Siri now actively used on more than 500M devices, up from 375M in June

Posted:
in iPhone
Apple buried a tasty tidbit in Tuesday's HomePod press release, revealing that its Siri virtual assistant is being "actively used" on over half a billion devices, a figure up from more than 375 million in June.

Apple last updated its public Siri adoption numbers at the Worldwide Developers Conference in 2017, meaning the voice activated assistant made its way to 125 million new devices over a seven month span.

"Siri, now actively used on over half a billion devices, has developed a deep knowledge of music and understands your preferences and tastes," Apple says in a HomePod press release issued today.

To put that number into perspective, Apple sold 87.7 iPhones, 21.7 million iPads and 9.7 million Macs in the third and forth fiscal quarters, totaling some 119.1 million Siri-capable devices. Apple does not disclose Apple Watch metrics, a device that also sports Siri integration, but some estimates put sales between approximately 10 million and 15 million units for 2017. Likewise, Apple TV sales are not disclosed, though fourth- and fifth-generation variants incorporate a version of Siri for media navigation and answering basic queries.

Apple has yet to release earnings for its first fiscal quarter of 2018, a period that likely added tens of millions of devices to the final count.

Perhaps luring new users to Siri are improvements to the service rolled out as part of iOS 11 in September. First announced at WWDC last June, the new and improved Siri features a more natural voice powered by deep learning technology.

Siri also received language translation tools and system-wide integrations that help the assistant adapt to user input.

On Apple Watch, a new Siri watch face debuted as part of watchOS 4. Like system integrations in iOS, the new Watch feature proactively pulls information it deems relevant to a user and displays it onscreen throughout the day. For example, Siri on Apple Watch can show weather notifications, upcoming calendar events and breaking news alerts.

With HomePod, Apple hopes to bring Siri into the home with an initial slate of capabilities like sending messages, setting timers, playing media and controlling HomeKit accessories, among other tasks. Considering Siri serves as HomePod's main method of user control, and a major selling point, adoption should rise in line with sales of the smart speaker.

HomePod preorders kick off on Friday ahead of shipments on Feb. 9.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    iPhone X user, still transfixed periodically by the amazements it provides. Only cursing is me screaming at that £€¥^?§§#$&@ assistant of sorts. I keep having middling hopes but usually give up and *shudder* googlerize it. 
    wlym[Deleted User]SpamSandwich
  • Reply 2 of 23
    wlymwlym Posts: 102member
    Other than setting timers and alarms or calling friends with easy to pronounce names, Siri is so unreliable that I've stopped bothering to use it anymore. On my Apple Watch it's a joke.

"Deep learning"? Deep what exactly?
    aylk[Deleted User]SpamSandwichking editor the grate
  • Reply 3 of 23
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,520member
    wlym said:
    Other than setting timers and alarms or calling friends with easy to pronounce names, Siri is so unreliable that I've stopped bothering to use it anymore. On my Apple Watch it's a joke.

I think the spike in users is due to Apple CarPlay and the fact that it comes as standard on most new cars now.

I would fall into the active category because I sometimes use my watch to set timers in the kitchen and my iPhone in the car with CarPlay to choose music and perhaps dial someone.

But even with that Siri barely manages without an issue. I asked it the other day to play a mix of club tracks from the 90's, not a chance, no matter which way I asked the question it just kept coming back with some dumb response.

Text messages are frequently full of mistakes, time spelt out as Ten Fifteen as opposed to 10:15, words incorrectly spelt etc.

I'm sure the other voice assistants are not perfect either, but Siri struggles with the basics.
    edited January 2018 aylkwlym
  • Reply 4 of 23
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    saarek said:
    wlym said:

I think the spike in users is due to Apple CarPlay and the fact that it comes as standard on most new cars now.

I would fall into the active category because I sometimes use my watch to set timers in the kitchen and my iPhone in the car with CarPlay to choose music and perhaps dial someone.

But even with that Siri barely manages without an issue. I asked it the other day to play a mix of club tracks from the 90's, not a chance, no matter which way I asked the question it just kept coming back with some dumb response.

Text messages are frequently full of mistakes, time spelt out as Ten Fifteen as opposed to 10:15, words incorrectly spelt etc.

I'm sure the other voice assistants are not perfect either, but Siri struggles with the basics.
    1)I I'll reiterate that many of these issues may go away once you get to try Siri on a device with an array of far-field microphones.

2) I don't know why, but Siri on the Watch seems to work better. That said, I still get far too many "Hold on…" messages when making a simple command. No idea what the hold up could be when the Siri service wants me to wait, but it's far too long for this sort of service. Alexa has always felt so fast that it can seem like it's reading your mind. Even double-tapping the Fn key on my Mac to bring up dictation takes about 5 seconds to activate, which I think uses Siri for the transcoding.

3) I don't think CarPlay is by any stretch a standard.. Most manufacturers offer it, but it depends on both the model and the package. CES had a plethora of automobiles that were going to be offering it later this year or next, and BMW will be offering it with an $80 per annum fee despite the UI for CarPlay actually residing within the iPhone.

4) I'm certainly an "active" Siri user across 4 devices, and yet all of them combined is considerably less used than any one of my Echos, despite my Watch and iPhone almost always on my person. This "actively used" pat on the back is even more of a lame duck than Google talking about Android activations if you use it as an argument for being the best option available.
    LukeCage
  • Reply 5 of 23
    How many are classed as active since Siri is on by default on new devices and it is VERY easy to accidentally call on her.

I switched mine off but realised I could not use CarPlay without it for whatever reason. Note: I've used CarPlay for Spotify, Apple Music, Internet Radio, Messages and navigation and haven't used Siri once so I'm not sure why it's "required" at all.

My kids regularly call on Siri accidentally on their iPads with a long home button press, guess they're "active Siri users" too!
  • Reply 6 of 23
    I use Siri all the time but it only seems to get worse over time. Yesterday I asked her where Harley-Davidson’s headquarters is and she told me someplace in Austria. 

And dictation just loves to insert the names of contacts into my sentences. Wi-Fi becomes Wu-Fi thanks to my friend Mary Wu. 
    edited January 2018 kitatitking editor the grate
  • Reply 7 of 23
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    adm1 said:
    I switched mine off but realised I could not use CarPlay without it for whatever reason. Note: I've used CarPlay for Spotify, Apple Music, Internet Radio, Messages and navigation and haven't used Siri once so I'm not sure why it's "required" at all.
    So even with CarPlay you never use hands-free commands—only the touchscreen? What about dictation on your iPhone keypad? If you do either of those things you're actively using Siri.
    edited January 2018
  • Reply 8 of 23
    I love Siri a lot. Even my mom knows how to use it. My damn MOM. She also likes her voice. Podcast integration has been really useful too.
    For people with weird accents I suggest using the 'Type to Siri' feature. It works OK too.

brertechlolliver
  • Reply 9 of 23
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Soli said:
    saarek said:
    wlym said:

1)I I'll reiterate that many of these issues may go away once you get to try Siri on a device with an array of far-field microphones.

2) I don't know why, but Siri on the Watch seems to work better. That said, I still get far too many "Hold on…" messages when making a simple command. No idea what the hold up could be when the Siri service wants me to wait, but it's far too long for this sort of service. Alexa has always felt so fast that it can seem like it's reading your mind. Even double-tapping the Fn key on my Mac to bring up dictation takes about 5 seconds to activate, which I think uses Siri for the transcoding.

3) I don't think CarPlay is by any stretch a standard.. Most manufacturers offer it, but it depends on both the model and the package. CES had a plethora of automobiles that were going to be offering it later this year or next, and BMW will be offering it with an $80 per annum fee despite the UI for CarPlay actually residing within the iPhone.

4) I'm certainly an "active" Siri user across 4 devices, and yet all of them combined is considerably less used than any one of my Echos, despite my Watch and iPhone almost always on my person. This "actively used" pat on the back is even more of a lame duck than Google talking about Android activations if you use it as an argument for being the best option available.
    Concerning point number 2. I see the same thing, but I found that I don’t have to ‘hold on’. Just carry on talking and it catches up. 

And though I’m not Siri’s biggest fan, I always remember the golden rule of the inter webs:
    If you like something, say nothing. 
    If you don’t like something, post on a blog

I’d also agree that CarPlay is far from a standard.
  • Reply 10 of 23
    trydtryd Posts: 143member
    It is not actively used by me. The times I have tried Siri, she(?) has so far not understood any of my commands. Totally useless. 
  • Reply 11 of 23
    I "actively" use it maybe 1-2 a day. I say "Hey, Siri" <long pause> "Set a time for 15 minutes" or "Wake me up at 6:30." That is all I use it for. Completely useless otherwise.

I would use it even more if I didn't have to pause. Why can't I say "Hey Siri, set a time for 15 minutes" without the pause? So annoying.
  • Reply 12 of 23
    NY1822NY1822 Posts: 621member
    The main reason i use Siri is for HomeKit. Siri on the watch is very convenient when i am putting on my shoes to leave my apartment and I say "turn off all lights"....what exactly are people using their echo and google home for that is radically better than Siri? setting timers...cooking instructions? hahaha...please.
    Homepod will only further the experience with playing Podcasts and eventually controlling apple tv.
  • Reply 13 of 23
    mindwaves said:
    I "actively" use it maybe 1-2 a day. I say "Hey, Siri" <long pause> "Set a time for 15 minutes" or "Wake me up at 6:30." That is all I use it for. Completely useless otherwise.

I would use it even more if I didn't have to pause. Why can't I say "Hey Siri, set a time for 15 minutes" without the pause? So annoying.

? iphone 7 here, no need to wait at all. Works every time

edited January 2018 mike1lolliver
  • Reply 14 of 23
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    I use Siri all the time and rarely have any issues. Gets directions OK. I dictate text messages all the time. Love that I can insert proper punctuation.
    I think many of the complaints regarding Siri are due to poor internet connectivity. Compared to Amazon products, which are always used at home, with presumably reliable WiFi, Siri is used in the wild with spotty/slow data coverage and often unreliable/very slow public WiFi.
    brertech
  • Reply 15 of 23
    mindwaves said:

Someone mentioned the same thing about pausing the other day. Pausing isn’t a requirement, you say, “Hey, Siri, set a timer for 15 minutes” and you’ll get a 15 minute timer. No need to pause. 

I use Siri all the time, several times throughout the day, mostly on my Watch but also on iPhone and iPad. I rarely have any issues (aside from the occasional “Hold on...”) and the responses are fast. Just a quick rundown of my daily uses all on my Watch: timers, conversions, fairly simple math (like “what is 33% of 1142?”), HomeKit, texts, sports scores. 

I can can see how many of those would be handy on HomePod. I hadn’t realized we would be able to transfer calls to it, I’m interested in hearing how that sounds as I generally dislike the speakerphone on most cell phones. 
  • Reply 16 of 23
    tokyojimu said:
    I use Siri all the time but it only seems to get worse over time. Yesterday I asked her where Harley-Davidson’s headquarters is and she told me someplace in Austria. 
    No doubt for me that Siri has improved over time. Though I am frequently surprised in the vast differences in response for different people asking the same thing. Just now when I asked where the headquarters for Harley-Davidson is Siri gave me the choice of 3 dealerships in Maps, all within 20 miles, or I could tap to view the Wikipedia page about Harley-Davidson. When I tapped for the Wikipedia page a preview was loaded in the Siri screen and a quick scroll shows the headquarters is in Milwaukee. Granted, neither of those answers the question verbally but the Wikipedia link has the answer, so I don’t really count that as a failure.  

edited January 2018
  • Reply 17 of 23
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,520member
    mindwaves said:

Someone mentioned the same thing about pausing the other day. Pausing isn’t a requirement, you say, “Hey, Siri, set a timer for 15 minutes” and you’ll get a 15 minute timer. No need to pause. 

I use Siri all the time, several times throughout the day, mostly on my Watch but also on iPhone and iPad. I rarely have any issues (aside from the occasional “Hold on...”) and the responses are fast. Just a quick rundown of my daily uses all on my Watch: timers, conversions, fairly simple math (like “what is 33% of 1142?”), HomeKit, texts, sports scores. 

I can can see how many of those would be handy on HomePod. I hadn’t realized we would be able to transfer calls to it, I’m interested in hearing how that sounds as I generally dislike the speakerphone on most cell phones. 
    It was me who mentioned it, I believe. The issue seems to come from how one interacts with Siri.

If interacting using a button, Car/Mac/iDevice you need to wait. But with Hey Siri you don’t need to.
    edited January 2018 ihatescreennames
  • Reply 18 of 23
    saarek said:
    mindwaves said:

If interacting using a button, Car/Mac/iDevice you need to wait. But with Hey Siri you don’t need to.
    Oh, yes. And I think there was a follow up comment about the wait-confusion being tied to the different methods to invoke Siri. Maybe there’s a different way to do it using the button but waiting for the tones makes sense, to me. The button can be used for different things so how else would we know that Siri was ready, other than by just staring at the screen?
  • Reply 19 of 23
    mwhitemwhite Posts: 287member
    Siri worked great on my iPhone 6s then my daughter got an X and I got her 7 and it won't hardly ever answer when I use hey Siri or when I try to do a voice message in iMessage not sure if it's Siri the microphone on the iPhone..
    edited January 2018 king editor the grate
  • Reply 20 of 23
    Siri is useless, save for the most inane tasks. It infuriates me.
    king editor the grate