BMW to charge drivers $80 per year for CarPlay access in 2019

Comments

• Reply 21 of 73
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Apple should yank their licenses from BMW for their attempt to make more money on a feature this Apple developed, all BMW had to do was intergrade Apple Carplay into their unit.
    watto_cobrabloggerblogzroger73
  • Reply 22 of 73
    BebeBebe Posts: 145member
    Pathetic move, indeed. Never like BMWs, so it won’t matter to me, lol. 
  • Reply 23 of 73
    That takes BMW off the list of dealers for me to go to for my next car. That is just crazy. I'm guessing they will see the light and reverse this decision once they see enough WTF looks from customers.
    watto_cobradysamoria
  • Reply 24 of 73
    clexmanclexman Posts: 209member
    This probably has more to do with used car sales than anything else. CarPlay is now cheaper for people buying a new car.

I'm willing to bet that if you buy a certified pre-owned BMW from a dealer, it will come with a free year of CarPlay.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 73
    JWSCJWSC Posts: 1,203member

As an owner of a 2014 328i who loves driving his car, I say “BOO BMW!”

BMW didn’t have CarPlay in 2014 so I’ve been driving without and using BMW’s third rate media interface.  I almost think that because they make great cars, by extension they think they also make great auto electronics interfaces.  Pure hubris.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 73
    Why are they asking for a subscription fee ?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 73
    stacheowiczstacheowicz Posts: 2unconfirmed, member
    My 2017 MercedesHas Carplay and the Android version. Or you can disable them and just use the built in system. BMW has jumped the shark. This is shameless. Do you have to pay extra for FM too.
    watto_cobraJWSC
  • Reply 28 of 73
    BMW has always been sucking the kneecaps. When you put your car in service they charge $50 for misc. rags. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 73
    Just having to setup and track the subscriptions, collect the payments and handle the unavoidable snafus is going to eat most of the $80/year. It’s creating a lot of antagonism for a very debatable payoff. I think it shows how incredibly tone deaf BMW management is, and how the nickel-and-diming of the customer is engrained in their corporate culture. Yeah, they make nice cars, but they don’t exactly have a reputation for reliability. Don’t be surprised if you see them backpedaling soon when they start realizing this stupid move is costing them sales. Go Tesla!
    watto_cobranetmage
  • Reply 30 of 73
    Why are they asking for a subscription fee ?
    Because they can.
  • Reply 31 of 73
    Another reason not to buy one then, as there’s many car companies who don’t charge at all, crazy.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 73
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Balderdash. 

They say say the reason is that some people may want to switch to Android further down the line. Then why not supply both up front, like every other car manufacturer. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 73
    Silly $ grab.  Must think their customers are dumb.  I enjoyed Bimmers through the E39 generation.  They no longer have the magic.  Process has overtaken content.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 73
    sandorsandor Posts: 658member
    I have a 2016 VW Golf 1.8 TSI S- the standard model in the US- and it included both Android Auto and Apple CarPlay and not on a subscription. This is just greed on a scale beyond tolerance- especially since many BMWs are built by non Union labor in the American South instead of in high wage Germany. They are getting ready to shift production of even more of the US line to a new plant in Mexico- so your "German" car was actually built by people who speak Spanish.

But the price will not drop one red cent.

The greed by car manufacturers is just beyond the pale. If VW can give you CarPlay AND Android Auto on a VW costing less than 20k, why does BMW need to charge $80 a year to people who have already overpaid for the "Ultimate Hype Machine"?

VW has manufactured tens of  thousands of US-bound cars in Brazil & Mexico over the years. 
    Robots are more efficient than humans.
  • Reply 35 of 73
    BMW may have seriously misjudged the market here, and is looking at a major backlash.

Factory CarPlay is rapidly becoming one of the key features people look for in a car at baseline.

Car features as a subscription model are not accepted in the market .

The key to acceptance of subscription pricing is delivering improvements or enhancements that have perceived value.

in the case of CarPlay little to none of those are coming from BMW , at least no more than your home TV , and overwhelmingly updated an improvements are from Apple, and are not part of the car.

if they want subscription to be successful, they need to do something to earn it, and CarPlay isn’t it
  • Reply 36 of 73
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    JWSC said:

As an owner of a 2014 328i who loves driving his car, I say “BOO BMW!”

BMW didn’t have CarPlay in 2014 so I’ve been driving without and using BMW’s third rate media interface.  I almost think that because they make great cars, by extension they think they also make great auto electronics interfaces.  Pure hubris.

I'm constantly amazed at how poor these interfaces are. Clearly automobile manufacturers are clueless about software that humans are supposed to interact with.
    JWSC
  • Reply 37 of 73
    GG1GG1 Posts: 483member
    The only way I can justify this in my mind is if there are other software updates at the same time (BMW's navigation maps, iDrive, etc.). I believe BMW charge for navigation maps updates. Of course, with CarPlay, the iPhone has the latest maps already, so that cuts off one recurring revenue stream. Perhaps this $80 yearly charge may be the response to that lost revenue.

Just like some of my friends make car decisions based on CarPlay or not (Toyota taking the hit here), this decision will affect further BMW purchases, including mine.

I think Uroshnor is correct - there will be a backlash.
  • Reply 38 of 73
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    How pathetic is this!?

It is this kind of laughable nickel-and-diming that led me to abandon BMW and switch to an Audi when I bought a new car six months ago. 
    Ditto. So many things in the Premium Plus trim level that BMW definitely nickel-and-dimes you for, not the least of which is the awesome B&O sound system.
  • Reply 39 of 73
    airnerdairnerd Posts: 693member
    What they don't discuss is that you will still pay a premium for CarPlay and then the $80 fee, so it's just an additional fee.  If they were dropping the price of CarPlay models $300 they might have a point, but we all know they won't.  

Did Ubisoft take over BMW or something?
  • Reply 40 of 73
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member

I have a 2016 VW Golf 1.8 TSI S- the standard model in the US- and it included both Android Auto and Apple CarPlay and not on a subscription. This is just greed on a scale beyond tolerance- especially since many BMWs are built by non Union labor in the American South instead of in high wage Germany. They are getting ready to shift production of even more of the US line to a new plant in Mexico- so your "German" car was actually built by people who speak Spanish.

But the price will not drop one red cent.

The greed by car manufacturers is just beyond the pale. If VW can give you CarPlay AND Android Auto on a VW costing less than 20k, why does BMW need to charge $80 a year to people who have already overpaid for the "Ultimate Hype Machine"?
    The majority of 3-series BMWs are now made in South Africa. Some of the X1s are made in Brazil. X3, X4, X5, & X6 are all made in South Carolina. 4, 5, 6 series and up all made in Germany. Many 2-series models also still seem to be made in Germany. But get this, Audi Q3 models are made in Spain, at least some of the 2018 Q5 models are made in Mexico, A3 models are Hungarian, yet they all still sport VIN numbers that start with "W" which I thought was supposed to mean they were manufactured in Germany. No so much anymore. Also, at least half of the C-Class Benzes I've seen are from Alabama. But they, at least, have VIN numbers that begin with a number. 
    edited January 2018