Limited Apple Watch controls for select Whirlpool appliances coming in 2018

Posted:
in Apple Watch
Whirlpool will add Apple Watch support to its app in 2018, allowing users of the wearable to control more than 20 compatible appliances when the technology is fully deployed.

Announced at the Las Vegas 2018 Consumer Electronics Show, users with compatible appliances will be able to check or change oven temperature during a cook cycle, change the type of wash cycle while a clothes washer is in use, or see if a cycle has started or how much time remains on a a cycle. It doesn't appear at this time that the appliance can be turned on remotely by the Apple Watch, though.

Appliances listed as compatible with the technology include the Smart Cabrio washer and dryer, the Smart Front Load washer and dryer. At present, it isn't clear which ovens will work with the technology.

The Whirlpool app for the iPhone already exists. Apple Watch compatibility will arrive "later this year" according to Cnet.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    There’s an app no one needs...

I can see people wanting to control the temp in their homes, scheduling the grass watering (or turning it off remotely if it’s raining), controlling the oven, etc.  but no one cares managing the dryer/washer remotely.

• Reply 2 of 25

I can see people wanting to control the temp in their homes, scheduling the grass watering (or turning it off remotely if it’s raining), controlling the oven, etc.  but no one cares managing the dryer/washer remotely.

I was going to say the same thing, but...  Why wouldn't you want to be able to glance at your watch to see how much time is left before the clothes are ready?  It's not a major feature, but I can see how it could come in handy from time to time.  
    StrangeDaysihatescreennameshodargregoriusmwatto_cobralolliver
  • Reply 3 of 25
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,284member

I was going to say the same thing, but...  Why wouldn't you want to be able to glance at your watch to see how much time is left before the clothes are ready?  It's not a major feature, but I can see how it could come in handy from time to time.  
    True. Especially if the washer and dryer are on a different floor of the house or in a basement.
    StrangeDaysgregoriusmwatto_cobralolliver
  • Reply 4 of 25
    zroger73zroger73 Posts: 787member
    Based on all the trouble I've had out of my Whirlpool and Whirlpool Gold appliances I bought for my new home 5 years ago, the only benefit I'd receive is if this feature would automatically schedule a repair so that I wouldn't have to do it myself.

Based on my purchase of a new Whirlpool refrigerator, dishwasher, range, microwave, and washer, and dryer, I'll NEVER buy Whirlpool again. Ironically, the microwave received the lowest ratings (1 star!!!) and is the ONLY one of those six products that hasn't failed...yet. The washer and dryer have been the most problematic and they were the highest rated models by Consumer Reports at the time! The dishwasher's plastic handle is poorly design and breaks in half every couple of years and the circulation pump has failed. The display on the dryer failed right after the one year warranty expired and parts were no longer available. The refrigerator doesn't like to dispense water, but happily dispenses ice all over the floor.
    hodargregoriusm
  • Reply 5 of 25
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member

My Water Heater I installed a couple years ago has Wifi. I have to use the App. But I've found that it's almost worthless. The couple times I wanted to use it for something, I had connection issue with it, or nothing, wondering why I had only warm water. Well the Power was cut off so the Wifi on it didn't even work, let alone warn me. Besides I walk right past it every day, I can plainly see it. Sometimes this so called Smart stuff is just pointless. I'm a growing Homekit house. So some things make sense to smarted up, and other things, no, stick to cheap!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 25
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,362member
    I think there are some compelling reasons to incorporate connectivity into household appliances and machinery, especially for read-only diagnostics, status, and appliance health purposes. e.g., "dryer overload fusible link is blown" (an actual use case). I am somewhat wary of providing write/modify capability because it opens up a vector for hacking and mistaken or unintentional user actions. But more than anything else I'd prefer that all manufacturers follow a common protocol for home device/appliance connectivity within the IoT space that crosses manufacturer boundaries. I don't want a different app, user experience, and data format for every different brand appliance. I also don't want a manufacturer specific connectivity/automation solution that becomes obsolete before the appliance itself becomes obsolete. Putting a giant tablet in a refrigerator door is interesting but who around here would want to be using a 10-year old tablet today, assuming the refrigerator lasts at least 10 years? Perhaps an industry standard "VESA modular refrigerator door bay" needs to be considered. One downside of all this fancification of appliances is very apparent when you walk into an appliance showroom these days. I've spent less on brand new cars than what some of these new refrigerators cost today. 
  • Reply 7 of 25
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    mike1 said:

True. Especially if the washer and dryer are on a different floor of the house or in a basement.
    No! We must carry on as if our use cases represent all possible use cases for all people! There can be no variance! /s
    watto_cobralollivermacgui
  • Reply 8 of 25

zroger73 said:
    Based on all the trouble I've had out of my Whirlpool and Whirlpool Gold appliances I bought for my new home 5 years ago, the only benefit I'd receive is if this feature would automatically schedule a repair so that I wouldn't have to do it myself.

Based on my purchase of a new Whirlpool refrigerator, dishwasher, range, microwave, and washer, and dryer, I'll NEVER buy Whirlpool again. Ironically, the microwave received the lowest ratings (1 star!!!) and is the ONLY one of those six products that hasn't failed...yet. The washer and dryer have been the most problematic and they were the highest rated models by Consumer Reports at the time! The dishwasher's plastic handle is poorly design and breaks in half every couple of years and the circulation pump has failed. The display on the dryer failed right after the one year warranty expired and parts were no longer available. The refrigerator doesn't like to dispense water, but happily dispenses ice all over the floor.
    Here's the thing -- they all suck. I've had Frigidaire, LG, and others, they all fail. 
    zroger73boltsfan17watto_cobralolliver
  • Reply 9 of 25

jbdragon said:

My Water Heater I installed a couple years ago has Wifi. I have to use the App. But I've found that it's almost worthless. The couple times I wanted to use it for something, I had connection issue with it, or nothing, wondering why I had only warm water. Well the Power was cut off so the Wifi on it didn't even work, let alone warn me. Besides I walk right past it every day, I can plainly see it. Sometimes this so called Smart stuff is just pointless. I'm a growing Homekit house. So some things make sense to smarted up, and other things, no, stick to cheap!
    Yes but my water heater is outdoors. We simply cannot rate the usefulness or value add of this stuff based on whether we don't need it, personally. 
    edited January 2018 lollivermacgui
  • Reply 10 of 25
    fracfrac Posts: 480member
    How can you change the washing cycle once the soap/detergent has gone in?...redundant. 
    Not sure if Whirlpool even do a decent oven with say in built temperature probe with steam cycle control like our Bosch, which are really useful and worth being able to monitor remotely. 
  • Reply 11 of 25
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,358member
    I like the concept of getting information from appliances. I doubt we'll see 'fusible link blown' or something of that level of diagnostic detail at the consumer level.

Knowing what point your laundry is at in the wash/rinse/dry cycle could be handy as stated, especially in homes that have family members responsible for doing their own. 

Control is another matter. I'm not sure I want to be able to control many appliances. At the moment I have Hue lights and a hot water dispenser that can be controlled by phone, Watch, and Alexa. But given the possibility of devices being hijacked, I'm slightly paranoid, to the point of putting them on their own router along with the Dots, and not using them with my phone.

So many of these devices use no encryption, and I have no idea what level of security is provided by HomeKit.

Another speed bump is the general reliability, or lack of it, that I've had with Siri, Alexa, and Hue. Now that's just me, and apparently thousands of others have not had any problems with the aforementioned. However— that doesn't help me.
  • Reply 12 of 25
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    zroger73 said:

Well, good for you but meaningless in the grand scheme. You got it off your chest but nobody else cares. Everybody has their favorite evil corporate entity. Mine is Firestone tires. So what?
  • Reply 13 of 25
    Easy SeanIsMorris and Frac.  There are use-cases:

We go up the stairs to see if the washer is done.  Sometimes yes, sometimes no.  Checking the phone or watch could be handy.
    Caveat:  Of course, a little more stairs is probably better for the health anyway!  :smile:

Modes:  Every now and then the bath-towels need a bit extra.  So they get a hot-water, with vinegar, soak, then a pre-wash.  Changing those modes would save one of the trips up and down.  Soak for an hour or so, then use the phone/watch to switch to pre-wash.

StrangeDaysgregoriusm
  • Reply 14 of 25
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Easy SeanIsMorris and Frac.  There are use-cases:

We go up the stairs to see if the washer is done.  Sometimes yes, sometimes no.  Checking the phone or watch could be handy.
    Caveat:  Of course, a little more stairs is probably better for the health anyway!  :smile:

Modes:  Every now and then the bath-towels need a bit extra.  So they get a hot-water, with vinegar, soak, then a pre-wash.  Changing those modes would save one of the trips up and down.  Soak for an hour or so, then use the phone/watch to switch to pre-wash.

I just don't see a Wall-E future as being particularly good for humanity. Heck if we'd all just do a bit more manual labor we wouldn't need gym memberships. Nothing wrong with mowing our own lawns, digging a few holes for the fence posts, or walking up or down a flight of stairs. To me it's silly to hire someone to clean house or dig holes for the new landscaping but pay for a personal trainer to get in shape because you aren't active enough :0

I believe "convenience" is slowly morphing into an excuse for being lazy, which leads to out-of-shape and overweight. And yeah someone will surely jump in with a silly comparable to cars replacing horses. It is NOT comparable. There's a limit to how much effort we can avoid before it negatively impacts our health, an intersection where many of us have arrived. 

Now if you are just too frail or sick to do some of these activities fair enough, though I personally know dozens of 80+ folks who still walk, run, dance, mow their own lawns etc to avoid frailty. Much of it we do to ourselves. 
    edited January 2018 frac
  • Reply 15 of 25
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    zroger73 said:

The problem with Consumer Reports is that when reporting on the quality of new models, they don't yet have a repair history and there have been times when they've rated a car (or something else) highly and then seen it later fail miserably.

I suppose if one lives in a huge house, some of these appliance apps might be useful.  Living in a co-op apartment, I find none of them useful and also not worth the security risk or the risk of these companies using my data to their gain.   How lazy have we gotten?  We're becoming like the fat character in WALL-E.   My range already has timers and a temperature probe to automatically turn on or shut off at a given time or temperature.  You set the controls on a washing machine/dryer/dishwasher when you put the clothes/dishes in the appliance, so I don't see how any kind of remote operation helps anyone.   All this is just jumping on a silly bandwagon, IMO.   Are appliances next going to have their own social media posts?

As for the quality of appliances, they all suck.  Ever since we lost most American manufacturing combined with the consolidation of the appliance manufacturers, quality has declined immensely.   The following may have changed over time, but as of some years ago, Whirlpool also made Kitchen Aid and had absorbed Admiral, Amana, Jenn-Air, Magic Chef and Maytag.   They also made Ikea appliances, some Kenmore and a side-by-side refrigerator for Thermador.  Frigidaire and Electrolux are now one company and they also produce some cooking appliances for Bosch.  

At the time, you could tell who manufactured Kenmore appliances by some of the digits in the serial #:
    119 Athens, Royal Chef (Frigidaire), Roper
    126 Absocold
    253 Gibson (Frigidaire)
    336 Electrolux (now Frigidaire)
    363 GE
    596 Amana (now Whirlpool)
    612 Acme
    622, 628 Kelvinator (Frigidaire)
    629 Jenn Air (now Whirlpool)
    790, 970 Frigidaire
    795 LG Electronics
    835 Roper
    925 Maycor (Maytag) (now Whirlpool)

About a year+ ago, I bought a Samsung range.  From a feature standpoint, it's pretty good.  But the fit and finish is poor, the knobs are weighted plastic to make you think they're metal, the temperature probe cooking is inaccurate, the clean function doesn't remove grit from the door and the installers couldn't really get it level.   No other problems though.  I've read about lots of other ranges with electronic controls that fail and once out of warranty, fixing the failure costs $500 a pop.   
  • Reply 16 of 25
    gatorguy said:
    There are use-cases:
    I just don't see a Wall-E future as being particularly good for humanity.

Heck if we'd all just do a bit more manual labor we wouldn't need gym memberships....
    I do agree with you on this. 

It's a tough balancing act on what to pay for (to get the time back) and what to do yourself (for the benefits).

Definitely a balancing act, esp with a family.
  • Reply 17 of 25
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member

zroger73 said:

Here's the thing -- they all suck. I've had Frigidaire, LG, and others, they all fail. 
    So true. My LG washer has been a complete nightmare. I constantly get unbalanced load errors. There are times when it has taken like 4 plus hours to wash a load because the spin cycle starts over again when you get an unbalanced load error. 
  • Reply 18 of 25
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    gatorguy said:
    Heck if we'd all just do a bit more manual labor we wouldn't need gym memberships. Nothing wrong with mowing our own lawns, digging a few holes for the fence posts, or walking up or down a flight of stairs. To me it's silly to hire someone to clean house or dig holes for the new landscaping but pay for a personal trainer to get in shape because you aren't active enough.

Manual labor isn't particularly good for you. Mowing the yard or digging post holes is stressful, especially on the lower back. Yoga, stretching, walking, and even lifting weights (if done correctly) are low impact and condition all of your muscles, and to some degree, your mind. One of the biggest factors for staying healthy and fit though, is your diet and sleep habits. 
    gregoriusm
  • Reply 19 of 25
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    volcan said:
    gatorguy said:
    Heck if we'd all just do a bit more manual labor we wouldn't need gym memberships. Nothing wrong with mowing our own lawns, digging a few holes for the fence posts, or walking up or down a flight of stairs. To me it's silly to hire someone to clean house or dig holes for the new landscaping but pay for a personal trainer to get in shape because you aren't active enough.

Manual labor isn't particularly good for you. Mowing the yard or digging post holes is stressful, especially on the lower back. Yoga, stretching, walking, and even lifting weights (if done correctly) are low impact and condition all of your muscles, and to some degree, your mind. One of the biggest factors for staying healthy and fit though, is your diet and sleep habits. 
    I would disagree that manual labor is bad for you, despite there being some particular chores that might stress your back if not done properly. Avoid those if you believe the benefits to your body are outweighed by probable harm. That's not the same as advocating for the avoidance of manual labor in the form of yard work, stair-climbing, house cleaning and other calorie-burning muscle-using traditional chores that exercise your body.

...and like yoga the benefits of manual labor can go well beyond the physical exertion put into it. But that's me, YMMV.

EDIT: Two articles for thought
    https://www.thealternativedaily.com/4-benefits-of-manual-labor/
    http://physicalliving.com/gym-training-doesnt-compare-to-the-real-world-lessons-from-10-years-of-manual-labor-and-5-tips-for-breaking-free-of-the-gym-environment/
    edited January 2018
  • Reply 20 of 25
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    boltsfan17 said:

So true. My LG washer has been a complete nightmare. I constantly get unbalanced load errors. There are times when it has taken like 4 plus hours to wash a load because the spin cycle starts over again when you get an unbalanced load error. 
    We've had a Whirlpool washer and dryer set for ten+ years - not one problem and we do at least one load of clothes almost every day. They are just the plain old style that have been around for decades. I never get any errors because I don't think they even have computers in them. With an old fashion top loading model you can carefully distribute the clothes so they are never out of balance, but if you have a fancy front loading model you don't have any control over that.

The only thing that I might find helpful about an app is if it was capable of remote starting of a load that was waiting. Here in California you are supposed to wait until after 6:00 pm to use washing and drying machines. Sometimes we go out in the evenings and it could be handy to be able to start the washer or dryer while out.  I suppose I could just set up a wall plug type timer. I'm not buying any fancy new appliances until the ones I have now are unrepairable. Sometimes simpler is better. When we remodeled the kitchen we bought the GE Café line and it is expensive junk. All four appliances needed to be repaired in the first couple months, the microwave several times.
    edited January 2018