Jamf now manages more than 9M Apple devices

Posted:
in General Discussion
Enterprise device management firm Jamf recapped 2017 growth in an announcement on Tuesday, saying it closed the year managing two million additional Apple devices, bringing the company's total to more than 9 million unit deployments.

Jamf CEO Dean Hager speaking at the Jamf Nation User Conference in October.

Jamf said 2017 was a "record year," as the company grew its customer base by 40 percent with the addition of more than 4,000 new organizations that use Apple devices like iPhone, iPad, Mac and Apple TV. That growth rate, along with a 94 percent customer retention rate, helped drive a 30 percent increase in revenue and a 40 percent uptick in recurring revenue.

Counted among Jamf's customers are 17 of the 25 largest Fortune 500 companies, the top 10 global marketing groups, 10 of the top 11 children's hospitals, 7 of the top 10 U.S. media companies and 6,000 educational institutions.

Apple has been keen on expanding its reach into the enterprise marketplace through strategic partnerships, but third-party device management solutions like those offered by Jamf also present an avenue of growth.

Jamf's success is a good barometer of Apple's efforts in enterprise. When the device management firm sees a record year, it means more businesses are turning to Apple's ecosystem instead of competing solutions like incumbent Microsoft.

As noted by Jamf CEO Dean Hager at the Jamf Nation User Conference in October, Apple helped enterprise focus on the user with its emphasis on a compatible ecosystem. At the time, Hager said that not only was Mac adoption growing, but more customers are opting for totable computing devices like iPad.

The October event highlighted the new Jamf Pro 10 enterprise device management software, which streamlines mass deployments for businesses and organizations. A number of big-name corporations rely on Jamf software to corral their Apple devices, including SAP and Capital One.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    danvmdanvm Posts: 1,400member

Jamf's success is a good barometer of Apple's efforts in enterprise. When the device management firm sees a record year, it means more businesses are turning to Apple's ecosystem instead of competing solutions like incumbent Microsoft.

It's good to see enterprises adopting Apple devices.  But I don't see them turning to an Apple ecosystem (I don't think they even have one), specially when they have so few things to offer compared to many vendors, including Microsoft.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    I love using Jamf Pro. I use it everyday to manage our Macs and iOS devices. Its so much easier and far more intuitive than using Microsoft's SCCM which is the equivalent to Jamf Pro. They also have a great community on Jamf Nation and their support is also great whenever you need them. SCCM is a typical Microsoft program that is 10x harder to use than it should be...even for the most simplest task, such as pulling up a query for something specific. 

I also use SCCM to manage/image our Windows PC's on a daily basis so I have experience in both. 
    edited January 2018 GeorgeBMacJonInAtlwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 9
    BluntBlunt Posts: 224member
    macxpress said:
    SCCM is a typical Microsoft program that is 10x harder to use than it should be...

Making easy to use stuff is hard. Sometimes i see people working with Windows programs and it's like your back in the dark ages.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 9
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    I wonder if they could do a Survey for their enterprise users, whether they like the new Butterfly keyboard. That is a very good user base for opinion.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 9
    zk_zk_ Posts: 1member
    Probably what helped them get bought by Vista Equity Partners. I hope they can keep it up.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 9
    ksec said:
    I wonder if they could do a Survey for their enterprise users, whether they like the new Butterfly keyboard. That is a very good user base for opinion.
    Why does this matter and what does that have to do with this article? We get it, you don't like the new keyboard style. I doubt its changing so either deal with it or go get something else. If Apple starts to see its sale slump because of the keyboard then maybe they'll change it. Until then, I don't see it as an issue. 
    jony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Their customers must love dealing with a company with an unpronounceable name.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Their customers must love dealing with a company with an unpronounceable name.
    Why is it so hard to say Jamf (jamph)? Anyone using their products knows how to say it, and anyone not using their products and figure it out. Its not really that hard.  I don't really get your comment. 

edited January 2018
  • Reply 9 of 9
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,241member
    How do these prices compare to Microsoft client licenses? Are these client license worth the reduction in IT staff salaries? 

$3.33 per/month per iOS or tvOS device*
    $6.67 per/month per Mac*
    Education and volume discounts available.

*Price per month based on pre-paid subscription, billed annually. 50-seat minimum for commercial; 100-seat minimum for education.
    https://www.jamf.com/pricing/

It appears Jamf makes their server software available to run on almost anything, as long as you're willing to install and maintain Java:

The Jamf Software Server (JSS) is the server component for the Casper Suite. The JSS is required for macOS and iOS management, and can be installed on any platform running Java 1.7 or 1.8, Apache Tomcat 7 or 8, and MySQL 5.5.x or 5.6.x.

The JSS is easy to install and maintain on a variety of 64-bit server platforms including Mac OS X Server 10.7, 10.8, 10.9, 10.10, 10.11 or 10.12; Ubuntu 12.04 LTS Server, Ubuntu 14.04 LTS Server; Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) 6.4, 6.5, 6.6 or 7.0; and Windows Server 2008 R2 or Windows Server 2012 R2. The Casper Suite includes an installer utility that allows you to easily install the JSS on these platforms.

jony0