After speculative reports of slow sales, iPhone X is now said to be in the "high end of th...

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 38
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member

Most of you already figure this out.

The analysis have been at their dirty tricks to drive the stock down going into the numbers, it has not work well, they got so desperate they attempted to plant a story Apple was killing the iPhone X even that whopper did not turn the stock south. This is all done so they can get their friends a lower price then sell it after the numbers come out and make a nice profit in a few short weeks. The reason these tactic usually work if they know fund manager react to change in the price within a certain %, and these trades happen almost automatically.

Now they going to drive it up higher since they could not get a 5% to 10% drop so they will attempt to drive it up 5% to 10%.

entropyswatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 38
    bbhbbh Posts: 134member
     :)  I'll take 10% up, thank you very much. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 38
    NY1822 said:
    Magnet for the 1 Trillion $$$ market cap....ߚ⦬t;/div>
    As much as I wish it were possible, Apple will never get the respect and praise like the FANG stocks do.  I'm willing to bet Apple's share price won't even move up one-tenth of what Netflix stock price did if it goes up at all.  Exactly how does a stock get a P/E of 200 and is seen as perfectly acceptable?  That's just sickening to have to put up with every quarter.  Nothing the FANG companies do are ever wrong.  Their share prices just keep constantly climbing without fail.  I didn't see one negative article about any FANG stock this quarter.  FANG shareholders never have to face doom and gloom.  The analysts and news media only seem to focus on Apple's supposed failure in every market they're in.  Unlike Amazon who is immediately given a win in every market it enters even if it has no experience in it, Apple's ventures are always in grave doubt.  An analyst only needs to hear some unsubstantiated or unconfirmed rumor about Apple and that's enough to generate an article telling how Apple is in deep trouble.

Although I wish Apple's share price could go up close to the $1T market cap, I'll gladly settle on Apple's share price going up to around $185 after earnings.  All the FANG stocks will have fantastic share gains and Apple will be the lone straggler.  No matter.  If Apple gives me a dividend with a greater increase, then I'll smile and consider it a win.  If the analysts want to crap on Apple then there's nothing much I or Apple can do about it.  I have no choice but to settle for increased dividends which Apple does have control over.

My best wishes to all fellow Apple shareholders.  I hope Apple doesn't have to stand out as the lone major tech stock that missed all expectations during the holiday season.  That would be really sad for a company sitting on $200B of cash.
    edited January 2018
  • Reply 24 of 38
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    MacPro said:
    gatorguy said:
    gatorguy said:
    I posted this earlier in the day for those that missed it:

Another day and another report on 4th quarter iPhone sales, this one worldwide rather than US-specific. 

According to Canalys (in a report released today) the iPhone X was the most successful smartphone model in the period, shipping 29 million units with 7 million of those slated for Chinese buyers.
    Strange how a casual reader has this info at their finger tips, yet a website dedicated to Apple news fail to f

Props to you sir.

Unlike Newsweek, we don't report on market analysis until we get the entire report from the firm. 

We don't run with just three paragraphs, or an interpretation of somebody else's read.
    FWIW the snippet I posted was from the early press release they sent me, and I totally agree it's simply proper journalism to wait for the entire report before doing an actual article here. No reflection whatsoever on AI and none was intended. 
    So you get sent press releases ... ?
    Yes, but it's not connected to any specific business or relationship. 
  • Reply 25 of 38
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    gatorguy said:

Another day and another report on 4th quarter iPhone sales, this one worldwide rather than US-specific. 

According to Canalys (in a report released today) the iPhone X was the most successful smartphone model in the period, shipping 29 million units with 7 million of those slated for Chinese buyers.

“The iPhone X performance is impressive for a device priced at US$999, but it is slightly below industry expectations,” said Ben Stanton, Analyst at Canalys. “Apple struggled with supply issues in early November, but achieved a massive uplift in production in late November and throughout December. This helped it meet and even exceed demand in some markets by the end of the quarter. One major benefit to Apple is that customers are increasingly realizing the residual value of their old smartphones, opting for trade-in programs to offset the high price of the iPhone X. But that big price tag, and Apple’s split launch strategy, still had an impact, and shipments were not the fastest ever for an iPhone.”
    It depends on what you are expecting. And since everyone / analyst have different expectation it is hard to judge. I think most expect Apple to ship 75 - 80M unit this quarter. The question is what do you expect the iPhone X % of those 80M to be.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 38
    Rags like Forbes (the worst!), Newsweek, and other purportedly "reputable" sources for news all ran this same story of doom and gloom based on talking head Ming-Chi Quo(ta)'s NOT AS RELIABLE AS SO MANY WOULD HAVE US BELIEVE bullsh!t! But that's what "news" has become…………rumor, talking heads, WTF-Market-analysts speculating for what I see as two goals. One - be the first to publish (or steal) news, and two - a strong liklihood that they stand to benefit from their doom and gloom with reports designed to send stock prices lower - SO THAT THEY CAN BUY! (P.S. Gordon Kelly [Forbes], get a job for which you are qualified - for instance, a National Enquirer contributing expert on alien invasions!).
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 38
    It seems to me the iPhone X has been a major success, however, I'll be honest; I would return my iPhone X for an iPhone 8 Plus right now if I could (without jumping through hoops).  I'm an Apple fan, and have used many of their products for many years.  For me, this is one of the first Apple products that has presented me with an overall downgraded experience versus the previous product.  I am not unhappy with the phone, but if I had the choice I'd switch back.  Of course, the iPhone X is excellent, and I love many things about it.  My main complaint, however, and the reason why I actually prefer the older design, is FaceID.  In my use case scenario I find FaceID far more of an annoyance versus TouchID.  When the situation is right, of course, FaceID works beautifully.  But I am talking about phone on the desk, laying in bed, not looking at the phone from the exact angle, etc.  In my use case scenario anyway, it's simply more inconvenient versus TouchID.   If the X had both TouchID and FaceID it would be near perfect.  Alas, I will keep my X until the next upgrade cycle.  If TouchID doesn't make a re-apperance on the next iPhone, then I'll go with the other design.  Just my two cents.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 38
    Shipped is not the same as Sold! Dummies...
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 38
    When are we actually going to get the official numbers from Apple? by the end of this week?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 38
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    ksec said:
    gatorguy said:

“The iPhone X performance is impressive for a device priced at US$999, but it is slightly below industry expectations,” said Ben Stanton, Analyst at Canalys. “Apple struggled with supply issues in early November, but achieved a massive uplift in production in late November and throughout December. This helped it meet and even exceed demand in some markets by the end of the quarter. One major benefit to Apple is that customers are increasingly realizing the residual value of their old smartphones, opting for trade-in programs to offset the high price of the iPhone X. But that big price tag, and Apple’s split launch strategy, still had an impact, and shipments were not the fastest ever for an iPhone.”
    It depends on what you are expecting. And since everyone / analyst have different expectation it is hard to judge. I think most expect Apple to ship 75 - 80M unit this quarter. The question is what do you expect the iPhone X % of those 80M to be.

I think that Apple is going to hit closer to 90 million iPhones shipped in the holiday quarter, possibly more.  The analysts aren't anywhere near the right number.  Apple will report more than $90B in revenue, more than 90M iPhones sold, and guide to a great March quarter, as Chinese New Year is going to make iPhone Xs fly off the shelves there.

The stock will soar like it did last year when the surprise was just as high.  (Remember the "final YOLO" dude last year?  Priceless!)
    lkruppwatto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 38
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member

It seems to me the iPhone X has been a major success, however, I'll be honest; I would return my iPhone X for an iPhone 8 Plus right now if I could (without jumping through hoops).  I'm an Apple fan, and have used many of their products for many years.  For me, this is one of the first Apple products that has presented me with an overall downgraded experience versus the previous product.  I am not unhappy with the phone, but if I had the choice I'd switch back.  Of course, the iPhone X is excellent, and I love many things about it.  My main complaint, however, and the reason why I actually prefer the older design, is FaceID.  In my use case scenario I find FaceID far more of an annoyance versus TouchID.  When the situation is right, of course, FaceID works beautifully.  But I am talking about phone on the desk, laying in bed, not looking at the phone from the exact angle, etc.  In my use case scenario anyway, it's simply more inconvenient versus TouchID.   If the X had both TouchID and FaceID it would be near perfect.  Alas, I will keep my X until the next upgrade cycle.  If TouchID doesn't make a re-apperance on the next iPhone, then I'll go with the other design.  Just my two cents.
    I agree about FaceID vs TouchID 100%.

But I wouldn't opt for the iPhone 8 Plus to get TouchID back.  I value the screen size vs footprint more than the difference between FaceID and TouchID.  Barely.

If we could get TouchID back on a future version of iPhone X (or whatever it is called) I would be in hog heaven!

watto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 38
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    It blew my mind this morning to hear none other than Rush Limbaugh talking about this for at least twenty minutes on his show. He pretty much explained this in the same way this article does, accused the tech media of being anti-Apple, theorized that Samsung was paying for the negative reports. He’s been giving away iPhone X’s on his show and wanted to clear the air, he said.

And yes, I listen to Rush Limbaugh, Rachel Maddow, Bill Maher, Fox News, MSNBC just to get the picture from the lunatic fringe crowd. It’s always a good laugh.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 38
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    mavemufc said:
    When are we actually going to get the official numbers from Apple? by the end of this week?
    Shipped and sold are pretty close for Apple in general, inventory is very low for everyone, third party and Apple, especially during the holiday quarter.
    Past earning reports versus so called "analyst" crap bear this out plainly.

watto_cobramavemufc
  • Reply 34 of 38
    thompr said:

I agree about FaceID vs TouchID 100%.

It’s really surprising to read experiences from real iPhone X users who feel negatively about FaceID, saying it doesn’t work on a desk or at different angles, etc.

Initially FaceID wouldn’t recognise me at angles or in certain lighting, and sometimes it’d fail even when I was looking at it straight (rarely, but sometimes). But after a week or two FaceID would recognise me on a desk at an angle and then in bed. Now it’s even better.

So in my mind it’s a really nice improvement over TouchID. I like not having to put my finger on a phone to unlock it—I just pick it up and swipe up on the screen. In fact it is at least as fast as TouchID for my usage, and I don’t even need to think about it.

Have you two tried moderate angles at a desk (or in bed) and then entering your passcode when/if it fails? If not, try it out. I suspect it’ll start recognising you eventually.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 38
    lkrupp said:
    It blew my mind this morning to hear none other than Rush Limbaugh talking about this for at least twenty minutes on his show. He pretty much explained this in the same way this article does, accused the tech media of being anti-Apple, theorized that Samsung was paying for the negative reports. He’s been giving away iPhone X’s on his show and wanted to clear the air, he said.

And yes, I listen to Rush Limbaugh, Rachel Maddow, Bill Maher, Fox News, MSNBC just to get the picture from the lunatic fringe crowd. It’s always a good laugh.
    how does it feel that the "lunatic fringe crowd" is the one actually getting the news right?
  • Reply 36 of 38
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,316member
    lkrupp said:
    And to think investors buy and sell on this bullshit, but fear and greed are the name of the game.
    Hey a couple of idiots and some badly trained trade bots seems to be all it takes for someone to make coin pushing stories like this.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 38
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    lkrupp said:

how does it feel that the "lunatic fringe crowd" is the one actually getting the news right?
    Which one, Fox,..... hahahahahaha, funny.  Though 95% of the day schedule is now opinion / punditry, so they probably should remove News from their name, MSNBC probably has about 70% of the same so they'd probably need to do the same too.

The false equivalence of putting all those as equivalent on the same line though is a complete rhetorical failure.

Sites like Snope demonstrate that they're not all the same, and that getting anything right means nothing if that happens 5% of the time.
    The use of "false equivalence" and "strawman" as a way of framing arguments is near constant online these days.

Pundits / commenter which have invaded many of those channels are in general the worse at actual news and offer something more like funny house view of "news", the more high profile / flamboyant the personality the worse the result will be so Limbaugh wose than Maher, both being much worse than Maddow who is worse than Joy Reid. Not even talking about the "president whisperers" (sic) at Fox and Friends that  no one would even confuse with peddling actual news except maybe that guy in some whitish house built on swamp near the Potomac...

• Reply 38 of 38
    Lemonstre@hotmail.com[email protected] Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    Thanks Dan for bringing some sense...again. 
    watto_cobra