Apple planning new Toronto store at Yonge & Bloor [u]

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2018
Apple appears to be working on a new street-level store in Toronto, Canada, based inside an 85-story condominium at the corner of Yonge and Bloor, not far from Queen's Park and the Royal Ontario Museum. [Updated with corrected stats]

The condominium, still under construction, is known as The One and being worked on Foster & Partners, a frequent Apple architectural partner, MacRumors noted. Blueprints point to a 9,000-square-foot store that may have a balcony level similar to Apple Union Square in San Francisco.

The documents were first submitted in March 2016, but only later updated to mention Apple by name. The company could still theoretically pull out of any deal -- if so it would lose prime downtown real estate, located next to other shops and potentially connected to PATH, the city's underground tunnel system.

Apple currently has four stores in Toronto: Eaton Centre, Fairview Mall, Sherway Gardens, and Yorkdale. A Yonge and Bloor location might better capture downtown traffic, especially since it would attract passers by.

Update: MacRumors has updated its story to say the condominium will be 85 stories, not 82, and that the Apple store will occupy only 9,000 square feet instead of 19,000.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    Awesome! I’ll be looking for this one once it’s made. 
  • Reply 2 of 7
    JesseWehnerJesseWehner Posts: 2unconfirmed, member
    Would this be the first Apple Store in Canada that is not in a mall!
    GRibeiro
  • Reply 3 of 7
    My friend told me about this store when the condo started construction YEARS ago. At the time, it consisted entirely of a large hole in the ground that we were looking into from the parking lot on the south side. This is apparently an open secret.
    edited January 2018
  • Reply 4 of 7
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,362member
    Would this be the first Apple Store in Canada that is not in a mall!
    The Montreal Apple Store is not in a mall.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    ipedroipedro Posts: 63member
    My friend told me about this store when the condo started construction YEARS ago. At the time, it consisted entirely of a large hole in the ground that we were looking into from the parking lot on the south side. This is apparently an open secret.

Wrong condo. This building only recently started construction and is still not a hole in the ground, just a cleared dirt lot. 

It sounds like you're referring to the building on the South East corner of Yonge and Bloor. That building indeed started construction years ago and was recently completed but it's not an Apple Store. It'll be a Nordstrom Rack. The building in question is on the South West corner and is still in the early stages of prepping the site for excavation. It'll be a couple of years before the tower construction is advanced enough to open the Apple Store in its ground floor retail space.
    edited January 2018
  • Reply 6 of 7
    haarhaar Posts: 563member
    ipedro said:

Wrong condo. This building only recently started construction and is still not a hole in the ground, just a cleared dirt lot. 

It sounds like you're referring to the building on the South East corner of Yonge and Bloor. That building indeed started construction years ago and was recently completed but it's not an Apple Store. It'll be a Nordstrom Rack. The building in question is on the South West corner and is still in the early stages of prepping the site for excavation. It'll be a couple of years before the tower construction is advanced enough to open the Apple Store in its ground floor retail space.
    that is where it is?  use to be the location of a eye glasses store and harvey’s)... have not been downtown in over a year... but if that is where the apple store is going to be, it is a excellent location because when you exit the subway, and go street level, the “first” thing you will see is the apple store... (while people can argue, IMO it is the “center” of toronto...but not at the level of  NYC time square. in Toronto (IMO) , that would be, perhaps, city hall concourse area outside)