Apple slugs it out with HBO over new J.J. Abrams TV drama - report

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2018
A bidding war has reportedly broken out between Apple and HBO for rights to a new science fiction drama written by Star Trek director and Lost co-creator J.J. Abrams.

The series would "deal with a world's battle against a monstrous, oppressive force," according to Variety. Abrams would both write and take an executive producer's credit, with Warner Brothers slated to produce the series.

There is no word on how much the rights to the series might go for.

Any series from Abrams is likely to be a winner for the company that secures it. Abrams has not only created and produced a number of incredibly successful shows - including Lost, Alias, and Westworld - but has also gained fame in recent years as a director.

He has helmed installments of two of science fiction's most legendary properties with his Star Trek reboot and the recent Star Wars series, with more installments on the way in both universes.

Last week, Apple reportedly picked up another sci-fi drama from Peaky Blinders creator Steven Knight. The company is said to have budgeted as much as $1 billion for original content in its new worldwide video division.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    I would not want to be in a bidding with with Apple.🍸🙀
    edited January 2018 christopher126racerhomie3lkrupp
  • Reply 2 of 13
    Apple is sending a message to the cable/media dinosaurs...it doesn't matter what Apple bids, as long as they win.

It's an investment. One day more movies will be viewed in iTunes than viewed at movies theaters. Then TV!

Tim already said, a few years back, when he sits down to watch TV, it's like he stepped back in time to the 1990's!

I agree w/ him. I pay a little more for a purchase/rental of iTunes movies and tv shows to "support the future" and the demise of the cable/media dinosaurs!

I don't like Netflix, movie theaters, DVD's, RedBox, HBO, Network television or the cable companies! :)

I'll be quite happy with a 4K 85" dumb flat-screen TV, a 4K AppleTV, iTunes and one or two HomePods. I want the cable company to be just the 'pipes.' That is until something better comes along. :)
    edited January 2018 racerhomie3watto_cobragoodbyeranch
  • Reply 3 of 13
    J.J. Abrams and Apple not a good combination.  Makes Apple look cheap.  J.J. Abrams destroyed the Star Trek franchise.
    macplusplusbloggerblogjony0
  • Reply 4 of 13
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,152member
    Will the series feature lens flares?
  • Reply 5 of 13
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    macseeker said:
    J.J. Abrams and Apple not a good combination.  Makes Apple look cheap.  J.J. Abrams destroyed the Star Trek franchise.
    The first Abrams Trek was a big success and widely hailed as revival of the franchise. But it went down hill from there. The last one was a mess with too much CG
  • Reply 6 of 13
    Advice to HBO: Let the Wookie win.
    cyberzombieSpamSandwichkingofsomewherehot
  • Reply 7 of 13
    What is Apple’s end goal with this? Get another $15/mo out of the install base?
  • Reply 8 of 13
    macseeker said:

Agreed. I gave up on TV after LOST. I'm not going to waste years on a show that might go to hell by the third season or have a garbage finale.

With movies, I dont waste more than a couple hours and probably get some closure.

• Reply 9 of 13
    JJ is overrated, his Star Wars lacked vision and a feeling of adventure. He should learn from the Duffer Brothers on how to deliver a storyline. 
  • Reply 10 of 13
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    jd_in_sb said:
    macseeker said:
    The first Abrams Trek was a big success and widely hailed as revival of the franchise. But it went down hill from there. The last one was a mess with too much CG
    The second movie with Benedict Cumberbatch as Kahn was superlative. The third was okay. But in keeping with the negative imperative around here sure, trash J.J. Abrams and the Start Trek franchise all you want. Meanwhile Brian Wilson went back to his high school to receive a corrected grade on the first song he wrote for a class exercise. The music teacher gave him an F for his effort. That song went on to be the Beach Boy’s first singles hit... Surfin.

"Back in 1959, Brian Wilson submitted a song to his high-school music class. His teacher gave him an "F." Nearly 60 years later, the current principal of the school turned that grade into an "A." And the song he wrote that got him that “F" turned out to be the Beach Boys' first hit single a couple years later: "Surfin'."

So much for critics and their opinions.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

What is Apple’s end goal with this? Get another $15/mo out of the install base?
    This entire thread is nothing but snark. This place has become a cesspool of negativity and cynicism. 
    jony0
  • Reply 12 of 13
    JJ is overrated, his Star Wars lacked vision and a feeling of adventure. He should learn from the Duffer Brothers on how to deliver a storyline. 
    No matter what are the feelings on him, he still has the third part of the current Star Wars trilogy on his plate.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    macseeker said:
    Oh, you have an opinion... isn't that nice.  
    How well does the evidence support your opinion?  I seem to recall that his movies in the Star Trek and Star Wars franchises did quite well... Is it possible your opinion is shared by few others?
    (Not that "everyone likes it so it must be good" is a valid argument either.... but it IS good business.) ;) 
    applepieguy