FBI forensic expert calls Apple 'evil genius' for strengthening iPhone encryption

Comments

• Reply 41 of 77
    bitmodbitmod Posts: 267member
    bitmod said:
    Smoke and mirrors. 
    The FBI may not have keys - but the NSA has a back door to not only snoop but turn your mic and camera on at any time without you knowing. 
    The same backdoor Apple uses to sell your info to advertisers. 

Don't believe me? try it yourself: Without having any phone or iPad on - start talking about a product: "honey, do we have any Tylenol?" "I think we are out of Tylenol", "Who in town sells Tylenol"... then watch as mysteriously your Facebook ads and cookies throw Tylenol ads at you. 

The reason battery life is worse in iOS 11 is because our devices are always listening. 

Try it yourself. We've seen it with 4 random products now - too much to be a coincidence. 
    Also, everything and anything you text to someone is read and sold to advertisers. Text someone you are thinking of taking a vacation to Hawaii and watch as your ads start sending you Airbnb for Hawaii. 

The crazy thing is, we are furthest thing from conspiracy theorists - and we set out to prove this wrong... yet the results done lie. 

Nearly every time someone brings up something like this with me, I quickly determine they actively use Facebook/Messenger and/or Gmail/Gtalk for all of their main communications. 

Anything listening to to your mic is one of those or some other 3rd party malware like Shazam used to do in the background. Apple’s software does not, other than local listening for Hey Siri. 

I call bullshit on iMessage scraping your communications for ads. Apple doesn’t even run an ad network anymore, you think they’re funneling that info to Google and other display ad networks? Get real. 

We don't use the Facebook app - only access through safari. Don't use google anything except for search. 
    iMessage someone that you're thinking of going to Hawaii or some place in the future - see if you get any ads on Facebook for AirBnB targeting the location you mentioned. 

We know that the NSA has the capability of turning on your mic and camera without you knowing at any time - that is only possible if Apple designed the capability.

I called bullshit too - then I was able to replicate it. Not all the time, but 3 times in 1 week.  
    The problem I have is, anything that sporadic isn't profitable so why implement? Part of Apple's AI platform - which is designed to do this exact kind of thing btw? 

How would Facebook glean this info from a device that's off? 

The only other possibility is that I googled at some point something about a fever - Google's AI sold it to Facebook, who's AI deducted I may need a medicine for fever and the next day I'm seeing ads for Tylenol - which I had coincidentally mentioned in a conversation to someone... 
    It's possible it's just freaky smart algorithms and AI... not ruling it out. 

• Reply 42 of 77
    steven n.steven n. Posts: 1,229member
    bitmod said:
    Smoke and mirrors. 
    The FBI may not have keys - but the NSA has a back door to not only snoop but turn your mic and camera on at any time without you knowing. 

Don't believe me? try it yourself: Without having any phone or iPad on - start talking about a product: "honey, do we have any Tylenol?" "I think we are out of Tylenol", "Who in town sells Tylenol"... then watch as mysteriously your Facebook ads and cookies throw Tylenol ads at you. 

The reason battery life is worse in iOS 11 is because our devices are always listening. 

Try it yourself. We've seen it with 4 random products now - too much to be a coincidence. 
    Also, everything and anything you text to someone is read and sold to advertisers. Text someone you are thinking of taking a vacation to Hawaii and watch as your ads start sending you Airbnb for Hawaii. 

The crazy thing is, we are furthest thing from conspiracy theorists - and we set out to prove this wrong... yet the results done lie. 

That is a level of paranoia I have not seen in sometime on this forum. Try this: Delete Facebook. Don't have it running when you are talking about a headache. Blame Google and Facebook for spying (because you gave them permission). Likewise, make sure your Text is "Blue" and not "Green". If it is "Green" it is unencrypted and transmitted in the clear mostly.
    StrangeDayscornchip
  • Reply 43 of 77
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    bitmod said:
    bitmod said:
    Smoke and mirrors. 

Nearly every time someone brings up something like this with me, I quickly determine they actively use Facebook/Messenger and/or Gmail/Gtalk for all of their main communications. 

Anything listening to to your mic is one of those or some other 3rd party malware like Shazam used to do in the background. Apple’s software does not, other than local listening for Hey Siri. 

I call bullshit on iMessage scraping your communications for ads. Apple doesn’t even run an ad network anymore, you think they’re funneling that info to Google and other display ad networks? Get real. 

We don't use the Facebook app - only access through safari. Don't use google anything except for search. 
    iMessage someone that you're thinking of going to Hawaii or some place in the future - see if you get any ads on Facebook for AirBnB targeting the location you mentioned. 

We know that the NSA has the capability of turning on your mic and camera without you knowing at any time - that is only possible if Apple designed the capability.

I called bullshit too - then I was able to replicate it. Not all the time, but 3 times in 1 week.  
    The problem I have is, anything that sporadic isn't profitable so why implement? Part of Apple's AI platform - which is designed to do this exact kind of thing btw? 

The only other possibility is that I googled at some point something about a fever - Google's AI sold it to Facebook, who's AI deducted I may need a medicine for fever and the next day I'm seeing ads for Tylenol - which I had coincidentally mentioned in a conversation to someone... 

Jesus Christ. You Googled about a fever, there you go.  I 100% guarantee you Tylenol targets “fever” in their ad keyword bids. Even if Google didn’t sell you an ad, if you landed on another site that has Facebook’s API running (ie any site with a Like box or open graph features etc ie all of them), Facebook knows you came from a search for “fever” and/or the subject matter of whatever page you landed on. Do you understand how online advertising works at all? It doesn’t sound like it. 

So so much for your eavesdropping theory. 
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 44 of 77
    bigmac2 said:
    bitmod said:
    GG1 said:
    bitmod said:
    Smoke and mirrors. 

What you say is very plausible with Facebook, but iMessage? I doubt it, or like to doubt iMessage is doing this. Do you have proof of this regarding iMessage? or just anecdotal?
    Try it yourself. Text from iMessage about a location and that you are looking for a place to stay for a vacation in some location... then watch ads for that location start showing up. We've experienced this a few times now.
    It doesn't work for me, but again, i'm not using social media that can pull my interest from linked friends accounts.
    If you send a text from iMessage, and the recipient is also on iMessage, I suspect that the advertising effect may not come. Advertisers may not intercept your encrypted iMessage text messages.

However, if the recipient is not using iMessage, your text will go plain on the internet highway from your phone to your party's. There is no guarantee who may intercept it and sell it. Apple can't control who you send your text to. As long as your party is not on iMessage, you expose yourself by sending plain text messages.
  • Reply 45 of 77
    metrixmetrix Posts: 256member
    Again it is difficult to support these agencies especially when they want us to "think of the trafficking of children" when the CIA was involved in using pre-teen girls is project MK-Ultra. I'm going to stay on Apple side until they do something remotely as bad as that. 
  • Reply 46 of 77
    bigmac2bigmac2 Posts: 639member
    cincymac said:
    If you send a text from iMessage, and the recipient is also on iMessage, I suspect that the advertising effect may not come. Advertisers may not intercept your encrypted iMessage text messages.

However, if the recipient is not using iMessage, your text will go plain on the internet highway from your phone to your party's. There is no guarantee who may intercept it and sell it. Apple can't control who you send your text to. As long as your party is not on iMessage, you expose yourself by sending plain text messages.
    We both understand how iMessage vs other messaging service works.  I was debunking Bitmod assert.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 47 of 77
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    bitmod said:

Just stop.  You're in the same boat as UFO, 9/11, and faked moon landing conspiracy theorists.  I'm fully versed on the Snowden, NSA, CIA "revelations", but you're taking it to the next level.

Google and Facebook have an agreement via backend-advertisement.  If I do a google-search on Tylenol, guess what?  I get Tylenol ads in my Facebook feed.  Using Facebook on Safari or via the dedicated app is irrelevant.  

You want to avoid being tracked when not wearing your tinfoil hat?  Stop using Google, Facebook, and other 3rd-party "free" that provides a service because YOU are their product.  Don't try to shift blame to Apple as they have nothing to do with it.

Your iMessage theory doesn't hold one drop of water.  It's your own paranoia getting the best of you.  Anyone disagreeing with you with facts, people like you will simply resort to the tired "wake up man and look around you" nonsense.  You seem to have an agenda based on a false premise and even when clear, concise data is in front of you, you simply look the other way.  
    macplusplusStrangeDaysfastasleepcornchip
  • Reply 48 of 77
    YoSamCapsFanYoSamCapsFan Posts: 9unconfirmed, member
    eightzero said:
    This is easily handled. The US government simply passes a law requiring the owners of devices that employ encryption to provide the government with their passwords. Enforcement of the law is not Apple's job. 
    Clearly, you have no understanding of the 5th Amendment.
    fastasleep
  • Reply 49 of 77
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    bitmod said:

bigmac2 said:
    bitmod said:
    Smoke and mirrors. 

I hope you've got your tin foil hat!

First the NSA universal backdoor is a myth, yes they have tool they can injecte into phone with physical access.  But there is absolute no way Apple could hide this kind of backdoor without public knowledge and thoroughly describe by white hat hackers. 

This being said, even if the NSA can tap your phone, there is no interest for them to sale this information to Facebook for selling you Tylenol.  Facebook, Google and other internet giant got other way to find your points of interest from you and relative since you gave them all the infos they need by using free and ads sponsored services like Facebook, google, Gmail, Twitter, etc.

More, the youtube app was the main culprit in the batterie issue with iOS 11, Apple and Google has issue a report about it, search on the web.

If you don't want to be track, stop using free stuffs... You are not a Google and a Facebook consumer, for them you are their product they sold to advertiser. 

Yes a Myth... like Apple unequivocally denying they track location - then turns out they were all along and lied. 
    Then Apple unequivocally denying they have a back door for security agencies - then turns out they lied about that too.
    Then Apple unequivocally stating that meta data is anonymous - turns out they lied and it's not. 
    Then Apple unequivocally denying they directly sell your info to 3rd parties - then turns out they take it and sell your info to 3d parties through iAd - playing linguistics games. 
    And on and on... 
    Man, wake up. Pull you head out of your ass and start paying attention. You got shares in the company, great! But that's no reason to live in complete denial. 

You missed some very MAJOR points in my post... 
    1st - These ads are appearing from conversation in a household with no devices on or being used. As if they were listening to conversation.
    2nd - Try it yourself.
    3rd - You missed the point that we set out to prove the tinfoil hat conspiracy theorists wrong. But we have been able to replicate this phenomenon with random products. Not always, but enough for it to be difficult to call a coincidence. 

First, you made some statements of facts mind back those up with evidence, Apple never said they never did not do what you claimed, they always said any information they collect and possible share does not track back to you as an individual, it is anonymized. and do not point to the stupid software issue where it was found it was storing some location data on the phone, which never went to Apple and they fixed that a long time ago.

Next I talk around my phone all the time about lots of things and I can assure you the ads coming up had nothing to do with those conversation. To your point, I was sick over the holidays and talked to my wife about and which drugs would be best to use. Not a single medical remedy show up ads, just the stand stupid stuffs that always shows up. But then again I do not use facebook, any google products or Instagram and such. I do respect my own privacy and will not tried it to use a few product. I also will not email anyone who uses free email services like gmail or yahoo mail. My wife's brother-in-law used yahoo and his account was hack in one of the yahoo breaches and the issue stored everyone in the families email address in his yahoo account and now we all get spam since they stool his address book, and all the spam appears to originate from him yahoo account.

• Reply 50 of 77
    bitmod said:
    sflocal said:
    bitmod said:
    Smoke and mirrors. 

To think that there are people in real life that think the way you do.  Seriously.  Go get some help.
    Hate to shatter the tiny bubble you live in man, but PRISM is real. Patriot Act is real. Obama's blanket surveillance on citizens is real. 

http://appleinsider.com/articles/15/01/21/nsa-leaker-edward-snowden-refuses-to-use-apples-iphone-over-spying-concerns---report
    https://theintercept.com/2016/03/08/snowden-fbi-claim-that-only-apple-can-unlock-phone-is-bullshit/
    http://www.newsweek.com/edward-snowden-cautions-about-face-data-abuse-664131

This guy has been right about everything so far. Congressional reviews seem to back it all up. 

To think that there are people in real life that deny the truth the way you do. Seriously. Go get some help. 
    You do realize PRISM in no way indicated the companies even knew about it, only specific services had limited scope of visibility? For example: The timing of Apple entering the PRISM data availability was 2 months AFTER the "goto fail" bug was introduced into the code base and shipped. All accounts was this was a bad code update or a poorly done merge of the file. 2 months later, the NSA "found" the breach (might not have know what the cause was but they found the effect and learned to exploit it) and iOS was added to PRISM.

The problem with the Snowden leaks are they are incomplete and only provide a subset of the actual information.

This it the EXACT job of the NSA.  
    StrangeDaysfastasleep
  • Reply 51 of 77

bitmod said:
    The point is, you can strengthen encryption as much as you want - but if you design a back door and a key... 
    It only makes it more difficult for those without a key. 
    Apple (and all major tech companies) flat out denied any existence of such a key or door - then it turned out they were lying and had to admit as much when PRISM was exposed. 
    Then they lied about it only being 'Foreign' surveillance. 
    Lied again about the depth of Obama's spying on citizens.
    Remember that terrorists iphone that the FBI couldn't hack - but some mysterious company cracked Apple's uncrackable security in 5 min. 

Doesn't matter how much encryption Apple implements - they will always design a door with a key. 
    Smoke and mirrors. 
    Actually, everything you posted is conjecture and no proof. Saying the NSA was able to hack various systems does not prove collusion with any of the companies just the NSA is really smart and good at hacking (PS: This is their job).
  • Reply 52 of 77
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    bigmac2 said:
    bitmod said:
    Yes the ads appear in Facebook - have seen them appear as retargeted ads on websites as well. Facebook has been the most obvious platform. 

The question is, how did Facebook glean the information from conversations in a room - or text messages in iMessage? 
    We have reproduced the phenomenon with Tylenol, AirBnB - specific location, and Homedepo with a specific item.

Your story seams pretty shallow, any conversation in a room (Facebook room I suppose since iMessage doesn't have room concept) is within Facebook control.  Beside Apple products and service are not ads subsidies, Apple got absolute no gain to give away their consumer data to competition. 

No hang on.  I think he may be on to something. 

I just asked the missus if she’d seen the cat, and straight away, I kid you not – in walks the cat!

And this part will blow your mind: when I asked where the cat was, there was an iPhone on the coffee table SUPPOSEDLY SWITCHED OFF. 

Uh huh? Yeah? Mind blown, amIright??
    lkalliancetmayGG1StrangeDayssmiffy31muthuk_vanalingamtokyojimufastasleep
  • Reply 53 of 77
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,008member
    Well if the NSA is listening to me, I hope they've been entertained by the wide array of fart and burp sounds I make...
    airnerd
  • Reply 54 of 77
    bitmod said:
    bitmod said:
    Smoke and mirrors. 

You Googled about a fever and you run wild with speculation how Apple is browsing iMessages when you get ads for Tylenol. You are rich. If you Googled it, even the search results can have embedded trackers and if you clicked ANYTHING FB, Amazon, Google and a half dozen other ad trackers knew what you were talking about.

I do agree it can be freaky but it comes from ad based companies like FB, Amazon, SnapChat and Alphabet. I have seen it triggered by a friend with a gmail email account sending me an email. 
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 55 of 77
    GG1GG1 Posts: 483member
    bitmod said:
    GG1 said:
    bitmod said:
    Smoke and mirrors. 

What you say is very plausible with Facebook, but iMessage? I doubt it, or like to doubt iMessage is doing this. Do you have proof of this regarding iMessage? or just anecdotal?
    Try it yourself. Text from iMessage about a location and that you are looking for a place to stay for a vacation in some location... then watch ads for that location start showing up. We've experienced this a few times now.
    I tried a bit. Sent texts to myself about Hawaii. Searched for Hawaii on my iPhone (Bing search). A few hours later I checked ESPN, CNN, USA Today, and a few others on Safari. Nothing about Hawaii in any ad. Sure, it's anecdotal. I may check again later.

For the record, I don't use Facebook or other social media or digital assistants.
  • Reply 56 of 77
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    bitmod said:
    bitmod said:
    Smoke and mirrors. 

Jesus Christ. You Googled about a fever, there you go.  I 100% guarantee you Tylenol targets “fever” in their ad keyword bids. Even if Google didn’t sell you an ad, if you landed on another site that has Facebook’s API running (ie any site with a Like box or open graph features etc ie all of them), Facebook knows you came from a search for “fever” and/or the subject matter of whatever page you landed on. Do you understand how online advertising works at all? It doesn’t sound like it. 

So so much for your eavesdropping theory. 
    Yeah. Google and Facebook sure knows who you are.

If you go on any site with the Google tracking API, like go on B&H look for well, anything, you will soon see ads all over the place for those kind of things no matter what web site you are on.
    Same thing for web searchs, or sometimes, search boxes on web sites are in fact run through google search (cause they're too lazy to index their own site...), search anything there and you'll get hit with ads about those things all over the place.
  • Reply 57 of 77
    GG1GG1 Posts: 483member
    bitmod said:
    sflocal said:
    bitmod said:
    Smoke and mirrors. 

To think that there are people in real life that think the way you do.  Seriously.  Go get some help.
    Hate to shatter the tiny bubble you live in man, but PRISM is real. Patriot Act is real. Obama's blanket surveillance on citizens is real. 

http://appleinsider.com/articles/15/01/21/nsa-leaker-edward-snowden-refuses-to-use-apples-iphone-over-spying-concerns---report
    https://theintercept.com/2016/03/08/snowden-fbi-claim-that-only-apple-can-unlock-phone-is-bullshit/
    http://www.newsweek.com/edward-snowden-cautions-about-face-data-abuse-664131

This guy has been right about everything so far. Congressional reviews seem to back it all up. 

To think that there are people in real life that deny the truth the way you do. Seriously. Go get some help. 
    If you sling keywords like that in a search engine, no wonder you're looking over your shoulder. Or you're giving THEM a reason to track you.
    edited January 2018
  • Reply 58 of 77
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    bitmod said:

bigmac2 said:
    bitmod said:
    Smoke and mirrors. 

I hope you've got your tin foil hat!

First the NSA universal backdoor is a myth, yes they have tool they can injecte into phone with physical access.  But there is absolute no way Apple could hide this kind of backdoor without public knowledge and thoroughly describe by white hat hackers. 

This being said, even if the NSA can tap your phone, there is no interest for them to sale this information to Facebook for selling you Tylenol.  Facebook, Google and other internet giant got other way to find your points of interest from you and relative since you gave them all the infos they need by using free and ads sponsored services like Facebook, google, Gmail, Twitter, etc.

More, the youtube app was the main culprit in the batterie issue with iOS 11, Apple and Google has issue a report about it, search on the web.

If you don't want to be track, stop using free stuffs... You are not a Google and a Facebook consumer, for them you are their product they sold to advertiser. 

Yes a Myth... like Apple unequivocally denying they track location - then turns out they were all along and lied. 
    Then Apple unequivocally denying they have a back door for security agencies - then turns out they lied about that too.
    Then Apple unequivocally stating that meta data is anonymous - turns out they lied and it's not. 
    Then Apple unequivocally denying they directly sell your info to 3rd parties - then turns out they take it and sell your info to 3d parties through iAd - playing linguistics games. 
    And on and on... 
    Man, wake up. Pull you head out of your ass and start paying attention. You got shares in the company, great! But that's no reason to live in complete denial. 

You missed some very MAJOR points in my post... 
    1st - These ads are appearing from conversation in a household with no devices on or being used. As if they were listening to conversation.
    2nd - Try it yourself.
    3rd - You missed the point that we set out to prove the tinfoil hat conspiracy theorists wrong. But we have been able to replicate this phenomenon with random products. Not always, but enough for it to be difficult to call a coincidence. 

I always suspected people who ask others to pull their head out are actually having their head in deep shit hole themselves.

Lie.

Another lie.

More lies.

Conclusion, you live in a myth world, times to get your facts straight.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 59 of 77
    Sorry, but you can't use the term Evil Genius. It has been trademarked, and may be used only when referring to you-know-who.
  • Reply 60 of 77
    With comments like that from the FBI, and they wonder why congress et. al. has trust issues with the agency.
    edited January 2018