'Star Wars: The Last Jedi' director kept script safe from leaking with 'air-gapped' MacBoo...

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 31
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    jungmark said:
    He should have let the script leak. Perhaps he could have received some help for the plot and character arcs. 
    But but but but “empowered” purple-haired woman = good storytelling!
    I didn't have a problem with the Admiral. I had a problem with a certain xwing pilot's reaction and actions. He pretty much decimated the Resistance. 
  • Reply 22 of 31
    jungmark said:
    I didn't have a problem with the Admiral. I had a problem with a certain xwing pilot's reaction and actions. He pretty much decimated the Resistance. 
    Yeah, why couldn’t they just… TELL him the plan? It’s baffling.
    redraider11
  • Reply 23 of 31
    aegeanaegean Posts: 164member
    Smart move from a security perspective, but I sure hope he was backing up that MBA regularly. No Time Machine backup if you're staying off the network.
    You don't need to go online to do TM backup. It can be backed up on Time Capsule with encryption just by plugging the ethernet cord, you are still not connected to the Internet and make sure that do not connect your TC to the internet and that's the whole intent. But I think they might have backed it up on external thunderbolt drive, or possibly on USB flash drive. As long as you are not connected to the internet, you are good.
    edited January 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 31
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    jungmark said:
    Yeah, why couldn’t they just… TELL him the plan? It’s baffling.
    Presumably, the same reason why when underway I didn't know where in the world specifically we were after a certain latitude and longitude? Need to know.
  • Reply 25 of 31
    jungmark said:
    wozwoz said:
    Must agree there - Rian Johnson has still phailed to explain how the Empire can track all the ships in a Rebel flotilla through hyperspace ... but cannot even catch up with them (in the same time-frame that Finn can travel across the galaxy, play roulette, go to jail, ride a camel, and get back). The plot is embarrassing. Indeed, there is a petition by Star Wars fans to have Disney strike it from the official Star Wars canon (currently 85,000 votes): https://www.change.org/p/the-walt-disney-company-have-disney-strike-star-wars-episode-viii-from-the-official-canon
    I'm OK with the hyperspace tracker. But like you said, if Finn and Rose could jump to a different star system and back, why couldn't the First Order get backup to cut the Resistance off?

The plots for TFA and TLJ are horrible. 
    I have no official confirmation on this, but I'm theorizing that the tracker system was limited to two ships (the tracked and the tracker) because of quantum entanglement.
  • Reply 26 of 31
    linkmanlinkman Posts: 1,035member
    If they think air gapping a computer is 100% protection from leaks, they better think again. They should talk to the Iranian government about Stuxnet.
  • Reply 27 of 31
    wozwozwozwoz Posts: 263member
    I have no official confirmation on this, but I'm theorizing that the tracker system was limited to two ships (the tracked and the tracker) because of quantum entanglement.
    If so, why didn't the remnant of tea ladies (sorry, Rebels) just transport into another ship, and hyperspace from that one?!?  Or make each ship in the flotilla of Rebel tea ladies each brew their own cuppa on their own ship, and send each ship off to a random different destination in hyperspace --- how would the Empire follow all of them with 1 tracker?  Makes no sense. [ We've spent more time thinking about the non sequitur plot here than whoever wrote the plot ] 
  • Reply 28 of 31
    krawallkrawall Posts: 162member
    I didn't get why the First Order could not catch up with them until they ran out of fuel. I understand that their shields would be down if they have no more power to run them, but I've understood from Newton's laws that an object will continue it's momentum until a force imparts against it. It would have been impossible to "slow down" after they ran out of fuel... 

Then, if they knew all it takes is a suicide action from a single ship, and so many ships have been evacuated and left behind (where they simply stopped dead in space like a boat in the water although as explained above is impossible) why not put them on a collision course against the destroyers.

I've signed the petition.

• Reply 29 of 31
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,316member
    jungmark said:
    wozwoz said:
    Must agree there - Rian Johnson has still phailed to explain how the Empire can track all the ships in a Rebel flotilla through hyperspace ... but cannot even catch up with them (in the same time-frame that Finn can travel across the galaxy, play roulette, go to jail, ride a camel, and get back). The plot is embarrassing. Indeed, there is a petition by Star Wars fans to have Disney strike it from the official Star Wars canon (currently 85,000 votes): https://www.change.org/p/the-walt-disney-company-have-disney-strike-star-wars-episode-viii-from-the-official-canon
    I'm OK with the hyperspace tracker. But like you said, if Finn and Rose could jump to a different star system and back, why couldn't the First Order get backup to cut the Resistance off?

The plots for TFA and TLJ are horrible. 
    I'm fairly sure they said exactly that in the film.
    fastasleep
  • Reply 30 of 31
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,316member
    krawall said:
    I didn't get why the First Order could not catch up with them until they ran out of fuel. I understand that their shields would be down if they have no more power to run them, but I've understood from Newton's laws that an object will continue it's momentum until a force imparts against it. It would have been impossible to "slow down" after they ran out of fuel... 

Then, if they knew all it takes is a suicide action from a single ship, and so many ships have been evacuated and left behind (where they simply stopped dead in space like a boat in the water although as explained above is impossible) why not put them on a collision course against the destroyers.

I've signed the petition.

If Newtons laws of physics applied in Star wars ships would come in to land engines backwards.
  • Reply 31 of 31

I haven't yet watched The Last Jedi, so I don't know what the backlash is, but seems like an ESB kind of twist was attempted.

The last time they tried that, on RotJ, Star Wars made (almost) incest cannon forever!!