Apple apparently shifting more MacBook orders to Foxconn with no plans for a major update ...

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware
In a report from DigiTimes alleging Apple is sending more of its MacBook Pro orders to assembly partner Foxconn, it is also suggests Apple is not planning a major update to the notebook line in 2018 at all, though the claim does not completely discount potential changes to the line altogether.

Upstream supply chain sources of DigiTimes claim Apple will be shifting a major portion of its MacBook orders to Foxconn in 2018, instead of providing the majority of its orders to Quanta Computer. Foxconn is apparently expected to start fulfilling the new orders with mass MacBook Pro shipments in the second quarter, according to the sources.

Even though Foxconn will allegedly see more MacBook orders this year, it is believed Quanta will continue to be Apple's biggest MacBook supplier for the year. DigiTimes' research indicates that Quanta has shipped four times as many MacBooks as Foxconn over the last five years, with Quanta taking 79.5 percent of orders in 2017 compared to Foxconn's 20.5 percent.

Foxconn has reportedly been aggressive in attaining more MacBook orders from Apple over the last few years, offering highly attractive quotes to tempt Apple its way. Signs its tactics were working surfaced in late 2017, after Apple started outsourcing some of its MacBook assembly to a Foxconn plant in Shenzhen, China.

Midway through the report, the sources make the claim that Apple has no plan for a major upgrade to its MacBook product line. This is apparently used as a justification to shift mass production orders to Foxconn, with the ultimate result of reducing costs and production risk.

While the report may be right about a lack of a major MacBook Pro in the near future, considering the four-year gaps between the second, third, and fourth generations, it is still entirely plausible that Apple could make considerable changes to the internals while keeping the main chassis of the hardware largely unchanged. Apple does typically refresh its lines with new components during the generation, adding new processors and other upgrades to the mix.

It is arguable that Apple has more incentive to update its notebook lines sooner than later. Revealed earlier this month, the Meltdown and Spectre chip flaws included in Intel processors could warrant a change in chip to a new model constructed without the flaws, which pose a security risk to consumers and businesses alike.

Apple may also want to adopt Intel's new Titan Ridge chipset for Thunderbolt 3, an upgrade that would enable DisplayPort 1.4 connections, allow 8K screens to run at 30Hz without compression, and a fallback to USB 3.1 speeds if a connection does not involve a Thunderbolt 3 host.

There is even the outside chance of Apple adopting a whole new type of processor. Intel recently launched G-series processors that combine an Intel CPU with an AMD Radeon RX Vega M GPU, effectively providing all the power of a discrete GPU on one physical chip while saving space and weight.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Not unexpected “news” considering Intel’s timeline for processors that support LPDDR4 RAM, which may be pushed back to correct the current HW flaws before production.
    tmaychiadoozydozen
  • Reply 2 of 25
    All I want is a MacBook Pro with more than 16GB of RAM, and I will happily replace my mid-2015 MacBook Pro with one this year. I love the mid-2015 MacBook Pro, but having 32GB or more RAM would be awesome.
  • Reply 3 of 25
    All I want is a MacBook Pro with more than 16GB of RAM…
    Done! You can get up to 16GiB.
    macxpress
  • Reply 4 of 25
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Soli said:
    Not unexpected “news” considering Intel’s timeline for processors that support LPDDR4 RAM, which may be pushed back to correct the current HW flaws before production.
    Well, I wouldn’t call a new processor a major update.
  • Reply 5 of 25
    lkrupp said:
    Soli said:
    Well, I wouldn’t call a new processor a major update.
    As a customer, it depends on your outlook. From a tech standpoint, I can see that processor being ta demarcation point to update the MBP aesthetics.
  • Reply 6 of 25
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Internals(CPU/GPU,BT5,etc) will be upgraded soon as Intel has better(8th,9th Gen) processors to offer for the Macbook Pro. Chasis might remain same but hope Apple adds/offers the same 4 type-C USB ports to non-touch strip 13" MBP.. Not every MBP user likes touch strip version. I rather pay for increased SSD, RAM than touch strip.
    curtis hannah
  • Reply 7 of 25
    gustavgustav Posts: 827member
    Soli said:
    As hard as people try, the GiB, MiB terminology is never going to catch on. It's just too awkward.

doozydozen
  • Reply 8 of 25
    kpomkpom Posts: 660member
    I’d guess that the 13” MacBook Pro might get a minor update to the 8th generation chip that adds a quad-Core option. There is no update in 2018 to the Y-Class chip used in the 12” MacBook. 
  • Reply 9 of 25
    Shame, would have nice to see an update to a keyboard that doesn't clog at the mere sight of dust and doesn't require a whole top case and battery if a key mechanism has broken, or maybe a magsafe connector, that allows you to see if your computer is charging or fully charged from across the room and also doesn't require the right spec USB C cable to charge. A battery indicator is nice, so you don't have to open the screen to see the battery level. I also wouldn't mind a status light, so you can see if the damn thing has actually switched on. Happy memories of actual useful features not sacrificed for "as thin as possible" mindset.
    avon b7
  • Reply 10 of 25
    mtbnutmtbnut Posts: 199member
    Well, looks like I'll keep my MBPr 15 (Early 2013) for another year. Apple's portable business is really making it easy for me to keep my current system, offering not a thing that makes me want to upgrade. 

edited January 2018
  • Reply 11 of 25
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    mtbnut said:
    Well, looks like I'll keep my MBPr 15 (Early 2013) for another year. Apple's portable business is really making it easy for me to keep my current system, offering not a thing that makes me want to upgrade. 

I’m sure Tim Cook is crying a river of tears and mopping it up with his bonus cheque. 
    macxpress
  • Reply 12 of 25
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    All I want is a MacBook Pro with more than 16GB of RAM, and I will happily replace my mid-2015 MacBook Pro with one this year. I love the mid-2015 MacBook Pro, but having 32GB or more RAM would be awesome.
    You must run more at once than this guy who couldn’t get it to page when doing an excessive amount of work:

https://www.zdziarski.com/blog/?p=6355
    Soliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 25
    DuhSesameDuhSesame Posts: 1,278member
    Shame, would have nice to see an update to a keyboard that doesn't clog at the mere sight of dust and doesn't require a whole top case and battery if a key mechanism has broken, or maybe a magsafe connector, that allows you to see if your computer is charging or fully charged from across the room and also doesn't require the right spec USB C cable to charge. A battery indicator is nice, so you don't have to open the screen to see the battery level. I also wouldn't mind a status light, so you can see if the damn thing has actually switched on. Happy memories of actual useful features not sacrificed for "as thin as possible" mindset.
    I think "no major updates" means "not a new generation", not "no refining".
    edited January 2018 curtis hannah
  • Reply 14 of 25
    A hex-core (or sooner the octa-core 10nm chip) will required a redesigned thermal system, not to mention that the chipset isn't compitatble with Skylake/Kaby Lake. Vega is also adding HBM on a single package too.  The logic board have to be redesigned.

That said, I wonder what would Apple do with the "$999 option". The MacBook Air is long obsolete, yet there's not a solid mid-tier laptop in their current line-up.
    edited January 2018
  • Reply 15 of 25
    schlackschlack Posts: 720member
    confusing terminology, but wouldn't expect a "major" update until 2020 considering they were recently redesigned at the end of 2016
    curtis hannah
  • Reply 16 of 25
    schlack said:
    confusing terminology, but wouldn't expect a "major" update until 2020 considering they were recently redesigned at the end of 2016
    I agree, we might see the non pro MacBook have a major update this year, but certainly not the pro.

curious what people think a new MacBook might bring? Touchbar, 2 TB3 ports(or at least the USB C upgraded to one) and a $1000 option are my guesses.
  • Reply 17 of 25
    schlack said:
    I agree, we might see the non pro MacBook have a major update this year, but certainly not the pro.

curious what people think a new MacBook might bring? Touchbar, 2 TB3 ports(or at least the USB C upgraded to one) and a $1000 option are my guesses.

I'd like to see:
    1). A non-P3 Retina display, might as well get 500cd/m brightness.
    2). 15W quad-core U series processor
    3). Overall dimension similar to the MacBook, just larger and have a stronger thermal system.
    4). Add the Touch Bar as well.
    edited January 2018 curtis hannah
  • Reply 18 of 25
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    gustav said:
    Soli said:
    As hard as people try, the GiB, MiB terminology is never going to catch on. It's just too awkward.

Nor should it.   It was a bit of terminology implemented by ignorant people to lazy to understand the technology involved.   Frankly it can be describe as overreach by standards institutions and governments.
  • Reply 19 of 25
    wizard69 said:
    gustav said:
    Soli said:

Nor should it.   It was a bit of terminology implemented by ignorant people to lazy to understand the technology involved.   Frankly it can be describe as overreach by standards institutions and governments.
    Ignorance is believeing that different measurements should have the same exact terms merely because they’re to lazy to change a bad habit. Overreach happened when companies interchangeably used the same term for a completely different measurement.

Seriously, your approach to science and math is pathetic and shameful. You're basically stating that the yard and meter should use the same term because they're close enough in length. It doesn't get more ignorant than that. We've had rockets blow up because of mismatched imperial and metric units—and those use different terms!—and NASA has been criticized for still using Imperial units, so you're not alone in your stupidity about being afraid of accuracy if it means even the smallest effort to correct bad behaviour on your part.
    edited January 2018
  • Reply 20 of 25
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member

Why exactly do you want 32GB of RAM? What are you doing that uses 32GB of RAM on a mobile device?