Apple could bring glass back to 'iPhone SE 2,' rumor says

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 38
    JFC_PAJFC_PA Posts: 946member
    In terms of looks those 4 series phones were my favorites. 
  • Reply 22 of 38
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    I hope they keep the small form factor. My 5S is getting a bit long in the tooth. I've been holding off getting an SE since it's also starting to get old.
    I really like the small SE. Even though I bought the X, I think it's way too large and am keeping the SE when going out to dinner. You know, not going to need the phone, just want to be reachable.

Would love to get what Apple will never make: put the camera of the X in the SE. I can do without 3D Touch, Face ID and all that.
    Sell the X and use the proceeds to buy an Apple Watch with LTE.  You will always be reachable without the need to lug any phone around.
  • Reply 23 of 38
    bonobob said:
    I'd like to see them make the new SE the same size as the current one, but give it a screen with no bezel like the iPhone X.  That would be the best of all worlds, smaller physical size with a larger screen.
    I think that would be a LOT more attractive to people than anything else Apple could do.

I would like to see Apple come out with 3 versions of the no-bezel full screen X:
    -- an SE sized version
    -- the current version
    -- a plus sized version.

Admittedly, that would totally destroy one of the current SE's major selling points:  Price.  So, it would have to be in addition to the SE.  Call it the X-Mini...  But an X-Mini would take care of the major complaint about the SE:  the small screen and (for me) keyboard.  That would be my perfect phone:  a small external form factor with a screen and and keyboard large enough for my aging eyes and fat fingers...
  • Reply 24 of 38
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,921member
    What if SE 2 is smaller sibling of iPhone X ? Only problem is how to fit faceid components into smaller around 4" iPhone. If Apple can do than one hell of a achievement.
  • Reply 25 of 38
    airnerdairnerd Posts: 693member
    mauijoe said:
    I hope so my six is getting old but I'm waiting 
    Same, even if I don't get the SE2 (not calling it an X version for obvious reasons) I want to at least see what it will be.  I'm hoping it is slightly larger than the current SE since that's too small for my old eyes.  I love the size of my 6, but slightly smaller would still be fine.  

I don't expect wireless charging or dual lens cameras.  I expect the SE2 to have glass all the way around, a headphone port, the 7's home button and an A10 (and if they could add some water-resistance that would be aces).  That keeps it cheap but updated and able to run iOS for two more years.  
  • Reply 26 of 38
    surely the SE is based on 2012's 5, not 2013's 5S? 
    edited January 2018
  • Reply 27 of 38
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    I think Apple can reasonably add some of the new features from iPhone 7/8 into an SE, and still be able to keep the established price points.  Wireless charging, A10 at least, updated camera, updated screen - maybe 3DTouch, as Apple would want to have as many as possible have access to modern UI usage.  The design will also draw in SE upgraders.

Most people will want the larger phones, so I don't think Apple has to worry too much about a lower priced SE, even with many updates, drawing away from the higher end phones.  The main issue is cost, to be able to maintain the current pricing.
  • Reply 28 of 38
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    Please no...oh please please no. I don't flipping care about wireless charging pads...which, incidentally, still need a wire connected to them to work. Why not skip the ugly pad and just have a wire I plug into my phone that easily hides behind my night stand. ...and keep my nice looking aluminum back that WON'T CRACK no matter how many zillion times more durable this year's glass is compared to last year's (per Apple's usual presentation).
    You know the 2017 iPhones, while supporting wireless charging, still can be charged the old fashioned way, right?
  • Reply 29 of 38
    I hope they keep the small form factor. My 5S is getting a bit long in the tooth. I've been holding off getting an SE since it's also starting to get old.
    I really like the small SE. Even though I bought the X, I think it's way too large and am keeping the SE when going out to dinner. You know, not going to need the phone, just want to be reachable.

Would love to get what Apple will never make: put the camera of the X in the SE. I can do without 3D Touch, Face ID and all that.
    Sell the X and use the proceeds to buy an Apple Watch with LTE.  You will always be reachable without the need to lug any phone around.
    I thought the same thing...it's my plan also. Put the money into the LTE watch and not into the latest and greatest X! To me, wireless charging is a must have feature and will make me upgrade to the new SE. It's sounds silly, but once you get used to just dropping a device on a charging pad, it's hard to go back to fumbling to plug in the device every night. I know this b/c I have the round, white Apple charging pad for my Apple Series 0 watch. A lot of people don't think it's a big deal, but it is. I will be buying 2 PowerMats, one for my bedside and one for my desk at work! It's a good feeling knowing I can charge my devices at work and at home. :)

Best
    edited January 2018 mac_128
  • Reply 30 of 38
    adm1 said:
    surely the SE is based on 2012's 5, not 2013's 5S? 
    Yes, the 5S was merely the 5 with updated components.   The SE is essentially the 5 with most of the internals of the 6S.
  • Reply 31 of 38
    brucemc said:
    I think Apple can reasonably add some of the new features from iPhone 7/8 into an SE, and still be able to keep the established price points.  Wireless charging, A10 at least, updated camera, updated screen - maybe 3DTouch, as Apple would want to have as many as possible have access to modern UI usage.  The design will also draw in SE upgraders.

Most people will want the larger phones, so I don't think Apple has to worry too much about a lower priced SE, even with many updates, drawing away from the higher end phones.  The main issue is cost, to be able to maintain the current pricing.
    Yes, for the SE price has always been the reason Apple marketed it -- primarily for the 3rd world market.  But then it caught on here as well -- partly because many people prefer its form factor.

But the price is not based on cheaper vs more expensive components per se.   Rather, the tooling needed to produce the 6S level components in the SE have already been paid for or nearly paid for -- so Apple only has to pay the actual production costs rather than the production costs plus the amortized tooling costs.  So, since only Apple knows when those tooling costs have been amortized/absorbed, we won't know when it is possible for them to upgrade to 7 level internals at the same price point. 

I'm betting that both the SE and the 9.7" iPad stay the same this spring with maybe some minor upgrades and/or some discounting.

But, that leaves the door open to an SE sized iPhone X -- call it the X-Mini in the fall.  I think a lot of people would like the larger screen in the smaller device.  That could be a hit!
  • Reply 32 of 38
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    That be cool. Just got my kid for her birthday a SE and I have to say for $159 on prepaid as a trial it was very reminiscent of the old days. 
    iPhone SE are cheaper in US prepaid and India then anywhere else in the world. Which is one reason why I cant get my self to paid the $349 price else where.

My guess is that they will lower the price of iPhone SE, and introduce the newer iPhone SE 2 at higher price. Because at the moment, i doubt the iPhone SE 32GB even has a BOM cost of $100.
    edited January 2018
  • Reply 33 of 38
    bonobob said:
    I'd like to see them make the new SE the same size as the current one, but give it a screen with no bezel like the iPhone X.  That would be the best of all worlds, smaller physical size with a larger screen.
    but then with a larger edge to edge screen the price would increase, which is exactly what Apple don't want to do with the SE.
  • Reply 34 of 38
    bonobob said:
    i think iphoneX is good and also better design than SE.
    Agen BandarQ

• Reply 35 of 38
    mavemufc said:
    bonobob said:
    but then with a larger edge to edge screen the price would increase, which is exactly what Apple don't want to do with the SE.
    I agree...  But that doesn't change the fact that many like the feel of a smaller form factor like Jobs originally designed.   And, at the same time, many like the idea of a lower cost iPhone like the current SE.

So, the logical conclusion is:
    -- a lower cost SE2
    -- a higher functioning X-Mini with a full screen OLED display that provides a larger screen in a smaller external case.
  • Reply 36 of 38
    mavemufc said:
    bonobob said:
    I agree...  But that doesn't change the fact that many like the feel of a smaller form factor like Jobs originally designed.   And, at the same time, many like the idea of a lower cost iPhone like the current SE.

So, the logical conclusion is:
    -- a lower cost SE2
    -- a higher functioning X-Mini with a full screen OLED display that provides a larger screen in a smaller external case.
    Thats true, SE2, X Mini, X Plus, lots of phones!
  • Reply 37 of 38
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    My wife just bought a 7, but I'm really happy with my SE and hope they keep the form-factor intact. While I could get by with a 7, 8, etc. I really don't like the design as well.