HomeKit compatible Incipio CommandKit Smart Wall Switch and Wireless Smart Power Strip deb...

Posted:
in iPhone
Incipio has expanded its CommandKit home automation solutions suite with the HomeKit-compatible Smart Wall Switch and Wireless Smart Power Strip.

Unveiled at the Las Vegas Consumer Electronics Show, the the CommandKit Smart Wall Switch provides home automation functionality, such as powering and dimming lights, to an entire room and features a motion sensor to trigger functionality to additional HomeKit-compatible products. The Incipio CommandKit Smart Power Strip includes four Smart outlets to control home appliances and offers users the ability to control each outlet discretely.

The pair join the company's existing CommandKit Smart Outlet and Smart Light Bulb Adapter. The system is also compatible with Amazon's Alexa family of devices.

Stand-alone apps for the pair are available, and require iOS 9.1 or above.

The Incipio CommandKit Smart Wall Switch with Dimming has a suggested retail price of $59.99, with the Wireless Smart Power Strip retailing for $99.99. Both are anticipated to ship in the second quarter of 2018.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    All these ‘smart’ devices to enhance experience but security hole after security hole being found by researchers. I think it took about a week after Amazon announced its inside the home delivery service util someone hacked it. I’ve been experimenting with HomeKit devices, a light, a fan, an outdoor switch, just to see how things work. I personally don’t see the overwhelming need for this technology but that’s just me.
    jahbladecornchip
  • Reply 2 of 14
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    lkrupp said:
    All these ‘smart’ devices to enhance experience but security hole after security hole being found by researchers. I think it took about a week after Amazon announced its inside the home delivery service util someone hacked it. I’ve been experimenting with HomeKit devices, a light, a fan, an outdoor switch, just to see how things work. I personally don’t see the overwhelming need for this technology but that’s just me.
    The best use I’ve found Hue lights is for convincing superstitious inlaws that the house is haunted so they don’t outstay their welcome. 
    edited January 2018 edredlollivercornchip
  • Reply 3 of 14
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member
    Different strokes, because having my home’s lights online via HomeKit and programmed to scenes, I wouldn’t want to go back to not having it. I intend to get this wall dimmer switch or one like it, allowing my main living room’s ceiling lights adhere to my existing HomeKit scenes that change it throughout the evening until bedtime. Currently using Hue and wall outlets. 

Bring it on. 
    cornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 14
    These are the same products they promised at last years CES and never delivered.   I even asked them about it with no response.  Then they took the switch sales page down from their website.   Must have been harder to make than they thought...  
    cornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 14
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    Let me summarize all HomeKit compatible devices so far: power plugs, switches, strips, light bulbs and door locks. To be honest, all of these craps are pretty much gimmicks. The only one gadget I think it is useful is the smart thermostat... like Ecobee. The rest of Homekit devices are garbage.
    edited January 2018
  • Reply 6 of 14
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    Rayz2016 said:
    lkrupp said:
    The best use I’ve found Hue lights is for convincing superstitious inlaws that the house is haunted so they don’t outstay their welcome. 
    Programmable plugs can serve the same jobs as well.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    tjwolftjwolf Posts: 424member
    fallenjt said:
    Let me summarize all HomeKit compatible devices so far: power plugs, switches, strips, light bulbs and door locks. To be honest, all of these craps are pretty much gimmicks. The only one gadget I think it is useful is the smart thermostat... like Ecobee. The rest of Homekit devices are garbage.
    Let me summarize your summary: absurd.
    (Besides, your "summary" left out door bells, home security cameras, garage door openers, smoke detectors.

There are lots of good automation use cases for light switches being HomeKit enabled (but I think smart light bulbs - an item that has a relatively limited life span - are a dumb idea).  E.g. turning on one or more lights when you get home and turning all lights (and most electronic gadgets?) off when the last person leaves.  Or simply telling Siri to turn on on lights (or any gadget) when your hands are full.  I have no idea how you can label those uses/gadgets "garbage" or "gimmick".

Actually, the only gadget I think is not that useful for home automation is...a smart thermostat.  I keep the temperature in the house pretty constant throughout the day - just lower it at night.  Current thermostats with schedules are perfectly fine for that.  Sure, there are "learning" remotes like the "Nest" that optimize your energy consumption but I think the savings versus a simple schedule-based thermostats are negligible.  And at least I don't have to worry about my data getting onto some Google servers (as is the case with Nest in particular.)  So what makes you think a smart thermostat is less of a "gimmick" than something that turns on the lights for you?  Enlighten us.
    StrangeDayswatto_cobramacgui
  • Reply 8 of 14

lkrupp said:
    What security holes have been found in HomeKit?  Just curious, because you said 'all' these smart devices and because I just started automating with HomeKit-based automation (just got a few light switches so far).
    lollivercornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 14
    How is this Incipio smart switch different from Lutron's Caseta switch?  I've begun automating with Lutron and am pretty happy with it so far (other than the fact that our builder installed LED recessed lights and the Lutron dimmers that I installed a few months later cause a buzzing on those bulbs - apparently you have to use bulbs from a 'compatible' list of manufacturers to avoid this harmless buzzing...so I need to switch bulbs :-(   Anyway, the Lutrons also cost $59, but with that you get one remote switch as well (it's battery operated and take the place of one additional wall switch in a multi-switch setup - or as a standalone switch you put on the coffee table).  Does the Incipio have that?  Finally, does the Incipio require a "hub"?  Lutron does.  So the initial switch purchase will cost you more than $59.95.

• Reply 10 of 14
    hagarhagar Posts: 130member
    fallenjt said:
    Very true. I’m happy with our Nest thermostat. But our hue lights and Eve smart plugs are pointless. We used to be able to come in to a room and switch on a light. Now we have to take out our phone? There’s really no advantage. 
  • Reply 11 of 14
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    fallenjt said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    lkrupp said:
    Programmable plugs can serve the same jobs as well.
    They’re ceiling lights. 
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 12 of 14
    fallenjt said:
    What utter nonsense. They are neither gimmicks nor garbage. You're exhibiting a common techie personality disorder -- assuming everyone is just like you. So because you dont see value in a wired household, nobody can! Pffft. Get real. 

My thermostat and multiple room house lights are all hooked up to scenes based on the sun or time of night. It's great and the house is always exactly as I'd like it to be, and my evening scenes of varying color temperature and brightness level are conducive to winding down for bed. 

Enjoy your lawn.
    tjwolflolliverwatto_cobramacgui
  • Reply 13 of 14

hagar said:
    fallenjt said:
    Very true. I’m happy with our Nest thermostat. But our hue lights and Eve smart plugs are pointless. We used to be able to come in to a room and switch on a light. Now we have to take out our phone? There’s really no advantage. 
    Are you SURE you actually own Hue lights? Because if you did, you'd know you don't have to take out your phone. Firstly, because Hue bulbs in lamps defer to manual switches, allowing you to turn it on/off exactly as normal regardless of programmed scene. Then there are programmed scenes and timers. Then are wireless & battery-less switches. Then there are geo-fences. Then there is Siri. 

So no, you dont have to take out your phone to use Hue lights at all. WTF, try again.
    lollivercornchipwatto_cobramacgui
  • Reply 14 of 14
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,945member
    These are the same products they promised at last years CES and never delivered.   I even asked them about it with no response.  Then they took the switch sales page down from their website.   Must have been harder to make than they thought...  
    guess there’s always Pivot Power Smart...