Apple features subscription apps offering free trials in new App Store section

Posted:
in iPhone
Apple recently published a new section to its iOS App Store that throws a spotlight on subscription-based apps offering free trials to new users, a move that plays into the company's wider push toward subscription pricing.

Seen above, the new "Try it for Free" subcategory appeared in the Apps section of the App Store this week and is currently limited to four apps 1Password, USA Today, Lake: Coloring Books and Panna: Video Recipes & Classes -- all of which have offered trials for some time.

Each app is displayed alongside a large icon of its respective subscription service. Apple lists a service's subscription option, like "annual membership" or "ad-free monthly," followed by a hyperlinked app title and button to start a free trial.

Tapping on the app name navigates to that title's dedicated App Store page, where users can find more information about available subscription options.

For apps that are not already installed on a device, selecting the "Free Trial" button triggers a subscription offer page that allows users to download and subscribe in one step. When an app is already installed, tapping that same button will open said title and take users directly to an in-app payments page.

For example, if a device owner was at one time a 1Password user, perhaps prior to the company's shift to subscription-based plans, tapping "Free Trial" opens the app's "Choose a Plan" page and triggers an App Store payment screen. Users can verify the purchase to start a free trial.

Apple has been urging developers to take advantage of expanded subscription pricing tools for well over a year, a strategy that can in some cases goose revenue while increasing platform stickiness.

In 2016, the company began taking a smaller 15 percent cut of in-app subscriptions maintained for over one year. More recently, Apple in December introduced a new feature that allows developers to offer discounted introductory pricing or limited-time free trials on auto-renewable subscriptions.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Yeh,  Thanks A Lot Apple!   /s
    I almost got nailed with that last week when my grandson on my FamilyShare selected the "Free Trial" option.  I just, by chance was able to spot the two subscriptions that were going to start up (and charge my card) in a matter of days.  One of them carried a $99 subscription.

I might have gotten a pre-warning if I had had "Ask to buy" turned on.   But that is such a weak system I had to turn it off.  (It simply pops up an Apple notification and, if you miss it, it disappears completely and forever.  So, when it pops up you have to stop whatever you may be doing to respond and approve the item).

The Family Share is great idea by Apple -- but it's implementation was sloppy and this just makes it worse.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    I hope Apple sooner or later will find a way to make the app store subscription based. Just like Apple Music: pay monthly, download whatever you want. Developers are paid by download/usage.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    I almost got nailed with that last week when my grandson on my FamilyShare selected the "Free Trial" option.  I just, by chance was able to spot the two subscriptions that were going to start up (and charge my card) in a matter of days.  One of them carried a $99 subscription.

I might have gotten a pre-warning if I had had "Ask to buy" turned on.   But that is such a weak system I had to turn it off.  (It simply pops up an Apple notification and, if you miss it, it disappears completely and forever.  So, when it pops up you have to stop whatever you may be doing to respond and approve the item).

The Family Share is great idea by Apple -- but it's implementation was sloppy and this just makes it worse.
    So you turned off the notification and then blamed Apple. 

Right. Got it. 

If you didn’t have time to check then just select ‘no’ and get him to buy again when… You know what? Forget it. Do what you want. 
    jony0
  • Reply 4 of 5
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Rayz2016 said:

So you turned off the notification and then blamed Apple. 

Right. Got it. 

If you didn’t have time to check then just select ‘no’ and get him to buy again when… You know what? Forget it. Do what you want. 
    Oh!   LOL...  Typical troll...  You read the parts you want, (I turned off the notification), but for some reason aren't able to see (but are able to spin) the parts you don't like (such as I turned them off because they don't work well and create more problems than they solve)....
    jony0
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Other than for media content, subscriptions are of the devil. I want to buy an app and own it- not have someone scratching my wallet every month for $_.