Entry-level 2018 6.1-inch iPhone may be LCD, cost between $700 and $800

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited June 2020
An investor's note is shedding some more light on previous prognostications, saying again that moving at least some iPhone X features to the entire line will boost sales volume -- and has some predictions on specifications of the 6.1-inch LCD model.

In a note seen by AppleInsider Ming-Chi Kuo from KGI Securities still predicts that the fall 2018 phones will ship in 5.8- and 6.5-inch sizes in OLED, with a lower-priced 6.1-inch device on tap as well. He believes that the 6.1-inch device will have a single rear camera, and an aluminum frame, eschewing stainless steel.

Additionally, Kuo claims that it will lack 3D touch, and have 3GB of RAM, as compared to 4GB in the OLED models. The motherboard isn't expected to be stacked in the 6.1-inch model, a design that debuted in the iPhone X.

As a result of the three models, all featuring some level of iPhone X technology, Kuo predicts that Apple will ship between 80 and 90 million phones after launch. Of those, Kuo expects about 50 percent to be the 6.1-inch LED model, priced between $700 and $800.

It is unclear where in the development process the three models lie, however. Kuo claims that the 6.1-inch LED device is lagging a bit behind the OLED models. However, Apple may start the certification process early to prevent any possible delays -- but how a certification process may smooth out any production problems that may pop up isn't clear.

Kuo previously stated that the iPhone X would not be kept in the lineup with the release of the fall 2018 refresh.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 39
    Please tell us the notch is going to go away
    kestral
  • Reply 2 of 39
    dws-2dws-2 Posts: 276member
    I'm all over this, except no 3D touch is strange. Makes me think that Apple will never make 3D more than it is right now -- a very minor feature.

Other than that, I think this phone is a good idea. It allows Apple to stretch its range of product prices without any of the new phones looking out of date.
  • Reply 3 of 39
    berndog said:
    I LOVE the notch!
    mavemufcmike1doozydozennetmagelolliverberndogGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 4 of 39
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,056member
    If you buy 2, will they work together? 
  • Reply 5 of 39
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,056member
    berndog said:
    Yes, but you'll get that feature later in the year.
  • Reply 6 of 39
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,844member
    berndog said:
    Let me guess -- you dont have a X? Because in actual use it's such a non-issue I don't spend a single thought on it. Got mine day 1 and haven't thought about it at all, except to reply to the haters who don't actually have one. It just doesn't come up in day to day use. I spend way more thoughts thinking about how cool the rounded-corners look and how well they work with apps.

You gotta put the sensors somewhere. For now this is where they go. Not a big deal.
    mike1napoleon_phoneapartdoozydozennetmagetmaylolliverh2pGeorgeBMaccornchip
  • Reply 7 of 39
    berndog said:
    Do you have the X? if so, I'm surprised it annoys you cause I literary don't notice it 90% of the time, and every other X user tells me the same.
    mike1boltsfan17doozydozennetmagelolliverStrangeDaysGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 8 of 39
    I don't spend a single thought on it. Got mine day 1 and haven't thought about it at all, except to reply to the haters who don't actually have one. It just doesn't come up in day to day use. I spend way more thoughts thinking about how cool the rounded-corners look and how well they work with apps.
    I notice the notch in mine, but not once has it bugged me and left me frustrated that it's eating into screen space. And I totally agree on the rounded corners. One of the most unique things I've seen. I don't see many people mention this on the X (and maybe this is because I upgraded from an iPhone 6), but the screen on the X literally feels like you're touching the elements on the screen. I'm amazed at how thin they are able to make the glass now.
    lolliverfastasleepStrangeDaysGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 9 of 39
    mknelsonmknelson Posts: 1,120member
    mavemufc said:
    berndog said:
    Do you have the X? if so, I'm surprised it annoys you cause I literary don't notice it 90% of the time, and every other X user tells me the same.
    Sometimes it's the only way I know which end is up.
    mike1chiadoozydozennetmagesandorlolliverh2pfastasleepberndogmavemufc
  • Reply 10 of 39
    3D Touch should be in all iPhones
    dws-2doozydozennetmagerogifan_newlollivercornchip
  • Reply 11 of 39
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    berndog said:
    Why?
    doozydozennetmageStrangeDays
  • Reply 12 of 39
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    mavemufc said:
    berndog said:
    The notch does not bother me one bit. I really don't notice it at all. I don't understand why people complain about it. 
    king editor the gratedoozydozennetmagelolliverStrangeDaysGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 13 of 39
    jason98jason98 Posts: 768member
    dws-2 said:
    I'm all over this, except no 3D touch is strange. Makes me think that Apple will never make 3D more than it is right now -- a very minor feature.
    I think it would be a first time a feature is literaly removed from iPhone. If true, perhaps Apple finally admits something everyone knew already -  3d touch was gimmick. 
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 14 of 39
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,258member
    I would be happy to save some $$ by going with LCD rather than OLED, and I rarely use 3D Touch, so I don’t mind losing that.

But I like having the “telephoto” second lens — i wouldn’t want to lose that.
    crosslad
  • Reply 15 of 39
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    "6.1-inch iPhone may be LCD" - what this st..id statement ? There is no MAY BE. It is LCD 6.1" iPhone X. Might be courageous for Apple to put thin small bar across top for FaceID, sensors. If you don't like notch than buy this LCD 6.1" iphone.
    edited January 2018
  • Reply 16 of 39
    Heck, it *may* come with a Lightning to SCSI dongle.
    netmage
  • Reply 17 of 39
    jason98 said:
    dws-2 said:
    I think it would be a first time a feature is literaly removed from iPhone. If true, perhaps Apple finally admits something everyone knew already -  3d touch was gimmick. 
    The home button and Touch ID were a gimmick and thus purged as well.
    cornchip
  • Reply 18 of 39
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    jason98 said:
    dws-2 said:
    The home button and Touch ID were a gimmick and thus purged as well.
    Not undermining passcode but the home button and underneath touchid was the best security feature.

• Reply 19 of 39
    jason98 said:
    dws-2 said:
    It’s no more a gimmick than a contextual right-click of a mouse on a desktop platform. They are both hidden features and thus unused by the overwhelming majority of users. 
    netmagelolliver
  • Reply 20 of 39
    AI_liasAI_lias Posts: 434member
    blastdoor said:
    I would be happy to save some $$ by going with LCD rather than OLED, and I rarely use 3D Touch, so I don’t mind losing that.

But I like having the “telephoto” second lens — i wouldn’t want to lose that.
    I always thought that the OLED will come with better benefit for the battery life, but that does not seem to be the case. Wasn't OLED supposed to improve battery life, or it did improve it in the X, but was eaten back up again by other tech included in this phone?