Video: How the Meltdown & Spectre chip flaws affect Apple's Mac and iPhone

Posted:
in General Discussion
Both Intel- and ARM-based processors can be susceptible to various hacks, known as Meltdown and Spectre, affecting Macs, iPhones, iPads, and even Apple TVs. Apple has already implemented some fixes, with more to come, but there's a lot to unravel. AppleInsider is here to explain the situation in our latest video.

For more reviews, news, tips, features and more, subscribe to AppleInsider on YouTube.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    That was well done. Much more succinct explanations since this issue came about.
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 2 of 16
    racerhomie3racerhomie3 Posts: 1,264member
    I believe the problem is much more deeper than this basic explanation. Do you think DOD & other intelligence agency computers will be targeted?
  • Reply 3 of 16
    Max's rocking a new haircut! Looks good, bro.

Thanks for the vid. :)

• Reply 4 of 16
    A-R-M, i always pronounce it arm.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 5 of 16
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    Intel is sooooo doomed.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    Sigh. I click on articles because I want the information, not because I want to see videos -- a much slower way to absorb information. Can you add summaries of critical information in addition to your videos?
    baconstangxzuwatto_cobrajas99airnerd
  • Reply 7 of 16
    baconstangbaconstang Posts: 1,103member
    bbqboy said:
    Sigh. I click on articles because I want the information, not because I want to see videos -- a much slower way to absorb information. Can you add summaries of critical information in addition to your videos?
    Yup.  Videos and podcasts.  Not very time efficient.
    watto_cobramuthuk_vanalingamjas99airnerd
  • Reply 8 of 16
    “Speculative executive”
    Not very nice executive I guess :) Like Intel CEO who dumped his stock after that news.
    I stopped watching after that

p.s. Are you sure it is not “speculative execution”?
    edited January 2018
  • Reply 9 of 16
    Really? Three have already been filed in California, Indiana, and Oregon. The ones filed on behalf of individuals will likely get thrown out due to the lack of real harm. On the other hand, if the major cloud services start suing because of real costs involved in installing extra servers to compensate for the slowdowns caused by Meltdown mitigation, Intel may have a tougher battle. https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/01/intel-faces-class-action-lawsuits-regarding-meltdown-and-spectre/
    edited January 2018
  • Reply 10 of 16
    ivanhivanh Posts: 597member
    The backdoors were discovered.  Flaw? No way.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Is there any word on when we'll see new Macs with chips that don't have the flaws?
  • Reply 12 of 16
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,822member
    frank777 said:
    Is there any word on when we'll see new Macs with chips that don't have the flaws?
    That's the question. You, me and many, many others must be wondering that.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    bbqboy said:

They do that sometimes. I've seen a couple of video articles that actually have a nice rundown of what was covered in the video. I'm not sure why they don't do it for all of them.
    airnerd
  • Reply 14 of 16
    TomETomE Posts: 172member
    Will the new Intel Chips to be released the 2nd week of January have this same flaw ?

• Reply 15 of 16
    rufworkrufwork Posts: 130member
    Soli said:
    That was well done. Much more succinct explanations since this issue came about.
    Wait, what? There was zero explanation here. Just parroting Apple’s already nebulous releases.

Idk, if I see “explained” in the title, I expect to see a little about how the exploit works. Get a little technical, please.