Apple releases iOS 11.2.2 for iPhone and iPad, supplemental macOS 10.13.2 security update ...

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 38
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    So if you're on macOS Sierra, then you're just screwed? Or, was it already fully patched between the two exploits?
  • Reply 22 of 38
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    icoco3 said:
    It’s 63.4MB on my iPad.  There is a 250MB limit on LTE app downloads, but I’m not allowed to download smaller ‘critical’ iOS updates?

Apple please get your head out of your ass!
    My guess is that a random large app is downloaded at various times infrequently.  Here, millions of iPhones after the same update over cellular “could” have an impact.  Not discounting your comments just a guess at the reasoning.
    This is a great point. Even though its not a huge update, when you have millions of phones doing it at once it could potentially have a negative impact on their network. Even the school I work at, our ISP blocks major iOS updates such as a brand new version of iOS and schedules them for the various districts. They serve over 50,000 mobile devices from the various school districts in the region. They can't have 50,000 mobile devices downloading a brand new version of iOS which is 2-4GB in size. That's a huge strain on their network which is very robust. 
    edited January 2018 icoco3
  • Reply 23 of 38
    bikertwin said:
    I tried updating the Supplemental 10.13.2 on both of my iMacs (one machine for me, the other for the kids, both 2017's). It worked just fine on one of them, but on the other it said it could not install the update. When I went back into the Mac App Store to try to reinstall it the Supplemental was no longer available as an update. Strange.
    The iOS updates worked fine for me. But on my older Mac, the macOS update took a while to install, and now I don’t seem to have wifi/connectivity.

EDIT:
    It seems to be Safari-based web views. Safari doesn’t work, iTunes Store doesn’t work, App Store doesn’t work. Firefox works fine.
    Try Onyx. At least I had identical side effects after a HS update on an officially unsupported  machine. That did the trick for me. Alternatively, reset PRAM  
    bikertwin
  • Reply 24 of 38
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    macxpress said:
    icoco3 said:
    It’s 63.4MB on my iPad.  There is a 250MB limit on LTE app downloads, but I’m not allowed to download smaller ‘critical’ iOS updates?

My guess is that a random large app is downloaded at various times infrequently.  Here, millions of iPhones after the same update over cellular “could” have an impact.  Not discounting your comments just a guess at the reasoning.
    This is a great point. Even though its not a huge update, when you have millions of phones doing it at once it could potentially have a negative impact on their network. Even the school I work at, our ISP blocks major iOS updates such as a brand new version of iOS and schedules them for the various districts. They serve over 50,000 mobile devices from the various school districts in the region. They can't have 50,000 mobile devices downloading a brand new version of iOS which is 2-4GB in size. That's a huge strain on their network which is very robust. 
    Sounds like an argument for setting up a Caching Server.
  • Reply 25 of 38
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    slurpy said:

You don't have wifi at home? I honestly don't get these kind of complaints.
    Oh, I get it. A review of Sean's posting history makes it very clear.
    chiajony0
  • Reply 26 of 38
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    All these mentions of Spectre constantly remind me of:

StrangeDaysGG1edred
  • Reply 27 of 38
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,302member
    No tvOS update?
  • Reply 28 of 38
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    bluefire1 said:
    No tvOS update?
    It it really needed for tVOS (or watchOS) if they have no web browsers?
  • Reply 29 of 38
    macplusplusmacplusplus Posts: 2,112member
    Missing in the article is El Capitan and Sierra update against Spectre.

Safari 11.0.2

Released January 8, 2018

Available for: OS X El Capitan 10.11.6 and macOS Sierra 10.12.6

Description: Safari 11.0.2 includes security improvements to mitigate the effects of Spectre (CVE-2017-5753 and CVE-2017-5715).

We would like to acknowledge Jann Horn of Google Project Zero; and Paul Kocher in collaboration with Daniel Genkin of University of Pennsylvania and University of Maryland, Daniel Gruss of Graz University of Technology, Werner Haas of Cyberus Technology, Mike Hamburg of Rambus (Cryptography Research Division), Moritz Lipp of Graz University of Technology, Stefan Mangard of Graz University of Technology, Thomas Prescher of Cyberus Technology, Michael Schwarz of Graz University of Technology, and Yuval Yarom of University of Adelaide and Data61 for their assistance.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208403

So, machines back to 2007 are protected against Spectre thanks to El Capitan.
    edited January 2018 SolichiaJFC_PAphilboogie
  • Reply 30 of 38
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    It’s 63.4MB on my iPad.  
    2.75 GB on my Mac.
  • Reply 31 of 38
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    welshdog said:
    It’s 63.4MB on my iPad.  
    2.75 GB on my Mac.
    Are you sure it was strictly the Supplemental Update? Mine was only 142 MB.
  • Reply 32 of 38
    JFC_PAJFC_PA Posts: 932member
    Quick and easy OTA update for my iPhone X. 
  • Reply 33 of 38
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    It should be possible for networks to allow security updates to be downloaded without eating into your allowance. 
    That would mean they need to use DPI, which isn't legal due to Net Neutrality. Well, except for the States, I guess.
  • Reply 34 of 38
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Soli said:
    How do you do iOS updates? Use a Mac for network sharing or download to iTunes with the iOS-based device connected? How do/would you (and @philboogie) use an Apple TV?
    I update iOS devices through iTunes, connected to my paltry ≈ 15Mbps Internet over home WiFi. Yes, the whole thing, because I can then apply it to all iDevices.

Right now I'm on holiday and haven't updated. Did check though, iOS 11.2.2 is a 75MB delta update on my X.

AppleTV is caching a movie for about 10 minutes before playback starts, which kinda sucks... but I got used to it.

edited January 2018
  • Reply 35 of 38
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,358member
    icoco3 said:My guess is that a random large app is downloaded at various times infrequently.  Here, millions of iPhones after the same update over cellular “could” have an impact.  Not discounting your comments just a guess at the reasoning.
    Here, there, and almost everywhere millions of iPhones after the same update over cellular would have an impact.

By allowing updates to go over cellular, Apple might as well launch a DOS attack on carriers. 
    fastasleepicoco3
  • Reply 36 of 38
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,358member
    macxpress said:
    This is a great point. Even though its not a huge update, when you have millions of phones doing it at once it could potentially have a negative impact on their network. 
    There's no doubt in my mind that this would negatively impact almost any area if allowed. Not a matter of if, but of how much.

Even if every user were using LTE for a fast/faster download, Apple's servers would never be fast enough under the load. So even small updates would tie up cellular towers. I've never had even close to reasonably fast download from Apple even though I have pretty decent throughput during a download.
  • Reply 37 of 38
    I am using IPhone X and updated 11.2.2 .... I have heating issues but previous version was good...
  • Reply 38 of 38
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    macxpress said:
    So if you're on macOS Sierra, then you're just screwed? Or, was it already fully patched between the two exploits?
    Yea, I'm not sure what is going on with non-High Sierra. I was expecting to see updates, but only Safari so far here (Sierra). I don't plan on moving to High Sierra for another 4 to 6 months unless I get a new computer that has it installed.