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 26 of 38
    Soli said:
    pakitt said:

Brilliant! I doubt a more succinct description will be made.

iMessage could use some foundational cleanup, but it's a risky change.  For example, I have two message threads with my daughter, one when I started by texting her phone number and another when I used her email address (since iOS offered up both options when I typed her name).  It's a clumsy, confusing experience currently.  "It just works" since it's easy to start a conversation with someone, but it's not elegant over time.
    I spent many months with sync issue that while was ultimately a server-side issue the fix was to have my iPhone replaced under warranty. This took months of complex uploading of my system through apps they sent me. Best I can guess is Apple's device-to-device encryption and security had created some issue that wasn't allowing my iPhone to select my email address in Settings and my Mac's Messages to not allow my phone number, so no two devices would get the same replies but I'd see all my sent messages on both devices. I figured this was rare based on the effort and time spent looking for solutions and getting back to me every week.
    edited January 2018
  • Reply 27 of 38
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    Soli said:
    pakitt said:

iMessage could use some foundational cleanup, but it's a risky change.  For example, I have two message threads with my daughter, one when I started by texting her phone number and another when I used her email address (since iOS offered up both options when I typed her name).  It's a clumsy, confusing experience currently.  "It just works" since it's easy to start a conversation with someone, but it's not elegant over time.
    Are they both on the same Contacts card? If not, merge them. Not 100% that’ll fix it, but that’s fixed similar problems for me in the past. 
  • Reply 28 of 38
    hypoluxa said:
    This will be an interesting year for Apple. Possibly a new MacPro, as well as a few other items. I'm looking forward to any new MBPro updates and what they might have to offer. 32GB of RAM option? Hopefully. Maybe a return of some IO ports? Doubt it, but we can always wish...I realize wireless is where it is all headed. 

What are your thoughts?
    I haven’t been tracking Intel’s chipset roadmap lately, but a 32GB model is wholly dependent on them. It *sounds* like we will hear about Coffee Lake H chips sometime in the first half of this year, which would then ship in .... ? as Intel is wont to do. Remember Skylake was announced in like Jan or Feb of 16, but the variants expected for the MBP didn’t ship until late summer. 

That said, I can’t find any concrete info about RAM capacities on the CFL-H chips. In the chart in the following article, it seems to indicate it supports DDR4 but no LP variant, whereas Skylake shows support for “DDR4/DDR3L” — so maybe it’s not the H variants that’d end up in a MBP since Schiller said they couldn’t use DDR4. Anyone have a better track on this?

On the plus side, these are hexacore 45W chips so maybe we see 6 cores in the next MBP? 

Still holding out for what comes this year, if my 2011 can keep it’s GPU alive a bit longer. :)
  • Reply 29 of 38
    A possible reason for the HomePod delay. Previous iterations of pre-production HomePods firmware were reported as the source of the biggest leakages of upcoming Apple products in 2017. Considering Apple traditional secrecy about upcoming products, it could just be that few key HomePod developers were ousted/fired as a consequence of the leakages, the HomePod development team has therefore been hit by internal reorganizations, and the HomePod development has ultimately been delayed.
  • Reply 30 of 38
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    bluefire1 said:
    Was really hoping for the HomePod to be released in December, but when it was delayed, I gave in and bought Amazon's Echo and Echo Spot. Now I know firsthand why their Echo line has been having blockbuster sales. These are truly excellent devices. Will still be getting the HomePod whenever it comes out, but Apple had better realize Amazon isn't Samsung. Amazon isn't a copycat and the company knows exactly what it's doing and how to do it right.
    The sooner the HomePod is released, the better.
    We have a Google Home and Echo Dot.  They are nice but not sticky for this Prime user.

I guess if I had more of the supporting infrastructure (TVs and appliances) in those ecosystems it would be but I don’t.  No Nests, no smart TVs, a lone Roku that sits unused.  I have an appleTV on each TV but I haven’t jumped in on the home automation front because everything is still somewhat half baked.  My house has a lot of electronic locks, thermostats, smoke alarms, security, etc but they are all still silos.

HomePod will be a thing for me when Home is less of a hodgepodge of semi-good components.
  • Reply 31 of 38
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    So  for the MOD Mac Pro Please apple at least 4 "internal" expansion areas or slots.
    I’m still worried that the “expansion” will just be stackable boxes connected with a proprietary socket into which you’ll plug “off the shelf” parts (read: “Here’s a list of “compatible” parts that is 1/100th of the parts available; have fun, suckers”).
    Even if they merely brought back the “cheese grater” Mac Pro, I think it would be an improvement.
    No, no.  Space Grey.
    dtb200
  • Reply 32 of 38
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    pakitt said:

iMessage could use some foundational cleanup, but it's a risky change.  For example, I have two message threads with my daughter, one when I started by texting her phone number and another when I used her email address (since iOS offered up both options when I typed her name).  It's a clumsy, confusing experience currently.  "It just works" since it's easy to start a conversation with someone, but it's not elegant over time.
    I spent many months with sync issue that while was ultimately a server-side issue the fix was to have my iPhone replaced under warranty. This took months of complex uploading of my system through apps they sent me. Best I can guess is Apple's device-to-device encryption and security had created some issue that wasn't allowing my iPhone to select my email address in Settings and my Mac's Messages to not allow my phone number, so no two devices would get the same replies but I'd see all my sent messages on both devices. I figured this was rare based on the effort and time spent looking for solutions and getting back to me every week.
    Interesting - I've never understood this issue as my iMessages have always synced between my iPhone and MBA. What am I missing pls?
  • Reply 33 of 38
    dtb200 said:
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    pakitt said:

Interesting - I've never understood this issue as my iMessages have always synced between my iPhone and MBA. What am I missing pls?
    Let's say you restore your iPhone from a week-old backup. When you go open Messages, it doesn't have anything from the past week. Or go delete a thread on your iPad, it doesn't delete on your iPhone or Mac. When iCloud iMessage stuff rolls out, it'll work more like IMAP and check the server for the complete list of all message threads all the time and mirror them on all connected devices.
  • Reply 34 of 38
    nht said:
    No, no.  Space Grey.
    I've always hated the name of that color. Why "Space"? Space isn't grey.
  • Reply 35 of 38
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,570member
    Will future Apple products also be vulnerable to Meltdown and Spectre attacks announced this week? Or will Apple get new Intel and ARM chips that have the firmware bug fixed? The next product I want to buy is HomePod but I may wait until Apple gets a new chip for it that is not vulnerable.
  • Reply 36 of 38
    colinngcolinng Posts: 116member
    The tech has changed since the decade and a half when those towers were in the vogue. 

- 4x3.5” hard drive bays aren’t as important (or performant or quiet) as the chewing gum stick sized SSDs. If you really want 10TB or spinning storage you can get that in a single Helium filled drive. If you need more spinning storage, maybe a Thunderbolt storage array is a better idea? 
    - What’s an optical drive? $50 at Costco for the 5 people with a burning need. 
    - List 4 things you would put into a Slot that can’t be done better using Thunderbolt. Here’s 1: GPU. List 3 more? If an equipment manufacturer makes a ThunderBolt device, its addressable market is every Mac user. 

I’m surprised people are pissing on the Mac Pro. My guess is the thermal envelope isn’t high enough for people who want 18 cores and massive GPUs, but those people now have that need served by the iMac Pro. Sure, adding RAM yourself is hard, but is the cheese grater tower really the best solution in 2017?

If you can get 256GB RAM in 4 tiny slots wouldn’t the other 49lbs of tower really start to feel like wasted space?  
    fastasleep
  • Reply 37 of 38
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    colinng said:
    - 4x3.5” hard drive bays aren’t as important (or performant or quiet) as the chewing gum stick sized SSDs.
    So give us 4x2.5” drive bays and two M.1 bays, too.
     If you really want 10TB or spinning storage you can get that in a single Helium filled drive.
    Hmm… wouldn’t those slowly, inevitably leak? Even the helium-filled storage blocks for the US Constitution have helium leaking through the cracks (at least, they used to). What’s holding up higher capacity SSDs? Actually, no; what’s holding up cheaper SSDs? I really don’t want to upgrade my HDDs until I can get an SSD, but I also don’t want to upgrade to the same size of drive, either. I don’t need a 10TB SSD, but a sub-$300 3TB SSD would be nice. My desires are obviously an order of magnitude off of the current price, but it’s not like we’re going to get any larger HDDs anymore.
    - List 4 things you would put into a Slot that can’t be done better using Thunderbolt.
    1. Not having cables strewn all over the place
    2. Not needing cables
    3. Not compromising on something that doesn’t require compromise
    4. Oh, I guess all the internal components, too; not just the principle of the thing.
    Here’s 1: GPU.
    Yeah, like that. How about a RAID card? Or do you need those anymore; I never had one… Do they interface across TB3 now? 
    is the cheese grater tower really the best solution in 2017? 
    How about this, then?

edited January 2018
  • Reply 38 of 38
    I like that mockup, Tallest Skil, but the values for the performance and capacity are ancient.
    edited January 2018