Apple picked as 'most innovative' company in recent US survey

Posted:
in General Discussion
Among a list of 12 major corporations, Apple was picked as the most innovative by a wide margin in a poll of U.S. adults.

Of 2,201 people polled between Jan. 4 and 5, 26 percent picked Apple, research firm Morning Consult said this week. The next closest company was Samsung with 14 percent. Google, Microsoft, and Amazon rounded out the top five, despite products like the Amazon Echo and Microsoft's HoloLens.

One business in the survey, Honeywell, failed to win any votes. Morning Consult indicated a 2-point margin of error.

Apple is sometimes criticized for being less innovative under CEO Tim Cook than it was under Steve Jobs, but is also regularly credited with being on the cutting edge with devices like the Apple Watch and technologies like the iPhone X's Face ID. While smartwatches and facial recognition are nothing new, Apple's size, money, and talent has let it break through barriers that have hindered rivals.

Some of the company's next frontiers include augmented and virtual reality, as well as a self-driving car platform. The latter will likely be adopted by ridehailing services, rather than used on any Apple-designed vehicle.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Wow, that's one hell of a difference with others.

In 2017 especially they've really hit their stride with the Iphone X, Airpods and the series 3 Apple Watch.
    racerhomie3GG1watto_cobramavemufc
  • Reply 2 of 27
    BebeBebe Posts: 145member
    Really? That's a contradiction with so many.  But, who cares.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 27
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    Many think that because Apple doesn't announce something completely new they aren't innovating. Just because Apple can take an existing technology, such as Facial Recognition and make it better, doesn't mean they aren't innovating. Innovating isn't just developing brand new technology. When Apple needs to develop something completely new they do, when they see a technology they can use, they make it better. They don't always have to reinvent the wheel with every product release. 
    fotoformatStrangeDaysnetmagefastasleeplolliverwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 4 of 27
    I bet that chart made some people at Honeywell really sad. 0%.. #foreveralone
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 27
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    Why Tesla is not on the list?  It is more innovative than Google. It has products that work unlike Google many of its 'innovative' products do not work. To be innovative one critical requirement working.  By this I mean the product must be accepted by customers instead of being discontinued by the 'innovative' company. 
    dewmelolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 27
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    I bet that chart made some people at Honeywell really sad. 0%.. #foreveralone
    Honeywell doesn't have a very big consumer profile so that was expected. They make very good b2b products though.

If you asked people that buy commercial/business products, you'd likely get a much bigger number (I'm not sure who would be tops in that case, Apple? Microsoft (probably not), Amazon (for aws)... not sure).
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 27
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Oh boy are we gonna here about this from the usual suspects.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 27
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Bebe said:
    Deal with it. That “so many” you talk about is actually a minuscule subset that talks smack on forums and finds fault with any thing Apple. Can’t wait to read the caterwauling and hair on fire retorts on troll sites like MacRumors and 9TO5Mac. 
    edited January 2018 racerhomie3netmagelolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 27
    Good .
    I have not been disappointed with Apple in 2017.
    Even their entry level hardware & new Beats products have been excellent.
    .1 software always had bugs.
    ARkit has been spectacular.More improvements should be made.
    The W1 chip & TrueDepth camera are the best innovations IMO.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 27
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    Bebe said:
    If you went to the link to the survey you could see the methodology they used. Quite an extensive questionnaire. There are 36 questions with dozens of options to select such as wage, ethnicity, age, gender, education, religion, political party, etc. Seems pretty thorough. I just wonder what type of people want to participate in such an extensive survey like this. You'd have to be very lonely or bored.
  • Reply 11 of 27
    foggyhill said:
    Wow, that's one hell of a difference with others.

In 2017 especially they've really hit their stride with the Iphone X, Airpods and the series 3 Apple Watch.
    I agree...the devices you mentioned along with new iPad and new MacBook and Apple has a very strong lineup for the non-Pro user! Of which I've always tended to be.

On the Pro-side, the iPad Pro's look really strong, the MacBook Pros look good as does the new iMacPro. (A little pricey, tho.)

I'm looking fwd to possibly upgrading my SE, if it will work with the PowerMat and charge alongside my AppleWatch and AirPods. My AppleTV and 2017 MacBook and I'm good! :)

Best
  • Reply 12 of 27
    This is a popularity contest...  non of these companies were particularly innovative in 2017.

There are dozens of biotech companies more innovative, but few people have heard of them.
  • Reply 13 of 27
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    tzeshan said:
    Why Tesla is not on the list?  It is more innovative than Google. It has products that work unlike Google many of its 'innovative' products do not work. To be innovative one critical requirement working.  By this I mean the product must be accepted by customers instead of being discontinued by the 'innovative' company. 
    Maybe no one involved in the survey can afford a Tesla. 
    racerhomie3watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 27
    Rayz2016 said:
    tzeshan said:
    Maybe no one involved in the survey can afford a Tesla. 
    Maybe they consider Tesla last years innovation...
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 27
    tzeshan said:
    Maybe they don't consider Tesla a tech company?
    netmagewatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 27
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member
    This is a popularity contest...  non of these companies were particularly innovative in 2017.
    Yes, these products like the amazing X just....design themselves, falling off trees when finished or stepping out of clamshells fully formed. No innovation at all!  <groan>
    edited January 2018 netmagelolliverbrucemcwatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 27
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Interesting survey but meaningless. 

I'm surprised Apple is that high considering the tech media declared Apple is lame. 

How did Sammy get on the list? Theft is considered innovation?
    edited January 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 27
    jungmark said:
    Interesting survey but meaningless. 

I'm surprised Apple is that high considering the tech media declared Apple is lame. 

How did Sammy get on the list? Theft is considered innovation?
    Samsung makes TV's and things to, not just smartphones. 
  • Reply 19 of 27
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member

Wait a minute, something is wrong here, the tech media has been said for year Apple does not innovate so how can they be wrong and user see it completely different. Yep another shinning example that the media world have no clue and they are complete out of touch with what people thinks,

Why is Honeywell even on this list at 0%, where the survey company attempting to shame them or something.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 27
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    macxpress said:
    Many think that because Apple doesn't announce something completely new they aren't innovating. Just because Apple can take an existing technology, such as Facial Recognition and make it better, doesn't mean they aren't innovating. Innovating isn't just developing brand new technology. When Apple needs to develop something completely new they do, when they see a technology they can use, they make it better. They don't always have to reinvent the wheel with every product release. 

This because most people never worked in a tech company like Apple. Most people think Apple just puts together pieces which other companies make. In reality, Apple is actually coming up with a design and going to companies who specialize in various technologies and have them make exactly what they want. Many times it is a combined effort from both companies.

The display are perfect example, Yes Samsung make the actual display but it is manufacture to Apples design specs. This is why when you do a side by side comparison the Apple displays do so much better on the things that matter. They are as bright or vibrant as Samsung, but Apple colors are more true to real world and they do not have display burn in issues. This is where the true innovation is coming from not being first to put out garbage. If Samsung was the designer of the display, they would offer everyone the same display Apple has. but they can not since they do not own the design, they only own the manufacturing process. I works for a number of tech company and it was not unusually for us to work with supplier to come up with solution which no one else had.

tmayRayz2016StrangeDayswatto_cobra