Amazon Alexa making appearance in $1000 Vuzix augmented reality smart glasses

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    mavemufc said:

mavemufc said:
    I know you guys don’t think it’ll happen but I think it’s just a matter of time till Apple gets some glasses out there.
    If the 'HomePod' debacle is anything to go by, they will be late, underpowered and stupidly overpriced.
    Oh, and have the battery life akin to the lifespan of a mayfly.

but How do you know the HomePod is underpowered and overpriced when its not released yet?
    🤔
  • Reply 22 of 27
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Rayz2016 said:
    How is all this going to work for people who wear prescription specs?
    Yeah, designed for people who live in the land where everyone has 20/20 vision and perfect teeth, straight noses and flawless skin.
    aka Southern California.

You’d be surprised by how many unattractive people live out here.
  • Reply 23 of 27
    mavemufc said:

mavemufc said:
    I know you guys don’t think it’ll happen but I think it’s just a matter of time till Apple gets some glasses out there.
    If the 'HomePod' debacle is anything to go by, they will be late, underpowered and stupidly overpriced.

but How do you know the HomePod is underpowered and overpriced when its not released yet?
    I was being a tad sarcastic with the underpowered. As for overpriced... Well, people will compare it to the Amazon and Google devices and at the moment some of them are almost being given away. Given Apple's pricing history, it won't be cheap and compared to the competition it probably will be overpriced.
    It remains to be seen if it can carve out a niche when it is up against both Amazon and Google.

• Reply 24 of 27
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,335member
    This technology has enormous potential in industry, law enforcement, military applications, customer service, maintenance services, etc. However, one of the first hurdles that must be overcome with Amazon's Alexa is the lack of individual voice recognition. The fact that I had to change the trigger word on my Echo Dot to something other than "Alexa" due to false triggers from nearby television commercials limits the scope of applications and environments in which this technology can be successfully deployed. No doubt that these specific limitations will be overcome soon and voice based interaction will become an integral piece of all augmented reality (AR) solutions. In general, Alexa adds just one more intelligent sensory input into the larger "sensor data fusion" formula that is crucial to providing truly useful AR solutions. I would add to this audio/acoustic processing not just support for human voice commands but for recognizing other sound sources that are important for specific domains. For example, an acoustic sensor array in the headset/glasses that can detect the relative direction/bearing and elevation angle of gunshots would be pretty useful for law enforcement and military use. The technology used in music/song recognition (Shazam) could be used to identify specific mechanized threats like tanks, helicopters, and APVs.

I doubt that Amazon or even Apple has or wants any skin in the game of providing complete/turnkey AR solutions on its own. It's important to me that AR-enabling features like Amazon's Alexa continue to be made available as add-on extensions and APIs that can be used as components for building larger and more advanced AR solutions. At the same time this is probably an area where Apple is purposely going to limit the scope of their engagement to provide first-class but more narrowly focused AR support in their products for the specific applications and markets they serve. This is all fine and good and helps preserves opportunities for both Apple and Amazon to play and coexist peacefully and profitably in the many growing AR markets.  

Like many modern computer leading edge features the technical basis for the current products like these glasses were devised decades ago but are only coming to fruition through advances in material science, fabrication, miniaturization, and of course greater software capabilities in increasingly smaller computing devices. For example: http://www.cif.org/nominations/nom_85.html is a 20 years old precursor to these glasses (and Google's versions as well).

• Reply 25 of 27
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    mavemufc said:

mavemufc said:

I was being a tad sarcastic with the underpowered. As for overpriced... Well, people will compare it to the Amazon and Google devices and at the moment some of them are almost being given away. Given Apple's pricing history, it won't be cheap and compared to the competition it probably will be overpriced.
    It remains to be seen if it can carve out a niche when it is up against both Amazon and Google.

And so what if the HomePod carves out only a small niche in its market. The Mac did. The iPod, iPad, and iPhone became more than a niche. All were are and were more expensive than competitors. Meanwhile we get reports of cheap smartphone makers selling millions upon millions of phones but not making any money in the process. None of Apple’s products have ever been the top sellers in any market they enter. There will always be cheaper, good enough products that will sell.

Get over the fact that people will compare the HomePod to a $30 Echo Dot BOGO deal. Get used to the fact that there are plenty of people with money who don’t mind paying for something better, better designed, etc. I’m tired of hearing the class warfare  slant on everything, that people of means don’t know any better and spend money because they can.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 27
    They still look like the Active 3D glasses that need batteries. Could use some miniaturisation. And we know how is the king of miniaturisation!!
  • Reply 27 of 27
    Rayz2016 said:
    How is all this going to work for people who wear prescription specs?
    Yeah, designed for people who live in the land where everyone has 20/20 vision and perfect teeth, straight noses and flawless skin.
    aka Southern California.

If that was the case, their public sector pension plans would not be offering 100% medical coverage. After all, ideal people do not get ill.