Apple's Tim Cook talks education, says he wouldn't want his nephew using social media

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 38
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    I'm sure Twitter and Facebook will be delighted to hear of Tim's opinion on social media.  /s  

In this case, I don't disagree with him, but I wouldn't presume to dictate to a nephew what they can and cannot do unless I had adopted them.
    Really? You're spending the day or a short vacation with a niece or nephew of whom you are now responsible for since they are a minor. They start to do something that could be potneutally dangerous, life threatening, or illegal (either unbeknownst to them or not), but you, in your infinite wisdom, have made an absolute claim that you "wouldn't presume to dictate to a nephew what they can and cannot do unless [you] had adopted them." Really?! God I hope you have no siblings and if you do that they have no children, and if they do the they don't ever let you watch them based on the commons you've made here today.
    edited January 2018 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 22 of 38
    macxpress said:
    On the flip side, I see people with kids all the time who shouldn't have them. Just because you don't have kids, doesn't mean you don't know how to raise them. Its not like when you have a child you're automatically trained on how to raise a child. Just go to Walmart and you'll see this simply isn't true.
    Agreed.  Nobody knows how to raise kids.  Every child is unique and it follows that what goes into raising each child is unique.  There is no 'right' one way - the same child could be raised successfully with a multitude of different approaches.  Tim's ethos is naturally different to mine (I have 3 children) but nonetheless my ideas are no more worthy than Tim's.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 23 of 38
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    Tone it down a little, and re-read the (new!) commenting guidelines, if you can't see your post.
  • Reply 24 of 38
    gilly33gilly33 Posts: 434member
    Latko said:
    Does Tim’s nephew not have parents? Why would he be deciding if his nephew can use social media? ߤ䦬t;/div>
    I don't see a single reason why Cook - a father without kids - could have the necessary experience, idea or insight about how I should raise my kids. His idea's and nephew are only mobilised when they commercially serve Apple (that fares better by coding monkeys more than by internationally oriented critical well-educated people) No Tim, education isn't an equalizer - it is a accomplishing discriminator. And why would we listen to someone who doesn't understand such basic things ? Cook isn't a great politician, a rather dull than remarkble industry-leader - he was only chosen as the least intriguing guy at a time that Apple had a few too many internal quarrels. And oooohh, if we are supposed to be so stupid as to think that Appstore games aren't addictive, is that intrinsically sheepy behavior from our side or sheer arrogance from the part of an Apple CEO that gets sooooo over-excited with the least of new iOS features ?
    Yeah you are obviously ignorant. Sounds like you were high when you wrote this. Or incoherent.
  • Reply 25 of 38
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    kimberly said:
    macxpress said:
    On the flip side, I see people with kids all the time who shouldn't have them. Just because you don't have kids, doesn't mean you don't know how to raise them. Its not like when you have a child you're automatically trained on how to raise a child. Just go to Walmart and you'll see this simply isn't true.
    Agreed.  Nobody knows how to raise kids.  Every child is unique and it follows that what goes into raising each child is unique.  There is no 'right' one way - the same child could be raised successfully with a multitude of different approaches.  Tim's ethos is naturally different to mine (I have 3 children) but nonetheless my ideas are no more worthy than Tim's.
    At the highest levels and within "societal norms," I agree. There are so many internal and external factors that would need to be considered that you can't create a single, all-inclusive template for raising all children. However, there are certainly a great number of blanket methods which can either help or hinder development.

For one extreme example we can look at the very unfortunate case of Genie. Being a "feral child" who was never spoken to or held throughout her formative years there's absolutely no way that can ever fully recover from that trauma. Her brain simply was never able to get the proper stimuli for it to develop properly. This doesn't mean that she hasn't been able to improve with the proper care and treatment in the right environments, but every step will be a challenge for her mental and physical age to be in sync and there's absolutely no scenario where another human being in her exact situation would somehow "figure out" how to be a normal child within a given society.

Now, if you take a situation like with Ariel Castro who abducted girls and women that had reached a certain level of brain development and societal interaction as a foundation where a certain sense of self could be well established, then those women would still lead normal lives despite that extreme trauma. They will surely need therapy and those poor souls will recover from that trauma in different ways and at different rates because of skills they've acquired prior to the abduction and the dexterity of the brain compared to Genie and other feral children. 

"Give me the child for the first seven years and I will give you the man."  — Jesuit maxim oft attributed to Ignatius Loyola, possibly by Aristotle, and frequently paraphrased by every child psychologist

• Reply 26 of 38
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    aegean said:
    … I do have Twitter installed on my iPhone and I am only following 3 of my most favourite singers (still never posted anything). My most favourite musician from my most favourites has died in 2016, so really I will be deleting even that app anytime. …
    I follow a bunch of people on Twitter without having a Twitter account: I've bookmarked their Twitter page and put similar Twitter pages into a dedicated bookmark folder.

>:x 
  • Reply 27 of 38
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member

dewme said:
    I agree with Tim Cook's sentiment that learning coding is more important than learning a foreign language, …   
    The first language you ought to learn when learning coding is … English. American English, if you don't want to mess up the CSS code.

>:x
  • Reply 28 of 38
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    Latko said:
    I don't see a single reason why Cook - a father without kids - could have the necessary experience, idea or insight about how I should raise my kids. His idea's and nephew are only mobilised when they commercially serve Apple (that fares better by coding monkeys more than by internationally oriented critical well-educated people) No Tim, education isn't an equalizer - it is a accomplishing discriminator. And why would we listen to someone who doesn't understand such basic things ? Cook isn't a great politician, a rather dull than remarkble industry-leader - he was only chosen as the least intriguing guy at a time that Apple had a few too many internal quarrels. And oooohh, if we are supposed to be so stupid as to think that Appstore games aren't addictive, is that intrinsically sheepy behavior from our side or sheer arrogance from the part of an Apple CEO that gets sooooo over-excited with the least of new iOS features ?

What is a "Father without kids"?  

You're post (or rant) can qualify as childish in nature.  It's almost like you have a closet jealousy for Cook.

I don't have kids, but plenty of nephews.  I'm what they refer to as the "Cool uncle".  I'm a software engineer and when they are with me, it's my rules.  Their parents understand that, and my rules means no using computer, phones, etc.  I spend most of my waking hours coding away at work, but as a kid I grew up being outside, playing, not connected at all.  I want my nephews to have the same experiences.  If my sister (their mother) has a problem with it, then she would not let me watch them.  

It takes a village to raise a child.  If anything, your hateful post just shows the failure that your parents were to you. 
    Rayz2016
  • Reply 29 of 38
    sflocal said:
    It takes a village to raise a child.
    Total fucking nonsense.
  • Reply 30 of 38
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    The bigger issue facing humanity going forward is our global stock market systems and how they operate. The motivation for companies via shareholders in this system is greed. Fear, greed and people living for personal futures are why companies do what they do. I am unsure how we move beyond these systems, but I do know if the motivation for companies was something besides money and growth—something more humane, all of these companies including social networks would completely transform for the better.

The stock markets and the very nature of public companies are our biggest issue.
    edited January 2018 tallest skil
  • Reply 31 of 38
    ireland said:
    The stock markets and the very nature of public companies are our biggest issue.
    Bingo, and consequently the system of finance that created them.
  • Reply 32 of 38
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    macxpress said:
    Latko said:
    Does Tim’s nephew not have parents? Why would he be deciding if his nephew can use social media? ߤ䦬t;/div>
    It’s a good thing I’m not in charge. I’d make people take a five-year training course (nutrition, child psychology, first-aid, meditation, martial arts, maths, physics, English + foreign language, religion and other forms of creative fiction, political science, economics, poetry…) before allowing them to have kids. 

edited January 2018
  • Reply 33 of 38
    Soli said:
    I'm sure Twitter and Facebook will be delighted to hear of Tim's opinion on social media.  /s  

In this case, I don't disagree with him, but I wouldn't presume to dictate to a nephew what they can and cannot do unless I had adopted them.
    Really? You're spending the day or a short vacation with a niece or nephew of whom you are now responsible for since they are a minor. They start to do something that could be potneutally dangerous, life threatening, or illegal (either unbeknownst to them or not), but you, in your infinite wisdom, have made an absolute claim that you "wouldn't presume to dictate to a nephew what they can and cannot do unless [you] had adopted them." Really?! God I hope you have no siblings and if you do that they have no children, and if they do the they don't ever let you watch them based on the commons you've made here today.
    “Potneutally” is my new favourite word. 
    Soli
  • Reply 34 of 38

ireland said:
    The bigger issue facing humanity going forward is our global stock market systems and how they operate. The motivation for companies via shareholders in this system is greed. Fear, greed and people living for personal futures are why companies do what they do. I am unsure how we move beyond these systems, but I do know if the motivation for companies was something besides money and growth—something more humane, all of these companies including social networks would completely transform for the better.

Have to disagree with you on that. 

People vote for themselves and not for the good of everybody. As soon as you say the word ‘social’, fifty per cent of the population will translate this into ‘foreigners taking our jobs and paying healthcare for other people’ and vote against it. 

The biggest issue is that we are a naturally selfish species. The corporations have simply adapted to that. 
  • Reply 35 of 38
    mr o said:

...The first language you ought to learn when learning coding is … English. American English...
    Not "English" at all then. :lol: 
  • Reply 36 of 38
    Rayz2016 said:
    The biggest issue is that we are a naturally selfish species.
    “The biggest issue is nature itself” And here we truly see how these people think. No wonder being told that truth is objective hurts their feelings so much.
  • Reply 37 of 38
    Don't blame him for the social media. I think that social media has somewhat led to the demise of society,
  • Reply 38 of 38
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Rayz2016 said:

ireland said:

Have to disagree with you on that. 

People vote for themselves and not for the good of everybody. As soon as you say the word ‘social’, fifty per cent of the population will translate this into ‘foreigners taking our jobs and paying healthcare for other people’ and vote against it. 

The biggest issue is that we are a naturally selfish species. The corporations have simply adapted to that. 
    Respectfully disagree. Those corporations you are referring to are parts of a system and the system is only this way until it's not. Yes, the likelihood that is changes anytime soon is virtually nil, but it doesn't mean it never changes for the better. And that fifty percent argument is heavily influenced by media which for the last many decades has been controlled by a few corporations and few people. Over time as our species begins to wake up to a bigger reality things can change. Things always change. I'm not saying we will suddenly be living in a paradise, but for the sake our ourselves and our species we better start behaving more as a group who needs to look after the group before the world burns beneath our feet.
    edited January 2018