Watch: Apple's iMac Pro vs 2013 Mac Pro (Part 1) - benchmarks and specs

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2020
In the first part of our series, we put our $5,000 iMac Pro to the test against one of the most popular configurations of the Mac Pro, to see how much of a performance difference you can expect between the two machines.

Apple's announcement of the iMac Pro renewed the company's commitment to support professionals with high-end hardware that can handle difficult tasks. The last time Apple released a pro desktop was in late 2013 with the cylindrical Mac Pro, which featured a daring redesign and a very compact footprint.

Since the launch of the latest Mac Pro, however, Apple hasn't made any changes or upgrades to the system, leaving many professionals that purchased it waiting for an update with more powerful hardware. In the spring of 2017, Phil Schiller and Craig Federighi met with the press and admitted that the lack of Mac Pro updates was due to thermal limitations, and that an all new modular Mac Pro with a standalone Pro display is set to debut in 2018, likely near the end of the year.

Apple also showed off the iMac Pro, which is now available to purchase, and which features powerful high-end hardware combined with a beautiful 5K display. This may leave Mac Pro owners wondering if they should wait for a modular Mac Pro or upgrade to the iMac Pro. The all-in-one should have better performance than their current Mac Pro and will most likely be a better value than a future Mac Pro since it comes with a display, keyboard, and a mouse.

The Mac Pro we're using in this comparison originally retailed for over $7,000, but with the latest price drops it comes in at just $4,999. Thats the same exact price as our iMac Pro, albeit without the display or accessories.

Both computers have 8-core processors, 32GB of RAM, and 1TB of SSD storage. The Mac Pro has dual AMD D700 graphics cards, each with 6GB of memory, whereas our iMac Pro has a single AMD Vega 56 GPU with 8GB of HBM2 memory.

The specs are fairly simple, but with chips that are four years newer, how much faster is the iMac Pro?

Kicking off the tests, we're looking at SSD performance. The iMac Pro's NVME SSDs are about twice as fast, with write speeds reaching 3000MB/s.

Next we used Geekbench 4, a cross platform benchmark that tests a variety of CPU tasks. In the Multi-Core test, our iMac Pro comes in with a respectable 30 percent higher score.

Looking at single cores speeds, the iMac Pro leads by about 35 percent.

Testing OpenCL graphics performance, the Vega 56 is about 65 percent faster, but Geekbench is only testing one of the two D700 graphics cards. This means if we double the score, the Mac Pro has more raw graphics power, but we'll wait and see if our real world programs can effectively utilize both graphics cards to make a real world difference.

Taking another look at graphics, but this time with Unigine Heaven (a gaming performance benchmark that will max out the graphics card), we found it could only use one graphics card yet again, averaging 29 frames per second. By comparison, the iMac Pro averaged almost 73 frames per second. As far as gaming goes, dual graphics cards typically don't perform at twice the level of a single unit.

Let's finish off the benchmarks with Cinebench R15, a 3D animation benchmark that will push the 8-core processors to their limits. Our iMac Pro scored 1682, over 50 percent higher raw CPU power when we're maxing them out.

In conclusion, we saw some good performance gains with the new iMac Pro, especially when pushing the machines to their limits. In part two of our series, well take a look at photo editing performance and talk about upgradability, so be sure to subscribe to our YouTube channel for details.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 34
    focherfocher Posts: 687member
    I have the 10 core, and I immediately noticed a drastic improvement in video transcodong. 1080p now pretty much happens in faster-than-real-time. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 34
    It’s... it’s.... such a frickin’ cool machine. After long time finally again a Mac that inspires “me want” on a completely emotional basis (9700, sunflower iMac, G4 cube, titanium MBP... come  to my mind) - apart from being objectively a beast as well. 
    I’m thinking to exchange my new 2017 iMac with the basic pro version. 
    Must.... resist. 

Maybe. 
    edited January 2018 watto_cobramacxpressScot1randominternetpersonGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 3 of 34
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    Certainly the 2013 Mac Pro isn't a great deal anymore, even with the reduced pricing... especially for the higher cost models. Unless you don't want the single-use-display, you'd be nuts to buy a Mac Pro that costs the same or more as the iMac Pro. But, given that I've seen some refurb 4-core Mac Pros for as little as $1500 and 6-core starting around $2000... I wonder how those would compare if costs were considered? (i.e.: is the iMac Pro 3x the machine for 3x the price?)
    watto_cobrawilliamlondon
  • Reply 4 of 34
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    cgWerks said:
    Certainly the 2013 Mac Pro isn't a great deal anymore, even with the reduced pricing... especially for the higher cost models. Unless you don't want the single-use-display, you'd be nuts to buy a Mac Pro that costs the same or more as the iMac Pro. But, given that I've seen some refurb 4-core Mac Pros for as little as $1500 and 6-core starting around $2000... I wonder how those would compare if costs were considered? (i.e.: is the iMac Pro 3x the machine for 3x the price?)
    Maybe the iMac Pro is 3x the price, but you also have to factor in that the Mac Pro's you're seeing will get older far quicker than the iMac Pro. Its already 6yrs old and counting. So is it worth getting a 6yr old Mac just to save a few coins? 
  • Reply 5 of 34
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member

It’s... it’s.... such a frickin’ cool machine. After long time finally again a Mac that inspires “me want” on a completely emotional basis (9700, sunflower iMac, G4 cube, titanium MBP... come  to my mind) - apart from being objectively a beast as well. 
    I’m thinking to exchange my new 2017 iMac with the basic pro version. 
    Must.... resist. 

Maybe. 
    I know right! I so want one of these and I haven't had this feeling in quite a while. I have absolutely no use for it what so ever, but man I really like it. 
    Scot1watto_cobratenchi211
  • Reply 6 of 34
    You're also getting the best 5K screen available in the bargain.  And four TB3 ports.  And heat and electricity hasn't been frying the internals for several years.  The comparison isn't even in the same galaxy.  I have the iMac Pro and am never looking back.
    watto_cobraStrangeDayswilliamlondon
  • Reply 7 of 34
    kent909kent909 Posts: 731member
    No surprises here. Newer technology is faster than older technology. 
    watto_cobraStrangeDayswilliamlondon
  • Reply 8 of 34
    I received my 10 core iMac Pro on December 26th 2017.  I noticed immediately that 95% of the time when I woke my iMac Pro from sleep all the external USB drives were ejected.  This occurred for various external USB3 hard drives from different manufacturers as well as with a Sandisk Extreme 64 GB USB3 flash drive and a 16 GB USB2 Kingston flash drive.  I also discovered that I could not boot into Windows 10 if any external hard drives were connected and that I could not use the Option key> Storage Manager to boot into Windows 10 regardless of whether USB drives were connected or not.  I filed a formal case with Apple Support on January 2, 2018 and I have since been in touch with a total of five Apple Support contacts regarding these two issues -- three of whom are Senior Advisors.  To date, the problem still exists, and I still have an open case with Apple.  I have been using the iMac Pro with Thunderbolt 3 and Thunderbolt 2 external hard drives without any problems as long as I do not attach USB drives to the iMac Pro and put it to sleep.  

I have also done extensive editing in FCP 10.4 (latest version) with my iMac Pro.  While some things are indeed faster than my fully maxed out Late 2013 Mac Pro cylinder, I have found that for many common tasks the CPU's and presumably the graphics card are not being used to full efficiency by the iMac Pro in FCP 10.4.  Overall, I have been disappointed with my purchase of this nearly $9,000 computer and especially with the fact that after more than two weeks of working with Apple Senior Advisors (who in turn are passing along information to an engineering team) I am no more able to effectively utilize USB external hard drives with my iMac Pro than I was the day I received it form Apple. 

Tom
    xzudeepinsider
  • Reply 9 of 34
    tnw2933 said:
    I received my 10 core iMac Pro on December 26th 2017.  I noticed immediately that 95% of the time when I woke my iMac Pro from sleep all the external USB drives were ejected.  This occurred for various external USB3 hard drives from different manufacturers as well as with a Sandisk Extreme 64 GB USB3 flash drive and a 16 GB USB2 Kingston flash drive.  I also discovered that I could not boot into Windows 10 if any external hard drives were connected and that I could not use the Option key> Storage Manager to boot into Windows 10 regardless of whether USB drives were connected or not.  I filed a formal case with Apple Support on January 2, 2018 and I have since been in touch with a total of five Apple Support contacts regarding these two issues -- three of whom are Senior Advisors.  To date, the problem still exists, and I still have an open case with Apple.  I have been using the iMac Pro with Thunderbolt 3 and Thunderbolt 2 external hard drives without any problems as long as I do not attach USB drives to the iMac Pro and put it to sleep.  

I have also done extensive editing in FCP 10.4 (latest version) with my iMac Pro.  While some things are indeed faster than my fully maxed out Late 2013 Mac Pro cylinder, I have found that for many common tasks the CPU's and presumably the graphics card are not being used to full efficiency by the iMac Pro in FCP 10.4.  Overall, I have been disappointed with my purchase of this nearly $9,000 computer and especially with the fact that after more than two weeks of working with Apple Senior Advisors (who in turn are passing along information to an engineering team) I am no more able to effectively utilize USB external hard drives with my iMac Pro than I was the day I received it form Apple. 

Tom
    Sounds like a bummer.  Just curious, have they acknowledged that they can reproduce the problem you're experiencing on their own machines?  If not, have you asked for a replacement?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 34
    focherfocher Posts: 687member
    tnw2933 said:
    I'm not disputing your experience, but just saying that I have the same usage scenarios and do not experience those problems. USB3 drive connected, and was never disconnected during sleep/wake up cycle. Windows 10 on a Bootcamp partition works fine with the same USB3 attached, along with a Thunderbolt 2 storage (with Thunderbolt 3 adapter) attached.
    watto_cobradeepinsiderwilliamlondon
  • Reply 11 of 34
    For WORKING VIDEO PROFESSIONALS, the most popular model of the iMac Pro is:   10-core processors, 64 GB of RAM,  Radeon Vega 64 and 2TB of SSD storage for $8000. This has the fastest single-core speed with the most cores. It is good for a balanced workflow including Photoshop work and Final Cut Pro work.  If work is primarily in Final Cut Pro, then next year's 18-core processors are much more useful to save time.

The author of this article is overly concerned about the cost of the iMac Pro and goes for the cheapest but slowest model. He doesn't do much video work

But for WORKING VIDEO PROFESSIONALS, the iMac Pro easily pays for itself in time saved.  The time saved is easily equivalent to an extra week of vacation each year - OR MORE.

hodarwatto_cobraStrangeDayswilliamlondonphilboogie
  • Reply 12 of 34
    tnw2933 said:

Tom
    Sounds like a bummer.  Just curious, have they acknowledged that they can reproduce the problem you're experiencing on their own machines?  If not, have you asked for a replacement?
    The Senior Advisors that I have talked with do not have an iMac Pro to even attempt to replicate the problems with.  I have not only asked for a replacement but I have offered to have Apple put a charge on my credit card for a second iMac Pro identical to the one I now have in order to send me a new iMac Pro by Advance Placement ensuring the minimum down time while an exchange is made.  So far, all I get out of The Senior Advisors is "let's keep working on this" and that is the status that has held for The last two weeks plus. 
    hodarchia
  • Reply 13 of 34

focher said:
    tnw2933 said:
    I'm not disputing your experience, but just saying that I have the same usage scenarios and do not experience those problems. USB3 drive connected, and was never disconnected during sleep/wake up cycle. Windows 10 on a Bootcamp partition works fine with the same USB3 attached, along with a Thunderbolt 2 storage (with Thunderbolt 3 adapter) attached.

I am glad to hear that your iMac Pro is working properly and does not have the problems that I have reported.  I have five Macs now and this is the first time that I have ever had a problem with any of them.  I do realize that not all iMac Pro's have this problem having heard this from owners on other forums.  Unfortunately, my iMac Pro does have the problems and they have been observed clearly by Apple's Senior Advisors using screen sharing on my iMac Pro.  I would just like them to resolve the problem preferably without replacing the iMac Pro, but, if necessary, via a replacement. 
    hodarchia
  • Reply 14 of 34
    hodarhodar Posts: 357member
    tnw2933 said:

Tom

Tom, have you used a different external USB3.0 Hub?

I had a very similar problem with the Mac Mini, as I had 4 external drives, Keyboard, mouse and CAC card reader all on a 3rd party powered USB3.0 Hub.  The USB3.0 spec allows over 1000 mA (1 Amp) per USB port, however the power supply for this USB3.0 hub was only 1500mA (1.5A) for 12 ports.  When you power up, a load of this type will cause the USB Hub to hang, and this hang means that the I/O Controller on your Mac is not getting a non-posted response from the USB, so it hangs (ie. waits forever).

I replaced the $30 Hub with one that was rated for 40.0 Watts vs 12.5 Watts, and my problems immediately went away.

chiawatto_cobradeepinsidercgWerks
  • Reply 15 of 34
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    tnw2933 said:

Tom
    When I bought my 2017 MacBook Pro with Touch Bar back in October, there was a huge, HUGE problem with iTunes, Safari Videos, and Quicktime Videos disabling the F4 function key, requiring a logoff and/or reboot.  For developers, the F4 key was crucial for development work as many tools utilize the function key.  It was a problem that plagued the original Touchbar MacBook Pros, so almost two years.

I was regretting the purchase.  First time ever for an Apple product.  Support was not helping.  So I kept the problem alive by complaining in social media, and their Apple support forums about the problem.  The only work-around I had was to run iTunes in my Windows Virtual Machine and all video viewing there, so I really stuck it to Apple Support that I had to use Windows on my Mac in order for iTunes to not cripple MacOS.

They fixed the problem a month later.

So, if Apple is falling asleep at the wheel, complain loudly on their forums and make the problem know.  They certainly don't like bad press.  Considering the size that Apple is and the cash hoard they have, they should have an army of engineers working on problems like these instead of the small(er) group they have.

I'd love to have the iMac Pro.  I just can't justify the price since I honestly don't have a "need" for it.  It's all want.  Perhaps some day, but I bought a new iMac in late 2015 and by the time that machine fails years down the road, maybe that next iMac will be as fast (if not faster) than the current iMac Pro? 
    chiacgWerks
  • Reply 16 of 34
    hodar said:
    tnw2933 said:

Tom

I had a very similar problem with the Mac Mini, as I had 4 external drives, Keyboard, mouse and CAC card reader all on a 3rd party powered USB3.0 Hub.  The USB3.0 spec allows over 1000 mA (1 Amp) per USB port, however the power supply for this USB3.0 hub was only 1500mA (1.5A) for 12 ports.  When you power up, a load of this type will cause the USB Hub to hang, and this hang means that the I/O Controller on your Mac is not getting a non-posted response from the USB, so it hangs (ie. waits forever).

I replaced the $30 Hub with one that was rated for 40.0 Watts vs 12.5 Watts, and my problems immediately went away.

i concur on this.  USB hubs can be finicky beasts.  Sometimes they are the cause and sometimes they are the solution to problems.  For example, my Drobo 5D3 wouldn't stay mounted on the desktop of my 2008 Mac Pro with a USB 3.0 PCI card until I added a powered hub.  But sometimes a powered hub can have negative effects.  Of course, we're just speculating here.  Tom didn't even say if he was using a powered hub or not.

One thing he could try...many of the Apple Stores now have iMac Pro display units.  You might take one of your drives into one, hook it up and put it to sleep, then wake it up again.  If it works properly, then your machine needs to be replaced.  If the drives exhibit the same behavior in-store, then that's another data point for Apple's service and engineering team.

The Windows 10 issue is more vexing.  Not understanding what that's all about.
    edited January 2018 chiarandominternetpersonwatto_cobracgWerkstenchi211
  • Reply 17 of 34
    tnw2933 said:
    …..Overall, I have been disappointed with my purchase of this nearly $9,000 computer and especially with the fact that after more than two weeks of working with Apple Senior Advisors (who in turn are passing along information to an engineering team) I am no more able to effectively utilize USB external hard drives with my iMac Pro than I was the day I received it form Apple. 

Tom
    For that kind of money, and after reading Fochers feedback above, I would Not walk, but I would Run to the Genius Bar and Demand an immediate Brand New replacement, and accept nothing less. Sometimes we just need to speak up for ourselves !! Great Luck !!!
    edited January 2018 tenchi211
  • Reply 18 of 34
    The anemic OpenCL speed increase may be due to the fact that Apple has not updated OpenCL since the Mac Pro was released. They are several versions back from the current version now. This, and the lack of a NVidia GPU option, is why I can't use Macs to do my work any more.
    cgWerks
  • Reply 19 of 34

My problems with the USB ports on the iMac Pro have all occurred when no hub of any type was used.  The USB drives were plugged directly into the ports on the rear of the iMac Pro.
    bb-15
  • Reply 20 of 34
    tnw2933 said:
    tnw2933 said:

Tom
    The Senior Advisors that I have talked with do not have an iMac Pro to even attempt to replicate the problems with.  I have not only asked for a replacement but I have offered to have Apple put a charge on my credit card for a second iMac Pro identical to the one I now have in order to send me a new iMac Pro by Advance Placement ensuring the minimum down time while an exchange is made.  So far, all I get out of The Senior Advisors is "let's keep working on this" and that is the status that has held for The last two weeks plus. 
    This may not be possible or desirable due to the down time involved, but if Apple won't just replace your machine, then if it were me I'd just wipe the drive and do a clean macOS install with all updates, before connecting any of the various external storage units involved. Then you might be able to isolate the bug as you add software to the system after that. I'd keep the strange (but probably related?) Windows issue(s) out of play until the end of that process, installing it last.

On the other hand, if you were to take the considerable time to do this and it didn't work or even illuminate the source of the problem, you would certainly need to scream and possibly break something. Not the computer! But at least you'd then have a stronger case with Apple for an exchange -- you've gone nuclear and it still isn't fixed.