Watch: 5K gaming on an iMac Pro

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    jmulchino said:
    I’m confused by all this especially AppleInsider’s heavy coverage (promotion?) of a high end, professional platform from Apple with minimum configuration costing $5k US$ for . . . gaming? I get it that the iMac Pro is a professional system for graphic pros. And if you have the coin to bring this home and game that’s fine. It’s your money. But seriously? After a hard day working on a SuperBowl ad you are going to let off steam with a few hours of gaming on the company deluxe platform? In my company you’d get fired. And if you are a sole contractor you will have to ask yourself why you are risking crucial components on recreation. 

Don't you think you are making a lot of assumptions here?

How are crucial components at risk by playing games?

What makes you think someone was goofing off by playing games? If this wasn't agreed upon to be a story in AI, do you think someone "goofing off" would be stupid enough to put it out for his employers to see?

A lot of reader appreciate the fact that AI is covering the new iMac Pros from all possible angles.

williamlondonStrangeDaysanome
  • Reply 22 of 33
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    sflocal said:
    Just buy a used XBox 1 or PS4.
    Its not that hard.

Anyone even remotely contemplating getting an iMac Pro means that money isn't the issue, be it for work or *gasp* "gaming".  You may not like someone getting such a machine with the thought of playing games on it, but if that's on their radar, so be it.
    Even though I prefer my PS4 Pro for gaming, I for sure would do some gaming on the iMac Pro if I ever bought one. 
  • Reply 23 of 33
    VRingVRing Posts: 108member
    GG1 said:
    Regarding the Mini: looks like Intel will announce a multi-chip part with Core + Radeon Vega M + HBM2 in one package tomorrow (Monday) at CES. This part has Mini written all over it. Hopefully it has TB3.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12220/how-to-make-8th-gen-more-complex-intel-core-with-radeon-rx-vega-m-graphics-launched
    Intel announced their Hades Canyon NUCs coming Spring 2018.

There will be two models, one with the 65W i7-8705G for $799, and the other with the 100W i7-8809G for $999. Anandtech

The late 2014 Mac Mini used a U series chip with integrated graphics. Going by that, these Intel Core with Radeon RX Vega M processors wouldn't be a reasonable substitute. However, that's not to say Apple hasn't changed their mind and is willing to accommodate for at least a 65W part (up to a 100W). 
    edited January 2018
  • Reply 24 of 33
    GG1GG1 Posts: 483member
    VRing said:
    GG1 said:
    Regarding the Mini: looks like Intel will announce a multi-chip part with Core + Radeon Vega M + HBM2 in one package tomorrow (Monday) at CES. This part has Mini written all over it. Hopefully it has TB3.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12220/how-to-make-8th-gen-more-complex-intel-core-with-radeon-rx-vega-m-graphics-launched

There will be two models, one with the 65W i7-8705G for $799, and the other with the 100W i7-8809G for $999. Anandtech

The late 2014 Mac Mini used a U series chip with integrated graphics. Going by that, these Intel Core with Radeon RX Vega M processors wouldn't be a reasonable substitute. However, that's not to say Apple hasn't changed their mind and is willing to accommodate for at least a 65W part (up to a 100W). 
    Hopefully Apple will support at least the 65W part (with active cooling derived from the iMac Pro).

Let's see what eGPU's are announced at CES. TB3/eGPU support is the top of my wishlist for the next Mini (even if it doesn't support this Intel/Radeon part).
    edited January 2018
  • Reply 25 of 33
    danvmdanvm Posts: 1,409member
    ajl said:
    danvm said:
    ajl said:
    All games (applications as well) in Boot Camp can be maxed out to 4K not because Boot Camp drivers, but simply because Windows can manage up to 4K resolution.
    Looks like Windows 10 goes higher than 4K resolution,

https://www.pcworld.com/article/2900692/microsoft-to-support-8k-video-resolutions-with-windows-10.html

Looks like.

There are a plethora of older sites telling that Windows 10 will support over 4K video resolutions (a leap between 4K and 8K and only in displays larger than 27 inches), but I wrote managehttps://www.thurrott.com/windows/windows-10/83964/microsoft-may-never-fix-high-dpi-issues-windows-10

Maybe I'm wrong, but actually Windows does not support 5K resolution.
    High dpi issues are not related to the resolutions Windows 10 supports.  Here is a video of Windows running in the Dell 8K monitor,

https://youtu.be/BfOLimMAhrs
    xzu
  • Reply 26 of 33
    VRing said:

[...]
    The new G-series that go with these are a sort of hybrid of U- and H-series, so it's not a huge step for Apple. New form factor for sure, though. It will be interesting to see where HP places these in their lineup -- to be announced this week, presumably with configurations up to 32GB RAM and Thunderbolt 3 standard.

EDIT: I see the main Anandtech article on these is out, and they infer that some of the G-series will be available without the Radeon graphics, so Apple could offer a low-end mini in the new form factor with Intel graphics for about $599, then move up from there.
    edited January 2018
  • Reply 27 of 33
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,876member
    jmulchino said:
    I’m confused by all this especially AppleInsider’s heavy coverage (promotion?) of a high end, professional platform from Apple with minimum configuration costing $5k US$ for . . . gaming? I get it that the iMac Pro is a professional system for graphic pros. And if you have the coin to bring this home and game that’s fine. It’s your money. But seriously? After a hard day working on a SuperBowl ad you are going to let off steam with a few hours of gaming on the company deluxe platform? In my company you’d get fired. And if you are a sole contractor you will have to ask yourself why you are risking crucial components on recreation. 

Meanwhile, we enter the fourth year without any tangible sign from Apple of a Mac Mini upgrade. Simply bizarre. 
    How bizarre. At my jobs they had no problem with us firing up team games after hours and doing some LAN gaming. But we were super productive tech companies, less insecurity from management IMO. 

But risking components by using them? I don’t follow you at all there. 
    edited January 2018 williamlondon
  • Reply 28 of 33
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,876member

jmulchino said:
    Hmmm. Disappointed that most of those responding to my post either didn’t read my original post or resorted to personal snarky attacks. Has AI Comments gone the way of YouTube comments? BTW folks, you aren’t employed by Apple so why condescendly tell me what Apple is or isn’t going to do with the Mac Mini? The reason, again, that I posted was that I found it odd that AI would go to great lengths to feature an article on gaming but has consistently given Apple a free pass on the Mac Mini. I am a long time loyal customer of Apple. I know of no serious gamer who would use a Mac for gaming. So, it would have been more interesting to see an article speculating on where Apple is going with the gaming. I suspect no where. The average, I repeat average, 16 year old will not drop 10K on an iMac Pro. 
    I would love to respond to any points but I will not react to the juvenile “haters gunna hate” line of thinking. 
    So far your posts aren’t really adding much value. They boil down to a complaint of “who cares”. 

People game with what they have on hand. I used to be a hardcore gamer, and am certainly not 16. I could spend $5,000 on this machine for my work and certainly would also game with it. Thus, I’m interested in this topic. 
    edited January 2018
  • Reply 29 of 33
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    GG1 said:
    macxpress said:
    jmulchino said:

Meanwhile, we enter the fourth year without any tangible sign from Apple of a Mac Mini upgrade. Simply bizarre. 
    What does the Mac mini have to do with this iMac Pro gaming article? Why do people feel the need to try and bitch about the Mac mini in an article that has nothing to with it? You'll get your god damn Mac mini when its ready to be released and I'm sure you won't like it anyways. 

I'm thinking Apple will release a Mac mini with their own processor inside it. It may not be an A-Series CPU/GPU, but maybe a big brother of that line. I can see them slowly prepping for this with things like the T1 and T2 chips that have built in controllers for various features of today's Macs that have these chips and they have their own controllers for things like the 27" 5k display. Apple has done amazing things with low voltage mobile device chips, I'd like to see what they're doing for their Mac lineup as far as their own chips go where they have more wiggle room with power and thermal capacity.
  • Reply 30 of 33
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member

jmulchino said:
    Hmmm. Disappointed that most of those responding to my post either didn’t read my original post or resorted to personal snarky attacks. Has AI Comments gone the way of YouTube comments? BTW folks, you aren’t employed by Apple so why condescendly tell me what Apple is or isn’t going to do with the Mac Mini? The reason, again, that I posted was that I found it odd that AI would go to great lengths to feature an article on gaming but has consistently given Apple a free pass on the Mac Mini. I am a long time loyal customer of Apple. I know of no serious gamer who would use a Mac for gaming. So, it would have been more interesting to see an article speculating on where Apple is going with the gaming. I suspect no where. The average, I repeat average, 16 year old will not drop 10K on an iMac Pro. 
    I would love to respond to any points but I will not react to the juvenile “haters gunna hate” line of thinking. 
    So far your posts aren’t really adding much value. They boil down to a complaint of “who cares”. 

People game with what they have on hand. I used to be a hardcore gamer, and am certainly not 16. I could spend $5,000 on this machine and certainly would game with it. Thus, I’m interested in this topic. 
    I would buy it because I love the design of it and yes, I can game on it! If the Vega doesn't last long term as far as performance goes, I could just get an external TB3 enclosure and stick a supported card inside it. 
  • Reply 31 of 33
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    Risking components with gaming is a legit issue. Running games on Mac computers is a sure fire way to cause it to throttle CPU and GPU. Why is it throttling? Heat. Too much heat. 

I point you to the MacBook Pro 3,1 and other models with known failures due to GPU and heat... I myself played most of Half Life 2 on my MacBook Pro 3,1 and it's GPU flaw eventually killed it. It's not something users should have to concern themselves with, but experience shows it happens on these small/thin designs. 
    xzu
  • Reply 32 of 33
    macxpress said:
    Please don't .
    Please don't what?
    Say that it’s just a toy?
    Please do productive work.