China adds to government pressure on Apple over iPhone slowdowns

Comments

• Reply 21 of 101
    ClarityToSeeClarityToSee Posts: 34unconfirmed, member
            A lot of the fanboys here feel an uncontrollable urge to jump to Apple’s rescue unconsciously either because they haven’t had the opportunity to experience the slowdown and associated glitchiness themselves OR because they replace their phones too fast to even be bothered by this issue OR because they are willing to overlook this issue because of Apple’s record so far of being the best in being environmentally friendly OR because they feel that they are supporting humanity go in the right direction by supporting a company that operates on a morally high ground in general whether it be by protecting consumer data impartially or protecting the environment. And I am not disputing or invalidating any of the above reasons. They are all valid and genuinely deserve praise. 

However, I will make the critique where it is justifiably due. I was so frustrated with my iPhone one day that I wanted to smash it against the wall and never look back? Why you ask? Because it got so slow that it was like watching paint dry on the wall. And it didn’t shut off at 2% to save the internals like someone here mentioned but rather it shut off 
    randomly at anything, even at 90% or 80%. One time I got stuck on the side of the road in a wind storm with power outage in the area with a broken car and I couldn’t make a single phone call to a tow truck or to my spouse to save my life because it got so glitchy and slow. I randomly had to ask for an Android phone who a stranger walking by happened to own to make a phone call. You can imagine why I am so upset at Apple over this battery issue. This was never an issue with my previous iPhones where I noticed the battery draining too fast and I just had the battery replaced. Simple as that. But this time with the IPhone 6, it was a complete disaster. And I didn’t know to expect phone shutting down at 80% or 50% or something else. And from what I hear this is going to be a common practice by Apple for all IPhones starting with iPhone 6. This is going to be a nightmare, God forbid if you ever got stuck with a little older iPhone in your pocket, and the same thing happened to you that happened to me, especially with climate change and colder winters, I will pray for you. 
    edited January 2018 jume
  • Reply 22 of 101
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
            A lot of the fanboys here feel an uncontrollable urge to jump to Apple’s rescue unconsciously either because they haven’t had the opportunity to experience the slowdown and associated glitchiness themselves OR because they replace their phones too fast to even be bothered by this issue OR because they are willing to overlook this issue because of Apple’s record so far of being the best in being environmentally friendly OR because they feel that they are supporting humanity go in the right direction by supporting a company that operates on a morally high ground in general whether it be by protecting consumer data impartially or protecting the environment. And I am not disputing or invalidating any of the above reasons. They are all valid and genuinely deserve praise. 

However, I will make the critique where it is justifiably due. I was so frustrated with my iPhone one day that I wanted to smash it against the wall and never look back? Why you ask? Because it got so slow that it was like watching paint dry on the wall. And it didn’t shut off at 2% to save the internals like someone here mentioned but rather it shut off 
    randomly at anything, even at 90% or 80%. One time I got stuck on the side of the road in a wind storm with power outage in the area with a broken car and I couldn’t make a single phone call to a tow truck or to my spouse to save my life because it got so glitchy and slow. I randomly had to ask for an Android phone who a stranger walking by happened to own to make a phone call. You can imagine why I am so upset at Apple over this battery issue. This was never an issue with my previous iPhones where I noticed the battery draining too fast and I just had the battery replaced. Simple as that. But this time with the IPhone 6, it was a complete disaster. And I didn’t know to expect phone shutting down at 80% or 50% or something else. And from what I hear this is going to be a common practice by Apple for all IPhones starting with iPhone 6. This is going to be a nightmare, God forbid if you ever got stuck with a little older iPhone in your pocket, and the same thing happened to you that happened to me, especially with climate change and colder winters, I will pray for you. 
    Anyone who uses fanboy so liberally is not interested in any honest  discussion and thus I’ll assume out of hand you are a piece if crap troll and flush your so called argument out of hand got that huh 
    JWSCStrangeDaysGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 23 of 101
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    Sometime government does such thing to show public that they are equally concern with people and if possible extract some money. This debate will die down.
    edited January 2018
  • Reply 24 of 101
    jdw said:
    Even though such would be going against what Apple normally does, they could please everybody with a simply Preference setting:

ON = Slow my phone as my battery ages so I get more life out of my battery.

OFF = Allow my phone to suddenly and randomly shut off as the battery ages.

It really is that simple.

I'd rather have user replaceable batteries. I'll toss old batteries, have endless power and DO NOT CARE if my phone is a bit thicker or heavier.

ClarityToSee
  • Reply 25 of 101
    Also premium priced iPhoneX doesn't feel that premium at all and it's full of usability quirks. For the most expensive product in it's niche you would not expect that.

There should be more pressure on Apple. They need to step up their game and improve!

Total agreement from an Apple fanboy since the Apple ][

ClarityToSee
  • Reply 26 of 101
    Anyone who uses fanboy so liberally is not interested in any honest  discussion and thus I’ll assume out of hand you are a piece if crap troll and flush your so called argument out of hand got that huh 
    I am not a troll. It is appalling to me that some people here like Foggyhill are so egotistical, arrogant and self absorbed that so many people and governments raising concerns all over the world are all like TROLLS to him and refuses to heed any validity to these claims out of self defense, ego preservation and mental and emotional insecurities. It’s like hundreds of millions of people complaining are falling on deaf ears here. It’s not me with the issue. It’s you! Deal with it. Put your grown-up pants on!
    if you are attempting to bat away even the most valid of the concerns, then the issue is with you. For many normal people, EXPERIENCE speaks louder than the words and this is not the experience they signed up for. 
  • Reply 27 of 101
    thedbathedba Posts: 762member
    kkqd1337 said:
    Does this battery issue apply to iPads too? Surely it does.
    Much less since the iPad battery is much bigger. It was explained here at AI by Mike Wuerthele. 
    This also explains why Samsung’s phablets along with throttling from the get go don’t necessarily suffer from the same problems at the same rate. This isn’t some magical technology that only Samsung uses. 
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 28 of 101
    jumejume Posts: 209member
    cropr said:
    lkrupp said:
    So, Apple can just send them a copy of their explanation and reasoning that was published weeks ago. What else are they supposed to provide? The crux of all these ‘investigations’ is to try and brand Apple with malicious, intentional planned obsolescence. How do they plan to prove that? Experts have already stated Apple’s solution is acceptable and only criticized Apple for not being more transparent about it. As for those asshats claiming they have the right to choose whether their phones just randomly shut down or whether to slow things down to prevent said shutdowns, what kind of “choice” is that? That kind of “choice” is stupid, just like the asshats who want to be able to install whatever kind of crap they want to and use it to justify jailbreaking.
    There is a big difference between not being more transparent like you claim and what Apple actually did:  hiding the throttling from the customer until some clever guy came with the prove.  The former is a small communication issue, the latter could be interpreted as intentional. 

Every customer with a a slow iPhone  who bought a new iPhone but who was not given the option to replace the battery, was mislead by Apple.   The fact that a lot of Apple Stores guided these customers to buy a new iPhone did not help to contradict the possible intentional character.

The throttling itself is not the issue, the secrecy about it is. 
    Sorry to ruin your conspiracy theory.   But, Apple manages every facet of their products even after the sale in order to insure the best customer experience with them.   And, it quite obviously works.  At the same time, Apple keeps it simple by simply producing and managing products that "just work" without long winded explanations -- or any explanation. 
    ... Deal with it.  Or, buy an Android...  But go away with your conspiracy theories...
    If the CPU throttling insures the best customer experience, please, you are more then welcome come using my iPhone 6, which is BARELY USABLE and frequently UNUSABLE  due to this update! User experience at its best.... NOT.
    ClarityToSeemuthuk_vanalingam78Bandit
  • Reply 29 of 101

Well said agree 100%.

That's exactly my experience. I love Apple but I will not justify their wrong doing just because Apple is a great company. I have given thousands and thousands of Euros to them and I expect they treat me fairly and not hide something like this from me or anyone. I lost to much nerves due to my unusable iPhone, just like you described. 
    edited January 2018 ClarityToSee78Bandit
  • Reply 30 of 101
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    jume said:
    mike54 said:
    Good. Apple deserves it.
    Now I wish governments would go after Intel for their security debacle which has a bigger and more important impact that will last for years.
    Great, another uneducated armchair commentator who thinks he knows everything and makes asinine comments pushing forward a pitchfork agenda against Apple... Getting sick of seeing this stupid BS online...
    It's not stupid bullshit. It was made deliberately to sell more phones and there was no communication to us or Apple store workers to handle this in the right way when your phone gets slow. Nobody knew this was because of old battery. I still don't believe it's just because of the old battery. I have replaced mine. The settings do not show warning of crippled battery, but the phone is still utterly slow. Nothing like first two years when I bought it. And don't shit me it's the apps thing. I have the same apps from the day I bought my iPhone 6. 

Get ok with it. Apple screwed up big time here and it's time to pay back.

I wonder what would be your and other fanboy alike comments if this was Samsung case?!? You would probably shit all over Samsung for it... Grow up kids. Apple make great products, but their quality is very questionable in recent years. It's not just #throttlegate. Also premium priced iPhoneX doesn't feel that premium at all and it's full of usability quirks. For the most expensive product in it's niche you would not expect that.

There should be more pressure on Apple. They need to step up their game and improve!
    Triggered.
    StrangeDaysmagman1979
  • Reply 31 of 101
    jume said:

Well said agree 100%.

That's exactly my experience. I love Apple but I will not justify their wrong doing just because Apple is a great company. I have given thousands and thousands of Euros to them and I expect they treat me fairly and not hide something like this from me or anyone. I lost to much nerves due to my unusable iPhone, just like you described. 
    Thank you for your honesty in standing up for yourself and others and for what’s right. Even if a mistake has been perpetrated by a company loved by many. It is only through constructive criticism and brutal honesty can we keep a great company like Apple great. Otherwise, Apple will relegate it’s coveted top spot of much good will, trust and confidence to others.
               Being brutally honest, there is a good chance that this was intentionally done to push people to buy new phones without revealing any of the details of phone slow downs and throttling policies implemented internally. You know why I suspect that? Because there was LOTS of money involved. How much ?  $250Million to be exact in stock options, compensation and bonus. That’s how much Tim Cook got compensated this year for meeting his goals and quotas set by the board of directors. When you have that much money in the balance, it will give anyone a pause for a second or two and start to question their beliefs and objectives. Only the spiritually adept of us can overcome such a temptation to forego $250 Million dollars in favor of hanging onto their moral mantel. 
    edited January 2018 jume
  • Reply 32 of 101
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,305member
    All Apple did was normal battery management. As long as your battery is OK, nothing changes. The simple fact is, my iPhone 6 runs quite a bit better into it's 4th year then my iPhone 4 by quite a bit going into it's 4th year.

After every single yearly major iOS update, the phone gets a little slower. This is perfectly normal. The OS grows, gets more complex, it needs more power. But along with the OS, the app's themselves also grow and get more complex and resource hungry. This all makes older hardware get slower and slower. This happens with every OS.

What Apple did is allow older phones to work better as the battery gets weaker. If anything, what Apple did is allow people to use and hold onto their iPhones LONGER without having to do anything. Apple shouldn't have to explain themselves when they do this. Again, normal battery management that happens with all devices in the background.

Doing a speed test, is doing exactly what Apple is trying to slow down, so of course you'll see the worse kind of hit. But it's not real life operation. So many people, really clueless about what is going on, but jumping on the Negative Apple bandwagon over something that's NORMAL.
    edited January 2018 StrangeDaysGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 33 of 101
    jbdragon said:
    All Apple did was normal battery management. As long as your battery is OK, nothing changes. The simple fact is, my iPhone 6 runs quite a bit better into it's 4th year then my iPhone 4 by quite a bit going into it's 4th year.

After every single yearly major iOS update, the phone gets a little slower. This is perfectly normal. The OS grows, gets more complex, it needs more power. But along with the OS, the app's themselves also grow and get more complex and resource hungry. This all makes older hardware get slower and slower. This happens with every OS.

What Apple did is allow older phones to work better as the battery gets weaker. If anything, what Apple did is allow people to use and hold onto their iPhones LONGER without having to do anything. Apple shouldn't have to explain themselves when they do this. Again, normal battery management that happens with all devices in the background.

Doing a speed test, is doing exactly what Apple is trying to slow down, so of course you'll see the worse kind of hit. But it's not real life operation. So many people, really clueless about what is going on, but jumping on the Negative Apple bandwagon over something that's NORMAL.

Many valid statements, mixed with few incorrect statements. I have bolded the incorrect statements.

What Apple did is allow older phones to work better as the battery gets weaker. - How does a "slower" phone work "better"? Because it does not shutdown and hide a real problem that the battery needs to be replaced? No, it is NOT better. It is worser because the old phone is damn slow already due to newer iOS versions. On top of it, slowing down the SoC make is near impossible to use.

Apple shouldn't have to explain themselves when they do this. - Then why did "apologize" for this Incident in the first place AND offered battery swap for $29?

normal battery management that happens with all devices - No, this particular SoC slowdown happens ONLY with iPhone 6 & later. Not the older iPhones OR Android phones or Windows Phones or Any other phones. Can you please correct me if I am wrong, along with EVIDENCE?

something that's NORMAL. - No, it is NOT NORMAL. You get a screen-on-time of 2 hours instead of 4 hours - it is NORMAL. Slowing down of Phone - No, it is NOT.

ClarityToSee
  • Reply 34 of 101
    jbdragon said:

You are the first person who I have come across and have claimed no issues with owning an IPhone 6. Every other person I have come across using an IPhone 6 or 6S wanted to chuck their phone at the wall and not look back including myself.
              Is it possible that you didn’t use your iPhone 6 as heavily as others and as a result left with a battery more or less in good shape?  After all, there are many many documented cases like mine and a few right here in the AI forum confirming the slow down to a point that it can be compared to putting a wrap around your car and not letting you drive it under the reasoning of protecting your car and making it last LONGER because it’s getting old. I have never had any out of expectation performance issues with IPhones prior to IPhone 6. This is the first for me! And I can’t say it’s a change for the better. It drove me up the wall and down, all to make a single phone call when it was showing 80% battery charge on the screen. 
    edited January 2018
  • Reply 35 of 101
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    jume said:

Well said agree 100%.

Thank you for your honesty in standing up for yourself and others and for what’s right. Even if a mistake has been perpetrated by a company loved by many. It is only through constructive criticism and brutal honesty can we keep a great company like Apple great. Otherwise, Apple will relegate it’s coveted top spot of much good will, trust and confidence to others.
               Being brutally honest, there is a good chance that this was intentionally done to push people to buy new phones without revealing any of the details of phone slow downs and throttling policies implemented internally. You know why I suspect that? Because there was LOTS of money involved. How much ?  $250Million to be exact in stock options, compensation and bonus. That’s how much Tim Cook got compensated this year for meeting his goals and quotas set by the board of directors. When you have that much money in the balance, it will give anyone a pause for a second or two and start to question their beliefs and objectives. Only the spiritually adept of us can overcome such a temptation to forego $250 Million dollars in favor of hanging onto their moral mantel. 
    There needs to be an independent investigation by the BOD,  besides Congress.   A “60 Minutes” story would help-  like they used to have the guts to do 30 years ago not a marketing puff piece when Apple let them come visit.  

ClarityToSeejume
  • Reply 36 of 101
    JWSCJWSC Posts: 1,203member
    jume said:

If the CPU throttling insures the best customer experience, please, you are more then welcome come using my iPhone 6, which is BARELY USABLE and frequently UNUSABLE  due to this update! User experience at its best.... NOT.
    It is entirely possible that the software update you blame for crippling your iPhone did modify the battery management algorithm, making performance worse.

But I am curious.  Have you actually taken your iPhone in to an Apple store and have them check your battery?  I took my old 6 plus in and they said it was pretty much depleted.  So they put me on the waiting list for the $29 battery replacement (may be waiting a couple months on that unfortunately).  If you’ve got a bad battery then your whining is rather pointless.  Go get it checked out and stop being a crybaby.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 37 of 101
    jbdragon said:

My experience with a 4s when it was upgraded from 7 to 8 is that it didn't get a little slower, it got a lot slower. It could not keep up with me slowly typing a search word in Safari with it being the only app opened.
    muthuk_vanalingamGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 38 of 101

But I am curious.  Have you actually taken your iPhone in to an Apple store and have them check your battery?  I took my old 6 plus in and they said it was pretty much depleted.  So they put me on the waiting list for the $29 battery replacement (may be waiting a couple months on that unfortunately).  If you’ve got a bad battery then your whining is rather pointless.  Go get it checked out and stop being a crybaby.
    You are missing the point. The point he was making was not making a run to the Apple store but how Apple has mis-handled this issue. You don’t put a wrap around an older car and keep you from driving it in order to make the car last LONGER. It’s not the right solution. 
    edited January 2018 muthuk_vanalingamjume
  • Reply 39 of 101
    jbdragon said:

What Apple did was not "NORMAL'.  All indications are Apple was the first major phone manufacturer to implement performance reduction based on normal battery degradation.  This wasn't reduced CPU cycles during idle times which would be expected, this was a major cut in performance right at the time the users needed it the most.  Apple didn't even know they had a problem until after they got repeated complaints of phones unexpectedly shutting down, implemented diagnostic procedures to figure out why in iOS 10.2, and finally implemented throttling on 6 and 6S devices with iOS 10.2.1.

Apple's solution may have allowed those particular devices to work longer than they could have, but it was implemented as a direct result of major problems with the phone's design in the first place.  There is no way Apple should have let a phone out the door that was going to be subject to unexpected shutdowns after little more than a year due to normal battery degradation.  Apple did the best they could in a bad situation, but proper design wouldn't have put them in that position in the first place.

What Apple did may have worked as a band-aid to nurse devices along, but they certainly should have explained themselves regarding their decision to cut performance by up to 60%.  Consumers needed to know this so they could make an informed decision to either replace the battery or accept the throttling.  For some reason Apple decided to bury the explanation behind a meaningless statement like "improved power management under peak workloads".  This wasn't particularly altruistic of Apple, they simply couldn't take the hit to their reputation as unexpected shutdowns affected more and more devices less than three years old nor were they going to tip consumers off the batteries may not be performing as expected while the devices were still under warranty or AppleCare contract.
    muthuk_vanalingamClarityToSeejume
  • Reply 40 of 101
    JWSC said:
    jume said:

It is entirely possible that the software update you blame for crippling your iPhone did modify the battery management algorithm, making performance worse.

Not crying. There is no 29$ battery replacement in Europe. It costs 59 EURO over here. Still this does not change the fact that Apple was intentionally covering up this mess and eventually had to spent 1 year with crippled iPhone.