iPhone owners will be able to disable CPU throttling in future iOS version, Cook says

Comments

• Reply 41 of 99
    jumejume Posts: 209member
    It's a good decision by Apple. Thank you. I don't want you throttle my CPU and this is the solution.

I wonder were are now all the people who were yelling at us how wrong would this feature be and Apple was right to throttle CPU without us knowing :smile: ?
    edited January 2018
  • Reply 42 of 99
    I also want an option to allow the cpu to overheat and cause the phone to be bricked. 
    watto_cobrabonobobMisterKit
  • Reply 43 of 99
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    I also want an option to allow the cpu to overheat and cause the phone to be bricked. 
    Isn’t this the same thing?

Or can we safely assume that the phone will always shut down before this happens?

Thinking about it, overheating is a different problem, so yes, you’ll need to contact Apple if you want that option added. 🙂

edited January 2018 watto_cobrajbdragonMisterKit
  • Reply 44 of 99

ksec said:
    What I think are the most humorous aspects of the whole thing is that:

Only the most demanding users actually noticed any slowdown of their 3 year old iPhone.
    #2 The slowdown only occurred during peak power demand.
    #3 The slowdown during peak power demand was barely noticeable and had to be verified with test equipment
    #4 The complainers put up with the sudden crashes, realizing that they had an old, chemically weakened battery
    #5 Users with older iPhones never thought to replace their older battery (cost $79)
    #6 Everybody has had to replace a car battery (life expectancy about 3 - 4 years on average).  Cost about $80 - $120.
    #7 Everybody has had to replace car tires (life expectancy about 3 - 4 years on average).  Cost about $300 - $400.
    #8 None of the plaintiffs knew that car batteries and tires wear out and will need to be replaced
    #9 Nobody has ever accused car manufacturers of planned obsolescence caused by battery/tire life span
    #10 Those that didn't replace the $79 batteries, on their 3 year old $700 device, feel they have been harmed to the tune of $20,000
    #11 None of the plaintiffs realize they'll never see more than a $100 coupon (redeemable when they purchase an Apple product)
    #12 Plaintiffs' attorneys will rake in millions in fees when the plaintiffs receive the $100 coupons (and that's OK with the plaintiffs).
    You see, that is EXACTLY the problem Apple has.

1, 2, 3 = No.
    Twitter is filled with examples how new battery gave them a much better phone. Real Life experience too with myself and friends.

Replace Cars - Batteries tires. 6,7. 8
    This is basically common sense is uncommon. Lots of people dont have cars, lots of people dont know when tires needs to be replaced. What they do know is that you are mandated to a car check every year and technicians will tell you what needs to be replaced for it to be on the road.

What all users wants, and it is only fair doing so, is to tell them they have a significant impact on performance, and should change their battery.

Heck many didn't knew iPhone could have their battery replaced. They thought it was integrated. Some know it could but didn't know Apple offers the services themselves. 

While i agree it is silly to bring this to court, ( but I assume this is an America's thing ) saying this is users's ignorance is pure xxxxxx ( What's the word )

But there is already a “battery knackered” warning built into the settings. 

watto_cobra
  • Reply 45 of 99
    jume said:
    It's a good decision by Apple. Thank you. I don't want you throttle my CPU and this is the solution.

I wonder were are now all the people who were yelling at us how wrong would this feature be and Apple was right to throttle CPU without us knowing :smile: ?
    Well, I said that it would be wrong to add this option and I’m still here. 

Interesting point though. 

Yesterday, there were lots of people screaming to have it added. 

Today we we have lots people saying it’s a bad idea. 

Just goes to to show you can’t please everyone. 

edited January 2018 watto_cobramacxpressjbdragon
  • Reply 46 of 99
    Don't see the point in this, or why anyone would want to risk a restart to get the camera app to open a few miliseconds faster?

It's putting a plaster (band-aid) on a broken leg to me, the damage done was the initial non-disclosure of the throttling and subsequent hoards of users who upgraded as a result. This neither rectifies that nor compensates - however I can't see what actions could.
  • Reply 47 of 99

#6 Everybody has had to replace a car battery (life expectancy about 3 - 4 years on average).  Cost about $80 - $120.
    #7 Everybody has had to replace car tires (life expectancy about 3 - 4 years on average).  Cost about $300 - $400.
    #8 None of the plaintiffs knew that car batteries and tires wear out and will need to be replaced
    #9 Nobody has ever accused car manufacturers of planned obsolescence caused by battery/tire life span

im imagine if Apple Car happens.
  • Reply 48 of 99
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    JFC_PA said:
    More user control is always welcome. 
    Until they get their motherboards damaged.
    This is a bad move.
    So you're changing your opinion from "Apple always knows what they're doing" to "Apple is wrong". Hmmm. 
    larryamuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 49 of 99
    aylkaylk Posts: 54member

#1 Only the most demanding users actually noticed any slowdown of their 3 year old iPhone.
    #3 The slowdown during peak power demand was barely noticeable and had to be verified with test equipment
    These statements are false.

kamilton said:
    I suspect the average iPhone user has about 50% the knowledge of iOS that the average Appleinider reader has.  Perhaps even less.  For the majority of iOS users, automatically reducing power consumption in order to optimize battery life is just good engineering.  Further it’s nothing new.  This tech is highly advanced, AI mediated, genius stuff!  I cannot believe anyone with a brain thinks this is an issue worthy of a moments thought.  In fact, why am I commenting!  
    Apple is throttling performance even when connected to power through the lightning port. Is that genius? I guess it depends on what's their intention behind it...
    edited January 2018
  • Reply 50 of 99
    linkmanlinkman Posts: 1,035member
    The user controlled switch might work OK if they include a battery health indicator.

The indicator should be added anyway, ala the one in macOS for laptops.

Rayz2016
  • Reply 51 of 99
    designr said:
    Cue: People getting pissed because their phone is shutting down and restarting at unexpected and inopportune times.

And suing Apple because of it!
    jbdragon
  • Reply 52 of 99
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Perhaps of some importance the Apple public apology letter doesn't mention any user choice setting to disable throttling, instead announcing forthcoming improvements in the way your iPhone shows battery status/condition and a clearer message to users on the effect their battery condition has on their phone's performance. So it's possible that Mr. Cook was simply confused and misspoke. Before getting too animated about a toggle setting and what it means for the customer experience it might be best to wait a day or so for further clarification from Apple
    https://www.apple.com/iphone-battery-and-performance/
    edited January 2018
  • Reply 53 of 99
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    slurpy said:
    eriamjh said:
    Giving users choice is something that Apple is not wont to do.   Usually a Apple knows best and keeps it that way.   

Yes, Apple does know best. Most users are morons, hence the traction and outrage this "controversy" has gotten. But sure, Apple should give the user more control, so certain users can decide to screw themselves. Their prerogative. Just don't go fucking suing Apple when your phone restarts during some critical moment. 
    Of course that's what users are going to do. Apple is damned if they do and damned if they don't. Apparently, Apple is supposed to make a 100% perfect phone for everyone 100% of the time and if its not 100% then Apple should be sued because obviously if it doesn't work 100% of the time its Apple doing planned obsolesce. 

It'll be interesting to see how many users keep this option enabled. I for one would rather have a throttled phone than a phone with a battery that goes 30/15/10/5/0 in a span of 10-15 minutes which is what it can do because I actually experienced this on my old iPhone 6s until I got the battery replaced under the iPhone 6s battery replacement program. 
    jbdragon
  • Reply 54 of 99
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Rayz2016 said:
    a very fast scoop by AI by the way. Good job. 
    X2...We don't give AI credit sometimes. All we want to do is complain about how the article is written or whatever. Good job AppleInsider! 
  • Reply 55 of 99
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Apple needs to hire good politician in PR team. Done good for people is not people think good for them. Instead of takig high road, sometime take treacherous road where let users demand for slowing down CPU in exchange for stability. Alternatively, give them that option in Settings to turn ON/OFF.
  • Reply 56 of 99
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    aylk said:

#1 Only the most demanding users actually noticed any slowdown of their 3 year old iPhone.
    These statements are false.

kamilton said:
    I suspect the average iPhone user has about 50% the knowledge of iOS that the average Appleinider reader has.  Perhaps even less.  For the majority of iOS users, automatically reducing power consumption in order to optimize battery life is just good engineering.  Further it’s nothing new.  This tech is highly advanced, AI mediated, genius stuff!  I cannot believe anyone with a brain thinks this is an issue worthy of a moments thought.  In fact, why am I commenting!  
    Apple is throttling performance even when connected to power through the lightning port. Is that genius? I guess it depends on what's their intention behind it...
    Only if your fucking phone is about to crash anyway and not in all circumstances because all power management goes through the. Battery like in all other phones in which your battery would also be dead

At full charge crappy battery  may in fact be able to handle the load and not at 20%
    From my experience of other old phones plugged in that indeed they are never so hot in perf
  • Reply 57 of 99
    designr said:
    Cue: People getting pissed because their phone is shutting down and restarting at unexpected and inopportune times.
    And filing a class action suit against Apple...
    anything for their 15pico seconds of fame.
    jbdragon
  • Reply 58 of 99
    linkman said:
    The user controlled switch might work OK if they include a battery health indicator.

The indicator should be added anyway, ala the one in macOS for laptops.

In his interview, Cook said that they did mention that the CPU was throttled if the battery’s age became a problem, but people weren’t paying attention. 

How many times has this battery indicator been pointed at, shown, talked about and linked to – and still folk are coming back and demanding that Apple put in a battery health indicator. 

StrangeDays
  • Reply 59 of 99
    designr said:
    And filing a class action suit against Apple...
    anything for their 15pico seconds of fame.
    Apple probably needs to figure out a way to detect that the crash preference was set. The trick is reading the indicator from a bricked phone. 
    edited January 2018
  • Reply 60 of 99
    Surely a better option would be to show a dialogue box warning that, “the battery can no longer deliver peak current and the performance may be impacted until a new battery is fitted”. This should also be reflected in the battery health information - I understand there is currently no indication of this problem at all. 

Apple would need to decide the most appropriate time to display it, to avoid it becoming annoying.