Moen wants you to take a shower with Siri and Alexa

Posted:
in General Discussion edited February 2020
Plumbing hardware giant Moen is building out its U by Moen smart shower system with the latest virtual assistant technology from Apple and Amazon, allowing users to turn on fixtures, adjust temperature settings and more with their voice.

U by Moen saw release last year as a digitally controlled smart shower and valve system that lets users preheat shower water, adjust temperature settings for up to four outlets, set timers and remotely start or stop water flow via a touchpad or connected app.

Announced at CES on Sunday, the latest iteration of the U system integrates voice control through Apple's Siri and Amazon's Alexa virtual assistants. Alexa compatibility arrives in the first quarter as a third-party extension, while Siri and HomeKit will see integration in quarter two.

Moen showed off U in a demonstration, explaining that users simply ask the assistant of their choosing (Alexa on the show floor) to turn on the shower head or set a desired temperature. Water begins to flow from the outlet until a desired temperature is reached, then the system pauses, waiting for a user to enter.

Other commands include macro presets that can be customized in the U by Moen app. For example, a multi-fixture spa setup might include different temperatures for separate water outlets like a shower head, hand wand or side sprays.

Pricing varies, but a basic controller and valve system comes in at $1,160 with included shower head and wand, while a four outlet spa style arrangement goes for $2,200.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    lolliverlolliver Posts: 494member
    I doubt I could justify a purchase like that for my own house. It would be cool if one of the hotels I stay at when traveling for work incorporated it. Would be a fun thing to try out but not sure it would be something I could justify purchasing.
    randominternetperson
  • Reply 2 of 19
    sergiozsergioz Posts: 338member
    Hey Siri flush my poop 
    that will be $2000 
    edited January 2018 zroger73jbdragon
  • Reply 3 of 19
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,710member
    Meh. That's a lot of money for something so simple. 

Kind of ridiculous actually. A lot of money for something that is based on other companies tech. 

And that hat controller looks like a 1990s car stereo?
    edited January 2018 williamlondongatorguy
  • Reply 4 of 19
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    sergioz said:
    Hey Siri flush my poop 
    that will be $2000 
    “There are many things I will do for you, but I am not going to brush your flute.”
    bestkeptsecret
  • Reply 5 of 19
    tex210tex210 Posts: 15member
    Try to put yourself in someone else’s shoes. Maybe the elderly or some of the disabled be able to utilize this?
    lolliverGG1StrangeDays
  • Reply 6 of 19
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,302member
    I'd like to take a shower with Alexa.
    Oh, you mean Amazon's Alexa.
    Darn.😉
    GeorgeBMacGG1zroger73
  • Reply 7 of 19
    bonobobbonobob Posts: 382member
    This is exactly what I've always needed--a way to operate my shower when nobody is home.
    king editor the graterandominternetperson
  • Reply 8 of 19
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    lolliver said:
    I doubt I could justify a purchase like that for my own house. It would be cool if one of the hotels I stay at when traveling for work incorporated it. Would be a fun thing to try out but not sure it would be something I could justify purchasing.
    Hotel showers are where I want the water to run longer before I set foot in the bathroom. Legionaries' can be a bitch.

GG1
  • Reply 9 of 19
    And that hat controller looks like a 1990s car stereo?
    1) It needs to be waterproof and can't use a capacitance display. 

2) I think having controls to preheat for a given's user's desired temp would be nice. No more fiddling with the knobs and waiting for the water to heat up so can fiddle with them again. Just set a specific temp and let the system bring to that temp. My only issue is that it doesn't have a detour value where it can keep cycling in water that is too hot or too cold so that no water is wasted, which can be a real problem for many where water is in short supply most years.
  • Reply 10 of 19
    Just curious how they handle voice recognition through the white noise of a running shower. Try using Siri (or any voice recognition) while a shower is running.
  • Reply 11 of 19
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Next up:   An Alexa/Siri controlled sex doll whispering sweet nothings in your ear...
    .....  "We could have Whole Foods deliver a nice bottle of wine and some candles..."
    randominternetperson
  • Reply 12 of 19
    profprof Posts: 84member
    Soli said:
    lolliver said:
    Hotel showers are where I want the water to run longer before I set foot in the bathroom. Legionaries' can be a bitch.

Not sure I catch your drift here. Anyway, that's mostly a problem in places where the water in the pipes turns stale, i.e. your home during vacation. A somewhat frequented hotel will have even less of a problem then your home while you're at work due to a lot more circulation in the building (and room service using the water in your room while you're away).
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 13 of 19

Threesome with Siri and Alexia?
    StrangeDaysking editor the grate
  • Reply 14 of 19
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    People are mocking this on MR, but in the tech utopia of Star Trek i’d expect to be able to ask the computer for a specific temperature shower, so why not now?
    Soli
  • Reply 15 of 19
    Just curious how they handle voice recognition through the white noise of a running shower. Try using Siri (or any voice recognition) while a shower is running.
    This is because no current Apple device has far-field microphones that are good as isolating sounds. I have an Echo Dot in the bathroom with wired speakers specifically for use in the bathroom. Before I had it I just use the Echo from the other room. I had to speak up to get through and around the door but it still worked better than Siri ever has with its current HW.

prof said:
    Soli said:
    lolliver said:

Not sure I catch your drift here. Anyway, that's mostly a problem in places where the water in the pipes turns stale, i.e. your home during vacation. A somewhat frequented hotel will have even less of a problem then your home while you're at work due to a lot more circulation in the building (and room service using the water in your room while you're away).
    But I don't know what a shower was last used in a hotel, hence letting the water run.

Here are two cases in just the last few months.

One could say it's wasteful or the risk is extremely low, but if you have pulmonary issues or already take inhaled steroids one may want consider abating this potential threat.
  • Reply 16 of 19
    I can see the lawsuits now.  You mean you didn’t specify a shower temperature of 200 degrees?
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 17 of 19
    zroger73zroger73 Posts: 787member
    I have an Echo Dot in the bathroom that hears me over the shower spray every day. Siri doesn't work at all under this condition. As much as I love Apple, Amazon has them beat so far in this area.
  • Reply 18 of 19
    zroger73 said:
    I have an Echo Dot in the bathroom that hears me over the shower spray every day. Siri doesn't work at all under this condition. As much as I love Apple, Amazon has them beat so far in this area.
    But this has to do with the HW in an iDevice, not Siri, per say. This should be the easiest thing for Apple to resolve with Siri. However, it doesn't seem like Apple will have any less expensive HomePods for other rooms, like the bathroom, for a very long time, so Echos it is.
    edited January 2018
  • Reply 19 of 19
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    When I read the headline I thought it was something to do with Erika Moen, the cartoonist and sex educator. Now I'm disappointed it's just about plumbing.