Apple putting pinch on worldwide OLED supply, Chinese vendors looking to mini LED in 2018 ...

Posted:
in iPhone
Supply chain reports from China suggest that Huawei, Oppo, and Xiaomi are looking at alternatives to OLED, as Apple grows the quantity of screens it needs for the iPhone.

According to a report from supply chain monitor Digitimes, Chinese manufacturers are turning to the relatively new technology because it both can't source enough screens, nor can it get them inexpensively enough to make them worthwhile for the low-margin products produced.

Recent improvements in the technology have reduced the number of mini LED chips for backlighting to 4000 from a previous 9000 in a six-inch device, bringing down costs.

DigiTimes does generally provide accurate information from within China's supply chain, but has a poor track record for predicting Apple's future product plans.

Production of mini LED backlighting for smartphones and televisions is likely to begin in second-half 2018, with specifications to be decided in the first half. Existing LED equipment can be adjusted to produce mini LED chips.

The mini LED backlight technology discussed in the report and sought after by the Chinese smartphone manufacturers is not the same as microLED. Apple is rumored to be looking into that technology as well for future device, as it has some inherent advantages over OLED.

Apple currently uses OLED displays in the Apple Watch, and the iPhone X.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,294member
    This is an interesting development and not unexpected...this will knock the Chinese manufacturers down a few sizes...Apple and Samsung in many ways suck the oxygen out of the room...the next few years are going to be good for AAPL with the addition of OLED screens and the phenomenal FaceID, the unhearlded success of the AppleWatch and AirPods.
    racerhomie3ronnwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 11
    I still love my LCD. OLED is OK , and I think Apple has done a terrific job at improving it. But at the end of the day my iPhone SE looks just as sharp to me as iPhone X. Only HDR videos are where I can see some significant difference.
    ronn
  • Reply 3 of 11
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    I still love my LCD. OLED is OK , and I think Apple has done a terrific job at improving it. But at the end of the day my iPhone SE looks just as sharp to me as iPhone X. Only HDR videos are where I can see some significant difference.
    While I agree with your assessment about LCD vs OLED that’s not the narrative we’ve been subjected to for the past couple of years. The usual suspects were constantly trashing Apple for not having OLED while Samsung did. Apple’s LCD screens where subpar they claimed. 
    netmagesuddenly newtonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 11
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    I don't know what you can see, but the iPhone X has a much higher PPI and more brightness. This isn't an LCD v OLED issue, it's just a much newer display on a more premium device. Even with the iPhone 8 Plus v iPhone X, the X still beats it in pixels (assuming it's not AMOLED) and both use HDR, and I've heard people say the iPhone X looks better. Personally, I haven't done a direct comparison of each so I can't weigh in with what I see.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member

This the key statement

"Chinese manufacturers are turning to the relatively new technology because it both can't source enough screens, nor can it get them inexpensively enough to make them worthwhile for the low-margin products produced"

Since Apple is able to sell their phones at a higher price, they are also willing to pay more to get the best technology. Therefore suppliers do not need the bottom feeder to help cover the manufacturing overhead costs, thus leaving the bottom feeder forced to do something else. This is part of the pricing and brand recognition strategy Wall Street and MBA's fail to understand. This whole mentality of market share and unit shipment at all cost is all that matters, fails when you have company like Apple doing what they do best, not leaving a signal $ on the table which also leaves nothing for the competitor to grab hold of.

Besides displays, this will also play of on the Face ID senors, Apple has the best technologies and the suppliers can not keep up, and Apple paid for the R&D and the manufacturing tech so the bottom feeder will not have access to Apple's tech and will be force to use something of lesser quality.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Digitimes... smdh.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    I love my X but mini-LCD is the future.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    irnchriz said:
    I love my X but mini-LCD is the future.
    You may be thinking about microLED. MiniLCD is an evolutionary side-step.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 11
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    The big ass led panel Samsung showed was touted as micro led , but seems a lot more like mini ked
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 11
    lkrupp said:
    While I agree with your assessment about LCD vs OLED that’s not the narrative we’ve been subjected to for the past couple of years. The usual suspects were constantly trashing Apple for not having OLED while Samsung did. Apple’s LCD screens where subpar they claimed. 
    “Inky blacks” was a meme.
    It covers for a lot of ills. Image retention, faded blues, decreased brightness with age, pen tile image aliasing, off-axis color shift. Nah. Inky blacks fixes everything.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 11
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    lkrupp said:
    “Inky blacks” was a meme.
    It covers for a lot of ills. Image retention, faded blues, decreased brightness with age, pen tile image aliasing, off-axis color shift. Nah. Inky blacks fixes everything.
    It is obvious OLED will only be a stopgap, especially in TV's where mini and micro led will eventually take over.
    Just wish anything could look as good as my 2012 plasma for the price. OLEDs that are equivalent cost 4 times the price I paid and even at the top end, I'm not satisfied right now with LEDs, maybe mini/microled will do better.
    watto_cobra