Satechi Type-C 75W Multiport Travel Charger capable of powering a MacBook Pro

Posted:
in General Discussion
Accessory producer Satechi revealed its Type-C 75WMultiport Travel Charger, capable of charging up to four devices simultaneously, with it also capable of providing enough power to recharge a MacBook and an MacBook Pro as well as iPhones, iPads, and other devices.

Four different ports are available for recharging hardware via the travel charger, with it able to output up to a maximum of 75 watts across multiple devices. A USB-C port can provide up to 60 watts, which is enough to power the 13-inch MacBook Pro, with the same connection also supporting fast charging for the iPhone X, iPhone 8, and iPhone 8 Plus.

Two USB ports offer a 5-volt 2.4-amp connection for lower powered devices. A third, the Qualcomm Quick Charge 3.0 port, can be used to provide power to compatible devices including recent iPhones as well as the Nintendo Switch, with the QC3.0 port said to be 38 percent quicker than the previous version, Quick Charge 2.0.

The compact unit measures 4 inches by 2.63 inches by 1 inch, and is supplied with a detachable four-foot power cable. It also features a broad power input range of 100 volts to 240 volts, making it compatible with a wide variety of power outlets around the world.

Offered in a space gray casing, the Satechi Type-C 75W Multiport Travel Charger is available to buy now, priced at $64.99.

Yesterday at CES, Satechi launched the Dual Charging Station, a USB-C powered dock that can provide power to an iPhone and an Apple Watch at the same time.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    payecopayeco Posts: 581member
    Why is there still no one offering a ~87w charger when Apple has been making their own for years? I was ready to buy this one and say ‘close enough’ when I saw 75w but then saw the USB-C is limited to 60w.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    payeco said:
    Why is there still no one offering a ~87w charger when Apple has been making their own for years? I was ready to buy this one and say ‘close enough’ when I saw 75w but then saw the USB-C is limited to 60w.
    In practice, 60W is fine for the 15-inch MBP. I load mine down all the time, and never get any battery drain. 

That said, you've got a good question, there.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Even Apples 29 W type-C charger works fine to charge my 15 inch MacBook Pro over night. It is much smaller and lighter, so when I travel the 87 W charger stays home. :)
  • Reply 4 of 9
    I would really like to see Apple chargers with multiple outlets though - for example 29 W USB C plus 2x 5 W USB outlet for charging simultaneously your computer/iPad and two smaller devices like your phone/watch over night. 
  • Reply 5 of 9
    payeco said:
    In practice, 60W is fine for the 15-inch MBP. I load mine down all the time, and never get any battery drain. 

That said, you've got a good question, there.
    In my experience, previously, using a 55w charger was not enough when using the 15 inch with a 4K external monitor hooked up and using both displays. The battery would very slowly drain. Plus, in a travel charger I want something that charges as quickly as possible for recharging between flights, etc.
    edited January 2018
  • Reply 6 of 9
    I would really like to see Apple chargers with multiple outlets though - for example 29 W USB C plus 2x 5 W USB outlet for charging simultaneously your computer/iPad and two smaller devices like your phone/watch over night. 
    Why not just plug them into the laptop USB ports overnight? It’s going to cause the laptop to charge slower but so would putting the ports directly on the 29w charger itself.
    edited January 2018
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Wait a minute, this Satechi charger looks exactly like the one by Zero Lemon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00WM93M9S/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_uIXvAbXVXD72S
    Is Satechi copying Zero Lemon, or are they the same company & up charging for the Satechi model?
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    sixsteps said:
    Wait a minute, this Satechi charger looks exactly like the one by Zero Lemon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00WM93M9S/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_uIXvAbXVXD72S
    Is Satechi copying Zero Lemon, or are they the same company & up charging for the Satechi model?
    Probably a similar reason why the vast majority of Thunderbolt 3 docks look the same. The same basic components, provided by a vendor.

The two companies are not the same.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Wish the USB ports transferred data like external hard drives. Thy should’ve made it a usb hub/power supply.