Apple could bring glass back to 'iPhone SE 2,' rumor says

Posted:
in iPhone edited December 2019
The next-generation iPhone SE may feature the same style of glass back as the iPhone X, according to one rumor, possibly signaling the addition of wireless charging to the device.

If true, the so-called 'iPhone SE 2' could end up with a physical design reminiscent of the glass sandwich iPhone 4 series. Those handsets, with an outer steel band that also formed part of the antenna system, remain among Apple's most popular designs.

The return of the glass back - word of which Tekz24 attributes to "a very reliable source" - might also indicate that Apple plans to bring the new device closer in appearance to the flagship iPhone X. That may be a step toward unifying the iPhone lineup's design language going forward.

The current iPhone SE is modeled on the iPhone 5S, which launched in 2013.

Apple is rumored to be planning to launch the iPhone SE 2 in the first half of this year. The refresh could also give Apple a chance to test production in India, continuing the diversification of its manufacturing footprint.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 38
    I hope they keep the small form factor. My 5S is getting a bit long in the tooth. I've been holding off getting an SE since it's also starting to get old.
    bonobobcoolfactorentropysairnerdcornchipcgWerks
  • Reply 2 of 38
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    I hope they keep the small form factor. My 5S is getting a bit long in the tooth. I've been holding off getting an SE since it's also starting to get old.
    I really like the small SE. Even though I bought the X, I think it's way too large and am keeping the SE when going out to dinner. You know, not going to need the phone, just want to be reachable.

Would love to get what Apple will never make: put the camera of the X in the SE. I can do without 3D Touch, Face ID and all that.
    Eric_WVGGbaconstangcornchip
  • Reply 3 of 38
    I could see it, if it's closer to the X styling with the current SE footprint. I currently have the rose gold SE and it is my favorite iPhone I've owned. The 4 and 4s were a little on the heavy side.

The main reason I would upgrade is the wireless charging so I can get the PowerMat to charge my AirPods and AppleWatch! :)

Best.
    edited January 2018 patchythepiratebaconstangGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 4 of 38
    It would be cool tbh, not a fan of the SE but a family member has it and it’s a decent enough device.
    airnerd
  • Reply 5 of 38
    Happy X user but would love to see a smaller phone. 
  • Reply 6 of 38
    LatkoLatko Posts: 398member
    I hope someone can do me a favor and ask Apple (as I seem unable to communicate) that the protruding camera should be either LEVELED, REMOVED, ERADICATED, CURATED or ANNIHILATED.
    Same for the glass backside.
    Use Aramid, Carbon fiber or any just as durable material that $200billion can buy.
    And yes, if that turns out to be synthered play-dough: just market it as Ivy-tallic and apply it. 
    The world may love you again...
    edited January 2018 baconstangairnerd
  • Reply 7 of 38
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Latko said:
    I hope someone can do me a favor and ask Apple (as I seem unable to communicate) that the protruding camera should be either LEVELED, REMOVED, ERADICATED, CURATED or ANNIHILATED.
    Use Aramid, Carbon fiber or any just as durable material that $200billion can buy.
    And yes, if that turns out to be synthered play-dough: just market it as Ivy-tallic and apply it. 
    The world still love Apple more than any manufacturer. The proof is iPhone outsold every other phone on the market no matter what. BTW, all flagship phones on the market have protrude cameras and why Apple is the only one who got bashed for that troll?
    edited January 2018 watto_cobrabrucemc
  • Reply 8 of 38
    I hope so my six is getting old but I'm waiting 
    airnerd
  • Reply 9 of 38
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,879member
    Latko said:
    Do you want a crappier camera? I don't. That and a lack of OCD mean the camera bump is not very bothersome, well worth the trade-off for better pictures which last a lifetime.
    edited January 2018 fastasleepmike1RonnnieOwatto_cobrabrucemc
  • Reply 10 of 38
    If true, this is terrific news. Such a thing would amount to a complete chassis redesign, which Apple never does unless they plan to sell a device for several years. A new SE design would ensure pocket-sized phones for a long time to come.
    watto_cobracornchip
  • Reply 11 of 38
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,420member
    Latko said:
    If you have an optics solution that mitigates the need for the additional depth for the camera lens assembly that Apple hasn't been able to to figure out, by all means create a startup and try to get acquired by Apple.
    mike1watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 38
    That be cool. Just got my kid for her birthday a SE and I have to say for $159 on prepaid as a trial it was very reminiscent of the old days. 
    baconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 38
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,322member
    As with other an iPhone X- with square steel band would be a dream.

Still not sure I understand point of having glass back when it basically requires a case on the device to then protect the back and also have to use up valuable space in the device to strengthen the frame.
    baconstang
  • Reply 14 of 38
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,420member
    mattinoz said:

Still not sure I understand point of having glass back when it basically requires a case on the device to then protect the back and also have to use up valuable space in the device to strengthen the frame.
    Wireless charging.
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 15 of 38
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    mattinoz said:
    As with other an iPhone X- with square steel band would be a dream.

I had the iPhone 4 and 4s, and never used a case with either. The glass backs on both were just a beautiful the last day I used them as on the first day.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 38
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,422member
    Please!!! I want SE factor and I want the latest in SE factor. I am done with iPhone 6x size and bigger.
    baconstang
  • Reply 17 of 38
    big phones big problems small phone...no problems. 

Keep headphone jack

same size or ever so slightly larger but keep it thin

upgrade screen rez with lightly curved edges. lcd is still very nice oled would be nice too.

keep it light!

iPhone x is v nice but too heavy and too thick. the compelling aspect of thin phones is REAL.

and yes, devices are harmful for everyone constantly inundated addicted distracted and they seem to make people hate each other.. only gets worse from here as we r in beginning of The Singularity.

• Reply 18 of 38
    Please no...oh please please no. I don't flipping care about wireless charging pads...which, incidentally, still need a wire connected to them to work. Why not skip the ugly pad and just have a wire I plug into my phone that easily hides behind my night stand. ...and keep my nice looking aluminum back that WON'T CRACK no matter how many zillion times more durable this year's glass is compared to last year's (per Apple's usual presentation).
  • Reply 19 of 38
    bonobobbonobob Posts: 382member
    I'd like to see them make the new SE the same size as the current one, but give it a screen with no bezel like the iPhone X.  That would be the best of all worlds, smaller physical size with a larger screen.
    coolfactormuthuk_vanalingamGeorgeBMacairnerddesignr
  • Reply 20 of 38
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,243member
    bonobob said:
    I'd like to see them make the new SE the same size as the current one, but give it a screen with no bezel like the iPhone X.  That would be the best of all worlds, smaller physical size with a larger screen.
    Yup, this!

Love my SE. Not a fan of the 6 and up size.