Comments

• Reply 61 of 101
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member

Latko said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    Latko said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    foggyhill said:
    Thanks for the Engadget article link above Brisance.  It definitely sheds more light on the issues with alternative device options.  I do agree with you that the problem with alternatives like Samsung is two-fold, one lacking proper hardware quality controls and two bloatware. Hence I have stayed firmly in Apple’s camp so far.
    But this IPhone slow down and inferior battery deployment is a major issue that I would like to see them address sooner rather than later.  And I don’t mean addressing by offering a temporary program of ten months to pay $29 to replace a battery but rather addressing by a permanent fix to the problem by genuinely using better power retaining batteries like Samsung, but with better hardware quality controls like Apple is known for.

Bigger batteries are less stressed, Samsung CPU have deplorable single thread peaks with stresses the battery less, Smaller phones, less stress, etc, etc, etc.

Samsung's batteries in the current phones are ripe with problems (not to mention the Note). What's your fracking explanation there huh bud.

So, you just lied again. Just stop lying. You're not fooling anyone buddy.
    The irony is that Apple has been using AI to slow down and speed up the processor for some time, and for other reasons besides battery age.
    That AI that you mention (which is redundant on chips running their own mng'd performance) should have been the most elementary form of EI: detecting a batt-based shutdown and offering the user the choice to throttle or not. How difficult is that (and how amazing the current CEO's leadership...)
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. First Officer Grimble and I have detected a problem with the aircraft’s power management systems. In response to this the flight attendants will be coming around with a short customer service form. Tick option 1 if you’d prefer a safe landing now, or option 2 if you’d prefer to carry on with a fair chance that we’ll plunge from the sky in flames. 

The reason there will be no option is because Apple knows that everyone (including all the people who’re demanding a choice) will always pick a slower phone over a crashing one. Apple engineers are not going to include an option no one will use. 

Oh look, another low-count troll who popped by.

StrangeDays is a perfect example of being an emotionally insecure person who cannot take a valid point and a valid concern from millions and accept it and would rather try to one up on others to feel emotionally secure again.  There is nothing strange about this behavior. This is very typical of emotionally insecure people who would rather call you a TROLL or use another method of discrediting you rather than just actually supporting their argument with proper substance! Their argument has no substance, just a bunch of Cocktail theories and feel good explanations to make themselves feel better going to bed at night! These people cannot put their grown-up pants on because they have none. I bet they have never been able to take a criticism in their lives without getting all bunched up in a roll and turning inside out about it.  Guess what, you are alone buddy and may be you can take Foggyhill with you to disappear in to your strange and foggy existences. 
    Nope. I've just been on these forums long enough to recognize whiny trolls when I see them. I have no issue debunking your bullshit for kicks, using rationality and evidence. Like, that this feature was introduced in 10.2.1, yet nobody was crying about it a year ago. That they are crying about it now infers something else is the problem -- such as their older hardware having a harder time with the new annual update of the platform.

But coming into the forums and calling people names is a violation of forum rules and makes you a butthurt troll.
    edited January 2018 GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 62 of 101
    jume said:

Also premium priced iPhoneX doesn't feel that premium at all and it's full of usability quirks. For the most expensive product in it's niche you would not expect that.

There should be more pressure on Apple. They need to step up their game and improve!

Total agreement from an Apple fanboy since the Apple ][

The X is great, it's the hands-down the finest iphone ive ever had (came in w/ the 3G). Some quirks in iOS, but there are always quirks in iOS and changes made to UX.

But I like how you have no post history yet throw down your street cred since the old days. That's not a common pattern or anything...
    You take my post history for my non-credibility :)? Hehe good, you can do that. I haven't posted anything because I didn't have anything to post until Apple started to do things which I don't like. And yes I have a life outside of internet as well.

I'm 38 and I had been iPhone developer since the first iPhone SDK/app store and have been Apple user since years before Steve had his second coming and have been to 3 Apple WWDC's. I will always show my disagreement with any company I support if they are wrong. And clearly Apple was very wrong on the transparency of this issue. 

Regarding iPhone X. We have one in house but I am not using it. It's a great device but the deal breaker for me are three things:

1. Control center access. Control canter has been one of the most usable features in iOS since Cook took over. On the X you can't access anymore with one hand and this for is the biggest usability fail. Now you have to use two hands just to access it. I don't think Jobs would ever approve that user interaction. There are numerous better solutions to this problem, but I think you are smart enough to Google for few of them.

2. The same goes for all the gesture bar on the bottom part of the screen. You want to do something but then again you do everything else if you are not super precise. I know you get better and get used to it in time but I am frequently in backcountry, skiing, mountain-biking and often phone needs to be used 1-handed. The perfect size of X would allow that perfectly but some of the UI decisions Apple took here are just awful. 

3. While face ID works beautifully it's kind of clumsy I need to look the phone every time I want to unlock it. 

I think this review is one of the best subjective reviews out there and he is spot on with the fails of iPhone X ->

iPhone X is a beautiful device, the best looking phone ever, but using it just feels very unpolished. It's full of small usability twerks which I do believe Apple will fix in the next interactions. Untill then I will stay with my slow iPhone 6.
    I too have been developing software for 20 years, but that doesn't change the fact that many of the vocal newbies on this forum are trolls. Odd that you're addressing me in a reply I posted to goodbyeranch tho.

As for your crits of the X, they don't seem to be as big a deal for me as for you.

1. I can still reach it, but I have big hands. One handed use is less important to me tho, as it clearly is unimportant for the very large Plus market -- some devices are just better used with two hands. Does that mean Apple won't improve or change the UX? If you know Apple as well as you claim then you know the answer.

2. No idea what you mean here by "gesture bar". Do you mean the home indicator? Has not been a problem in the slightest.

3. Since you have to look at your screen anyway in order to, you know, use it, this hasn't been a problem.
    edited January 2018
  • Reply 63 of 101
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    But coming into the forums and calling people names is a violation of forum rules and makes you a butthurt troll.
    ??? None of us should be tagging anyone here with derogatory names. Yes it violates forum rules no matter who does the name-calling. I think the forum leadership's intent is to put an end to it so that this place is a bit more welcoming with more informative discussion. 
    edited January 2018 ClarityToSeeJWSC
  • Reply 64 of 101
    jume said:
    jume said:
    mike54 said:
    Good. Apple deserves it.
    Now I wish governments would go after Intel for their security debacle which has a bigger and more important impact that will last for years.
    Great, another uneducated armchair commentator who thinks he knows everything and makes asinine comments pushing forward a pitchfork agenda against Apple... Getting sick of seeing this stupid BS online...
    It's not stupid bullshit. It was made deliberately to sell more phones and there was no communication to us or Apple store workers to handle this in the right way when your phone gets slow. Nobody knew this was because of old battery. I still don't believe it's just because of the old battery. I have replaced mine. The settings do not show warning of crippled battery, but the phone is still utterly slow. Nothing like first two years when I bought it. And don't shit me it's the apps thing. I have the same apps from the day I bought my iPhone 6. 

Get ok with it. Apple screwed up big time here and it's time to pay back.

I wonder what would be your and other fanboy alike comments if this was Samsung case?!? You would probably shit all over Samsung for it... Grow up kids. Apple make great products, but their quality is very questionable in recent years. It's not just #throttlegate. Also premium priced iPhoneX doesn't feel that premium at all and it's full of usability quirks. For the most expensive product in it's niche you would not expect that.

There should be more pressure on Apple. They need to step up their game and improve!
    Get over myself? When you come in here blazing nonsense and more BS? Listen, I'm an ACSP of 7 years, and in the IT field for almost 24 years now, so I know a thing or two more about technology and how it works than you armchair trolls, get over yourselves.

Bottom line, you get fed the media narrative, make some asinine assumptions about the situation, then run with it as gospel, and when someone with even an ounce of logic and reasoning comes in to provide proper information, you take a shit on them.

If you hate the product that much, and think it sucks that bad, fine, get rid of it and get a junker Android and be happy with that garbage. No one is pointing a gun to your head to keep Apple products!

And I can GUARANTEE, that if you've replaced your battery, and the phone is still having performance issues, there is another underlying cause, and it has NOTHING to do with any sort of battery impedance / voltage throttling implemented by iOS.
    So you are IT - well done. IT guys always know everything. Been a SW dev for over 20 years and working with IT guys has always been a challenge. You are probably the smartest species alive knowing just about anything in tech, politics, law and just about everything else. 

And you still don't get it. I am replacing my battery no questions asked. But that's not the problem in this case. It's not why law suits are being filled. Apple could have been clear with this since the "feature" was released and I would have replaced the battery a year ago and no-one would have any comments about it. Instead they have kept their mouth shut until someone find-out and went public with it. I am sure Apple sold millions of iPhones more due to this secrecy regarding the CPU throttling and everyone at Apple was happy pocketing millions thanks to this "feature". They have not just lied to the customers they have also broken law. At list some of the EU laws that is.
    Your conspiracy theory is pretty rubbish. AI writer Mike has explained why this hasn't broken any laws. Batteries are considered consumables and must be serviced and replaced. You have no data to suggest they sold millions *more* phones while implementing a feature that makes phones *last longer*. That defies logic. Additionally, if the power management feature didn't just throttle peak power draw under certain circumstances for a moment (as they said it does) and instead made it slow in general, then customers would get pissed off and buy something else.

But actually in real life -- iPhones have the longest useful lifespan in the business, and the highest resale values. These are facts. And they're directly at odds with your conspiracy theory. 

Leaving the simple truth -- old hardware gets slow because it can't run new software as well anymore. This is a basic tenant of computing.
  • Reply 65 of 101
    gatorguy said:
    ???
    I have no issue identifying a troll when I see one after he comes in guns blazing and calling everyone apple apologists and other names rather than engaging with the rational arguments being presented and discussed. Indeed, that does make him butthurt. Too bad so sad.

But often being in that camp I can understand how this bothers you.
  • Reply 66 of 101
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    gatorguy said:
    ???
    I have no issue identifying a troll when I see one after he comes in guns blazing and calling everyone apple apologists and other names.. Indeed, that does make him butthurt.

I linked the newly revised forum rules a couple of posts back. You should read them if you have not. It's really meant as a friendly warning about the changes. I saw them earlier today.

EDIT: In an effort to be helpful I'll l post the link again for anyone who might not have noticed. It might save some members from having their posts removed, moderator admonishment or even banning according to the Admins. The rules have changed and I don't think some of the stuff in this thread is going to be tolerated anymore. 
    https://forums.appleinsider.com/discussion/184333/appleinsiders-updated-commenting-guidelines#latest
    edited January 2018 ClarityToSee
  • Reply 67 of 101
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    jume said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    foggyhill said:
    Thanks for the Engadget article link above Brisance.  It definitely sheds more light on the issues with alternative device options.  I do agree with you that the problem with alternatives like Samsung is two-fold, one lacking proper hardware quality controls and two bloatware. Hence I have stayed firmly in Apple’s camp so far.
    But this IPhone slow down and inferior battery deployment is a major issue that I would like to see them address sooner rather than later.  And I don’t mean addressing by offering a temporary program of ten months to pay $29 to replace a battery but rather addressing by a permanent fix to the problem by genuinely using better power retaining batteries like Samsung, but with better hardware quality controls like Apple is known for.

Bigger batteries are less stressed, Samsung CPU have deplorable single thread peaks with stresses the battery less, Smaller phones, less stress, etc, etc, etc.

Samsung's batteries in the current phones are ripe with problems (not to mention the Note). What's your fracking explanation there huh bud.

So, you just lied again. Just stop lying. You're not fooling anyone buddy.
    The irony is that Apple has been using AI to slow down and speed up the processor for some time, and for other reasons besides battery age. And this is something every other high end manufacturer has been doing for years. No phone chip runs at full speed all the time. If it did then the battery would probably last two hours at the most. 

In response to the iPhone aged battery thing, both Samsung and LG released statements saying that they do not throttle phones with aged batteries. What they didn’t say was that they don’t throttle phones at all. 

As as far as I remember, the only phone that ran its components at full speed was the Samsung Note4 – and even then it only ran at full speed when it detected it was running a benchmark test. 
    Yep!   That's a good point that few have realized...
    Every CPU in every computer from every manufacturer is managed in a variety of ways....
    ...  Deal with it!
    Hell no it's not the same. All the MacBook's I had in my life have never seen slowdowns and are still usable years after they were bought ... It's different with iPhone. It's barely usable and lot's of customers when and bought a new one because of that!! This is a huge difference to me. 
    As I said in response to your original post:
    'Every CPU in every computer from every manufacturer is managed in a variety of ways....
    ...  Deal with it!"

It was simply managing CPU demand to match a weak, worn out battery.  Not a "slow Down" as you conspiracy theory guys like to say...
  • Reply 68 of 101
    jume said:
    cropr said:
    lkrupp said:
    So, Apple can just send them a copy of their explanation and reasoning that was published weeks ago. What else are they supposed to provide? The crux of all these ‘investigations’ is to try and brand Apple with malicious, intentional planned obsolescence. How do they plan to prove that? Experts have already stated Apple’s solution is acceptable and only criticized Apple for not being more transparent about it. As for those asshats claiming they have the right to choose whether their phones just randomly shut down or whether to slow things down to prevent said shutdowns, what kind of “choice” is that? That kind of “choice” is stupid, just like the asshats who want to be able to install whatever kind of crap they want to and use it to justify jailbreaking.
    There is a big difference between not being more transparent like you claim and what Apple actually did:  hiding the throttling from the customer until some clever guy came with the prove.  The former is a small communication issue, the latter could be interpreted as intentional. 

Every customer with a a slow iPhone  who bought a new iPhone but who was not given the option to replace the battery, was mislead by Apple.   The fact that a lot of Apple Stores guided these customers to buy a new iPhone did not help to contradict the possible intentional character.

The throttling itself is not the issue, the secrecy about it is. 
    Sorry to ruin your conspiracy theory.   But, Apple manages every facet of their products even after the sale in order to insure the best customer experience with them.   And, it quite obviously works.  At the same time, Apple keeps it simple by simply producing and managing products that "just work" without long winded explanations -- or any explanation. 
    ... Deal with it.  Or, buy an Android...  But go away with your conspiracy theories...
    If the CPU throttling insures the best customer experience, please, you are more then welcome come using my iPhone 6, which is BARELY USABLE and frequently UNUSABLE  due to this update! User experience at its best.... NOT.
    LOL..  I AM using an iPhone 6 (Plus) and have been since I bought it on the first day of its availability.

It's a little slow.  But nothing that I would not expect from any electronic product that was entering obsolescence.    

If you're having so much trouble, either breakdown and spend the $29.  Or buy a Samsung and hope it does't explode.   But quit you're whining...
  • Reply 69 of 101
    jume said:

A lot of the fanboys here feel an uncontrollable urge to jump to Apple’s rescue unconsciously either because they haven’t had the opportunity to experience the slowdown and associated glitchiness themselves OR because they replace their phones too fast to even be bothered by this issue OR because they are willing to overlook this issue because of Apple’s record so far of being the best in being environmentally friendly OR because they feel that they are supporting humanity go in the right direction by supporting a company that operates on a morally high ground in general whether it be by protecting consumer data impartially or protecting the environment. And I am not disputing or invalidating any of the above reasons. They are all valid and genuinely deserve praise. 

However, I will make the critique where it is justifiably due. I was so frustrated with my iPhone one day that I wanted to smash it against the wall and never look back? Why you ask? Because it got so slow that it was like watching paint dry on the wall. And it didn’t shut off at 2% to save the internals like someone here mentioned but rather it shut off 
    randomly at anything, even at 90% or 80%. One time I got stuck on the side of the road in a wind storm with power outage in the area with a broken car and I couldn’t make a single phone call to a tow truck or to my spouse to save my life because it got so glitchy and slow. I randomly had to ask for an Android phone who a stranger walking by happened to own to make a phone call. You can imagine why I am so upset at Apple over this battery issue. This was never an issue with my previous iPhones where I noticed the battery draining too fast and I just had the battery replaced. Simple as that. But this time with the IPhone 6, it was a complete disaster. And I didn’t know to expect phone shutting down at 80% or 50% or something else. And from what I hear this is going to be a common practice by Apple for all IPhones starting with iPhone 6. This is going to be a nightmare, God forbid if you ever got stuck with a little older iPhone in your pocket, and the same thing happened to you that happened to me, especially with climate change and colder winters, I will pray for you. 
    Well said agree 100%.

That's exactly my experience. I love Apple but I will not justify their wrong doing just because Apple is a great company. I have given thousands and thousands of Euros to them and I expect they treat me fairly and not hide something like this from me or anyone. I lost to much nerves due to my unusable iPhone, just like you described. 
    Sorry to break your conspiracy theory.  But Apple wasn't hiding anything.

Unlike Samsung, Apple manages its products throughout their lifecycle to provide the best customer experience.  In this case, they eliminated a potentially dangerous unexpected shutdown problem by managing the CPU demand on phones with weak, worn out batteries....

No hiding.  No conspiracy.   Sorry to disappoint you.
  • Reply 70 of 101
    jbdragon said:
    All Apple did was normal battery management. As long as your battery is OK, nothing changes. The simple fact is, my iPhone 6 runs quite a bit better into it's 4th year then my iPhone 4 by quite a bit going into it's 4th year.

After every single yearly major iOS update, the phone gets a little slower. This is perfectly normal. The OS grows, gets more complex, it needs more power. But along with the OS, the app's themselves also grow and get more complex and resource hungry. This all makes older hardware get slower and slower. This happens with every OS.

What Apple did is allow older phones to work better as the battery gets weaker. If anything, what Apple did is allow people to use and hold onto their iPhones LONGER without having to do anything. Apple shouldn't have to explain themselves when they do this. Again, normal battery management that happens with all devices in the background.

Doing a speed test, is doing exactly what Apple is trying to slow down, so of course you'll see the worse kind of hit. But it's not real life operation. So many people, really clueless about what is going on, but jumping on the Negative Apple bandwagon over something that's NORMAL.

Many valid statements, mixed with few incorrect statements. I have bolded the incorrect statements.

What Apple did is allow older phones to work better as the battery gets weaker. - How does a "slower" phone work "better"? Because it does not shutdown and hide a real problem that the battery needs to be replaced? No, it is NOT better. It is worser because the old phone is damn slow already due to newer iOS versions. On top of it, slowing down the SoC make is near impossible to use.

Apple shouldn't have to explain themselves when they do this. - Then why did "apologize" for this Incident in the first place AND offered battery swap for $29?

normal battery management that happens with all devices - No, this particular SoC slowdown happens ONLY with iPhone 6 & later. Not the older iPhones OR Android phones or Windows Phones or Any other phones. Can you please correct me if I am wrong, along with EVIDENCE?

something that's NORMAL. - No, it is NOT NORMAL. You get a screen-on-time of 2 hours instead of 4 hours - it is NORMAL. Slowing down of Phone - No, it is NOT.

Good conspiracy theory guy!
    ... It would sell well as a fiction novel because pretty much every word you said was fiction
  • Reply 71 of 101
    ClarityToSeeClarityToSee Posts: 34unconfirmed, member
    gatorguy said:
    ???
    I have no issue identifying a troll when I see one after he comes in guns blazing and calling everyone apple apologists and other names rather than engaging with the rational arguments being presented and discussed. Indeed, that does make him butthurt. Too bad so sad.

I find it extremely funny and laughable even on how one can self-assume the sole authority of passing judgements on who is a troll and who is not, and take himself to be self righteous in any and all circumstances, when in fact it’s just an opinion. An opinion of JUST one person out of billions. No wonder someone needed admonishing more than others on this forum for name calling.
    edited January 2018
  • Reply 72 of 101
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member

Also premium priced iPhoneX doesn't feel that premium at all and it's full of usability quirks. For the most expensive product in it's niche you would not expect that.

Total agreement from an Apple fanboy since the Apple ][

The X is great, it's the hands-down the finest iphone ive ever had (came in w/ the 3G). Some quirks in iOS, but there are always quirks in iOS and changes made to UX.

But I like how you have no post history yet throw down your street cred since the old days. That's not a common pattern or anything...
    No worries, I'm a light poster because I don't have much to say that someone else hasn't already said. Regardless, I think face ID is a nuisance compared to touchID. Sometimes I have a beard, sometimes a moustache, sometimes I wear glasses, or sunglasses, or a ball cap, hoodie, headband at the gym, sometimes I rest my chin on my fist, sometimes I have a phone headset on at work, sometimes I use it in bed in the dark, etc etc.  I turned it off to get to the home screen (and had to give up applepay cards in the process) but left it on for individual app authentication and its less of a nuisance now. The OLED screen doesn't seem much better than the LCD screen. The screen feels smaller even though it technically isn't smaller. No complaints about ios. its smooth like butter. FOR ME, it wasn't worth $1200 upgrade from a 7+. You can love the X and I can not care for it and we can still be bros and the sun will still come out tomorrow morning over apple campus.
    You will have to see how the Samsung S9 and other android phones handle finger print scanning under the display.   I would rather have TouchId Under The Display, but I doubt if Google and Android will make it work smoothly and consistently.   
  • Reply 73 of 101
    jbdragon said:
    All Apple did was normal battery management. As long as your battery is OK, nothing changes. The simple fact is, my iPhone 6 runs quite a bit better into it's 4th year then my iPhone 4 by quite a bit going into it's 4th year.

After every single yearly major iOS update, the phone gets a little slower. This is perfectly normal. The OS grows, gets more complex, it needs more power. But along with the OS, the app's themselves also grow and get more complex and resource hungry. This all makes older hardware get slower and slower. This happens with every OS.

What Apple did is allow older phones to work better as the battery gets weaker. If anything, what Apple did is allow people to use and hold onto their iPhones LONGER without having to do anything. Apple shouldn't have to explain themselves when they do this. Again, normal battery management that happens with all devices in the background.

Doing a speed test, is doing exactly what Apple is trying to slow down, so of course you'll see the worse kind of hit. But it's not real life operation. So many people, really clueless about what is going on, but jumping on the Negative Apple bandwagon over something that's NORMAL.

Many valid statements, mixed with few incorrect statements. I have bolded the incorrect statements.

What Apple did is allow older phones to work better as the battery gets weaker. - How does a "slower" phone work "better"? Because it does not shutdown and hide a real problem that the battery needs to be replaced? No, it is NOT better. It is worser because the old phone is damn slow already due to newer iOS versions. On top of it, slowing down the SoC make is near impossible to use.

Apple shouldn't have to explain themselves when they do this. - Then why did "apologize" for this Incident in the first place AND offered battery swap for $29?

normal battery management that happens with all devices - No, this particular SoC slowdown happens ONLY with iPhone 6 & later. Not the older iPhones OR Android phones or Windows Phones or Any other phones. Can you please correct me if I am wrong, along with EVIDENCE?

something that's NORMAL. - No, it is NOT NORMAL. You get a screen-on-time of 2 hours instead of 4 hours - it is NORMAL. Slowing down of Phone - No, it is NOT.

Good conspiracy theory guy!
    ... It would sell well as a fiction novel because pretty much every word you said was fiction

Where is the conspiracy theory in my post? I have asked few valid questions. If you have answers to those, please feel free to post your views.
    ClarityToSee
  • Reply 74 of 101
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    jdw said:
    Even though such would be going against what Apple normally does, they could please everybody with a simply Preference setting:

ON = Slow my phone as my battery ages so I get more life out of my battery.

OFF = Allow my phone to suddenly and randomly shut off as the battery ages.

It really is that simple.

I'd rather have user replaceable batteries. I'll toss old batteries, have endless power and DO NOT CARE if my phone is a bit thicker or heavier.

Yes, folk tossing old batteries is another problem.
    ClarityToSee
  • Reply 75 of 101
    jdw said:
    Even though such would be going against what Apple normally does, they could please everybody with a simply Preference setting:

ON = Slow my phone as my battery ages so I get more life out of my battery.

OFF = Allow my phone to suddenly and randomly shut off as the battery ages.

It really is that simple.
    So let me get this straight in my head. 

You’re suggesting that Apple puts an option on their phone, asking users if it would be okay to let the phone crash rather than avoid the crash. 

That’s what you’re suggesting.

Seriously. 

Could I ask, what kind of stuff you’re doing where you would prefer it to crash rather than slow down during peak loads?
    edited January 2018 GeorgeBMacJWSC
  • Reply 76 of 101
            A lot of the fanboys here feel an uncontrollable urge to jump to Apple’s rescue unconsciously either because they haven’t had the opportunity to experience the slowdown and associated glitchiness themselves OR because they replace their phones too fast to even be bothered by this issue OR because they are willing to overlook this issue because of Apple’s record so far of being the best in being environmentally friendly OR because they feel that they are supporting humanity go in the right direction by supporting a company that operates on a morally high ground in general whether it be by protecting consumer data impartially or protecting the environment. And I am not disputing or invalidating any of the above reasons. They are all valid and genuinely deserve praise. 

However, I will make the critique where it is justifiably due. I was so frustrated with my iPhone one day that I wanted to smash it against the wall and never look back? Why you ask? Because it got so slow that it was like watching paint dry on the wall. And it didn’t shut off at 2% to save the internals like someone here mentioned but rather it shut off 
    randomly at anything, even at 90% or 80%. One time I got stuck on the side of the road in a wind storm with power outage in the area with a broken car and I couldn’t make a single phone call to a tow truck or to my spouse to save my life because it got so glitchy and slow. I randomly had to ask for an Android phone who a stranger walking by happened to own to make a phone call. You can imagine why I am so upset at Apple over this battery issue. This was never an issue with my previous iPhones where I noticed the battery draining too fast and I just had the battery replaced. Simple as that. But this time with the IPhone 6, it was a complete disaster. And I didn’t know to expect phone shutting down at 80% or 50% or something else. And from what I hear this is going to be a common practice by Apple for all IPhones starting with iPhone 6. This is going to be a nightmare, God forbid if you ever got stuck with a little older iPhone in your pocket, and the same thing happened to you that happened to me, especially with climate change and colder winters, I will pray for you. 
    That’s quite a story. 🙄

That other chap: the Android phone user who just happened to be walking by in a wind storm? He wasn’t wearing a hockey mask and carrying a chainsaw by any chance, was he?
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 77 of 101
    jume said:
    JWSC said:
    jume said:

If the CPU throttling insures the best customer experience, please, you are more then welcome come using my iPhone 6, which is BARELY USABLE and frequently UNUSABLE  due to this update! User experience at its best.... NOT.
    It is entirely possible that the software update you blame for crippling your iPhone did modify the battery management algorithm, making performance worse.

But I am curious.  Have you actually taken your iPhone in to an Apple store and have them check your battery?  I took my old 6 plus in and they said it was pretty much depleted.  So they put me on the waiting list for the $29 battery replacement (may be waiting a couple months on that unfortunately).  If you’ve got a bad battery then your whining is rather pointless.  Go get it checked out and stop being a crybaby.
    Not crying. There is no 29$ battery replacement in Europe. It costs 59 EURO over here. Still this does not change the fact that Apple was intentionally covering up this mess and eventually had to spent 1 year with crippled iPhone. 
    Mmm. Where in Europe are you? This replacement service is supposed to be worldwide. 
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 78 of 101
    jume said:

Well said agree 100%.

That's exactly my experience. I love Apple but I will not justify their wrong doing just because Apple is a great company. I have given thousands and thousands of Euros to them and I expect they treat me fairly and not hide something like this from me or anyone. I lost to much nerves due to my unusable iPhone, just like you described. 
    Thank you for your honesty in standing up for yourself and others and for what’s right. Even if a mistake has been perpetrated by a company loved by many. It is only through constructive criticism and brutal honesty can we keep a great company like Apple great. Otherwise, Apple will relegate it’s coveted top spot of much good will, trust and confidence to others.
               Being brutally honest, there is a good chance that this was intentionally done to push people to buy new phones without revealing any of the details of phone slow downs and throttling policies implemented internally. You know why I suspect that? Because there was LOTS of money involved. How much ?  $250Million to be exact in stock options, compensation and bonus. That’s how much Tim Cook got compensated this year for meeting his goals and quotas set by the board of directors. When you have that much money in the balance, it will give anyone a pause for a second or two and start to question their beliefs and objectives. Only the spiritually adept of us can overcome such a temptation to forego $250 Million dollars in favor of hanging onto their moral mantel. 
    If this was done to trick people not upgrading then why did they build a battery test into the phone?

And are we talking about the same Tim Cook? The guy who volunteered to give up $75million in dividends? That Tim Cook?
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 79 of 101
    jume said:
    mike54 said:
    Good. Apple deserves it.
    Now I wish governments would go after Intel for their security debacle which has a bigger and more important impact that will last for years.
    Great, another uneducated armchair commentator who thinks he knows everything and makes asinine comments pushing forward a pitchfork agenda against Apple... Getting sick of seeing this stupid BS online...
    It's not stupid bullshit. It was made deliberately to sell more phones and there was no communication to us or Apple store workers to handle this in the right way when your phone gets slow. Nobody knew this was because of old battery. I still don't believe it's just because of the old battery. I have replaced mine. The settings do not show warning of crippled battery, but the phone is still utterly slow. Nothing like first two years when I bought it. And don't shit me it's the apps thing. I have the same apps from the day I bought my iPhone 6. 

Get ok with it. Apple screwed up big time here and it's time to pay back.

I wonder what would be your and other fanboy alike comments if this was Samsung case?!? You would probably shit all over Samsung for it... Grow up kids. Apple make great products, but their quality is very questionable in recent years. It's not just #throttlegate. Also premium priced iPhoneX doesn't feel that premium at all and it's full of usability quirks. For the most expensive product in it's niche you would not expect that.

Get over myself? When you come in here blazing nonsense and more BS? Listen, I'm an ACSP of 7 years, and in the IT field for almost 24 years now, so I know a thing or two more about technology and how it works than you armchair trolls, get over yourselves.

Bottom line, you get fed the media narrative, make some asinine assumptions about the situation, then run with it as gospel, and when someone with even an ounce of logic and reasoning comes in to provide proper information, you take a shit on them.

If you hate the product that much, and think it sucks that bad, fine, get rid of it and get a junker Android and be happy with that garbage. No one is pointing a gun to your head to keep Apple products!

And I can GUARANTEE, that if you've replaced your battery, and the phone is still having performance issues, there is another underlying cause, and it has NOTHING to do with any sort of battery impedance / voltage throttling implemented by iOS.
    First port of call, even before the battery, should be the apps on the device. Make sure that any app the required location services only uses them while you’re using the app. If the app insists on using location services all the time,  then delete it would be my advice. 

In settings there are a number of options that will show you what resources each app uses. 
    GeorgeBMacJWSC
  • Reply 80 of 101
    jume said:

Well said agree 100%.

Sorry to break your conspiracy theory.  But Apple wasn't hiding anything.

Unlike Samsung, Apple manages its products throughout their lifecycle to provide the best customer experience.  In this case, they eliminated a potentially dangerous unexpected shutdown problem by managing the CPU demand on phones with weak, worn out batteries....

No hiding.  No conspiracy.   Sorry to disappoint you.
    You know what’s really ironic? I reckon the other phone manufacturers would love to implement something similar, but Apple’s mishandling of the whole thing has made the idea so toxic that no other manufacturer would dare copy … WAITAMINIT 🤔
    JWSC