Samsung will debut 'Galaxy S9' at Mobile World Congress next month

Posted:
in General Discussion
Samsung will be launching its next flagship smartphone in February, the South Korean electronics giant has confirmed, with the expected unveiling of the 'Galaxy S9' and the 'Galaxy S9 Plus taking place at this year's Mobile World Congress.

Samsung Galaxy S8
Samsung Galaxy S8

DJ Koh, president of Samsung's mobile arm, advised the firm's first flagship launch of 2018 will take place at the Barcelona-based trade show, reports ZDNet. Koh declined to state specifically what will be launched, but did advise the sales date for the unveiled hardware will be announced during the event.

The executive's comments were made in response to rumors that Samsung would launch the next Galaxy smartphone during a press conference at CES. Mobile World Congress will run from February 26 to March 1, so this year's launch is most likely to take place during that period of time.

Samsung typically launches its flagship Galaxy smartphones earlier in the year, usually around the time of Mobile World Congress, shipping the devices in the following months. For the Galaxy S8 last year, the Samsung Unpacked-branded event was instead held in New York in March, with pre-orders opened on March 30 and U.S. shipments from April 21.

Few details about the 'Galaxy S9' have been leaked, but current rumors compiled by PhoneArena speculate it will have a glass and aluminum main body housing a 5.7-inch 1440-by-2960 Super AMOLED display, an iris scanner, fingerprint reader, and a 12-megapixel rear camera with an 8-megapixel portrait camera.

Inside, it is thought to be equipped with 4 gigabytes of memory, while the processor could be the octa-core Qualcomm Snapdragon SDM845 or the recently announced Samsung Exynos 9810. Some rumors also point to Samsung including up to 512 gigabytes of storage, though only in "select markets."

As well as confirming when to expect the next smartphone launch from the company, Koh also hinted at plans for Samsung to launch a foldable smartphone next year. Advising that production plans are tentatively scheduled for later this year, Koh admitted that the user experience with the device continues to be an obstacle for commercialization, and that Samsung was aggressively working to overcome the issue.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 35
    Oh, boy!  /s
    anton zuykovcornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 35
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Oh, boy!  /s
    I’m sure the launch will go with a…

Never mind. 
    mavemufcwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 35
    So much excitement.
    /s
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 35
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Hopefully their presentation doesn't go up in flames.... /s
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 35
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Apple did so well with ToucID and now FaceID that users love it. Every phone manufactures in world will rush to follow Apple and there strategy to show consumers, they are offering both(not better) face and touch recognition.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 35
    macxpress said:
    Hopefully their presentation doesn't go up in flames.... /s
    Doh!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 35
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,063member
    How much will the batteries cost?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 35
    Few details about the 'Galaxy S9' have been leaked, but current rumors compiled by PhoneArena speculate it will have a glass and aluminum main body housing a 5.7-inch 1440-by-2960 Super AMOLED display, an iris scanner, fingerprint reader, and a 12-megapixel rear camera with an 8-megapixel portrait camera. 

Inside, it is thought to be equipped with 4 gigabytes of memory, while the processor could be the octa-core Qualcomm Snapdragon SDM845 or the recently announced Samsung Exynos 9810. Some rumors also point to Samsung including up to 512 gigabytes of storage, though only in "select markets."

Few details have been leaked?  Pretty much every detail has been leaked.  If there's a single surprise left for the actual debut I'd be surprised.  It's hard to throw a rock and not hit an S9 leak.  Here's one of many.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dq2gtOwCAU
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 35

Few details have been leaked?  Pretty much every detail has been leaked.  If there's a single surprise left for the actual debut I'd be surprised.  It's hard to throw a rock and not hit an S9 leak.  Here's one of many.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dq2gtOwCAU
    Heh. I see your point. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 35
    The Galaxy S8 is a GREAT flagship for the money -- especially when one can pick one up on sale which is often.  If the S9 moves the fingerprint reader and includes a bigger battery, then that's even better.  I especially appreciate that Samsung still includes a headphone jack on their flagship phones.

The only knock on the S8 is Bixby, however, I'm not a big user of voice assistants so I can overlook that....
  • Reply 11 of 35
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    BubbaTwo said:
    The Galaxy S8 is a GREAT flagship for the money -- especially when one can pick one up on sale which is often.  If the S9 moves the fingerprint reader and includes a bigger battery, then that's even better.  I especially appreciate that Samsung still includes a headphone jack on their flagship phones.

The only knock on the S8 is Bixby, however, I'm not a big user of voice assistants so I can overlook that....
    S8's reader so great, everyone complains and they have to move it... Yup, that's Samsung all right.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 35
    airnerdairnerd Posts: 693member
    BubbaTwo said:

I know it will never happen, but if Samsung were to make their flagship phone with a removable battery, game over.  If you could have a legit top end smart phone and swap the batteries they would gather users from all of their product lines under that one phone.  That's the only way they can differentiate from Apple at this time, and it would be a huge differentiation.  You could still maintain water resistance, even.
    BubbaTwo
  • Reply 13 of 35
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    airnerd said:
    BubbaTwo said:

I know it will never happen, but if Samsung were to make their flagship phone with a removable battery, game over.  If you could have a legit top end smart phone and swap the batteries they would gather users from all of their product lines under that one phone.  That's the only way they can differentiate from Apple at this time, and it would be a huge differentiation.  You could still maintain water resistance, even.
    The phone would be at least 30% bigger than an equivalent Apple phone (possibly more when you take into account shaped batteries in the Iphone X) and offer huge amount of constraints in placement of components (since the battery would need to be squarish and accessible and the door cannot have components on it).  if Apple keeps the battery swap at $30 (or even $50), there is little advantage to that. 

There is a reason Samsung switched to sealed, it is not just on a whim.

Apple will probably get the Iphone to be as water proof as the Apple Watch (50 meter) very soon (including speakers expelling water) and you'll not get that if you can open the battery compartment.

With wireless charging, Apple could just offer a battery sleeve (for women to put in their purse) and the battery would essentially always be charged to 100%. For everyone else, the presence everywhere of wireless mats now that the standard is now universal means people don't have to carry a useless big battery everywhere. Their phones could be charged essentially all day long at near 100% without having to carry a cable or break your insertion point by constantly plugging and unplugging.

StrangeDaystmaycornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 35
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Reply 15 of 35
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    still waiting for AI to publish this headline about Huawei and chinese security concerns:

AT&T Drops Huawei’s New Smartphone Amid Security Worries

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/09/business/att-huawei-mate-smartphone.html

...kinda seems like a big deal in mobile. 
    edited January 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 35
    BubbaTwo said:

I don't think so. S7 was better in many ways - Right positioning of FPS (seriously, how such a silly design flaw as allowed to go all the way through production???), better battery life, AND no silly edge display (which makes it look good in appearance but not really useful/practical). And a personal choice in display - regular 16:9 aspect ratio for display in S7 instead of stupid 18.5:9 one in S8. It helps in marketing to show a higher screen to body ratio with weird aspect ratios, compared to regular 16:9 displays. But I am still not convinced with those tall displays with weird aspect ratios (19.5:9, 18:9, 18.5:9 etc) due to 3 reasons.

1. The amount of horizontal scrolling while browsing the web is even higher with those weird aspect ratio displays

2. Most of the content is in 16:9 ratio anyway, so entire screen is not going to be used while watching videos as well most of the time

3. Fragmentation - Consistency of Apps being rendered in various Android devices including Samsung's mid-range/low-end phones with various aspect ratios (same app has to render properly in phones with different aspect ratio displays 16:9, 18:9, 18.5:9 etc. Note - This is NOT a big issue for iOS since Apple controls all iOS devices and will NOT keep changing the aspect ratio for various phones. But Google cannot enforce this on various Android OEMs)

I still believe the phone makers should aim for what Huawei did with Mate 8 in late 2015 - a 6 inch 16:9 display with 78% screen to body ratio, with overall phone dimensions slightly bigger than the 5.5 inch iPhone 6s Plus, instead of the gimmicky Xiaomi Mi MIX in mid-2016 with 91% screen to body ratio fake advertisement (in reality, it was about 83%).

watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 35
    “Paging the usual suspects....Usual suspects to the forums, please. A Samsung product is under attack. This is not a drill.”
    StrangeDaysking editor the grateGG1mavemufccornchipRayz2016watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 35
    glynhglynh Posts: 133member
    What's the betting it will be called Galaxy SX or Galaxy SX Plus or something else to indicate it is on par with the iPhone X.

Of course when I say X I actually mean 10 so maybe Galaxy S10/S10 Plus maybe? /s
    cornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 35
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    I bet Samsung will copy Animoji in the Galaxy S9. 
    cornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 35
    airnerd said:
    BubbaTwo said:

Removable battery is NOT a selling point in real world. LG was providing removable battery in their flagships until 2016 (LG G3 in 2013, G4/V10 in 2015, G5/V20 in 2016) but it did NOT help them sell more and they abandoned it last year for G6/V30+. So your belief is misplaced. You and me are in a very very small minority of people demanding removable batteries. Not going to happen in real world. Time to move on, I guess.
    StrangeDayscornchipwatto_cobra1STnTENDERBITS