iPhone X seen as 'strategic success' for Apple as 3D sensing cameras 2 years ahead of comp...

Comments

• Reply 21 of 57
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member

I still say the iPhone X is an IQ test. Are people stupid enough to pay $1k for something Apple makes for a little over $300. That is one hell of a markup.
    Cannot for the life of me understand the BFD being  over an OLED screen. As to cameras, I have Leicas that smoke any cell phone snapshot camera.

Price Consciousness should be translated to rational, sentient being. In the end, your $1k does not buy you faster internet, better sound, better battery life or more storage capacity. It does get you a lighter wallet
    Says a man who buys Leica?  The Leica M-series bodies are $7000 and a 50 f2, which is one of Leica's lowest cost lenses is $2300.   The 35 1.4 is $4995.   Does a Leica take photos 3x better than a Nikon, Canon or Sony?    I don't think so.   Is it a more beautiful camera with fit and finish that takes your breath away?  Sure.   But I would contend that most Leica buyers buy them as status symbols.   Not all that different than people who buy the highest-end iPhone and I would contend that Leica's markups are also quite high (if only to pay for German labor).    The difference between Apple and Leica is that Leica's sales are quite niche and a rounding error compared to Apple's.  
    roundaboutnowavon b7StrangeDaysksecrandominternetpersonjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 57
    It's so annoying that the iPhone SE is constantly labeled as the "budget" iPhone for the "price-conscious" consumer. Honestly, it could cost twice as much and I'd still buy it. No doubt there are some consumers who prefer that model for cost reasons, but from all that I've read on the device the primary preference for the SE is the smaller form factor / screen size, NOT the lower price. Just go to any Apple fan site, find an article about the SE, and read the comments: users don't rave about the cost as much as they do the overall size of the device. Personally I'd happily sacrifice the latest features, or even pay twice as much for an iPhone that doesn't require two-handed use and fits comfortably in any pocket. And if they ever packed the tech of an iPhone X into an SE, I'd pay top dollar for that too.
    ksecrandominternetpersonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 57
    I still say the iPhone X is an IQ test. Are people stupid enough to pay $1k for something Apple makes for a little over $300. That is one hell of a markup.
    If I had a Jeff Bezos $100 Billion I would not pay that much for a cell phone and I have no interest in any face recognition system.

Cannot for the life of me understand the BFD being made over an OLED screen. As to cameras, I have Leicas that smoke any cell phone snapshot camera.

Price Consciousness should be translated to rational, sentient being. In the end, your $1k does not buy you faster internet, better sound, better battery life or more storage capacity. It does get you a lighter wallet
    I remember when Apple was criticized for NOT selling a phone with an OLED screen.
    StrangeDaysjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 57
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member

Cannot for the life of me understand the BFD being made over an OLED screen. As to cameras, I have Leicas that smoke any cell phone snapshot camera.

That’s a coincidence. I have a cell phone that smokes your Leica for making phone calls and surfing the internet. 

StrangeDaysksecmacxpressRonnnieOjony0watto_cobraglynhfastasleep
  • Reply 25 of 57
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member

farmboy said:
    If I had a Jeff Bezos $100 Billion I would not pay that much for a cell phone and I have no interest in any face recognition system.

The retail price of any object has almost no relationship to simply the cost of components, whether it's an iPhone or a loaf of bread or a novel. 
    Most people know that. But a few people think that there is no R&D, no assembly costs, no delivery, no training, no tax and no marketing involved in building anything. 

My old economics professor  used to call them “flat thinkers”. 
    StrangeDaysjony0watto_cobrabeowulfschmidtfastasleep
  • Reply 26 of 57
    After Apple shifted to Face ID, all the industry, analysts, reviewers and also users, assume that as the wished spect.
    Although I haven't use an iPhone X yet, I believe that touch ID embedded in the display, could better enhance UX mainly managing lock screen notifications without unlocking the device.
    What I see in iPhone X is a different way to do the same...
    Dealing with home screen full of icons and so on, should be a thing of the past.
    I hope that Google and it's OEM understand that the overall mobile phone UX is stucked whatever the platform.
  • Reply 27 of 57
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,879member

What absolute nonsense. Pro tip —don’t ever buy furniture. Popular retailers like World Market charge at least x2 and preferably x3 what they bought it for. 

Also, don’t eat at restaurants — food is x3 its cost.

...but of course you will because this is normal. Besides the bill of materials (which none of us know for the X anyway), a profitable company has to recoup labor, and overhead (r&d, advertising, roof over their heads, etc). You’re pretending like that ought not happen. Nuts. 

But you hate wealth, we get it. 
    jony0watto_cobrafastasleep
  • Reply 28 of 57
    When I said "touch ID embedded in display" I mean "trully transparent touch ID in any sector of the display"
  • Reply 29 of 57
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    lkrupp said:
    The claim of a two year advantage may be correct but the “good enough” universe is already making equivalency pronouncements. Any article about Face ID or AR on the iPhone X is met with the “Samsung has had face unlocking for years” meme. Just the feature is touted, not the quality or usability of the feature. Apple was not first so therefore Apple is behind. And people accept that argument hook, line, and sinker.
    I agree. There's going to be a lot of "good enough's" diluting the uniqueness of Apple's FaceID. OnePlus has one of the first that properly works and it's also being made available to other Android devices running 7.x or better. Whatever they've done has apparently prevented simple stuff like a photo from fooling it. 
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/bensin/2017/12/21/trying-to-fool-the-oneplus-5ts-scary-fast-face-unlock/#598f30d5b43e
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 30 of 57
    So this is why AAPL is down today when most tech stocks are up 1%.
    Nah, the shorters are gearing up for the next results season. They'll be betting on a 5-10% drop in stock price based upon the iPhone X being a dud (according to some reports)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 57
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    As with all Kuo's notes, we have to keep in mind, his prediction on what happens is based on the limited information he had.

Like he got the phone screen size and pixels count correct very early on, but didn't know about the notch design or was wrong on controlling bottom bar.

But it is hard for me to think that next iPhone X Plus will start at $1099. The price of $1099 is actually not too bad if it was actually the selling price world wide, but when in most places, even including US, consumers will have to pay tax, VAT or different regional pricing, that is another 10 to 30% higher, this is just so far out of reach.  
  • Reply 32 of 57
    metrixmetrix Posts: 256member

I think consumerism is void of people thinking about what the profit margin is of a product. I bought a $70,000 muscle car but can't understand spending $100 for jeans when I can buy them at Burlington for $20. For the price of Sushi/Sashimi I could get 15 fast meals. There are some things that you throw practicality out the door and the Sushi is probably better for you than the burger.
    edited January 2018 watto_cobraglynh
  • Reply 33 of 57
    ksec said:
    As with all Kuo's notes, we have to keep in mind, his prediction on what happens is based on the limited information he had.

Like he got the phone screen size and pixels count correct very early on, but didn't know about the notch design or was wrong on controlling bottom bar.

But it is hard for me to think that next iPhone X Plus will start at $1099. The price of $1099 is actually not too bad if it was actually the selling price world wide, but when in most places, even including US, consumers will have to pay tax, VAT or different regional pricing, that is another 10 to 30% higher, this is just so far out of reach.  
    With repair costs being so high, I believe I read $500+ just to replace the glass back, the real cost for the current X should include a near-mandatory purchase of Apple Care which pushes the prices to $1200 and up. Having the best is seldom cheap, and certainly not for everyone. 
  • Reply 34 of 57
    tjwolftjwolf Posts: 424member
    jbdragon said:
    I don't see Apple dropping the price at all. Since when do they do that? Apple will sell the phone starting at $999 until the iPhone XI or whatever Apple calls it is released later this year. Then the price will drop as it's being replaced.
    The article didn't say Apple would be dropping the price - it says "rather than..dropping the price..."  In other words, Kuo expects Apple to drop the X model/price and have its features included in next year's regularly priced models.
  • Reply 35 of 57
    tjwolftjwolf Posts: 424member

Maybe is an imagination test and those who lack it failed it.
  • Reply 36 of 57
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,693member
    Not sure why he put in the two year reference with FaceID.

It's public knowledge that competitors were not only already working on equivalent 3D depth sensing technologies but that they were giving demos shortly after Apple announced FaceID.

To suggest that they are somehow two years behind Apple doesn't make a lot of sense.
  • Reply 37 of 57
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,693member
    gatorguy said:
    lkrupp said:
    The claim of a two year advantage may be correct but the “good enough” universe is already making equivalency pronouncements. Any article about Face ID or AR on the iPhone X is met with the “Samsung has had face unlocking for years” meme. Just the feature is touted, not the quality or usability of the feature. Apple was not first so therefore Apple is behind. And people accept that argument hook, line, and sinker.
    I agree. There's going to be a lot of "good enough's" diluting the uniqueness of Apple's FaceID. OnePlus has one of the first that properly works and it's also being made available to other Android devices running 7.x or better. Whatever they've done has apparently prevented simple stuff like a photo from fooling it. 
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/bensin/2017/12/21/trying-to-fool-the-oneplus-5ts-scary-fast-face-unlock/#598f30d5b43e
    Yes, and almost a year earlier, the Honor Magic was also working lightning fast but they limited the result to screen unlock. 

https://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/huawei-honor-magic-hands-on-ces-2017/

Shortly after that the same technology was approved for authorising payments in China.

3D depth sensing will be added but I wonder if the fingerprint scanner will be kept to give users options?

• Reply 38 of 57

That was sarcasm right? I mean you even said you have Leica cameras... talk about over-priced! ;)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 57
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,879member
    gatorguy said:
    lkrupp said:
    A device that's a collection of "good enough's" is the definition of a knockoff. 
    edited January 2018 jony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 40 of 57
    gatorguy said:
    lkrupp said:
    A device that's a collection of "good enough's" is the definition of a knockoff. 
    I agree with you. Knock-off's or not though the technology's marketing value is still diluted.
    edited January 2018