Apple's iOS 11 installed on 65% of compatible devices, up 6% from December

Posted:
in iPhone
Apple on Friday updated its developer website with fresh iOS 11 adoption statistics, revealing 65 percent of compatible iPhone, iPad and iPod touch devices are now running the current generation operating system.

With iOS 11 adoption hitting 52 percent in November and 59 percent in December, the latest data measured on Thursday shows adoption rates are on a steady upward trajectory, gaining about 6 to 7 percent per month.

Apple notes 28 percent of devices continue to run an iteration of iOS 10, while 7 percent are on older versions of the operating system.

The new information was shared in a post to Apple's App Store support webpage for developers. Unlike third-party sources, Apple gleans its data from App Store visits to provide a more accurate representation of iOS adoption figures.

Released in September, iOS 11 has seen respectable uptake by consumers, but the OS still lags behind its predecessors. Last year, Apple data showed iOS 10 installed on 76 percent of compatible devices in early January, while iOS 9 adoption was pegged at 75 percent at roughly the same time a year prior.

Though it carries a number of desirable features, like an iPad-centric user interface improvements, ARKit support and Apple Pay Cash, iOS 11 has been beset with software bugs ranging from usability issues to security vulnerabilities.

In December, a particularly nasty date-related bug caused some devices with local notifications enabled to enter a crash loop, forcing Apple to push out iOS 11.2 earlier than planned. Prior to that, an odd autocorrect bug that cause the letter "I" to be swapped out for the letter "A" and a question mark icon.

More recently, researchers discovered a glaring HomeKit flaw in iOS 11.2 that granted unauthorized access to internet-connected devices controlled by Apple's smart home platform. Apple patched the hole by disabling guest accounts before permanently fixing the problem in a subsequent iOS release.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    linkmanlinkman Posts: 1,035member
    Big difference between iOS and Android here -- the last 3 major versions of Android have a whopping 55.6% install base combined.

https://developer.android.com/about/dashboards/index.html
    racerhomie3pscooter63netmagelolliver
  • Reply 2 of 29
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    linkman said:
    Big difference between iOS and Android here -- the last 3 major versions of Android have a whopping 55.6% install base combined.

https://developer.android.com/about/dashboards/index.html
    Yet it’s Android FTW for some on this site.
    watto_cobraracerhomie3tmaypscooter63lolliver
  • Reply 3 of 29
    AI_liasAI_lias Posts: 434member
    The numbers would be different if Apple would still sign iOS 10.
    baconstang
  • Reply 4 of 29
    chiachia Posts: 713member
    AI_lias said:
    Seeing that we’re dealing with numbers here, do you have any quantitative evidence to show it’ll be significantly different, or are you merely speaking from sentiment?
    StrangeDaysnetmagelolliver
  • Reply 5 of 29
    I waited until 11.2 to upgrade my iPhone 6. It was so slow as to be unusable. Opening an app took 20 seconds and any screen press took 10 seconds to have effect. 11.2.1 sped things back up at first, but after a week it was slow again. 11.2.2 has been fine so far. 
    edited January 2018 chiasunwukong
  • Reply 6 of 29
    I have an iPad that I'm leaving on iOS 10 to keep running old apps and it is annoying how often it tries to get me to update. I wish I could turn it off. It also keeps downloading IOS 11 in the background and I have to go to storage management in settings to recover the space. 
    muthuk_vanalingambaconstangsunwukong
  • Reply 7 of 29
    It also seems petty of them not to at least keep doing security updates for iOS 10, it is after all only one OS behind... 
    muthuk_vanalingambaconstangsunwukong
  • Reply 8 of 29
    AI_liasAI_lias Posts: 434member
    chia said:
    AI_lias said:
    Seeing that we’re dealing with numbers here, do you have any quantitative evidence to show it’ll be significantly different, or are you merely speaking from sentiment?
    No, just qualitative evidence. I don't know whether they would be significantly different, but I wanted to go back to iOS 10 after upgrading to the first iOS 11 version, which slowed down my wife's iPhone 6 considerably, and also my iPhone 6s Plus (not as considerably). I suspect there were many others like me who would have gone back, until many minor versions later. 
    baconstangsunwukong
  • Reply 9 of 29
    The autocorrect bug has left me devastated, and unable to work... LOL

Wiping the device between major updates works every time.  Sure, backing up (and restoring) the device takes longer, and iTunes is garbage but it’s worth it to avoids all the issues mentioned.

iOS 11 seems to be a “love it” or “hate it” release, but I barely noticed the difference after a day.  Apple Pay Cash is going to be very useful...
    StrangeDayssunwukonglolliver
  • Reply 10 of 29
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    AI_lias said:
    No kidding.  I hate 11.  Apple annoys you into upgrading.  I finally turned it off on my iPhone 7plus and stayed at 10 - yeah no throttling for me.
    baconstangmuthuk_vanalingamsunwukong
  • Reply 11 of 29
    iOS upgrade stats has only one real purpose: serving the needs of developers in determining the rate of technical advancement for their apps. As Apple does its very best to shove upgrades down users throats, their attempt to make hay from the stats is total B.S. The business of trying to force upgrades on users is a direct betrayal of Apple's founding principle of serving the users. Apple has absolutely no respect for its customers. It eternal ivory tower approach is and always has been the worm in the apple.
    muthuk_vanalingamsunwukong
  • Reply 12 of 29
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    LOL THIS PROVES IOS11 SUCKS!!1111 FRAGMENTATION!!

Meanwhile, the latest major release of Android (Oreo) is currently at...0.5%. Yes, one half of a percent. 
    netmagepscooter63lolliver
  • Reply 13 of 29
    dachardachar Posts: 330member
    My wife now has my perfectly usable iPhone 5 and her sister has our old iPad 4. Both of them are fine hardware but they can’t be upgraded to iOS 11.

In the past l think there was not the same software update restrictions between old and new hardware. I am sure there is good reasons for this.

Some may suggest that Apple is restricting software updates  to persuading  owners to replace older iPhones and iPads but l don’t believe this to be true, including the recent battery issues.
  • Reply 14 of 29
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    tyancy said:
    iOS upgrade stats has only one real purpose: serving the needs of developers in determining the rate of technical advancement for their apps. As Apple does its very best to shove upgrades down users throats, their attempt to make hay from the stats is total B.S. The business of trying to force upgrades on users is a direct betrayal of Apple's founding principle of serving the users. Apple has absolutely no respect for its customers. It eternal ivory tower approach is and always has been the worm in the apple.
    You hit the nail on the head.
    muthuk_vanalingamsunwukongnethan9
  • Reply 15 of 29
    thedbathedba Posts: 763member
    k2kw said:
    AI_lias said:
    No kidding.  I hate 11.  Apple annoys you into upgrading.  I finally turned it off on my iPhone 7plus and stayed at 10 - yeah no throttling for me.
    What do you do with your 7+ that it already gets throttled?
    I have a 7 and have been using the hell out of it for a little over a year now, both work and play. Even with iOS 11 and its smaller battery haven’t once experienced any shutdowns or slowdowns.  
    netmagelolliver
  • Reply 16 of 29
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,876member
    More recently, researchers discovered a glaring HomeKit flaw in iOS 11.2 that granted unauthorized access to internet-connected devices controlled by Apple's smart home platform. Apple patched the hole by disabling guest accounts before permanently fixing the problem in a subsequent iOS release.
    Odd choice of words. Glaring means obvious, yet I haven’t heard of anyone encountering it in the wild and AI’s own story said:

“The process, which was not detailed in today's report, is said to be difficult to reproduce.”
    netmagelolliver
  • Reply 17 of 29
    AI_lias said:
    No, because normals don’t care about that crap. They install their updates and move on with life. 
    netmagepscooter63lolliver
  • Reply 18 of 29

k2kw said:
    AI_lias said:
    Do you even read the articles? Peak power draw throttling was introduced in 10.2.1 almost a year ago. Oops. In any event your 7 wouldn’t be anywhere near having a depleted battery unless you’ve been doing 2-3 full charge cycles a day. Sounds like BS to me.  
    edited January 2018 sunwukongwonkothesanemacky the mackynetmagepscooter63lolliver
  • Reply 19 of 29

tyancy said:
    What a load of steaming horse puckey. The fact that Apple values its customers is exactly why they’re the definitive premium devices in the market and the others are just knockoffs. iPhones have the longest useful lifespans in the market and the highest resale values — these are facts. People vote with their wallets and you dudes can’t hate that away. 
    edited January 2018 wonkothesanemacky the mackychianetmagepscooter63lolliver
  • Reply 20 of 29
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    tokyojimu said:
    I waited until 11.2 to upgrade my iPhone 6. It was so slow as to be unusable. Opening an app took 20 seconds and any screen press took 10 seconds to have effect. 11.2.1 sped things back up at first, but after a week it was slow again. 11.2.2 has been fine so far. 
    Blathering bullshit!. I have an iPhone 6 and updated to iOS 11 the day it was released, went through all the point updates and did notice a small lag that certainly did not make it unusable. Unusable? More likely hysterical, overblown nonsense on your part. Give us break!
    wonkothesanenetmagepscooter63lolliver