Microsoft accidentally bricks AMD PCs with Spectre patch

Posted:
in General Discussion
A recently-issued Windows security update designed to deal with the Spectre processor vulnerability is more Maxwell Smart than James Bond, users say.

The patch inadvertently bricked some computers running AMD chips, with the machines reportedly unable to boot past the Windows logo. Complaints began appearing in Microsoft's Answers forum last week, as noted by The Register.

Rolling back the update doesn't seem to be possible, and reinstalling Windows is also a non-starter for most users.

The patch - KB4056892 - was released early last week in response to the Spectre vulnerability that dropped on New Year's Eve. AMD chips are not vulnerable to the similar Meltdown flaw, which was unveiled at the same time.

Apple addressed these vulnerabilities in recent versions of macOS, iOS, and tvOS, and continues to work to mitigate the problems. The company took further steps with the release of iOS 11.2.2 and macOS 10.13.2 earlier Monday.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 31
    Well, that’s one way to make a bad situation worse. On the bright side, those users don’t need to worry about their computer being compromised...

Is this actually an issue for many users or is it a small set that just sounds worse due to the internet echo chamber?
    edited January 2018 zroger73anton zuykovchia
  • Reply 2 of 31
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,008member
  • Reply 3 of 31
    GG1GG1 Posts: 483member
    The glass half-full: the Spectre vulnerability is completely fixed.
    suddenly newtonanton zuykovchiacornchip
  • Reply 4 of 31
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Bahahahaha...that just makes me laugh for some reason. It sucks for those using AMD's who are effected, but it still just makes me laugh. 
    baconstangairnerdanton zuykovlolliver
  • Reply 5 of 31
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    That is unfortunate. What a cluster it must be to make fixes for the tangled bird's nest that is Windows. All the thousands of hardware variants out there - total nightmare.  Of course Apple doesn't have that issue since it controls the hardware and only has a handful of CPU chips to deal with over the last 10 years of Macs. Plusses and minuses are the spice of life.
    SpamSandwichradarthekattoysandmeMisterKitwatto_cobrachia
  • Reply 6 of 31
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    welshdog said:
    That is unfortunate. What a cluster it must be to make fixes for the tangled bird's nest that is Windows. All the thousands of hardware variants out there - total nightmare.  Of course Apple doesn't have that issue since it controls the hardware and only has a handful of CPU chips to deal with over the last 10 years of Macs. Plusses and minuses are the spice of life.
    Especially if you want to make custom AMD based builds that are supposedly better than an iMac Pro. Sure, maybe on paper its better, but this is the crap you have to potentially deal with. Imagine if an entire company with AMD based custom builds had this issue...it would cost them far more than just spending a tiny bit more and getting an iMac Pro. 
    seanismorristoysandmewatto_cobrachia
  • Reply 7 of 31
    Somebody made my day today. Party time.
  • Reply 8 of 31
    stevenozstevenoz Posts: 314member
    We're all computer people... I feel bad for the AMD update pioneers whose computers were trashed. What is their next step?

PC Intel users may be next with Spectre 'cures.' Be slow to update with something like this.
    edited January 2018 baconstangphilboogiewatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 31
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    macxpress said:
    welshdog said:
    Especially if you want to make custom AMD based builds that are supposedly better than an iMac Pro. Sure, maybe on paper its better, but this is the crap you have to potentially deal with. Imagine if an entire company with AMD based custom builds had this issue...it would cost them far more than just spending a tiny bit more and getting an iMac Pro. 
    Not to worry.  I’m sure VRing has factored that into his phantom iMac Pro killer.

just wait.
    baconstangwatto_cobramacxpressjony0lolliverchiacornchip
  • Reply 10 of 31
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    “Sorry about that, Chief”
    baconstangMisterKitwatto_cobraGG1king editor the gratezroger73suddenly newtonwelshdogjony0chia
  • Reply 11 of 31
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Who are those people and why are they talking to shoes?
  • Reply 12 of 31
    darkpawdarkpaw Posts: 212member
    Rayz2016 said:
    Get Smart.
    lolliver
  • Reply 13 of 31
    cmauscmaus Posts: 49member
    While I acknowledge the fact that this can happen, as Microsoft has to support all sorts of hardware, it’s a sheer nightmare having to reinstall Windows, since that typically uninstalls all your installed applications, unlike macOS, where a reinstall over your existing macOS wouldn’t get you rid of anything!
    All those applications, their plugins, patches, activations, and settings - gone.
    That’s Windows, ladies and gentlemen!
    watto_cobrastevenozlolliver
  • Reply 14 of 31
    darkpaw said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    Get Smart.
    Mmm. Not heard of that. 

Youtubing now…
  • Reply 15 of 31

cmaus said:
    While I acknowledge the fact that this can happen, as Microsoft has to support all sorts of hardware, it’s a sheer nightmare having to reinstall Windows, since that typically uninstalls all your installed applications, unlike macOS, where a reinstall over your existing macOS wouldn’t get you rid of anything!
    All those applications, their plugins, patches, activations, and settings - gone.
    That’s Windows, ladies and gentlemen!
    This is not often the case, but can happen if the registry gets broken during installation. I’ve never understood why Microsoft believes its a good idea to store all the application and OS settings in one humongous, single, surprisingly delicate database. 

Still, after the problem Apple had with the root access bug, then I certainly appreciate how these things can slip through. 

The other thing is that Microsoft does not test against every configuration on the market. They publish a spec and the vendors tests to make sure that their machines run to the spec. The situation here is a little unique. MS now has to test a fix against millions of configurations they’ve never seen.

Can’t be done. 
    edited January 2018 watto_cobrawelshdog
  • Reply 16 of 31
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,358member
    Rayz2016 said:
    Agents 86 and 99 of CONTROL fighting against the evil KAOS. They're talking into their shoe-phones. LOVED that show.
    haarlolliver
  • Reply 17 of 31
    GG1GG1 Posts: 483member
    “Sorry about that, Chief”
    "Missed it by THAT much!"
    king editor the gratezroger73charlesatlaswelshdoglolliver
  • Reply 18 of 31
    airnerdairnerd Posts: 693member
    Well, now I need to check my laptop.  Have a stupid Windows 10 laptop at home that is docked but hardly used, and I haven't touched it this year.  But I know it does auto updates since you can't prevent it on Windows, wonder if it is just a doorstop now.
  • Reply 19 of 31

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-cyber-microchips-amd/microsoft-halts-some-amd-chip-meltdown-patches-after-pcs-freeze-idUSKBN1EY17X

"Upon investigation, Microsoft said some AMD chipsets did not conform to technical documentation the chipmaker had provided, preventing Microsoft from successfully patching affected machines."

(Grabs popcorn to watch the PR fight between MS and AMD)
    airnerdjSnivelylolliverchia
  • Reply 20 of 31
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    It was just Microsoft's response to AMD saying their chips were not impacted, Microsoft, they could fix that...
    lolliverchia