T2 chip in iMac Pro & 2018 MacBook Pro controls boot, security functions previously manage...

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 38
    revenantrevenant Posts: 621member
    wonder if this will come to the whole mac lineup
  • Reply 22 of 38
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    mike54 said:
    What is the end-game of having the T2 chip in there? I mean, what is Apple ultimately aiming for with future custom chips?
    Unless you want some all encompassing answer, like, "to make their devices better," there's no specific answer since all their chips do different things.

Their A-series SoC are clearly running their iOS-based devices. Then they have their S-series SiPs for Watch. Then there's the T-series for security and encryption in the MacBook Pro and iMac Pro. We also have the W-series for AirPods and Watch.

It's not just chips, but various other parts of the chip design, like how Apple has cut ties with Img Tech so they could use their own design, which seems to geared toward Ai, ML, AR, and/or VR. You surely understand what they're aiming at with those features, right?

I'm sure there are custom designs coming. There's too much benefit for Apple for there not to be.
    mike54GG1libertyforallAlex1N
  • Reply 23 of 38
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    VRing said:
    macxpress said:
    VRing said:
    macxpress said:
    Hey @VRing, does that supposed magical and revolutionary custom build of yours that is SO much better than an iMac Pro do this? Didn't think so and never will! 
    I know you're just flaming, but TPM chips have been in the vast majority of Windows computers and motherboards for enterprise use for years. As well, a number of these types of computers have a self-healing BIOS to restore a corrupt or potentially attacked BIOS.
    Too bad thats not the same thing as the T2 chip...try again!
    It's not meant to be the same, but provide a secure hardware solution for systems for over a decade now. 
    So your build doesn't do this then. Thought so. I guess custom builds aren't so great after all....
  • Reply 24 of 38
    VRingVRing Posts: 108member
    macxpress said:
    VRing said:
    macxpress said:
    VRing said:
    macxpress said:
    Hey @VRing, does that supposed magical and revolutionary custom build of yours that is SO much better than an iMac Pro do this? Didn't think so and never will! 
    I know you're just flaming, but TPM chips have been in the vast majority of Windows computers and motherboards for enterprise use for years. As well, a number of these types of computers have a self-healing BIOS to restore a corrupt or potentially attacked BIOS.
    It's not meant to be the same, but provide a secure hardware solution for systems for over a decade now. 
    So your build doesn't do this then. Thought so. I guess custom builds aren't so great after all....
    Different approach to a similar problem, especially when dealing with hardware level encryption on an NVMe drive.

You have little to no interest in the actual topic, this is nothing more than a personal attack as you simply reply with inflammatory posts.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 25 of 38
    VRing said:
    macxpress said:
    VRing said:
    macxpress said:
    VRing said:
    macxpress said:
    Different approach to a similar problem, especially when dealing with hardware level encryption on an NVMe drive.

You have little to no interest in the actual topic, this is nothing more than a personal attack as you simply reply with inflammatory posts.
    If you can't take the heat, stay out of the kitchen. You're the one who came in spouting off about how great this custom build is. The bottom line is that its not the same, you even admitted it. 
  • Reply 26 of 38
    macxpress said:
    VRing said:
    macxpress said:
    VRing said:
    macxpress said:
    VRing said:
    macxpress said:

If you can't take the heat, stay out of the kitchen. You're the one who came in spouting off about how great this custom build is. The bottom line is that its not the same, you even admitted it. 
    Your post is yet another example of inflammatory posting.

There are other alternative methods than using the T2 for a secure encryption solution. This just happens to be the method that the iMac Pro uses.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 27 of 38
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,316member
    mike54 said:
    What is the end-game of having the T2 chip in there? I mean, what is Apple ultimately aiming for with future custom chips?
    Apple's aim with these exercises seems to be to streamline. Since the Apple ][ they have done custom where it lets them reduce complexity and get bonus function to boot.

I'd still suggest the end game for the T2 is to get rid of Intel Platform Hub so that the only difference between a mac and iDevice internally is the Macs ship with 3rd Party CPU/GPU(s) and the odd high speed port not warranted on a iDevice.
  • Reply 28 of 38
    VRing said:
    macxpress said:
    VRing said:
    macxpress said:
    VRing said:
    macxpress said:
    VRing said:
    macxpress said:

There are other alternative methods than using the T2 for a secure encryption solution. This just happens to be the method that the iMac Pro uses.
    But its not the same thing...you even admitted to it. Just admit, your wonderful build sucks and is not practical in the places iMac Pro is. 
    edited January 2018
  • Reply 29 of 38
    macxpress said:
    VRing said:
    macxpress said:
    VRing said:
    macxpress said:
    VRing said:
    macxpress said:
    VRing said:
    macxpress said:

But its not the same thing...you even admitted to it. Just admit, your wonderful build sucks and is not practical in the places iMac Pro is. 
    I said a TPM and the T2 are not the same thing, yet the controllers and hardware the T2 replaces do exist and will do the same thing. Don't try and put words in my mouth or spin this into something it's so clearly not.

Again, you continue with inflammatory posts, clearly you have no intention of having an actual discussion, so we're done here.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 30 of 38
    DuhSesameDuhSesame Posts: 1,278member
    revenant said:
    Why not 
  • Reply 31 of 38
    DuhSesameDuhSesame Posts: 1,278member
    VRing said:
    macxpress said:
    VRing said:
    macxpress said:
    VRing said:
    macxpress said:
    VRing said:
    macxpress said:
    VRing said:
    macxpress said:

I said a TPM and the T2 are not the same thing, yet the controllers and hardware the T2 replaces do exist and will do the same thing. Don't try and put words in my mouth or spin this into something it's so clearly not.

Again, you continue with inflammatory posts, clearly you have no intention of having an actual discussion, so we're done here.
    Why the heck he flames you?
  • Reply 32 of 38
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    Aw, VRing got banned. So said. Now who’s going to tell us how much better they like PCs over Macs? Eek. 
  • Reply 33 of 38
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    revenant said:
    I'm guessing yes, eventually. Probably before the mythical Apple Processor Mac comes to market. There are so many opportunities afforded by using the T2 (or 3 or 4) for boot management, hardware encryption, security, etc it makes sense to include it even in the low end stuff like the Mini or the MacBook (nothing). It's likely to happen at the next refresh for everything.
  • Reply 34 of 38
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Brilliant move by Apple. Disable all that crap we now know is nothing but a backdoor and use the T2 instead.
    libertyforalltmay
  • Reply 35 of 38
    libertyforalllibertyforall Posts: 1,418member
    By this time, I should be able to run iOS apps on Macs, but STILL cannot.  
  • Reply 36 of 38
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Can't even boot MBP if T2 fails, My biggest complain is why Apple not offer function keys 13",15" MBP ? Costs less, long term slightly better reliability(OLED touch strip costs lot to replace), As such MBP costs way higher than similar spec windows laptop
  • Reply 37 of 38
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    wood1208 said:
    Can't even boot MBP if T2 fails, My biggest complain is why Apple not offer function keys 13",15" MBP ? Costs less, long term slightly better reliability(OLED touch strip costs lot to replace), As such MBP costs way higher than similar spec windows laptop
    The numbers don't bear out your reliability concerns, but it is an expensive repair. More in a bit about that.