Apple's iOS platform advantage in fixing bugs is beating Google's Android

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 26
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    gatorguy said:
    Only a small fraction of Android devices get critical security updates (Pixel, Galaxy or other flagships). Others might get updates within the 1st year (with no guarantee how often you might get them) and the rest don’t get any updates the day after you activate it.

I’m still amazed how many people overlook (or put up with) the absolutely horrible update situation on Android. It’s also interesting how little talk there is about Meltdown/Spectre in regards to Android and the fact most devices in the world WON’T get an update for this. Everyone’s focused on Intel, Microsoft and Apple and how long it’ll be until they’re patched, while a billion mobile devices are sitting out in the wild forever vulnerable. 

This is the single most significant advantage iOS has over Android (and it’s a biggie).
    MOST Android devices already received updates that helped protect Android users from much of the Meltdown/Spectre vulnerabilities ...
    and by chance as it were.

An exploit affecting Linux from this past year was patched, with the changes rolled out to the majority of Android devices last year. Because of that much of the exposure to Meltdown/Spectre was already mitigated altho it was not obvious at the time.  Using those exploits against most Android phones would be "difficult and limited" today according to the security professionals who discovered and researched it. That's probably why you aren't seeing sky-is-falling hand-wringing regarding Android and Meltdown/Spectre. Luck. 

I love your careful wording. 

“much of the Meltdown/Spectre vulnerabilities ...”

https://support.google.com/faqs/answer/7622138

This is the link you provided in the other thread. Notice how there are significant updates within the last 2 months. Are you going to claim that MOST Android devices have received these updates?

Further, Google has said there are future updates coming to aid in mitigating these exploits. Are you going to claim MOST Android users will receive these future updates as well?

Finally, Google had this to say with regards to the above link for Meltdown/Spectre:

“Exploitation for many issues on Android is made more difficult by enhancements in newer versions of the Android platform. We encourage all users to update to the latest version of Android where possible.”

Newer versions of Android. How many users get those?

Oh, when are you going to stop with this BS about Android getting regular updates when you know damn well most Android devices don’t receive them? It’s not like you haven’t had this pounded into your head countless times over the years.

He's not going to stop lying...although it seems to annoy him when folks call him out on the lying.  It interferes with his crafted image of "reasonable opposition".
  • Reply 22 of 26
    techrulestechrules Posts: 53unconfirmed, member
    I personally carry an iPhone and a Pixel 2 XL.   The Pixel 2 was patched for Spectre and Meltdown before my iPhone.   Plus since Google found the flaws think they are just going to be able to do a better job keeping the phone safe.

But it is not only Spectre and Meltdown.   Google found Broadpwn, Heartbleed, Cloudbleed and all the other major flaws.  Plus Google is the only big tech company i am aware of that has not been hacked.   Think there is probably a reason Apple pays Google for cloud services.

"Apple signs up to Google Cloud services"

BTW, the Pixel 2 XL is the first Android phone I have used that is as smooth as an iPhone.   I now prefer Android over iOS and to get the smoothness of an iPhone, better security, latest version of the OS and then things like unlimited Google Photos storage to me makes it so think I will be carrying a Pixel phone for a long time.

My favorite feature of the Pixel 2 is something I thought was such a gimmick before buying the phone is the squeeze.   My biggest gripe is no headphone jack.   I am also unusual, I think, in that I much prefer the fingerprint sensor on the back of the phone.
    edited January 2018
  • Reply 23 of 26
    techrulestechrules Posts: 53unconfirmed, member

“Apple Maps search is terrible; when I look for virtually anything at any time, I'm pushed asinine results from thousands of miles away that couldn't possibly pass any competent sanity test.”

Here is a great comparison of Apple Maps and Google 

https://www.justinobeirne.com/google-maps-moat/

• Reply 24 of 26
    techrules said:

“Apple Maps search is terrible; when I look for virtually anything at any time, I'm pushed asinine results from thousands of miles away that couldn't possibly pass any competent sanity test.”

Here is a great comparison of Apple Maps and Google 

https://www.justinobeirne.com/google-maps-moat/

Interesting comparison but some things are ignored in Googles Maps favor. The examples don’t show some features on the Apple Maps version because they come and go based on zoom level. Also, one of the compared Maps shows Google Maps with buildings but missing streets that Apple Maps did have. I think streets are more important, and yes, Apple Maps is not 100% on those either. 
  • Reply 25 of 26
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    Dracarys said:
    I seriously don't know how anyone actually installs anything from Google in their house.....with Google listening to their every word for marketing..... It bugs me that my Sony TV uses Android...
    Because Google Assistant is fantastic.

Why does it bug you that your TV uses Android? 

techrules said:
    I personally carry an iPhone and a Pixel 2 XL.   The Pixel 2 was patched for Spectre and Meltdown before my iPhone.   Plus since Google found the flaws think they are just going to be able to do a better job keeping the phone safe.

But it is not only Spectre and Meltdown.   Google found Broadpwn, Heartbleed, Cloudbleed and all the other major flaws.  Plus Google is the only big tech company i am aware of that has not been hacked.   Think there is probably a reason Apple pays Google for cloud services.

"Apple signs up to Google Cloud services"

BTW, the Pixel 2 XL is the first Android phone I have used that is as smooth as an iPhone.   I now prefer Android over iOS and to get the smoothness of an iPhone, better security, latest version of the OS and then things like unlimited Google Photos storage to me makes it so think I will be carrying a Pixel phone for a long time.

My favorite feature of the Pixel 2 is something I thought was such a gimmick before buying the phone is the squeeze.   My biggest gripe is no headphone jack.   I am also unusual, I think, in that I much prefer the fingerprint sensor on the back of the phone.

Renee Ritchie had a very good vector  Podcast Friday,Jan 12,2018, about why Siri is so far behind.  

What blew me away is that Amazon has 12,000 people working on Alexa.   No wonder Alexa has expanded so quickly and is getting integrated with so many products.    I love my SONOS ONEs.   HOMEPODs aren't even out yet and it seems like they have already lost (even though they really haven't).   The Vector podcast really brings up the idea that Apple isn't even competing and Cook is letting the future slip away.   This of course ignored because of the ever increasing profits in the recent past and immediate future

edited January 2018
  • Reply 26 of 26
    Dracarys said:
    I seriously don't know how anyone actually installs anything from Google in their house.....with Google listening to their every word for marketing..... It bugs me that my Sony TV uses Android...
    Because Google Assistant is fantastic.

Why does it bug you that your TV uses Android? 

Google retains to much of your personal information and searches from internet for Google Assistant to work. I can hack a Android Device with little effort, but very hard to do so in Apple iOS. I not against neither one, just saying Android OS being open source has it’s pros and cons as Apple iOS being a closed source also has it’s pros and cons. In my personal opinion I rather have a restrictive closed source OS that has great security then have a open source OS any day!