If iPhone X demand is less than expected, analyst expects it to be 'end of life' when repl...

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 53
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,408member
    tshapi said:
    gatorguy said:
    So Apple is going to terminate production of an iPhone after it replaces it with a new model? 

Holy cow, somebody tell CNBC.
    Daniel, aren't iPhone 7's still in production even tho the 8's and X are out now?

Anyway AFAIK the editor of the AI article was accurate when stating "If this is the case, it would be the first time that Apple has not retained the previous year's model..." Is there a previous instance you can think of? You know far more about Apple than I do. 
    Actually the article is wrong.  Apple aced the 5. When they revealed the 5s instead they introduced the 5c. My guess has always been, the 5s’s only distinguishing feature was the Touch ID so they axed the 5 to keep people from severely cannablizing its sales.  
    And the C was a flop. I still contend had the C been priced like the SE was and Apple offered a few more colors like black it would have been a huge hit.
    Uh, wrong.
  • Reply 42 of 53
    ...KGI says that the iPhone X has not been as impactful in China as predicted because of the notch holding the sensors for the device, giving consumers the impression that there is less usable space than on the iPhone 8 Plus...
    Well... it's true. Even if the notch area were useable screen, there would STILL BE LESS USEABLE SPACE than on the iPhone8+.  The 8+ simply has a larger screen area.  The diagonal measurement is larger on the X, but the actual area of the screen is larger on the 8+.  
    I had always thought the Chinese education system was better than that... are those folks really that unaware of basic maths?

(Personally, I love my X... and i see TONS of them out there in other peoples hands. I'm not convinced it's such a poor-selling product.  I'm inclined to believe Apple is making a killing of of the iPhoneX.)

-edited to add the parenthetical-
    edited January 2018
  • Reply 43 of 53
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    wood1208 said:
    Instead of notch, IPhone LCD 6.1 just puts across top black strip for underneath cameras/sensors. Many people would be happy with it as it gives them perception of complete rectangle full screen, top-down, edge to-edge.
    I dunno. 

I’ve mentioned this before, but I think part of the reason behind the notch is to make the FaceID operation more natural. If they put the sensors above the screen, then when it comes to unlock it then the user would have to look at the top of the phone rather than the screen. Then when the phone unlocks the use has to adjust his phocus to start doing fone stuff. That wouldn’t feel natural; I think that’s why there is a notch rather than a strip. Think about it: a strip would be far easier to implement so there must be a good reason why they didn’t do it. 

edited January 2018
  • Reply 44 of 53
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Right on cue a couple weeks before earnings. Somebody needs the stock to drop.
    The only time we'll ever hear "Right on Cue" from you.
    Post of the week 👍🏾
    fastasleep
  • Reply 45 of 53
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Maybe I've just had my needs change compare to other Apple iPhone users but I returned my iPhone X for a couple reasons. One I need reachability and it is clearly a kludged afterthought on the iPhone X. I found it unusable on demo models and so I decided I couldn't purchase the X. The price increase just about bordered on ridiculous but most people really don't properly calculate it because with the new insane repair costs you either go Applecare or basically go home because $549 to replace the broken glass on the back of your phone is just insane. So the reality is a base price of $1200.

I kept my iPhone 7 but I like new phones. Apple just didn't make anything I wanted to buy this year and that includes the iPhone 8 and 8+.

I know everything is a big slab of glass front and back this year but I didn't buy from anyone else either but I've investigated if I did and most of those glass back repairs wouldn't be $500+ to replace. Many are $20-25 to buy the new glass back.

Maybe the downscale X will not be so breakable and so expensive to replace. I personally could care less about wireless charging if it makes my phone fragile and expensive to repair. So if the downscale X dumped it for a stylish aluminum enclosure and got the price (and potential repair price) point down a couple hundred dollars then I might pull the trigger.

Apple did this with the Apple Watch. The first couple series were all about exotic shells and exotic prices. Now they have aluminum, SS and ceramic and the prices are very reasonable and manageable.

A $799 iPhone X at the current size with no wireless charging, FaceID gen 2 that is even faster and a few other refinements would get my money.
    edited January 2018
  • Reply 46 of 53
    trumptman said:
    ...FaceID gen 2 that is even faster and a few other refinements would get my money.
    (IMO): I think you'd find, if you used the iPhoneX for a bit, FaceID is WAY faster than TouchID ever was.  While faster is always better with these things, it really is plenty fast already.  I will, however, agree with folks that there are a few instances where TouchID was better... (like reaching over to the nightstand without actually picking the phone up.), but (IMO again) FaceID as a whole is vastly superior to TouchID.
    But to each his own... I don't generally upgrade every year, so by putting your upgrade off, you'll have a better phone than I next year. :) 

• Reply 47 of 53
    misamisa Posts: 827member
    Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo has weighed in on iPhone X production rumors, also believing that there has been a reduction in orders -- and because of weak demand the iPhone X design may be a one-up with production ceasing in the summer when replacements for the fall are being produced.

I think contextually the prediction is that there won't be an "X2", and the next phone is just going to be an incremental upgrade to the 8, no OLED, no glass back, no edge-to-edge screen. Heck bring back the 3.5mm headphone jack or add an usb-c jack for it and it will actually look like an upgrade.

Like what people really want is a multi-day battery life, not the current 3 hours. 
    Likewise people want a shell on the phone that isn't easily damaged. Like if you're going to make it out of anything, make it entirely out of quartz, not glass.

Heck, you can do what they do with Quartz countertops and make them different colors.

But he problem is quite literately that there has been little improvement in any smartphone since the 6S, be it iPhone or Samsung Galaxy. We reached a plateau where whatever comes out next is not a doubling of the previous cpu, and the cpu cores have reached the thermal limit without making the phone bigger.

• Reply 48 of 53
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    trumptman said:
    ...FaceID gen 2 that is even faster and a few other refinements would get my money.
    (IMO): I think you'd find, if you used the iPhoneX for a bit, FaceID is WAY faster than TouchID ever was.  While faster is always better with these things, it really is plenty fast already.  I will, however, agree with folks that there are a few instances where TouchID was better... (like reaching over to the nightstand without actually picking the phone up.), but (IMO again) FaceID as a whole is vastly superior to TouchID.
    But to each his own... I don't generally upgrade every year, so by putting your upgrade off, you'll have a better phone than I next year. :) 

Well maybe the field of view for the FaceID will get broader and that will be the improvement.
  • Reply 49 of 53
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,299member
    potatoman said:
    What Id like to see for 2018 iPhones - All models have glass back with wireless charging, all X series phones have Face ID, all classic iPhones remaining with home buttons are iPhone 8 family

iPhone 8 Mini:
    - Rumored to be SE 2 - 4" but now it is curved with glass back, fits in line with iPhone 8 family (last to use home button)
    - 32GB for $499, or 128GB for $599

iPhone 8
    - 64GB for $599, or 256GB for $799

iPhone 8 Plus
    - 64GB for $699, or 256GB for $899

iPhone X SE ( or X Series 1 or iPhone 9)
    LCD 6.1" LCD Display
    - Same specs as original X, maybe single lens camera, size of X Plus but smaller screen, meaning no notch but bit of bezel on top and bottom (this will also be needed to house the backlight for the LCD panel)
    64GB for $799, or 256GB for $949

iPhone X (series 2)
    - 5.8" OLED
    - 64GB for $899, or 256GB for $1,049
    - A11, Camera improvements, selling point is cheaper price

iPhone X Plus (series 2)
    - 6.5" OLED
    - 64GB for $1049, or 256GB for $1,199
    - A11, Camera improvements, largest ever screen. Same Size as X SE but higher screen to body ratio, landscape and multitasking (similar to iPad) exclusives

Starting price points:
    iPhone 8 mini = $499
    iPhone 8 = $599
    iPhone 8 Plus = $699
    iPhone X SE = $799
    iPhone X (series 2) = $899
    iPhone X Plus (series 2) = $1049

I feel like this really cleans up the naming scheme, makes the whole lineup appear current while hitting every price point. Clearly differentiates type of iphone (8 = Touch ID, X = Face ID). The LCD iPhone I believe will be temporary, so I'm calling this the new SE.
    X and SE seem like subbrands and it seems odd to mix them.

The X being the flag ship but could see them adopting (series x) for the year models.
    SE being a streamline product at the low end of their price range.
    Would be great to see smaller sizes back in the range. Certainly fingers crossed here for smaller.

I assuming like others that OLED is still not in good enough supply to keep the X and it's update around. It would seem sensible to stop production and get on with the new one based on A12.

It would be a great time to streamline the lower end and say clear out powerVR GPU's from the line up. So an new SE based on features and case of the 7 but updated internals based on A11 would seem to be timely make it the base for an updates iPod.

Still leaves room for an 8s or 9 depending how long it will take to get enough OLED stock.
    Also means they could just keep two screen sizes in each model. being a above 5.5inch and a small  one around 4.5inch. In the X 4.5 would still be the smallest phone they have made by volume.

To me clear would be X, 8s and SE/iPod each in two sizes.
  • Reply 50 of 53
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,299member
    tshapi said:
    gatorguy said:
    So Apple is going to terminate production of an iPhone after it replaces it with a new model? 

Holy cow, somebody tell CNBC.
    Daniel, aren't iPhone 7's still in production even tho the 8's and X are out now?

Anyway AFAIK the editor of the AI article was accurate when stating "If this is the case, it would be the first time that Apple has not retained the previous year's model..." Is there a previous instance you can think of? You know far more about Apple than I do. 
    Actually the article is wrong.  Apple aced the 5. When they revealed the 5s instead they introduced the 5c. My guess has always been, the 5s’s only distinguishing feature was the Touch ID so they axed the 5 to keep people from severely cannablizing its sales.  
    And the C was a flop. I still contend had the C been priced like the SE was and Apple offered a few more colors like black it would have been a huge hit.
    Still could be, if they could be with the right pitch. Say bioplastic that is recyclable and made from recycled material. Allows wireless charging without fragile glass. 
  • Reply 51 of 53
    John Gruber breaks down this AI story:

https://daringfireball.net/2018/01/iphone_x_one_year
    edited January 2018
  • Reply 52 of 53
    "If this is the case, it would be the first time that Apple has not retained the previous year's model to allow for a wide range of iPhones available at many price points." What a load of rubbish. The original iPhone was dropped a year after it was released. The iPhone 5 was dropped a year after its release. The original Apple Watch was dropped when replacements were launched. It all depends on how Apple want to cover price points - but this article makes it sound like it is abandoning the form factor etc. The most likely scenario is that it is going all out on the form factor with a slew new products.
    edited January 2018