Targus shows off new Thunderbolt 3 docking station with 85W, support for 4K at 60Hz

Posted:
in General Discussion
Thunderbolt 3 docks may have been slow to roll out but the market is picking up pace now, with Targus throwing their hat in the ring with a new offering aimed at multi-platform users.

The DOCK220USZ packs more ports than letters in its model number. Twin USB-C outlets are paired with a full-sized DisplayPort, two USB 3.0 type A ports, audio in and out, and one Gigabit Ethernet port.

Targus's new dock is capable of driving two 4K monitors at 60Hz, with one monitor on DisplayPort, and the other with a USB-C to DisplayPort cable plugged into the downstream Thunderbolt 3 port.

Targus says the dock can also provide up to 85W of power to connected devices, suitable for the 15-inch MacBook Pro.

The dock is available in Space Gray and the dock itself has a small footprint measuring just 5 inches wide and 3.2 inches deep. Interested buyers can pick up the dock, with model number DOCK220USZ, now for $349.99.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    It looks pretty nice, but what the hell happened to the arrangement of ports on the back side. I know you usually dont see that, but the misalignment and seemingly random position of the ports is unbearable.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    That, is without doubt, the worst looking piece of technology that i've ever seen. Can it hang from under your desk, so you don't have to look at it?
  • Reply 3 of 5
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,796member
    It doesn't have an e-SATA Port... /s
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 5
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,454member
    $350? Seems a bit high for a Targus product (not that visually appealing either). I'm surprised by the high dollar amount for these docks.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Only two USB-A ports, an no card reader... for $350. OWC's dock is a better deal.