Apple starts search for retail employees to staff its upcoming Washington D.C. Carnegie Li...

Posted:
in General Discussion
Apple has put the call out for employees at its store in the Carnegie Library in Washington D.C, with the company's Jobs at Apple board showing listings for a variety of positions at the retail location, in preparation for its opening later this year.

The listings in question on Jobs at Apple all state they are "Retail" functions at "Various" locations, but come up under a search for work relating to the Carnegie Library specifically. A total of 14 different roles are offered at the store, though Apple will certainly require more employees than that number at the store, including multiple staff members in some of the more public-facing positions.

Apple typically starts hiring employees for stores a few months before the store itself launches, to give it time to train the new recruits ahead of the grand opening. Though the date of the opening is unknown, the job listings posted on Friday could indicate the location will be open for business this summer.

Months of talks between Apple and Events D.C. the District's sports and conventions authority ended in December 2016, but Apple didn't receive permission to renovate the Carnegie Library until July 2017.

The plans for the store will apparently be more than a renovation of the interior, with it reportedly being outfitted in accordance with Apple retail chief Angela Ahrendt's vision. Free concerts will be hosted at the store once it's opened, along with art exhibitions and educational workshops.

The library's book collection will be relocated, with the space converted to hold Apple's "Genius Grove." Existing reading rooms will become product demonstration areas.

Apple will allegedly pay market rent for the space, along with a sum between $1 million and $2 million to Events D.C. to compensate for any losses related to the store being in the rented space, versus its prior use. The space Apple is leasing is said to measure around 63,000 square feet, with the design reportedly tasked to frequent collaborator Foster + Partners.

Events D.C. Will continue to retain rights to use the space for meetings and events several times a year, and maintain a small office space.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    If I recall correctly, at least one AI staffer lives in the DMV, as do I.  Let us know if you'll be at the grand opening, so I can say hi.  The new store is within sight of my workplace (lucky me!).
    watto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 2 of 3
    JWSCJWSC Posts: 1,203member
    D.C. epicenter.  A national landmark.  K Street.  Can’t get a much more prominent location than that.

(Unless one day Apple gets so big they take over running the U.S. Government and move the retail store into the White House.)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 3
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    I'll have to keep an eye out for the opening - it's a hop skip and a jump from my work.