Toyota concedes, reveals plans to launch first cars with Apple CarPlay

Comments

• Reply 21 of 41
    Yep...took out the stock setup in my '17 Camry, put in a Kenwood head unit when an aftermarket firm was able to make a faceplate that eliminated all the Factory knobs/switches but looked exactly the factory part. It allowed the Kenwood unit to look factory....now my iPhone X plugs right in in the USB port in the glove box....works great! Glad Toyota wised up after all going back to CarPlay they never should have left in the first place....Love the looks of the new Accord though....Honda engineering is pretty damn good though...how many business Jets have Toyota built?
    edited January 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 41
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    tzeshan said:
    tzeshan said:
    I still wish Toyota can implement wireless CarPlay rather than wired. There are a lot nuisance with wired CarPlay. Overtime you entered into the car you need to pull out iPhone from pocket and plug in a wire. 
    My question is does CarPlay not requiring FaceID every time you use it? 
    CarPlay does not require Face ID.  I seem to remember authorizing CarPlay use without unlocking the first time I used my iPhone X.  Now I just plug in my phone and go, everything works as expected.
    Isn't this a security issue? If your car and phone is stolen, the thief can use your phone without unlocking.
    I suppose, in a limited fashion. The iPhone is still locked and to use it requires unlocking. Accessing is via CarPlay is limited to CarPlay compatible apps like Music, Maps, Messages and a few others. Siri is also accessible so maybe they could use Siri to find out some stuff. But this isn’t something that really concerns me. 
    It is good that the Home screen is not displayed. So you still need to unlock the phone if you want to use the phone directly? But CarPlay will be on continuously? 
  • Reply 23 of 41
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,311member
    My reading of an Automotive Journalist's comment is that there is no Android Auto planned by Toyota:

watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 41
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,911member
    tyler82 said:
    Ugly cars, worst drivers on the roads.
    This may be changing, but for a long time, there were a lot of little old ladies buying Camrys - a good, reliable, boring car. I noticed a while ago that any time there was someone driving 5-10 MPH under the speed limit, they were driving a Camry, a Buick or a Prius.

It's about time Toyota figured this out - I'll take the non-touch screen CarPlay interface in my Audi any day over the crappy interface my daughter's camry has, even with the buggy iOS 11 version. Wireless would be nice, but realistically, I like charging my phone in the car anyway, so I don't know that the wireless option would mean that much to me. I wonder if this means Lexus will get it too?
    edited January 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 41
    tzeshan said:
    tzeshan said:
    tzeshan said:
    I still wish Toyota can implement wireless CarPlay rather than wired. There are a lot nuisance with wired CarPlay. Overtime you entered into the car you need to pull out iPhone from pocket and plug in a wire. 
    My question is does CarPlay not requiring FaceID every time you use it? 
    CarPlay does not require Face ID.  I seem to remember authorizing CarPlay use without unlocking the first time I used my iPhone X.  Now I just plug in my phone and go, everything works as expected.
    Isn't this a security issue? If your car and phone is stolen, the thief can use your phone without unlocking.
    I suppose, in a limited fashion. The iPhone is still locked and to use it requires unlocking. Accessing is via CarPlay is limited to CarPlay compatible apps like Music, Maps, Messages and a few others. Siri is also accessible so maybe they could use Siri to find out some stuff. But this isn’t something that really concerns me. 
    It is good that the Home screen is not displayed. So you still need to unlock the phone if you want to use the phone directly? But CarPlay will be on continuously? 
    Correct. CarPlay continuously but if I need to, say, go to a website I have to unlock my phone. That’s something I’ll do while getting gas. The things that are available in CarPlay are activities you would do while driving like phone calls or music. CarPlay doesn’t have Safari or Mail, that sort of thing. 
  • Reply 26 of 41
    I never even considered Toyota in 2016, when I went shopping for a new vehicle. Strictly because of their brain dead attitude about CarPlay. Ended up with a 2017 Ford Escape and I love CarPlay!
    So, you sacrificed reliability, low maint.costs and high resale value for an infotainment system... it is so much more ironic that in your very own post you are talking about brain dead... 😖
  • Reply 27 of 41
    I never even considered Toyota in 2016, when I went shopping for a new vehicle. Strictly because of their brain dead attitude about CarPlay. Ended up with a 2017 Ford Escape and I love CarPlay!
    So, you sacrificed reliability, low maint.costs and high resale value for an infotainment system... it is so much more ironic that in your very own post you are talking about brain dead... 😖
    To be fair, people make purchasing decisions that don’t consider reliability, maintenance costs or resale value all the time.  There are other things to consider, especially when purchasing a car.  I know several people who have complained about the poor reliability of their BMWs and how much it costs to repair them, but still replace them with another BWM because those aren’t the things driving (no pun intended) their decision.  If CarPlay is one of the things someone is looking for why shouldn’t it be a factor?
    watto_cobranetmage
  • Reply 28 of 41
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    mbenz1962 said:
    I have been a Toyota owner since 1999.  I only ever owned one car since then that wasn't a Toyota, and boy was I sorry.  I have to say while their Infotainment systems aren't the worst I've ever seen, they are nothing compared to CarPlay.  I have to admit that their lack of support nearly caused me to dip my toe into the world of autos that are not Toyota once again.  I just bought a Toyota in December, but it was a close decision between it and a comparable Ford.  If the Ford model year I was looking at had have had CarPlay, I would have bought it.  It was really that close.  Toyota came very close to loosing a 20 year customer because they decided they didn't want to support a feature that is sweeping the car industry.  I wonder how many other customers they did eventually loose (even if only for the "current" purchase) based on Infotainment offerings.  They must know or have a pretty good estimate and hence this announcement.
    I agree.
    I'm going to need a car in the next year or so (depending).  I've been looking around -- but excluded Toyota.   Even though the Corolla may be my perfect car, I wouldn't be tied down to Toyota's audio systems...   I'll need to put them back onto the list...
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 41
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    So, you sacrificed reliability, low maint.costs and high resale value for an infotainment system... it is so much more ironic that in your very own post you are talking about brain dead... ߘ榬t;/div>
    Buying a Ford Escape over a Toyota isn't sacrificing reliability. I've owed several Toyota's over the years and had nothing but issues with both. Never had an issue with any Ford I've owned. Ford has even been more reliable for me over BMW's I've owned in the past.
    edited January 2018 watto_cobranetmage
  • Reply 30 of 41
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    airnerd said:
    mbenz1962 said:
    I have been a Toyota owner since 1999.  I only ever owned one car since then that wasn't a Toyota, and boy was I sorry.  I have to say while their Infotainment systems aren't the worst I've ever seen, they are nothing compared to CarPlay.  I have to admit that their lack of support nearly caused me to dip my toe into the world of autos that are not Toyota once again.  I just bought a Toyota in December, but it was a close decision between it and a comparable Ford.  If the Ford model year I was looking at had have had CarPlay, I would have bought it.  It was really that close.  Toyota came very close to loosing a 20 year customer because they decided they didn't want to support a feature that is sweeping the car industry.  I wonder how many other customers they did eventually loose (even if only for the "current" purchase) based on Infotainment offerings.  They must know or have a pretty good estimate and hence this announcement.
    Switched from the 4runner line to the Pilot line like an idiot, and regret it every. single. day.  It still runs well, but feels cheap and has zero dealer support for an issue they have admitted they know is an issue and sell a part to fix.  So Honda is dead to me, toyota will get me back soon enough.

Gotta wait to see what the new Bronco really looks like though.
    I'm pretty interested in the Bronco as well. I know it's going to be on the global Ranger and Everest platform. I saw a bunch of Everest's when I was in South Africa over the summer. They are pretty nice. My guess is we won't see the unveiling until the LA Auto Show at the end of the year. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 41
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    And here I am still waiting for BMW to adopt Carplay instead of their clunky 'joystick' navigation, ugh.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 41
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,911member
    There are other good, reliable cars on the market. It all depends on what factors are important to you when buying the car. 
    netmage
  • Reply 33 of 41
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,275member
    Great news, now I can add Toyota to the list of manufacturers I might buy my next car from. Yes, CarPlay (and hybrid or electric) are the two TOP priorities in what I'm looking for in a new car. Toyota wasn't even a possibility until now.
  • Reply 34 of 41
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    I knew this was coming. Toyota and everyone else in their stupid consortium could never compete against Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. Both are the norm so I don't know why Toyota thought they could reinvent the wheel and make a better wheel. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 41
    rarerare Posts: 27member
    mbenz1962 said:
    I agree.
    I'm going to need a car in the next year or so (depending).  I've been looking around -- but excluded Toyota.   Even though the Corolla may be my perfect car, I wouldn't be tied down to Toyota's audio systems...   I'll need to put them back onto the list...
    If it's not already on your list, I recommend taking a look at the Hyundai Elantra. We just replaced my wife's 30-year-old (!) Corolla with a 2018 Elantra and absolutely love it. We've been shopping on and off for a new car for an embarrassingly high number of years. At first we assumed we would get another Toyota, as both her car and my same vintage 1988 Corolla SR-5 coupe, which we still have, have been extremely reliable cars. We looked at the Corolla and the Camry through multiple generations (2012 Camry redesign, 2014 uglified Corolla redesign, 2015 Camry "facelift", 2018 Camry redesign). They all had things we liked, but but too many things we didn't like. We also rented quite a few other makes and models to try them out (my "best-designed instrument panel" award goes to the 2016 Malibu).

And then, about a year ago, I mentioned to the service advisor at our local dealership that we were thinking about replacing my wife's car. He said, "I know you guys are Toyota people, but you might want to look at the Hyundai." A few weeks later, I happened to rent a Hyundai Sonata Hybrid and was very impressed. Probably would have bought one like it except that it was too big for us. But the Elantra was the perfect size, and with the 2017 redesign, Hyundai really upped their game. We rented one on our summer vacation and liked it, and last fall bought a new 2018 Elantra Limited with the Ultimate package--i.e. the top of the line Elantra.

It is amazing how many features it has that were formerly available only on luxury cars. Of course, many manufacturers are bringing such features down to their smaller or less expensive cars, but it's still impressive. Features like dual automatic climate control, power driver seat with 2-position memory, dynamic radar cruise control, HomeLink controls, BlueLink (with which I can lock, unlock, and start the car from anywhere with an app on my phone), proximity key, and of course CarPlay (not necessarily a "luxury" feature but one that was a "must have" on my list).

I am also very impressed with the overall design and usability of the car. Hyundai has gone from being a "cheap" car to where Toyota was at its best, and surpassed them. Meanwhile, I am very unimpressed and disappointed with where Toyota has gone lately in terms of design. We just rented a 2018 Camry this weekend, and didn't like it at all. Oh, it was okay, but compared to our Elantra, let's just say we are now very spoiled. We're talking about taking more driving trips again just because we enjoy the car so much!

I probably sound like a shill for Hyundai, but seriously, I'm just a very, very happy customer. This car checked off almost everything on my very picky list as well as some things that weren't on the list, and while I have thought of a few minor improvements I would like to see, this car is nearly perfect for us.

chasm said:
    Great news, now I can add Toyota to the list of manufacturers I might buy my next car from. Yes, CarPlay (and hybrid or electric) are the two TOP priorities in what I'm looking for in a new car. Toyota wasn't even a possibility until now.
    Not sure what size car you're looking for, but as I mentioned above I was very impressed with the Hyundai Sonata Hybrid. Besides an overall excellent design usability-wise, it is the only hybrid car I'm aware of that has an actual geared transmission rather than a CVT. A hybrid that you can downshift? Yes, please!

The Sonata was larger than we wanted, but the deal-breaker for me that in order to increase trunk space and allow for fold-down rear seats (another unusual feature for a hybrid), the battery is in the space normally taken by the spare tire. Thus, there is no spare tire, just a patch kit. We sometimes travel to remote places with few people and no cell service, so I wanted more repair options than just a patch kit.
  • Reply 36 of 41
    I have a 2015 Toyota 4Runner and the Entune system and software is horrible. For Christmas I bought a Kenwood DMX7704S and had it professionally installed. If I want music from my iPhone the Bluetooth setup is perfect. I can change Playlists, play albums or go by artist. The iPhone works for telephone calls as well. When I plug in I have the rest of CarPlay available including audio texts. All that for just less than $1000. 
  • Reply 37 of 41
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    When Toyota is so behind other car manufacturers supporting CarPlay, best they should do is bang up job offering wireless carplay support and tighter,seamless integration with there infotainment system.
  • Reply 38 of 41
    I have CarPlay in my car, and it's not wireless...it's a pain having to plug it in every time I get in and out. I never use unless it's a long trip.

Glad I have it but wish it was wireless.

Best.

Likewise. I only use my phone in-car for Bluetooth music playback and rarely use CarPlay due to the difficulty in getting the right cable attached to the nearly Hidden port inside a change slot. Car companies have absolutely no idea how people use their products in the real world (or their engineers make design decisions based on cloudy marketing data).
  • Reply 39 of 41
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    I have CarPlay in my car, and it's not wireless...it's a pain having to plug it in every time I get in and out. I never use unless it's a long trip.

Glad I have it but wish it was wireless.

Best.

Ugh...its just so hard to plug that damn cable in. I mean gosh...its just push a cord into the phone. I plug my phone in every single time I get into the car. Its not a big deal. It also charges as it plays. I don't have CarPlay, but uConnect recognizes my phone so I can play music from it. 
  • Reply 40 of 41
    e500e500 Posts: 8member
    Finally, they see the light. Now about the fugly front end design language.......